Author Topic: The Gym  (Read 35068 times)

Offline Lalesa

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Gym
« Reply #280 on: October 21, 2022, 12:59:56 pm »
Got another week off from gym. Injured my damn ankle and can barely walk.
I'm sorry. I hope you will get well soon!

I've just started working with kettlebells in the hope they help me lose weight, and boost aerobic capacity, apart from increasing strength. I found a 100 kettlebell swings a day weight loss program and began following it (if someone is interested, here is the guide https://betterme.world/articles/100-kettlebell-swings-a-day-weight-loss/). Fortunately, there was also an explanation of how to do it right and avoid injuries.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 09:39:19 am by Lalesa »

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2022, 01:41:24 pm »
I've been doing Crossfit consistently for almost 2 years now and the results have been fantastic. I have lost 10 kg, ripped and able to see my 6 pack since forever  ;D Most importantly, i feel better than i've ever felt.

While not criticizing anyone's routine (whatever works for you, then continue doing it!), i couldn't step into a normal gym anymore. 

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2022, 03:08:07 pm »
Cheers AFCT good advice mate.  I'm always second guessing myself as to whether I'm going either too light or too heavy.

Tonight, I did 4x12 solid single arm overhead triceps extensions using 5kg DB's.  Got a nice contraction.  Could maybe go up another couple of K's with less reps but happy with 5kg for a few weeks at least.

Its a new all seated, unilateral programme I'm trying.  Was all dumbbells tonight

Cuban Press
Hammer curls
Single arm Overhead Triceps extensions
Single arm dumbbell rows

Really enjoyed it and really feel it now which is a good thing.
May I suggest skipping the dumbell overhead tri extension as your main tricep excercise? They aren't a great overall tricep exercise even though it gives a good pump. Go for a heavy close grip bench press or my favourite the dumbell skullcrusher which you can load light to start with for higher reps.

And tricep kickbacks on a cable or with a band are a much better, the dumbell won't recruit as many muscle fibres because of a smaller arc of resistance relative to gravity.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 04:21:01 am by Persephone »
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2022, 04:23:24 pm »
I've been doing Crossfit consistently for almost 2 years now and the results have been fantastic. I have lost 10 kg, ripped and able to see my 6 pack since forever  ;D Most importantly, i feel better than i've ever felt.

While not criticizing anyone's routine (whatever works for you, then continue doing it!), i couldn't step into a normal gym anymore.

great that mate. what sort of exercises you doing?

Online The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2022, 08:39:18 am »

I've just started working with kettlebells in the hope they help me lose weight, and boost aerobic capacity, apart from increasing strength. I found a 100 kettlebell swings a day weight loss program and began following it. Fortunately, there was also an explanation of how to do it right and avoid injuries.
Cheers. Actually getting worse with the leg pains and a shooting sensation up to my hip area. Makes sleep stop start also.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: October 23, 2022, 02:07:31 pm »
May I suggest skipping the dumbell overhead tri extension as your main tricep excercise? They aren't a great overall tricep exercise even though it gives a good pump. Go for a heavy close grip bench press or my favourite the dumbell skullcrusher which you can load light to start with for higher reps.

And tricep kickbacks on a cable or with a band are a much better, the dumbell won't recruit as many muscle fibres because of a smaller arc of resistance relative to gravity.

Interesting stuff mate.  Thanks

Not considered Kickbacks with a cable to be honest.  Will have a go next gym sesh.  Ta.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: October 27, 2022, 08:03:55 pm »
Cheers. Actually getting worse with the leg pains and a shooting sensation up to my hip area. Makes sleep stop start also.
Hope you're feeling better G, nothing worse than pain affected sleep.

Interesting stuff mate.  Thanks

Not considered Kickbacks with a cable to be honest.  Will have a go next gym sesh.  Ta.
Enjoy :wave I've only had one training session this week and have been missing out on those gym endorphins.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: October 28, 2022, 08:42:11 am »

Typical "cross-fit wanker" statement ;D
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: October 29, 2022, 10:32:45 pm »
Hope you're feeling better G, nothing worse than pain affected sleep.
Still got pain issues which isn't great. Have not gone gym in ten days or so.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: October 31, 2022, 08:06:26 am »
Still got pain issues which isn't great. Have not gone gym in ten days or so.
Sorry to hear that. Have you been to a physio to get assessed?

Online The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: November 2, 2022, 06:42:18 pm »
Sorry to hear that. Have you been to a physio to get assessed?
Been physio in past done leg strengthening exercises but doesn't last for long before pain returns. Going Chiropractor instead. Doctors are impossible to get appointment for.

They used to put it down to growing pains years ago.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: December 7, 2022, 07:03:12 pm »
I go to the gym for my fitness more so than mentality because while it is worth it physically, I just don't get an endorphin rush afterwards. Okay, I get a little bit, but it just isn't enough and the last two years and the gym has been such a massive chore.

First of all, I'm a runner. Before two years ago, I never went to the gym but then I tore my plantar fascia really badly and it has taken an age to heal. In spring and summer of this year, I was able to run a few miles before the pain returned. So the gym was very much still the main focus of fitness for me. But the last week, I've been back out running and doing 10 plus miles each day without any side effects. The ultimate high and feeling of elation I got was like a something I hadn't felt in two years.

How do other folks feel mentally after the gym? Some folks like the gym for this very reason but it just hasn't had any impact on me (physically yes, mentally no).

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: December 7, 2022, 09:33:29 pm »
Running is definitely a better mood booster for me, if I start off a run with something on my mind, it's guaranteed that by the end of it the problem will be less important.

The gym is different, especially if I'm doing sets of say 8-10. Between sets I'll likely be in a negative frame of mind about something, sometimes I can use it as a fuel to get me through the next set, at other times it completely throws me off and I end up wasting a lot of time.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #293 on: December 10, 2022, 03:37:06 pm »
I go to the gym for my fitness more so than mentality because while it is worth it physically, I just don't get an endorphin rush afterwards. Okay, I get a little bit, but it just isn't enough and the last two years and the gym has been such a massive chore.

First of all, I'm a runner. Before two years ago, I never went to the gym but then I tore my plantar fascia really badly and it has taken an age to heal. In spring and summer of this year, I was able to run a few miles before the pain returned. So the gym was very much still the main focus of fitness for me. But the last week, I've been back out running and doing 10 plus miles each day without any side effects. The ultimate high and feeling of elation I got was like a something I hadn't felt in two years.

How do other folks feel mentally after the gym? Some folks like the gym for this very reason but it just hasn't had any impact on me (physically yes, mentally no).

I get a massive boost to my mental health from the gym. Can change my mood in an instant really.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2022, 03:32:00 pm »
I've deffo fell out of the routine since coming back from America in October. I pay £64 a month for the David Lloyd and hardly ever go, might join the Pure Gym that has opened and is a bit closer to home.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: December 14, 2022, 08:20:14 am »
I've deffo fell out of the routine since coming back from America in October. I pay £64 a month for the David Lloyd and hardly ever go, might join the Pure Gym that has opened and is a bit closer to home.

£64 is steep but I'm sure it comes with a lot included. I'm paying £20 a month for a bare bones place, and I've been feeling it in my bones the last few times, the mingebags won't turn the heating on. The barbells are stone cold, as if motivation to go wasn't low enough this time of year.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: December 14, 2022, 08:46:14 pm »

Puregym is great if youre only using a gym for weights and/or cardio machines. About a 5th of the price of a Bannatynes et al but with much more, better and newer equipment. Can also access any of them as part of the same package if you travel a lot.

It's only worth going high end if you regularly want access to a pool/sauna/hydro as that's where the cost comes from.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: December 15, 2022, 10:47:23 am »
Puregym is great if youre only using a gym for weights and/or cardio machines. About a 5th of the price of a Bannatynes et al but with much more, better and newer equipment. Can also access any of them as part of the same package if you travel a lot.

It's only worth going high end if you regularly want access to a pool/sauna/hydro as that's where the cost comes from.

Yeah I think I'm going to join mate. When I do go to the David Lloyd I end up spending about 3-4 hours in there with the gym then swim then sauna and steam and them sometimes have something to eat there (and the food isn't cheap).

I'm at the point I just want to get into a gym, workout and then go home.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: May 23, 2023, 10:24:07 am »
Been in a good routine recently, and really enjoying it. I'm even back squatting which I stayed away from over a year as I was running a lot more.

Previously I used to squat with the bar high up on the shoulders but changed it up and have brought it further down. Was able to add a third more weight to the bar in an instant and it feels a much more natural movement. Such a small change and squatting has gone from my least favourite to most. Deadlifts are another one, I'm sticking to the trap bar and have been seeing good progress and it feels a lot safer for my lower back.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: May 24, 2023, 08:14:04 am »
Been in a good routine recently, and really enjoying it. I'm even back squatting which I stayed away from over a year as I was running a lot more.

Previously I used to squat with the bar high up on the shoulders but changed it up and have brought it further down. Was able to add a third more weight to the bar in an instant and it feels a much more natural movement. Such a small change and squatting has gone from my least favourite to most. Deadlifts are another one, I'm sticking to the trap bar and have been seeing good progress and it feels a lot safer for my lower back.
I did the same about 4 months back and it did wonders for the way my back felt. I have comparatively long femurs to my torso and I struggled with a traditional deadlift. The trap bar also helps me hit my quads more which is an added benefit. Glad you're getting back into Damomad, keep it up.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #300 on: June 5, 2023, 08:32:17 pm »
Been doing some press ups and pull ups just to add a little bit of muscle. Seen some good improvements too, but I’ve got a problem with the latter.

When I do pull ups every now and then I’ll complete a set and get a weird twitching sensation in my eye. My sets are never hard to the point of failure or anything, so it’s not like I’m going stupidly hard. I also make sure to breathe whilst I’m doing them. Is it anything to be concerned about?

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #301 on: June 6, 2023, 08:31:57 am »
didnt realize until well into my work out yesterday I had sunglasses on my head all the time, must have looked an absolute tosser

Was lucky not to break my foot, was looking for 20kg weights to put on something, a fella was finishing so we both misjudged timing and the weight fell off and hit my foot, luckily not full on. Careless from the other guy but also from me so didnt go mad, he was mortified and helped me with moving the stuff to be fair

good work out though, did 10k on the road, then home, water, apple, water, back to the gym for weights, did about 14 different exercises, wish i had time to put this in every day. Felt super after all that
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: June 6, 2023, 09:09:02 am »
Been doing some press ups and pull ups just to add a little bit of muscle. Seen some good improvements too, but I’ve got a problem with the latter.

When I do pull ups every now and then I’ll complete a set and get a weird twitching sensation in my eye. My sets are never hard to the point of failure or anything, so it’s not like I’m going stupidly hard. I also make sure to breathe whilst I’m doing them. Is it anything to be concerned about?

I used to get these, normally when I was drinking too much coffee/not getting enough sleep/not drinking enough water. Come to think of it haven't had them in a couple of years. I highly doubt the pullups are causing them, more likely overall extra stress on the body and a combination of the above.

didnt realize until well into my work out yesterday I had sunglasses on my head all the time, must have looked an absolute tosser

Was lucky not to break my foot, was looking for 20kg weights to put on something, a fella was finishing so we both misjudged timing and the weight fell off and hit my foot, luckily not full on. Careless from the other guy but also from me so didnt go mad, he was mortified and helped me with moving the stuff to be fair

good work out though, did 10k on the road, then home, water, apple, water, back to the gym for weights, did about 14 different exercises, wish i had time to put this in every day. Felt super after all that

Funny stories Razor, and sounds like you put in a tough session, keep at it!

You reminded me of a couple of close calls in the past few weeks. Was about to start a set of overhead presses and some girl put a 20kg weight on one side of the bar, thinking it was the weight rack. I was too embarrassed for her to say anything so waited until she walked away and took it off.

Another one, was doing an abductor sitting stretch, looked up in the gym mirror in front of me. My eyesight is a bit blurry these days, but could swear something weird was on my shorts. Looked down and there was a bloody hole in my shorts and I was going commando, one of the balls made an escape. Hoping no one noticed but I'll never know  :-[ 

Online Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #303 on: June 6, 2023, 09:41:29 am »
My local park has replaced the absolutely dire outdoor gym that was there with a sparkly, fit-for-purpose one. Can do proper calisthenics on it now. I am THIS close to getting my first muscle up. Nothing better than working out in the sunshine.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: June 6, 2023, 11:46:28 am »

If it's not caffeine induced the only other thing I can think of is that a nerve is being pressed at some point? Not sure if that fits scientifically though ;D

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #305 on: June 6, 2023, 12:14:54 pm »

Funny stories Razor, and sounds like you put in a tough session, keep at it!

You reminded me of a couple of close calls in the past few weeks. Was about to start a set of overhead presses and some girl put a 20kg weight on one side of the bar, thinking it was the weight rack. I was too embarrassed for her to say anything so waited until she walked away and took it off.

Another one, was doing an abductor sitting stretch, looked up in the gym mirror in front of me. My eyesight is a bit blurry these days, but could swear something weird was on my shorts. Looked down and there was a bloody hole in my shorts and I was going commando, one of the balls made an escape. Hoping no one noticed but I'll never know  :-[ 
thanks

that shorts thing is hilarious :lmao
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #306 on: June 7, 2023, 02:28:07 pm »
Finally been making the gym once or twice a week.

Quite enjoy it when I'm there - nothing nuts - rowing, cross-ski, bike, walking - but it's a right bastard to get off your arse and actually enter the building.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: June 7, 2023, 04:17:44 pm »
Took the plunge and coughed up for David Lloyd, initially for 3 months, only downside is my physio told me on Monday she thinks I've got a torn meniscus in my right knee. :no

Just done swimming the first two days, 30 lengths a day and will do the same tomorrow. Monday I has a session with a PT, you get 3 sessions as part of joining, so will get him to sort me a proper routine out and then just go every day. Plan is to work from there for a few hours, so will go over at 11am, work til 1, gym/swim/steam room for at least an hour, then bit more work and back home for 3. Keeps me out of the wifes hair too.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: June 8, 2023, 09:22:40 am »
Took the plunge and coughed up for David Lloyd

Someone is doing well for themselves ;D

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: June 8, 2023, 01:47:38 pm »
Someone is doing well for themselves ;D

Am I fuck ;D

went for the cheapest package, which still fucking stings, but I thought if I'm spending a lot I'll actually go, if it was £40 a month, I'd probably go once a week.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: June 8, 2023, 09:14:49 pm »

I've just started working with kettlebells in the hope they help me lose weight, and boost aerobic capacity, apart from increasing strength. I found a 100 kettlebell swings a day weight loss program and began following it (if someone is interested, here is the guide https://betterme.world/articles/100-kettlebell-swings-a-day-weight-loss/). Fortunately, there was also an explanation of how to do it right and avoid injuries.
Did you stick with this? How did it work out?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: June 8, 2023, 09:35:53 pm »
Been on a pretty intense streak of five gym days a week for six weeks now. One hour sessions, all weights and machines.

I used to do more cardio, but found that weights really suit me more now. It just leaves me more with that ‘nicely tired’ feeling. Calluses are becoming a problem. Not sure if I want to be a gym glove weirdo. 😁

Online Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #312 on: June 9, 2023, 01:34:46 pm »
Get a pumice stone

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: July 21, 2023, 04:56:42 pm »
Just joined a proper meathead gym in Eccles (yes, I know). Really enjoying it at the moment.

Trying to do the usual: lose weight, game muscle...

Splitting my days into: chest/back, shoulders, legs, arms. With supersets for each.

Enjoying it, burn about 400-500 calories a session, then go on a walk every morning/aft. It's just keeping going for me, really. Tend to go for 6 weeks, then fuck it off.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: July 21, 2023, 10:50:53 pm »
The meathead ones sometimes have loads of different weight machines, which can be handy when you are feeling a bit lazy and don’t want to get under any bars.

I’ve been really into it properly recently. Squatting 1.5 times my body weight for 10, which I didn’t think would ever be possible. I have been getting pain in both knees though, tends to go away a few days without squatting but I can’t just stop. Vicious circle.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: July 22, 2023, 06:14:49 am »
Gym is great once you get into the groove. Almost can’t imagine my day without it now, it really eases my mind and relaxes me.

Started switching up some exercises, found some new favourites (looking at you hack squat) but mostly been focussing on improving technique and really slowing down each rep at the max hypertrophy point.

I have zero look or strength ambitions really, just need to keep myself healthy to offset the hours spent working at a desk.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #316 on: July 22, 2023, 06:38:52 am »
Gym is great once you get into the groove. Almost can’t imagine my day without it now, it really eases my mind and relaxes me.

Started switching up some exercises, found some new favourites (looking at you hack squat) but mostly been focussing on improving technique and really slowing down each rep at the max hypertrophy point.

I have zero look or strength ambitions really, just need to keep myself healthy to offset the hours spent working at a desk.
Appreciate this is the gym thread and not just a generic exercise one but still.

I've found intense cardio exercise some of the best meditation of my life, hours of spinning or riding my bike is zen to me. I have cast off many mental shadows and memories, whilst turning myself inside out physically on the bike ;D

The best remedy to improve my mental health I discovered whilst trying to improve my physical heath.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: July 22, 2023, 06:54:48 am »
No doubt about it.

It doesn’t really matter if it’s gym, running, cycling… intense workout will really clear space in your head in a way very few other things can.

With almost anything else I may try to do to relax, it feels like I’m just adding another element to an already busy and unbalanced mix of thoughts and feelings swirling in my head. Not so with a hard workout. It makes me focus on that one single thing, in the process basically de-cluttering my headspace.

Very underrated aspect of it all. Probably more valuable long term than physical benefits.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #318 on: July 22, 2023, 07:03:30 am »
The removal of all other thoughts in the pursuit of maintaining the physical exertion as long as possible ;D

See Maa, I'm just like Buddha, fat and zen ;D

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: July 22, 2023, 07:08:26 am »
😁