Author Topic: Qatar's True WC Legacy: news and reports on the human cost of sportswashing.  (Read 395418 times)

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: World Cup 2022 - Qatar
« Reply #1960 on: September 23, 2022, 03:11:15 pm »

Not even a little bit,it doesn't take much for those c*nts to attack peaceful crowds,fuck knows what they'll do when they see people kissing each other.

The world cup is a sports washing event, they're not going to start beating on tourists. The goal will be to pretend to be something they're not, watch the media lavish praise on them for their "better than expected" event, and then go back to treating their own people and workers like shit once it's all over.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #1961 on: September 24, 2022, 11:13:09 am »
Sad to see that noone has pulled out of this c*nt sport washing slave murder tournament yet. Disgusting.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1962 on: September 24, 2022, 11:51:00 am »
Sad to see that noone has pulled out of this c*nt sport washing slave murder tournament yet. Disgusting.

For many players and national teams the World Cup is the pinnacle of Football.
If any player or nation withdraws they get replaced by another.

Many see the Club World club Cup also held in Qatar, with a degree of apathy.  Pulling out of that is a more realistic expectation, but no one has.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #1963 on: September 24, 2022, 01:36:37 pm »
No one was going to pull out, Even if the player disagree with it morally they weren't going to jib off the World Cup because of it.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1964 on: September 24, 2022, 11:17:06 pm »
No one was going to pull out, Even if the player disagree with it morally they weren't going to jib off the World Cup because of it.
Yeah unfortunately everyone involved cares more about themselves and their earnings than any kind of human rights abuse. The sportswashers know this. The likes of Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Saudi and whatever other despot regimes come in will own the game before long, they won’t stop until they’ve killed what football was and create a game where only they win.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #1965 on: September 25, 2022, 12:15:46 am »
Yeah unfortunately everyone involved cares more about themselves and their earnings than any kind of human rights abuse. The sportswashers know this. The likes of Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Saudi and whatever other despot regimes come in will own the game before long, they won’t stop until they’ve killed what football was and create a game where only they win.
I think they are already well and truly on the way to killing football. I mean a lot of people on here have already said they'll likely bin it off once Klopp leaves since there isn't much of a chance of us beating competitive with Abu Dhabi or Saudi.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1966 on: September 25, 2022, 02:02:24 am »

'Qatar World Cup: Accommodation worries for football fans':-

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-62995496

'The World Cup is expected to attract more than one million visitors, but by March Qatar only had 30,000 hotel rooms, 80% of which had already been booked by Fifa for football teams, officials, and sponsors.'

& '"Two hundred dollars for those cabins at the fan village... is just too expensive. Airbnb rooms are ridiculously priced too. I am hoping to find some cheaper options once I get there," he says. The BBC requested access to visit the fan villages, but permission was declined by the authorities. The sites are reportedly still under construction. Locals have been allowed to host fans at their homes, but at hefty prices. On the room-rental site Airbnb there are hardly any options for less than $200 a night.'

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #1967 on: September 25, 2022, 09:05:35 am »

And they won’t because this sport is now full of greedy mercenary c*nts who’s dark side has been hit by the sun and we can all smell since the slave killers started eating into football like locusts in crop field

If football doesn’t grow a spine and kick them out the sport is dead. I don’t see how they can reverse it actually
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #1968 on: September 25, 2022, 09:41:24 am »
And they won’t because this sport is now full of greedy mercenary c*nts who’s dark side has been hit by the sun and we can all smell since the slave killers started eating into football like locusts in crop field

If football doesn’t grow a spine and kick them out the sport is dead. I don’t see how they can reverse it actually
Won't happen, They are scared of Abu Dhabi and if we think they are scared of them then imagine how scared they will be over Saudi once they start to get some real clout in football. Maybe if the U.K. had a competent government a year ago then perhaps the Saudi takeover of Newcastle doesn't happen.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #1969 on: September 25, 2022, 09:53:12 am »
Won't happen, They are scared of Abu Dhabi and if we think they are scared of them then imagine how scared they will be over Saudi once they start to get some real clout in football. Maybe if the U.K. had a competent government a year ago then perhaps the Saudi takeover of Newcastle doesn't happen.

Well to be honest we all put up with it aswell.

City and Newcastle fans absolutely drink it in

Amd so will any fan who gets bought by them. But what happens when the exchange is complete ? Every top footbal club owned by them so they can sportswash ? Then the joy of ‘we’re going to beat everyone’ is gone and your just left with a load of murderers running football
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #1970 on: September 25, 2022, 12:04:07 pm »
Maybe if the U.K. had a competent government a year ago then perhaps the Saudi takeover of Newcastle doesn't happen.
Might be bleak to say this, but I don't believe anyone rejecting that kind of investment would be allowed anywhere near a government.

The sad reality (as you have said) is that while we discuss the horrors of this World Cup, the same (or worse) are already here, and have been for quite a few seasons now.

The World Cup is a showpiece, once in 4 years, so it gets a lot of spotlight and attention, but the same abusive regimes have already got the ball rolling for years now, and with LIV golf, boxing, and WWE entertainment (one event pays them something like all Wrestlemania's combined) it's basically all out in the open.

I just don't get worked up about footy anymore. Genuinely. Win, lose or draw it's playing against someone who has a video game cheat system/trainer where they have infinite energy, infinite money and all the rest of it.

I crack a smile when we win, say "take that you...." and then the reality sets in that this is just the brilliance of one manager against a horde, and eventually the whole thing will return to form.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1971 on: September 25, 2022, 12:28:29 pm »
Might be bleak to say this, but I don't believe anyone rejecting that kind of investment would be allowed anywhere near a government.

The sad reality (as you have said) is that while we discuss the horrors of this World Cup, the same (or worse) are already here, and have been for quite a few seasons now.

The World Cup is a showpiece, once in 4 years, so it gets a lot of spotlight and attention, but the same abusive regimes have already got the ball rolling for years now, and with LIV golf, boxing, and WWE entertainment (one event pays them something like all Wrestlemania's combined) it's basically all out in the open.

I just don't get worked up about footy anymore. Genuinely. Win, lose or draw it's playing against someone who has a video game cheat system/trainer where they have infinite energy, infinite money and all the rest of it.

I crack a smile when we win, say "take that you...." and then the reality sets in that this is just the brilliance of one manager against a horde, and eventually the whole thing will return to form.
I think it’s too late now. The super league was the only chance of having any kind of level playing field with these regimes, they would’ve corrupted that and found their way around any regulations tho.
They have their foothold in sport now and won’t stop until they own and control everything. I’m definitely calling it a day when Klopp goes. I want no part in what the future of the game appears to be.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 12:31:13 pm by JRed »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1972 on: September 25, 2022, 12:47:25 pm »

The last World Cup was held in Russia, four years after they invaded Crimea.

And Abramovich patented sport washing or was that money laundering?

The game has been going for 15 years, the Gulf states will simply kill off any competitive nature.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1973 on: September 25, 2022, 01:19:20 pm »

The game has been going for 15 years, the Gulf states will simply kill off any competitive nature.

Football will carry on, just soullesss.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1974 on: September 25, 2022, 01:23:41 pm »

I want no part of a game where the only chance of winning is being owned by a despotic regime. Once Klopp goes I don’t see us competing with Abu Dhabi, nor will any other club bar the Saudis and whatever other state buys into the PL.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1975 on: September 25, 2022, 03:15:24 pm »
'Qatar World Cup: Accommodation worries for football fans':-

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-62995496

'The World Cup is expected to attract more than one million visitors, but by March Qatar only had 30,000 hotel rooms, 80% of which had already been booked by Fifa for football teams, officials, and sponsors.'

I remember listening to a podcast in April back when the draw took place in which a few journalists who attended the draw were amazed at the amount of infrastructure that still needed to be built. Not just hotels, but even basic sidewalks weren't finished. This will end up being a right shitshow for the fan experience outside of the "FIFA Family". Any future reform candidate for FIFA needs to basically state that future World Cups can only be held in countries that already possess the infrastructure (stadiums, hotels, public transit) and that at the very least group stages will be organized to minimize travel for environmental and logistical reasons.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1976 on: September 25, 2022, 04:30:47 pm »
I remember listening to a podcast in April back when the draw took place in which a few journalists who attended the draw were amazed at the amount of infrastructure that still needed to be built. Not just hotels, but even basic sidewalks weren't finished. This will end up being a right shitshow for the fan experience outside of the "FIFA Family". Any future reform candidate for FIFA needs to basically state that future World Cups can only be held in countries that already possess the infrastructure (stadiums, hotels, public transit) and that at the very least group stages will be organized to minimize travel for environmental and logistical reasons.

We always hear that before every World Cup, then the place is always ready when it kicks off.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1977 on: September 25, 2022, 04:42:52 pm »
We always hear that before every World Cup, then the place is always ready when it kicks off.

South Africa, Brazil, Russia. Brazil had unfinished stadiums in the months before

Not that this won't be a complete joke.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1978 on: September 27, 2022, 01:04:11 pm »

'Qatar ‘calling diplomats home’ for military service at World Cup':-

Hundreds of conscripted civilians to operate checkpoints, source says, showing challenge faced by tiny state

www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/27/qatar-calling-diplomats-home-for-military-service-at-world-cup

'The 80,000-capacity Lusail Stadium, built for the final, had its first near-capacity crowd earlier this month. Fans leaving the stadium queued for hours for the metro and organisers ran out of water at half-time on a hot late-summer Gulf evening.'
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1979 on: September 27, 2022, 01:43:56 pm »

couple of questions I hav:

1) how many tickets are being purchased by Qatar through special partners etc (like Man city does with their sponsorships)
2) how much disinformation will be sown by Qatar about how everything is in great shape and ready to go? Despite visitors pictures showing otherwise
3) how many police brutality incidents will be swept under the rug?
4) when will FIFA and Qatar declare this an incredible success and a testament to how a small country can put on a huge event like the WC?
5) how many more migrant workers will die in the next month in the sprint to complete the facilities?

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1980 on: September 28, 2022, 03:41:43 pm »

Hummel: 'This shirt carries with it a message. We don't wish to be visible during a tournament that has cost thousands of people their lives. We support the Danish national team all the way, but that isn't the same as supporting Qatar as a host nation.':-

https://twitter.com/hummel1923/status/1575130931786022913

and...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1981 on: September 28, 2022, 04:52:14 pm »
Tremendous from Hummel  :wellin :wellin :wellin
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1982 on: September 28, 2022, 05:19:04 pm »
Hummel: 'This shirt carries with it a message. We don't wish to be visible during a tournament that has cost thousands of people their lives. We support the Danish national team all the way, but that isn't the same as supporting Qatar as a host nation.':-

I mean, that's nice and all but they kinda already did that for their third kit for Euro 2020/21. Which I bought cos it was so nice.

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1983 on: September 28, 2022, 05:26:58 pm »
Always liked Hummels. Class defender too.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1984 on: September 28, 2022, 07:03:59 pm »
Just saw this, a map of the whole world cup area transposed over Liverpool

https://twitter.com/dubasfisher/status/1575146940475523072?t=8Ho1mIsBnMvW5buFy6STvA&s=19

How the hell will it work? Am looking forward to not watching 1 second of this farce.

Well done Hummel, I love seeing things like that.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1985 on: September 28, 2022, 07:07:58 pm »
Just saw this, a map of the whole world cup area transposed over Liverpool

https://twitter.com/dubasfisher/status/1575146940475523072?t=8Ho1mIsBnMvW5buFy6STvA&s=19

How the hell will it work? Am looking forward to not watching 1 second of this farce.

Well done Hummel, I love seeing things like that.

Oddly - there are some people who think it's great because they can go to so many games. ::)

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1986 on: September 28, 2022, 08:53:33 pm »
Would Hummel not be able to not participate at all? Great to see them highlight the issues but are they still profiting from it by sponsoring kits that are being used for the tournament which they surely will make money from sales of?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1987 on: September 28, 2022, 09:05:38 pm »
Absolute shambles this is going ahead. Shame on every single player and country partaking in this farce.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #1988 on: September 28, 2022, 11:11:01 pm »
feel a bit like the Denmark shirt thing is a protest with actually being a protest, nice bit of coverage in European press but will have no impact on FIFA or Qatar. and the truth is money is more important than human rights, no one involved  in this world cup was prepared to give up any of it to tackle the issues around the host nation.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1989 on: September 29, 2022, 10:07:04 am »
feel a bit like the Denmark shirt thing is a protest with actually being a protest, nice bit of coverage in European press but will have no impact on FIFA or Qatar. and the truth is money is more important than human rights, no one involved  in this world cup was prepared to give up any of it to tackle the issues around the host nation.

Qatar’s World Cup organisers, the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, gave a stern response that highlighted “significant reforms to the labour system” to protect workers and “ensuring improved living conditions for them.”

The committee added that there has been “robust and transparent dialogue” with the Danish federation, the DBU, that had led to “a better understanding of the progress made”.

“We dispute Hummel’s claim that this tournament has cost thousands of people their lives.

Furthermore, we wholeheartedly reject the trivialising (of) our genuine commitment to protect the health and safety of the 30,000 workers who built FIFA World Cup stadiums and other tournament projects.”

Qatar says that only three labourers died in work-related accidents during the construction of the eight stadiums in the Doha region. It has been accused of under reporting deaths on wider construction however.

The committee said Qatar’s reforms had been “recognised” by some international human rights groups “as a model that has accelerated progress and improved lives”.

“Like every country, progress on these issues is a journey without a finish line, and Qatar is committed to that journey,” said the statement.

“We urge the DBU to accurately convey the outcome of their extensive communication and work with the Supreme Committee, and to ensure that this is accurately communicated to their partners at Hummel.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/world-cup/qatar-issues-furious-response-amid-danish-kit-suppliers-protest-against-gulf-nation-wc-watch/news-story/c7420d8baae295ddf017e80043602d00
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #1990 on: September 29, 2022, 11:59:16 am »
Qatar says that only three labourers died in work-related accidents during the construction of the eight stadiums in the Doha region.

Well I'm convinced
Believer

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1991 on: September 29, 2022, 12:35:18 pm »
Well I'm convinced
Can’t believe we all had it so wrong. Just like we all thought Abu Dhabi were cheating.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #1992 on: September 29, 2022, 03:53:36 pm »
There will be some photos taken in this tournament that will go down in history similar to the 1936 Berlin Games.

We'll look back in disgust at people just accepting it.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #1993 on: September 29, 2022, 04:09:10 pm »

What i thought won't do a jot of good empty gesture if they had any balls they would remove there logo for the World Cup that would be a far bigger statement
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1994 on: September 29, 2022, 04:12:06 pm »
Well I'm convinced

The other 3000 died before construction and afterwards, only 3 during it.

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: September 29, 2022, 04:21:23 pm »
The other 3000 died before construction and afterwards, only 3 during it.

I think the number was 6500 - however the Qatari argument is that only 3 have been work related deaths the others have been due to other circumstances and not 'on the job' the recorded accidents were much higher however, which seemed to indicate some level of recording of incidences.

However I believe the recording on death certificates is a little lax and so there is opportunity and scope for either negligent recording of 'reason for death' or deliberate manipulation opportunities.

On the documentary Gary Neville did on Sky for the Qatar world cup recently, the 'employees' are clearly not fantastically looked after, and there were references to trading employees - which sounded all too much like selling slaves for my liking rather than TUPE of staff.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1996 on: September 29, 2022, 04:26:37 pm »

'Briton found hanged ‘was tortured by Qatar police’':-

Marc Bennett told friends that he had been arrested and abused at a state security detention centre

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/briton-found-hanged-was-tortured-by-qatar-police-x62fjh6qg

'A British travel industry executive, headhunted to boost Qatar’s tourism trade for the World Cup, died in unexplained circumstances after telling friends that he had been detained and tortured by the country’s secret police.

Marc Bennett, 52, was found hanged in a Doha hotel during Christmas 2019, ten weeks after he had been arrested at the offices of his employer, Qatar Airways, and taken blindfolded and handcuffed to a state security detention centre. Bennett later described how he was stripped naked, blasted with high-pressure hoses, slammed against walls and subjected to sleep deprivation techniques while held for three weeks. United Nations lawyers say there have been “credible allegations” of extra-judicial detention and ill-treatment at the unit where he was detained.'

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1997 on: September 29, 2022, 08:20:28 pm »
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1998 on: September 29, 2022, 10:26:12 pm »
https://youtu.be/g67ZiESszyc

Sickening.

Just going to embed that for you mate - in the hope here is more chance of people noticing it, hopefully clicking on it, and watching it...

'Brit who promoted Qatar died weeks after detention and ‘torture’ by country’s police' - a 10 minute video from Channel 4 News:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g67ZiESszyc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g67ZiESszyc</a>

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1999 on: September 29, 2022, 11:25:42 pm »
Call me heartless, but if you decide to sell your soul to the devil be prepared to get burned. I feel sorry for his wife, family and people who knew him, but at the end of the day, he went there willingly to promote what a great country it is and probably got paid pretty well for it. Yet, for years we've heard stories here how awfully foreign workers are treated there and how thousands of them have died just for the World Cup (loads of other foreign workers not connected to the WC get treated the same). And their choice of going there was way more limited, because they went their to be able to feed their families and not to make an extra 10K a month while living in shiny apartments. I hope this story can help change how foreign workers are treated in a lot of those countries in the middle east and how people view those countries, but at the same time it's a bit like the guy who decides to get a lion as a pet and then gets mauled by it one day...