Author Topic: Anybody here a qualified airline pilot?  (Read 6034 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Anybody here a qualified airline pilot?
« on: June 1, 2015, 02:53:13 pm »
Any airline pilots on here?

I've been looking into how to become a pilot lately and was wondering if there was anybody on here who can offer advice or help on the best training courses and airlines that offer them?

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anybody here a qualified airline pilot?
« Reply #1 on: June 1, 2015, 02:58:02 pm »
Paying your TV Licence and Council Tax is a good start.

Then download the latest Flight Simulator game and you're in.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2015, 03:02:09 pm »

:lmao quality.

I'd start by running around with my arms out wide and making a 'nnnnnneeeeeeeeeeooooooooow' sound.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2015, 03:07:49 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fgfkaW44GWs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fgfkaW44GWs</a>

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2015, 03:24:24 pm »
Check this website out, most of BA train here, http://www.caeoaa.com/

No time for caution.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2015, 03:29:07 pm »

:wellin :lmao
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 1, 2015, 04:00:32 pm »

How people found that funny on here I'll never know, bad wool behaviour.

Offline JonnyDubb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7 on: June 1, 2015, 04:39:09 pm »
I'm no pilot but I'd have thought joining the RAF would give you the best training. Again I'm purely speculating, but after a few years service you could surely walk into most commercial airline jobs.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 1, 2015, 04:46:32 pm »
Someone I knew at Uni joined the RAF to try and make it as a pilot there. With the intention of becoming a commercial pilot when he left. I never kept in touch so don't know how he got on. I think you need minimum A Levels to do that and it's no guarantee you will be selected once you join.

I know someone in the family who is an air traffic controller and they received pilot training and so many flying hours when they were training. If you want you can pay yourself for the extra hours to get a licence. One of their friends did that and left to become a full time pilot. ATC is a pretty damn good salary anyway.

If you are paying yourself for private training, I would think it's pretty expensive to get to commercial pilot standard.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 1, 2015, 04:48:03 pm »
How people found that funny on here I'll never know, bad wool behaviour.

Some people have great memories

TV Licenses and Council Tax.

;D

And a few posts in the TV License fee thread
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 1, 2015, 05:24:14 pm »
Some people have great memories

And a few posts in the TV License fee thread

Yeah I know what I said mate the point I was making was the joke was irrelevant to the thread I made, and it was shit.

Nice one everyone who gave some info regarding the thread.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 1, 2015, 05:54:16 pm »
Mate of mine is.he got his license in south africa on an intensive course for around a year at a cost of 100k  whilst he is fully qualified its massively intense.and getting a job at the end of it is difficult.he now works in IT in london and every month has to fly a minimum of four hours to maintain his licence which whilst fun it costs him over 250 quid an hour.so its a grand a month he is falking out just to keep it...on top of the 100k outlays
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 1, 2015, 07:14:34 pm »
Mate of mine is.he got his license in south africa on an intensive course for around a year at a cost of 100k  whilst he is fully qualified its massively intense.and getting a job at the end of it is difficult.he now works in IT in london and every month has to fly a minimum of four hours to maintain his licence which whilst fun it costs him over 250 quid an hour.so its a grand a month he is falking out just to keep it...on top of the 100k outlays

Yeah that's expensive, I checked out BA and Virgin training courses and they were asking for around 100-109k and your not even guaranteed to pass!

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #13 on: June 1, 2015, 08:39:06 pm »
Bus driver mate, much better job, but you'll have to watch out for the old biddies getting on for free with their "bus passes" (yeah right!).

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #14 on: June 1, 2015, 08:40:21 pm »
I'm sure there is a pilot on here, or if not a pilot someone who knows a hell of a lot about the aviation industry. I can't think of who it is though.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: June 1, 2015, 08:41:41 pm »
I'm sure there is a pilot on here, or if not a pilot someone who knows a hell of a lot about the aviation industry. I can't think of who it is though.

"Good afternoon, Capon Debaser here"

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #16 on: June 1, 2015, 09:31:18 pm »
I was in the RAF but know fuck all about flying as I spent my 12 years in the bar...

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #17 on: June 1, 2015, 09:44:42 pm »
Any airline pilots on here?

I've been looking into how to become a pilot lately and was wondering if there was anybody on here who can offer advice or help on the best training courses and airlines that offer them?
probably not the best place to start ones research, but hop into the numerous air crash threads to find out who the experts are.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #18 on: June 1, 2015, 09:51:30 pm »
Yeah that's expensive, I checked out BA and Virgin training courses and they were asking for around 100-109k and your not even guaranteed to pass!

Why on earth would they guarantee a pass? Would you be comfortable on a flight with a pilot who got his qualifications and job by just turning up to training because he was guaranteed a pass?
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 2, 2015, 12:37:23 am »
Anybody here a qualified airline pilot?

Anybody asking that in this place must be be fucking mad.    :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #20 on: June 2, 2015, 12:43:30 am »

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: June 2, 2015, 07:05:55 am »
Ladies and gentleman, this is your stewardess speaking. We regret any inconvenience the sudden cabin movement might have caused. This is due to periodic air pockets we encountered. There's no reason to become alarmed and we hope you enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 2, 2015, 08:38:28 am »
As others have said, unless you are super intelligent with a raft of A-levels that gets you a sponsorship from one of the airlines you will need 100k in the bank to even think about going on a training course.

The daughters ex-boyfriend had a few A-Levels and a rich relative so did his Pilot training not so long back in Southampton and New Zealand over the course of 2 years for 100k +. He eventually got qualified and a load of them on his course initially got taken on by Monarch who he still flies for now. Although he got laid of shortly after joining Monarch he was lucky and managed to get back on with them flying out of Manchester as his base.  As Roady says above though, it isn't easy getting work even once you have your license.

Me and the missus were rubbing our hands thinking about the free Monarch flights we could get on his family discounts but the daughter finished with him not long after because he was a bit of a miserable bastard to be honest and now she goes out with a lad who works in a bakery.

Free muffins and crumpets just isn't the same as free flights to Alicante :no

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: June 2, 2015, 08:41:41 am »
Just don't ask him about his iced fingers eh Pete?

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 2, 2015, 08:45:18 am »
Just don't ask him about his iced fingers eh Pete?

Muffin, crumpet and Iced fingers all in the space of 2 posts :)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #25 on: June 2, 2015, 08:47:57 am »
I've got a mate who's a pilot and first thing you need is a shit tonne of money. His training cost him in excess of £100k but he was fortunate enough that his girlfriend's family at the time were absolutely loaded and could loan him the money. They split up years ago but he's still paying her dad back.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #26 on: June 2, 2015, 08:51:46 am »
I was in the RAF but know fuck all about flying as I spent my 12 years in the bar...

so you're a lawyer
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #27 on: June 2, 2015, 09:36:10 am »
As others have said, unless you are super intelligent with a raft of A-levels that gets you a sponsorship from one of the airlines you will need 100k in the bank to even think about going on a training course.

The daughters ex-boyfriend had a few A-Levels and a rich relative so did his Pilot training not so long back in Southampton and New Zealand over the course of 2 years for 100k +. He eventually got qualified and a load of them on his course initially got taken on by Monarch who he still flies for now. Although he got laid of shortly after joining Monarch he was lucky and managed to get back on with them flying out of Manchester as his base.  As Roady says above though, it isn't easy getting work even once you have your license.

Me and the missus were rubbing our hands thinking about the free Monarch flights we could get on his family discounts but the daughter finished with him not long after because he was a bit of a miserable bastard to be honest and now she goes out with a lad who works in a bakery.

Free muffins and crumpets just isn't the same as free flights to Alicante :no
My cousin did it for €80k, then about €20k to pay for Ryanair's own training. He started with Ryanair abotu 2-3 years ago.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 2, 2015, 01:00:26 pm »
My cousin did it for €80k, then about €20k to pay for Ryanair's own training. He started with Ryanair abotu 2-3 years ago.

I bet while he was on his RyanAir training course he had to stump up a couple of quid every time he needed a pencil sharpening or a fresh piece of paper :)

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 2, 2015, 01:09:47 pm »
so you're a lawyer
No but I've met a few...

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #30 on: June 2, 2015, 01:10:18 pm »
I bet while he was on his RyanAir training course he had to stump up a couple of quid every time he needed a pencil sharpening or a fresh piece of paper :)
And pay to use the loo

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 2, 2015, 08:03:44 pm »
I've studied to become a pilot but my eyesight and wallet said no years ago. As others have mentioned, you need to have a high level of education and a minimum of £80k to do your training and get private licences then your commercial licences. I used to work for Jet2, they have a very good pilot appretice programme where they take you onboard (pun intended) and they train you up for your commercial license. Obviously you need to have your PPL and a couple hundred flying hours under your belt. Another alternative is British Airways, they do a pilot program where all training is funded by them. But obviously you need to really know your stuff and have them see some potential in you. Monarch and Thomson also do a similar program. If you fancy being adventurous, try looking for vacancies or training courses with Emirates, Qatar Airways and Etihad, three huge airlines who are always wanting people. Try aviationjobsearch for opportunities.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2015, 08:07:07 pm by AB LFC »

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #32 on: June 7, 2015, 07:00:45 pm »
I just landed my 737-800 on the ILS approach to EGGP ( Liverpool ) after taking off from LEMG ( Malaga ) Shameful descent as i had white over white on the approach instead of red over white but hey , no one died. Could have been white over red...
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #33 on: June 7, 2015, 07:10:18 pm »

Whats the Money like?

How many dollies has he kissed?

Not interested in being a Piolt myself, but these are the kind of details the OP will need to know.

« Last Edit: June 9, 2015, 12:24:19 pm by rusty-la »

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #34 on: June 7, 2015, 09:42:07 pm »
£100k to learn to be a pilot?!

Fuck that.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #35 on: June 8, 2015, 06:33:43 am »
£100k to learn to be a pilot?!

Fuck that.

I would happily pay that if i could.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 8, 2015, 06:15:50 pm »
I would happily pay that if i could.

Yup.me too.although the money you nce qualified is probably nowhere near what people would expect.still great fucking job! I love being a passenger.but being a pilot,thatd just be boss.i havent the temperament though.id panic at any warning noise or light and probably turn the engines off in a frenzy
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #38 on: June 9, 2015, 08:16:32 pm »
You may not believe this but yes .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Private Pilot License
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2022, 02:33:02 pm »
Just curious...anyone here a pilot? Commercial or private.

Thinking of getting a private pilot license for a bit of fun (yes I just watched Top Gun: Maverick ;D, different level though, somehow flying a single engine aircraft inverted doesn't feel like the greatest of ideas). Where I'm based now (south east asia) I've looked at the pathway, looks straightforward enough, I'm interested in the learning process for anyone here who went through it or does it for a living now, time it took to confidently take off and land on single engine aircrafts, getting comfortable with the controls etc.

So far I've got a couple of hours on a flight simulator and have watched youtube vids on how the surfaces...rudder, aileron, elevator, and then flaps work, operating them. Clearly well on my way haha.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 02:36:49 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »