Author Topic: God Of War (reboot)  (Read 24774 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
God Of War (reboot)
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:20:48 pm »
No thread?

So GoW has been one of my favourite franchises since ps2. Great hack and slash action, mindless bloody fun.

But not for everyone...

God of War has been rebooted by Sony Santa Monica. With a big emphasis on a more complex Kratos. No longer a one dimensional individual on a path of destruction and rage but one which takes on a new maturity, a father figure, a character with more depth than previous.

It's been quoted as a little bit Witcher, a little TLOU, a little Dark Souls with still some old fashioned God Of War intertwined.

So who's picking it up next Friday? It's already getting reviewed and seems to be doing well

http://i.imgur.com/h5aW9cl.gif < for whatever reason the gif won't embed
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:28:43 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: God Of War (reboot)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 02:44:45 pm »
Getting some crazy good reviews. Do I need to play the older ones to know what's going on? Never played one before

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 02:56:53 pm »
Getting some crazy good reviews. Do I need to play the older ones to know what's going on? Never played one before

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No you don't have to of played the old ones.

Offline SyukriJ

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Out of darkness cometh light
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 03:35:15 pm »
I missed the Amazon prime pre-order. Where's the cheapest i can pre-order this from? Everywhere seems expensive!
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog you must stick together" - Bob Paisley

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 03:38:01 pm »
I disagree with you Mr Upinsmoke that it is mindless hack and slash fun. Some of the puzzles were pretty hard to solve. But I was smoking weed back then maybe that's the reason I found them hard. Not too keen on this father/son thing but it'll be a blast anyway. Glad it got good reviews and really looking forward to this.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 03:41:44 pm »
I disagree with you Mr Upinsmoke that it is mindless hack and slash fun. Some of the puzzles were pretty hard to solve. But I was smoking weed back then maybe that's the reason I found them hard. Not too keen on this father/son thing but it'll be a blast anyway. Glad it got good reviews and really looking forward to this.

Yeah some of the puzzles were pretty good but it was more about the gore, the most fucked up ways to kill an enemy and the huge bosses, for me anyway.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 03:42:17 pm »
I missed the Amazon prime pre-order. Where's the cheapest i can pre-order this from? Everywhere seems expensive!

Try Smyths

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 04:26:00 pm »
I really enjoyed the original trilogy but this trend towards every game being sone "cinematic masterpiece" that's boring as fuck to actually play seems to have claimed another one.

Maybe by the time I finish Horizon this will be cheap enough to try.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 04:55:54 pm »
I really enjoyed the original trilogy but this trend towards every game being sone "cinematic masterpiece" that's boring as fuck to actually play seems to have claimed another one.

Maybe by the time I finish Horizon this will be cheap enough to try.

What are it's other victims?

Not sure how you can jump to that conclusion without playing it and considering the reviews haven't mentioned it being boring. But Okie doke
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:58:00 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 04:59:38 pm »

I thought the same, and from the trailers I thought it actually looked a bit dull, but from all those 10/10 reviews it must be pretty special.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 05:00:38 pm »
Never played them, but it sounded good in previews I read a few weeks back. Killed the reviews so I’ll defo pick it up at some point.

Offline SyukriJ

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Out of darkness cometh light
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 05:17:27 pm »
Try Smyths
Just pre-ordered. Thanks!
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog you must stick together" - Bob Paisley

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 05:41:14 pm »
What are it's other victims?

Not sure how you can jump to that conclusion without playing it and considering the reviews haven't mentioned it being boring. But Okie doke

Last of Us, Horizon, the last Uncharted. All cinematic masterpieces that were boring to actually play through.

I thought the same, and from the trailers I thought it actually looked a bit dull, but from all those 10/10 reviews it must be pretty special.

I hope so, but it looks far too similar to Horizon for me to be comfortable trusting reviews.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 05:53:59 pm »
Last of Us, Horizon, the last Uncharted. All cinematic masterpieces that were boring to actually play through.

I hope so, but it looks far too similar to Horizon for me to be comfortable trusting reviews.

I disagree with your opinion, with the exception of Uncharted 3 & 4. :)
:D

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 06:04:41 pm »
I disagree with your opinion, with the exception of Uncharted 3 & 4. :)

Horizon is the worst of them all!

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 06:59:03 pm »
horizon was dull to me. last of us was brilliant though.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 08:16:21 pm »
Currently the highest rated ps4 game of the generation if you discount TLOU and GTAV which were both remasters.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 08:21:13 pm »

Horizon got some pretty average reviews beyond the obvious ones though.

I've still got Horizon, have done tops a couple of hours of it mainly because whilst a massive world the voice acting is boring and disinteresting and I couldn't really get into the character development despite initially being wowed by how good the graphics looked.

The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 were great games, both cinematically and through game play itself but it's a game and it's about combining both in these genres.

I loved the last rendition of the God of War franchise and whilst largely different I'm still going to pick this up pretty much because since day one it looked amazing and the reviews are trickling out to back it up.

Offline Vlads

• Anny Roader
  • We've only won it six times..
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 09:26:32 pm »

Lads, I dont know what yor opinions are about the youtuber skillup but he has a SPOILER-FREE review of the game.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uyYbCNp1Rjk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uyYbCNp1Rjk</a>

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 12:03:13 am »
Pre-ordered this and Yakuza 6 today. Can't wait.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 09:31:15 am »
This is the one game (And Ratchet & Clank!) that has me tempted to get a PS4...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 09:36:11 am by Mr Mingebag Squid »
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 09:47:06 am »
I have never played a single GoW game, dunno why, just never have, but I have pre-ordered this digitally, it looks awesome and the reviews are great! I am excited!

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 10:25:54 am »
This is the one game (And Ratchet & Clank!) that has me tempted to get a PS4...

Don't have my PS4 any more but Ratchet & Clank was good crack :)

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 12:43:56 pm »
I have never played a single GoW game, dunno why, just never have, but I have pre-ordered this digitally, it looks awesome and the reviews are great! I am excited!
You are in for a treat. The God of War games are very well done.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 04:51:32 pm »

Horizon is the worst of them all!

WOW! really? I thought it was one of, if not the, best games I played in 2017. Could rave about Horizon for ages, the completely believeable 'history of the future' they'd written, the story telling, gameplay, controls, rock/paper/scissors element... I mean blimey, I know opinions differ, but... wow.

Anyway, for me, fact this has been likened to Horizon and Bloodborne is nothing short of **insert Randy Marsh Spooky Ghost image**

Can't wait.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 04:55:59 pm »
WOW! really? I thought it was one of, if not the, best games I played in 2017. Could rave about Horizon for ages, the completely believeable 'history of the future' they'd written, the story telling, gameplay, controls, rock/paper/scissors element... I mean blimey, I know opinions differ, but... wow.

Anyway, for me, fact this has been likened to Horizon and Bloodborne is nothing short of **insert Randy Marsh Spooky Ghost image**

Can't wait.

I too loved Horizon, finding all the recording and documents detailing what happened etc and seeing how the world changed etc... loved it, the enemies were cool, combat was great... etc... but I guess everyone is different, I thought Bloodbourne was meh/average at best for example and everyone else I know thinks it's one of the best games ever.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 04:59:31 pm »

Can't wait.

I'm sure there was a good game in there, somewhere beneath the giant unending open world nonsense and the boring missions. It felt like a good game, it just had no meat to it's bones, everything felt paper thin.

For me that's the difference between truly great games, like Red Dead and GTA and the pretenders like Uncharted and Last of Us. Everything you do feels like it has weight to it. They don't feel video gamey. The latter ones pretend to do stealth and pretend to do platforming (or whatever), but it's just a nod in the right direction and makes no difference to the experience.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 05:00:53 pm »
I too loved Horizon, finding all the recording and documents detailing what happened etc and seeing how the world changed etc... loved it, the enemies were cool, combat was great... etc... but I guess everyone is different, I thought Bloodbourne was meh/average at best for example and everyone else I know thinks it's one of the best games ever.

I loved that aspect, the viewpoints detailing that guys last days on earth. Climbing all that way to get to the vantage points which showed off the map that they'd built, how it had overgrown etc. The story was magnificent as well, like you say. Ahhh.... just got that gaming nostalgia feel

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2018, 06:04:47 pm »

I agree with you on this to a certain extent. Horizon and TLoU both had enjoyable and fun gameplay elements in there, both notably in combat, but that got spread too thin, not least in Horizon's case, where the game felt like a point A-to-B to progress the story with very little in between. I think developers need to be reminded that they are making a game first, and not an interactive story book. There's a genre in itself for that. 

They don't feel video gamey
In regards to a Rockstar game? I think it's the opposite to that. That's the reason why they're so good to play. Rockstar have always had genuine pedigree though when it comes to gameplay. From Lemmings, to Body Harvest, to GTA. Story and visuals are an afterthought to them, almost.

I hate the modern trend of these perfect scores. It's gotten to the point where if a publication gives an arbitrary score of something like 91%, or heaven forbid, in the high 80's, then it's dismissed as being biased or some other shite like that. I stopped trusting game journalism well over a decade or so ago because of this.

In saying that, the reviews this game is getting all seem to be unanimous that it's a good game. That's all I'll take from it. It looks good, but it looks like another one of those that looks like it's chasing a trend set by Naughty Dog. What's different is that it isn't ND. There's actual imagination there, and I love mythology as it gives artists working on it plenty of subject matter to work from. This is the kind of game that would translate brilliantly to the big screen if it were done right.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:08:24 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 08:50:59 pm »
I think developers need to be reminded that they are making a game first, and not an interactive story book.

Why do they need to be reminded of this? Some of my favourite games growing up were essentially interactive story books, it's not a new trend. The voice acting and graphical fidelity are new or improved but that's about it. There's something different about being in a world that is trying to tell a story, it is why people wank over TLOU - the gameplay is good but the delivery of the story and the world is amazing.

We've transcended surely from what games should or should not be. My favourite games over the last few years have been Mario Kart 8, Dark Souls 3, The Witcher 3 and The Last of Us, all markedly different games who cater to different people. It's all horses for courses I guess, I've never really managed to get into GTA though the original 2D one was absolutely fantastic.

I think the God of War/Last of Us comparisons miss the mark a bit, God of War always had story and cinematic elements - they've just made him more human and less like a chaotic hero type. I think the original had really run it's course and Santa Monica blew about $120mil of Sony's money on their failed project.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 08:58:10 pm »
God of War wasn't a failed project Kash. Not in my opinionanyhow, it was what it was. A visceral experience, high octane, epic boss fights with cool as fuck 'run of the mill' enemies.

Granted ascension never hit the mark, but I see that as an issue with the genre, similar to subsequent releases of devil may cry, the formula never changed but people weren't digging it anymore.

Like music or film I see things going full circle and for me these kind of experiences as cinematic experiences are what people want right now. Something a little deeper, thought provoking etc

I'm not disagreeing with the rest of your post btw, just the last line in the grander scheme of things.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2018, 10:15:21 pm »

For me that's the difference between truly great games, like Red Dead and GTA and the pretenders like Uncharted and Last of Us. Everything you do feels like it has weight to it. They don't feel video gamey. The latter ones pretend to do stealth and pretend to do platforming (or whatever), but it's just a nod in the right direction and makes no difference to the experience.
I'm guessing you played TLOU on easy/normal mode then because if you played it on the harder ones there's no way you'd be saying that about it.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 10:42:09 pm »
I'm guessing you played TLOU on easy/normal mode then because if you played it on the harder ones there's no way you'd be saying that about it.

Is it harder because the game is completely different? Because if not, it's the token stealth-that-doesn't-quite-work nonsense I already played. Same as all the others.

When a game forces you into playing what the developers want you to, I lose interest. Uncharted lost me when you had a fucking rocket launcher boss fight. Horizon lost me when they clearly wanted everyone to appreciate their world building instead of actually playing the game. God of War might not be like that, but it looks like it and I'm not paying $80 for The Last of Horizon 5: Drake of War.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2018, 11:10:25 pm »
Why do they need to be reminded of this? Some of my favourite games growing up were essentially interactive story books, it's not a new trend. The voice acting and graphical fidelity are new or improved but that's about it. There's something different about being in a world that is trying to tell a story, it is why people wank over TLOU - the gameplay is good but the delivery of the story and the world is amazing.

We've transcended surely from what games should or should not be. My favourite games over the last few years have been Mario Kart 8, Dark Souls 3, The Witcher 3 and The Last of Us, all markedly different games who cater to different people. It's all horses for courses I guess, I've never really managed to get into GTA though the original 2D one was absolutely fantastic.

I think the God of War/Last of Us comparisons miss the mark a bit, God of War always had story and cinematic elements - they've just made him more human and less like a chaotic hero type. I think the original had really run it's course and Santa Monica blew about $120mil of Sony's money on their failed project.

Na, not for me. Story driven games are great and all, but you play them once, then tend not to go back. That's how I feel about most of them, and I include the Mass Effect Trilogy in that, which for me was the pinnacle and still a benchmark. The thing is, at least in ME you had 'options' of how to interact and what to do next, even actions you took were optional. That's a game. Games where Story takes precedence over everything, just feels like a rollercoaster where you fairy your character from one section to the other in order to progress to the next cutscene. I don't mind that, but it's as I say, its a one off experience and it's not something I ever feel like going back to after I'm done with it. Even games like Resident Evil that had story elements there still felt more like a game because of the location and the amount of puzzle solving and backtracking involved. That's the reason why I went back to the HD remake of it, and I felt it still held up.

It's as you say regarding the different types of games, but some games are more of a "game" than others, or at least have more pure game elements in it, rather than it having just nice cinematics. Games, as good as they've gotten, and as advanced as the technology has came, still won't get near a well made film or a TV show, or book, in terms of actually telling a story.

TLoU was a great game, though. I just think it's overrated for what it was, but what stood out most when I played it was the world building details.  The best thing about that game was actually its multiplayer, which sadly just seemed to get neglected.

GoW does look great. Not sure about its gameplay, but I love the look of it with all its mythological creatures and stuff.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:24:17 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 03:05:21 am »
God of War wasn't a failed project Kash. Not in my opinionanyhow, it was what it was. A visceral experience, high octane, epic boss fights with cool as fuck 'run of the mill' enemies.

Santa Monica spent around $120mil on a Sci Fi game that never got released, I was referring to that. God of War has by all means been a successful series.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2018, 03:18:45 am »
Na, not for me. Story driven games are great and all, but you play them once, then tend not to go back. That's how I feel about most of them, and I include the Mass Effect Trilogy in that, which for me was the pinnacle and still a benchmark. The thing is, at least in ME you had 'options' of how to interact and what to do next, even actions you took were optional. That's a game. Games where Story takes precedence over everything, just feels like a rollercoaster where you fairy your character from one section to the other in order to progress to the next cutscene. I don't mind that, but it's as I say, its a one off experience and it's not something I ever feel like going back to after I'm done with it. Even games like Resident Evil that had story elements there still felt more like a game because of the location and the amount of puzzle solving and backtracking involved. That's the reason why I went back to the HD remake of it, and I felt it still held up.

It's as you say regarding the different types of games, but some games are more of a "game" than others, or at least have more pure game elements in it, rather than it having just nice cinematics. Games, as good as they've gotten, and as advanced as the technology has came, still won't get near a well made film or a TV show, or book, in terms of actually telling a story.

TLoU was a great game, though. I just think it's overrated for what it was, but what stood out most when I played it was the world building details.  The best thing about that game was actually its multiplayer, which sadly just seemed to get neglected.

GoW does look great. Not sure about its gameplay, but I love the look of it with all its mythological creatures and stuff.

I agree that these games can lack replay-ability, but other than films from my youth I don't tend to re-watch many movies either - it's a bit similar and both still leave a mark if done right. I think there are many games that are guilty of running from point A to B to unlock a cut scene, what sets games like TLOU apart is the pacing and how it blends into the general gameplay... I guess fluidity of all elements is key. Uncharted 3 and 4 on the other hand were incredibly guilty of this, for me. The Witcher 3 just about strikes the right balance in this regard whilst games like Skyrim or Fallout go too far the other way. But many people like those games so what do I know!

Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus are probably the best at telling a story through the world itself, that's definitely something more unique to the medium. Welcoming that these sort of games  are starting to sell more nowadays.

Agree on TLOU's multiplayer, put about 100 hours into it. Shame there hasn't been much like it since to be honest.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:34:01 am by Kashinoda »

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2018, 03:28:18 am »
I can't believe some of the opinions I'm seeing in here. TLOU and Uncharted 4 not great games?  :o
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2018, 03:32:57 am »
I can't believe some of the opinions I'm seeing in here. TLOU and Uncharted 4 not great games?  :o

TLOU is a masterpiece, Uncharted 4 is boring :P

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2018, 03:34:08 am »

The first Uncharted was about as good an experience as I've had playing video games. The second was a good sequel. The third was a shitty mess. The last one was utter shite.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2018, 03:55:57 am »
TLOU is a masterpiece, Uncharted 4 is boring :P
The first Uncharted was about as good an experience as I've had playing video games. The second was a good sequel. The third was a shitty mess. The last one was utter shite.

You're both crazy  :P
Twitter: @Bailey_90