Author Topic: Your Personal Goals Thread  (Read 12662 times)

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Your Personal Goals Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 4, 2014, 03:47:05 pm »
Okay well this seems like the best place to put this.  I'm aiming to drop a stone before my holiday in seven weeks.  Ideally more but I know it's wildly unlikely so 2lbs a week is achievable.  I'm 14st now and looking to increase a little muscle mass but at the expense of the gut I've acquired over the last 14 years.  I'm beginning the couch to 5K stuff, already completed the first run of the second week.  My goal is to be able to run the 5K before I go away, as well as having some sort of definition in my body.

I'm looking to cycle to work once a week to work on a Saturday (a small 5 mile round trip but I used to do it all the time before I a) got the car and b) was nearly killed coming back from work one time.  On top of that I'm going to try and complete a 5 mile cycle elsewhere through the week (preferably a Tuesday) so overall I'm looking to have a plan that resembles this:

Monday: Uni (9-5)  (Upper body training after 7pm)
Tuesday:  Uni (9-12)  (Half-hour cycle in the afternoon, lower body training in the evening)
Wednesday: Uni (9-1)  (C25K in the afternoon)
Thursday: Uni (9-5)  (Upper body training after 7pm)
Friday:  Uni (11-1)  (C25K in the morning, lower body training in the evening)
Saturday: Work (6-2)  (Upper body training after 7pm)
Sunday: Nowt, nothing, nada, nil, zilch.  Maybe a leisurely swim in the Leisure Centre 7-8.

Also been looking at calorie intake, I'm looking at spacing meals out more.  I'll be having meal replacement shakes topped up with a protein powder in the mornings around 7am.  Other than that I want to tailor a meal plan around 2200 calories or so, the shake will be around 250 so based on the work I intend to do I'm looking at 2500 calories daily total spread over 4 meals a day.

Anyway, that's the plan so here's hoping I get there!
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #41 on: May 4, 2014, 03:52:27 pm »
Next year:

100k on the bike in under 3 hours
Sub 1.30 for the half marathon (haven't done a sub1.30 for 8 years)
Swimming training from March onwards
First triathlon in towards the end of the year (Half-Ironman)
As I look back at this I can see that my goals have changed and I have met some of them.  Done the sub-1:30 half and beat my personal best in the marathon a couple of weeks ago (that was a new goal).  The cycling and tri-related goals have been shelved for the moment as I focus on running.

The next goal is to make another dent in the marathon personal best later this year and to drop some body fat and develop some core strength en route.

And good luck CornerFlag!

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2014, 10:34:58 am »
I'm starting a new job in June, which is only 4 miles from my flat.

Hoping to run home from the office at least once a week.

Putting it in here, so I keep myself accountable.
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline Cha82

• Anny Roader
  • permanently confused
« Reply #43 on: June 2, 2014, 04:06:48 pm »
 :wave

Run half marathon in under 2.5 hours

Force myself to train 3 times a week instead of the 'two MAYBE three times' I have been doing.

good luck everyone!

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 10:23:13 pm »
My biggest bike ride so far is 58.6 miles and my goal is to cycle 100 miles in one day.
On Tuesday, 2 days ago, I done it.

1 year and 9 months later, but never mind, I have done what Ive wanted to do for quite some time.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=130151.msg13048207#msg13048207

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 05:54:07 pm »
Short term:

- sub40 in a 10K race by October (training PB: 40:41)

Long term:

- sub65 in the Tely 10 miler next July. (sub70 was my goal this year, and I finished in 67:30.)

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 06:49:43 pm »
My biggest bike ride so far is 58.6 miles and my goal is to cycle 100 miles in one day.

Cross thread congrats ;D it's a bloody good feeling.

Having done my first 5k at the gym today, here are my goals for 2014.

1) Get my horrible 00:34:12 5k down to 00:29:59

2) Do a 100 mile on the bike in a day before dark evenings kick in again

3) Drop down from 204lbs to 180lbs
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2014, 11:02:26 am »
1) Get my weight to sub 11.5 stone by the new year (currently 13)
2) Join a football team and play regularly to the highest level I can
3) Rejoin my old running club and start competing in competitions

Just want to get to a healthy weight so I can do well in my activities really.  Gain some fitness and be in a decent shape to go on with my life.

Mad this was almost two years ago. 

Well I am sub 11.5 stone now and I am playing for a football team.  Not running for a club but when I'm playing football anywhere from 2-3 times a week it's probably best not to be.  Am doing running on the treadmill to keep up fitness instead.  All in all progress is what counts.

I suppose my goals going forward will to get my body fat down to the 10%-12% area and keep improving my fitness and football whilst I keep gradually making small changes leading to a healthy lifestyle.  My ultimate goal is to play football professionally but that'll take some time. 

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 10:10:28 am »
I'm starting a new job in June, which is only 4 miles from my flat.

Hoping to run home from the office at least once a week.

Putting it in here, so I keep myself accountable.

Finally got round to doing this last week. Been going well so far, I'm yet to do the whole distance without stopping for a rest but, I have been enjoying it much more than the train.

If I can some how eventually shave off ten minutes, it will actually be quicker than the train!

Hope everybody is progressing well!

Offline lauz

• Looking for a talented pastie smasher. Apply within.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2014, 11:10:00 pm »
2 weeks ago i weighed in at just under 14 stone, my goal is to lose about 3-4 stone, and get fit. Started a new job (FT carer in a nursing home), and have a fitbit activity wristband, and in my job i currently walk about 14,000 a day sometimes more, sometimes less so I'm starting to get there.

Weighed myself today and had lost about 8 pounds, which is great as I have stayed away from bad foods (trying to follow the GL diet), walked every day and been gym. Feeling quite motived.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2014, 08:51:34 am »
Finally got round to doing this last week. Been going well so far, I'm yet to do the whole distance without stopping for a rest but, I have been enjoying it much more than the train.

If I can some how eventually shave off ten minutes, it will actually be quicker than the train!

Hope everybody is progressing well!

Bike?

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2014, 02:26:39 pm »
Bike?

I actually prefer running if I'm honest/

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 1, 2014, 04:26:57 am »
Currently 99kgs (was up to 105kgs)

My goals:

1. Get Down to 80kg by January (depending on how much muscle I may put on)

2. Compete in a Triathlon in the Aussie summer.

3. Compete in a marathon.

4. Continue hitting the gym every morning till Christmas.

5. Maintain a healthy diet.

Both will be a massive accomplishment as I couldn't even walk for about a 6 month period in 2011/12.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2017, 03:52:52 am »
Going to bump this oldie. Not quite the same format, but in terms of personal goals, well I've booked a holiday away in Portugal with a load of friends and family, July 1st - July 6th. That's my goal date - be the best I can and have ever been in my life. Would be good to have the confidence to be topless again with a load of people.

Haven't been topless in front of anyone in public in over 7 years now! I'm nowhere near being obese, in fact I regularly get told I'm in shape - but in reality I'm skinny fat to quite an extent after being 'shredded' in the past. Was at 82kg in the summer, with a combination of loads of things and inconsistent dieting, I'm now at around 77kg. My goal is to lose fat initially. I've been on a cut since January 9th - although I've had far too many cheat meals (despite this I'm still in a calorie deficit for the day usually, besides when out drinking once). I'm starting to see very subtle changes. I'm giving it until early-mid April to cut down to as close to 70kg as possible (an unattainable figure but one to work towards long term). Then plan on going a mini bulk for a couple of months and solid training to gain back some of the muscle I'm no doubt losing despite lifting 4x a week minimum (I don't do cardio, I believe lifting is enough if you're in a high calorie deficit, unless you're going for the absolutely shredded/ripped physique which isn't my goal at the moment). I'm probably at a skinny-fat/skinny level at the moment, but given another 6 weeks of sticking to my nutrition and workouts I think that'll be skinny-muscular (fingers crossed!).

Started more compound training over isolation exercise (also do them, but at the end of the workout as a 'blast' for the muscle). Can't do squats at home without potentially breaking something and can't afford the gym at the moment, so lifting at home. Do what I can do at home with my weights.

Deadlifts: 90kg 2x5 (can't go higher without breaking the floor - feel I have a lot more on this, just trying to perfect the form in legs)
Bench press: 70kg 3x4 (don't have a weight bench, so this is the most I can do on the bench that I do use - safely)
Overhead press: 45kg 3x6
Barbell curls: 35kg 3x8
Bent over rows: 60kg 3x10
Barbell shrugs: 65kg 3x8
Tricep kickbacks: 10kg 3x8
Diamond push ups: 2x15
Decline push ups: 2x10

Highly suggest going on Youtube and looking at Athlean X, by the way. And do his six minute ab workout, I do that at the end of mine and I've seen them pop out a whole lot more - and for six minutes, it feels a lot more like 25 when you're doing it, much more engaging and challenging for the core than simple sit ups.

I'm eating at a 400-700 deficit, with regular macros of 160g protein, 50g fat and excess calories in carbs (although I try and limit carbs to as close to 100g a day (is usually less than this unless I'm eating brown rice). No special 'diet' foods', just cutting out the shit as much as I can, eat clean and healthy and natural foods. I have a low appetite in general (always have), so 'being on a diet' doesn't really feel like I am on one.

Hope to be back in this thread in a couple of months time with some progress pictures. :wave
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:55:55 am by El Denzel Pepito »

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2017, 12:19:05 pm »
Go on holiday two months today so hoping to lose a bit of weight before then. Not in terrible shape at the moment but not really been able to train since becoming a father in July. Not been to the gym or to my boxing club once but still doing enough exercise on the stationary bike and weights at home to prevent putting on too much weight.

Downloaded myfitness pal at the start of the week cos it was absolutely brilliant for me a few years ago when it helped me lose nearly 3 stone in four months. Only been using it for a week but already feeling better for it as I'm managing to keep a pretty big calorie deficit virtually every day.

Offline my name canged back to tucker?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2017, 09:20:46 pm »
few running ones for me-

1) sub 1hr 40minute half marathon-----running one in 5 weeks and training going well, can get the miles done just need to run them quicker!

2) run a marathon----------belfast 1st may is the aim, furthest run to date is 14.2miles so need to find another 12 somewhere between now and then

3) Id love to do a sub 35minute 5 mile race---------may be later in the year when i start concentrating more on speed as opposed to distance

4) quit smoking-----------will make all of the above so much more achievable

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2017, 10:10:38 pm »
Cross thread congrats ;D it's a bloody good feeling.

Having done my first 5k at the gym today, here are my goals for 2014.

1) Get my horrible 00:34:12 5k down to 00:29:59

2) Do a 100 mile on the bike in a day before dark evenings kick in again

3) Drop down from 204lbs to 180lbs

1) Did that - 25:45 is the current.
Aim is 24:00

2) Did that - but moved onto running.
Aim is a half marathon.

3) Did that but went back up again, on 190lbs now.
Aim is back to 180lbs and stay there!

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2020, 08:40:11 pm »
That was then, this is now.

To date I have cycled 100 miles and more over 50 times the longest one being 152 mile from my Dads house to Berwick upon Tweed and back which is 72 mile each way.  Not on a fast, light road bike neither, on a Boardman hybrid   :)

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2020, 08:52:14 pm »
Well done Paul.

errr just started the couch to 5km. I've a 10k to run in June.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2020, 10:54:58 pm »
Bit of a basic one but hoping to put on 7-10 kg in the next 4 months. Not sure if it's doable as I need to eat a whole lot of food to put on any bit of weight but it's something I'm determined to do.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2020, 10:58:25 pm »
So I've just signed up for a half marathon in September. Eeek!

22 weeks to get my lardy arse into shape. Never run further than about 6 miles in my life. Going to have to follow a training plan religiously.

Seeing as this thread has been bumped, I’ve now done three half marathons. Not sure I love it like many do but it sort of keeps me from getting completely unfit. And just signed up for a fourth in April so it can’t be completely awful.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2020, 11:04:11 pm »
Seeing as this thread has been bumped, I’ve now done three half marathons. Not sure I love it like many do but it sort of keeps me from getting completely unfit. And just signed up for a fourth in April so it can’t be completely awful.

Fair play, can never get in to long distance running find it way too mundane. Do you listen to podcasts or anything while out running?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2020, 11:32:56 pm »
Fair play, can never get in to long distance running find it way too mundane. Do you listen to podcasts or anything while out running?

Music mainly, podcasts sometimes but I think I need something a bit more high tempo (not sure why, I’m hardly sprinting!).

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2020, 12:30:37 am »
Music mainly, podcasts sometimes but I think I need something a bit more high tempo (not sure why, I’m hardly sprinting!).

Must try get back in to it again in the summer time when the weather is a bit more forgiving.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2020, 05:14:22 pm »
Great thread!

I have some short-term goals, mainly to get back running consistently again. I have told my Husband I am buying a Nespresso machine if I run 60km+ in Feb. That's not alot to some, but it's 5k three times a week which is alot for me, as I have struggled to run consistently since summer time. So I am hoping this motivates me to get back into a routine and get back out running with my Club.

Another is to get back to the level I was at last year. I am not a great runner, but I was doing 6:16km-6:36km pace on a regular basis over 3-5 miles, and improving but kind of lost motivation and then in summer really started to lose motivation and fell away completely. I didn't realise at the time that those times I was doing were really good. I have done 50km this month - did almost 5k today at 7:01km pace, so I can see my times coming down. I just need to stick with it and stay motivated.

My Parkrun PB is 31:22 I think. Would love to get a sub-30min Parkrun. This is for another time/thread but I have real issues with pushing myself, like a fear. I think I am afraid I will pass out or collapse and I think that's why I fell away from my best pace, think I got a bit scared. But if I just keep trying to improve slowly, and get back to where I was, I might get the confidence to go for it some Saturday later in the year.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2020, 05:15:14 pm »
Must try get back in to it again in the summer time when the weather is a bit more forgiving.

I find this weather 10 times easier to run in, than summer time! Once you get running and warmed up, you don't really feel the cold.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2020, 05:19:34 pm »
I find this weather 10 times easier to run in, than summer time! Once you get running and warmed up, you don't really feel the cold.

I agree. Certainly on daytime runs at a weekend. It’s a bit tougher to get out after work when it’s dark and cold and you can’t run in the parks like you can on summer evenings. That’s proving a bit more of a test of my motivation!

Online fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2020, 02:06:09 pm »
I'm posting here for a bit of support and advice. I'm 53 and have avoided gyms very successfully for most of those years.

In August I weighed 107kg and was borderline obese. I changed my diet to reduce fat, cut out sweets and massively increased protein through lentils and beans. The diet is supported by 2-3 visits to the gym to walk a treadmill for an hour  or so. I'm also nursing a weak ankle, so can't do more than walk or use the armbike.

After a planned blip at Xmas I now weigh 89kg. The plan is to keep doing what I am to get to a sustainable BMI and then gradually build up muscle.

I've a target to base the muscle growth around doing pull-ups. Before Xmas I was just starting that programme and I've yet to start that again, but will be soon.

I think I've got a successful weightloss programme and the pull-ups give me a target to work towards.

Any advice on how to improve what I'm doing?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2020, 04:51:49 pm »

I take it you don't live on the west coast of Ireland with hailstones the size tennis balls lashing down on you  ;D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2020, 04:58:14 pm »
I'm posting here for a bit of support and advice. I'm 53 and have avoided gyms very successfully for most of those years.

In August I weighed 107kg and was borderline obese. I changed my diet to reduce fat, cut out sweets and massively increased protein through lentils and beans. The diet is supported by 2-3 visits to the gym to walk a treadmill for an hour  or so. I'm also nursing a weak ankle, so can't do more than walk or use the armbike.

After a planned blip at Xmas I now weigh 89kg. The plan is to keep doing what I am to get to a sustainable BMI and then gradually build up muscle.

I've a target to base the muscle growth around doing pull-ups. Before Xmas I was just starting that programme and I've yet to start that again, but will be soon.

I think I've got a successful weightloss programme and the pull-ups give me a target to work towards.

Any advice on how to improve what I'm doing?

107 down to 89 is quite a significant drop so you're on a good start there. The only thing I could say is to check what kind of carbs you're ingesting and whether they have high glycemic index levels. Generally it's the white carbs like bread or pasta that have high gi levels which raise the blood sugar levels. I stick to mainly wholemeal where I can in relation to pasta, rice bread etc.

In terms of the exercising you could throw in some pushups and squats as well for a near full body workout if you want to stay away from doing weights.

Online fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2020, 06:16:01 pm »
107 down to 89 is quite a significant drop so you're on a good start there. The only thing I could say is to check what kind of carbs you're ingesting and whether they have high glycemic index levels. Generally it's the white carbs like bread or pasta that have high gi levels which raise the blood sugar levels. I stick to mainly wholemeal where I can in relation to pasta, rice bread etc.

In terms of the exercising you could throw in some pushups and squats as well for a near full body workout if you want to stay away from doing weights.
Thanks for the advice. I'll post an update when I'm no longer overweight.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2020, 08:28:13 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I'll post an update when I'm no longer overweight.

Good stuff, hope it keeps going well for you.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2020, 08:45:10 am »
Starting the Hemsworth app soon. Get better defined body shape hopefully.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2020, 04:26:47 pm »
I take it you don't live on the west coast of Ireland with hailstones the size tennis balls lashing down on you  ;D

Fair! :D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2020, 02:53:26 pm »
Great thread!
I have some short-term goals, mainly to get back running consistently again. I have told my Husband I am buying a Nespresso machine if I run 60km+ in Feb. That's not alot to some, but it's 5k three times a week which is alot for me, as I have struggled to run consistently since summer time. So I am hoping this motivates me to get back into a routine and get back out running with my Club.

I have doubted whether or not this would be possible given a) my laziness recently and b) the two storms causing bad weather in these parts.

But I am 37km down already - another 23km to go in 11 days!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2020, 04:17:53 pm »
Well done Paul.

errr just started the couch to 5km. I've a 10k to run in June.
Thank you and good luck with your running mate.

Running is something that I only do when absolutely necessarry  . . . . such as legging it down the road for a bus    :)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2020, 08:17:46 pm »
I have doubted whether or not this would be possible given a) my laziness recently and b) the two storms causing bad weather in these parts.

But I am 37km down already - another 23km to go in 11 days!

How are you getting on Ciara? I’m still crap on my conversions but I’m up to 43 miles for Feb so do I qualify for a Nespresso machine too or does this only apply to you? :D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2020, 12:01:13 pm »
How are you getting on Ciara? I’m still crap on my conversions but I’m up to 43 miles for Feb so do I qualify for a Nespresso machine too or does this only apply to you? :D

61.84km (38 miles) for February clocked up :D Including an 8 mile run on Sunday morning which was good - slow, but good! Maybe will get out tomorrow too, so hopefully closer to 70km for the month. But the point of it was to help me get back into the routine of running, which is what I have done - I am out a couple of times a week with my Club now and maybe once by myself.

I will make you a Nespresso if you are ever in the area for your efforts! :D