Author Topic: The PC Gaming Thread  (Read 261712 times)

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
Re: The PC Gaming Thread
« Reply #160 on: November 2, 2011, 04:35:58 pm »
HI all,

I am thinking about picking this up for a cheapo gaming setup, selling my laptop to fund it.  What do you think is it worth the money?

I am selling the following desktop system for £295 inc. P&P:

Case: Antec 300
Case Fans: x3 120mm (2x Front, 1x Rear), x1 140mm (Top)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 445 Processor @ 3.875GHz (1.45V, 52C under load)
CPU Fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) 800MHz 4-4-4-12-2T
GPU: XFX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-216D
PSU: Antec TruePower New 550W Modular PSU
HDD: WDC WD4000AAKS-22YGA0 (400GB)

hmmmm....
Replace the board. A decent AM3 board could probably unlock the Athlon X3's fourth core, have USB 3.0 and a better north bridge, and leave you the option to upgrade later.

Can't comment on the GPU. Everything else looks decent enough.
All non-ravens are non-black.

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #161 on: November 2, 2011, 05:23:44 pm »
Thinking of getting this on Friday, anyone have one of these?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-gigabyte-gtx-560-oc-40nm-4008mhz-gddr5-gpu-830mhz-shader-1660mhz-336-cores-2-x-dvi-i-mhdmi-plusf

or should I go for 560 Ti?
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: November 2, 2011, 05:41:27 pm »
Thinking of getting this on Friday, anyone have one of these?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-gigabyte-gtx-560-oc-40nm-4008mhz-gddr5-gpu-830mhz-shader-1660mhz-336-cores-2-x-dvi-i-mhdmi-plusf

or should I go for 560 Ti?

i've got a MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II, very good card and would definitely recommend it

Offline cim-pim-param

• Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #163 on: November 2, 2011, 05:48:38 pm »
i've got a MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II, very good card and would definitely recommend it
What is your PSU? Because I'm afraid my wont handle 560 Ti.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: November 2, 2011, 06:51:43 pm »
900w

the psu i had when first installed it packed up after a couple of hours, the minimum specs for the card say you need at least 500w with 30 amps on the 12v rail & 2 pci-e power connectors, also the card is very big, it takes up 2 slots on the back panel and more or less blocks one of the sata ports on my board, it's not a problem like as i'm building a new pc and am gradually buying parts when i can afford them

so far it's maxed out everything i've thrown at it (only used the detected settings on battlefield 3) without breaking sweat, the twin fans keep it around 55c under full load and i reckon it will run cooler in my new rig as this case i have at the moment isn't the greatest for airflow

Offline Megasuperb

• really would look good without that pattern
  • Legacy Fan
  • Diet Water Please
« Reply #165 on: November 3, 2011, 02:22:19 pm »
My computer came in today. Seems nice, haven't had time to play anything because they're still downloading  :P Wish I could play Skyrim when it comes out but buying this machine made me fucking skint anyway.
Quote from: Mohammad Shahrul
We are going to bully them today. We are a big club. We are Liverpool
for God sake and we are marching to Wembley. The shit club like
Villa is just a sex slave for The Mighty Reds' lust.

Offline reds9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #166 on: November 3, 2011, 04:00:55 pm »
I have been playing the PC version of Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. Challenging addictive puzzle-rpg with great music and story. One of the best game I've played this year.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #167 on: November 3, 2011, 08:03:05 pm »

Same here. I'm using a BeQuiet! 530W PSU and there are no problems...

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #168 on: November 3, 2011, 08:37:22 pm »
Anyone ever have Batman AA crash? Was playing this for the last month and then it just started crashing. Updated .NET, Games For Windows Live, Verified Cache with Steam, disabled Realtek HD Audio (fuck that!), and then it started back up and played fine. 20 minutes later, crash mid grapple. I'm going to try using older Realtek drivers that were out before the GOTY version was released and see if that works. Anyone have a clue? I've googled all I can and tried everything. F.u.c.k............. I'm not Batman. 

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: November 3, 2011, 09:01:10 pm »
so no takers for a swap on renegade ops, it's a great little game
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Megasuperb

• really would look good without that pattern
  • Legacy Fan
  • Diet Water Please
« Reply #170 on: November 3, 2011, 11:27:42 pm »
Anyone know how to transfer steam games from one computer to the other? I have San Andreas and TF2 on my laptop and want to put them on my PC without taking the time to download them?
Quote from: Mohammad Shahrul
We are going to bully them today. We are a big club. We are Liverpool
for God sake and we are marching to Wembley. The shit club like
Villa is just a sex slave for The Mighty Reds' lust.

Offline cim-pim-param

• Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #171 on: November 3, 2011, 11:34:46 pm »
Anyone know how to transfer steam games from one computer to the other? I have San Andreas and TF2 on my laptop and want to put them on my PC without taking the time to download them?
There is a backup option, if you just go to the library and right click on the game youll see an option to backup your game content. Ofc you will need a memory stick or external hdd to do that.
Altho I haven't done this myself, I just assume it works this way.. :D
« Last Edit: November 3, 2011, 11:38:04 pm by cim-pim-param »

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #172 on: November 4, 2011, 04:16:15 am »
I have been playing the PC version of Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. Challenging addictive puzzle-rpg with great music and story. One of the best game I've played this year.

Yep, me as well. wish there were more people online so i could get games faster though, matchmaking's a little slow.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: The PC Gaming Thread
« Reply #173 on: November 4, 2011, 11:00:42 am »
There is a backup option, if you just go to the library and right click on the game youll see an option to backup your game content. Ofc you will need a memory stick or external hdd to do that.
Altho I haven't done this myself, I just assume it works this way.. :D

It does
STFU and agree with me.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #174 on: November 4, 2011, 11:10:12 am »
It does

The only thing you might have to do is redownload all the updates, depending on how many there were. I have done it myself a couple of times and there were games, when after installing the backup on the other computer I had to download another 300MB, which in my view is completely insane when I'm making a backup from an up-to-date game... :(

Offline c0burn

• Kopite
  • The King
« Reply #175 on: November 4, 2011, 11:53:10 am »
To avoid that you can just literally copy your entire steam folder (C:\program files (x86)\steam) to another pc and run steam.exe on the new PC. Steam will take care of the rest, you'll just have to set up your own desktop shortcuts again if you need.

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #176 on: November 4, 2011, 01:50:32 pm »
So if I copy the Steam folder to another drive, what about all those random game folders in my Documents folder? Can I delete them? I'm not even sure what they're there for, I assume the game created them when it runs and uses them for temp files or something.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 4, 2011, 03:50:34 pm »
if you just copy over the folder in your steam directory it will likely download any stuff it stores elsewhere, usually a small % of the total amount

you'll have to tell steam to redownload it though but it will work out that most of it's downloaded and just get the bits that might be saved elsewhere, such as crap in my documents
STFU and agree with me.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #178 on: November 4, 2011, 05:42:00 pm »
Is there any difference between turning the mains power off on your PC when it completely freezes or holding down the power button?
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #179 on: November 5, 2011, 10:38:19 am »
To avoid that you can just literally copy your entire steam folder (C:\program files (x86)\steam) to another pc and run steam.exe on the new PC. Steam will take care of the rest, you'll just have to set up your own desktop shortcuts again if you need.
Type it into google, there's instructions all over the place. But I'm pretty sure you don't need the whole folder, it's just the 'steamapps' one, which contains all the games.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #180 on: November 5, 2011, 04:11:34 pm »
I had been waiting for Stronghold 3 since the let down that was Stronghold 2. The company has supposedly been developing it for 4 years, but god, it clearly does not show or the Firefly employs less than 5 people.

The first one was immense and I used to have a lot of fun playing skirmishes at my cousins but they've been unable to recreate the magic of the past.

It came out on the 25th but waited for a few reviews to come out, all saying what a mediocre,  unfinished piece of software it is. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole particularly at the steep price of €50!  massive disappointment.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #181 on: November 7, 2011, 08:33:01 pm »
Is the desktop gaming PC on decline?

Earlier today I was contemplating buying a console so I could play Uncharted, Dark Souls, Gears of War, etc. But what if the next generation of console's are right around the corner? Buy a console now when it will be outdated in a few years?

And what if the next console generation is a power hungry beast of a machine? Do I buy that console or upgrade my PC? I guess the console, if it wasn't for games I wouldn't need to upgrade. Might as well get the console and enjoy the titles I miss out on each year.

And AMDs recent moves only confirm my suspicions. The profits lie with APUs for laptops (Fusion, Llano, Trinity, etc) and multi-threaded server chips (Bulldozer), and not high end graphics cards (hence visionaries Rick Bergman and Carrel Killebrew no longer with AMD) and enthusiast/gaming CPUs.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 7, 2011, 09:41:46 pm »
Is the desktop gaming PC on decline?

Earlier today I was contemplating buying a console so I could play Uncharted, Dark Souls, Gears of War, etc. But what if the next generation of console's are right around the corner? Buy a console now when it will be outdated in a few years?

And what if the next console generation is a power hungry beast of a machine? Do I buy that console or upgrade my PC? I guess the console, if it wasn't for games I wouldn't need to upgrade. Might as well get the console and enjoy the titles I miss out on each year.

And AMDs recent moves only confirm my suspicions. The profits lie with APUs for laptops (Fusion, Llano, Trinity, etc) and multi-threaded server chips (Bulldozer), and not high end graphics cards (hence visionaries Rick Bergman and Carrel Killebrew no longer with AMD) and enthusiast/gaming CPUs.
Interesting question. I bought my desktop 2 or 3 years ago, and at that time it was toppish notch, though I still could have bought a much better processor. So that's around the time of PS3 coming out, maybe a bit after. My PC did and does absolutely rip the utter piss out of the PS3, and I've actually saved the difference in cash from the amount of games I've bought. In fact, with over 250 legitimately bought games in that time, there is no way I could get close to that amount on a console. Of course, I don't necessarily play them all so to an extent it's false economy, but nevertheless the £600 or so difference between my PC and a PS3 at the time I bought it would still have been made up after 60 games, less then that even with Steam sales.

There will remain a place for PC most likely because it's so important as a driver of technologies. Something doesn't always have to be the most profitable thing to stay viable. Those high-end GFX cards might not be where the profit's at, but there's still a profit, and it's those cards which also carry a lot of sway in terms of image among the most important market of all for any type of technology - the more money than sense (or too much money to care) early adopter crowd.

Then at the more realistic end, when the next gen consoles come out all I'll have to do is add a bit more ram and twin-up my existing graphics card and I'll still be able to beat the piss out of them in terms of hardware for what has been vastly less money over that whole lifetime of games. Plus I'll still be able to play ALL my old games. Oh, and do all the other things a PC can do that a console can't.

If anything, what I could see happening is something like that Onlive really taking over, but if it does that's the 'death' of both gaming PCs AND consoles, because you'll just stream games through your HDTV instead.

There's also my own personal tastes of course - I wouldn't swap all of those games you mentioned for the Witcher games, or having Skyrim on the PC, or the new X game that'll be coming out next year, or for many people Starcraft 2. Consoles aren't the only platform with exclusive titles, and most of those titles are ones I'm not interested in, meanwhile nearly every game that's cross-platform that's been ported with some respect is better on a PC.

Oh, and mods.

So no, I don't think gaming PCs will die just yet! ;)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 7, 2011, 09:54:14 pm »
i don't understand picking one, just get a high end pc, an xbox and a ps3 ;D

like all the cool kids ie me
STFU and agree with me.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: November 7, 2011, 11:37:08 pm »
i don't understand picking one, just get a high end pc, an xbox and a ps3 ;D

like all the cool kids ie me

You're about as cool as a stinking hot turd, but probably smell on a par with one with all those electronics burning away around you.  ;)
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline cim-pim-param

• Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #185 on: November 8, 2011, 02:14:09 pm »
My new  GTX 560 works a treat! Very happy.

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #186 on: November 8, 2011, 03:32:28 pm »

There's also my own personal tastes of course - I wouldn't swap all of those games you mentioned for the Witcher games, or having Skyrim on the PC, or the new X game that'll be coming out next year, or for many people Starcraft 2. Consoles aren't the only platform with exclusive titles, and most of those titles are ones I'm not interested in, meanwhile nearly every game that's cross-platform that's been ported with some respect is better on a PC.

Oh, and mods.

So no, I don't think gaming PCs will die just yet! ;)

I agree, I love my PC and games on it offer much more than what consoles are capable of. But for game developers, consoles offer less piracy, less driver problems, and a bigger market than PCs do.

And AMD's recent moves seem to indicate that they've looked at their competitors and thought, "why are we trying to compete with Intel and Nvidia technology when the money to be made is selling budget chips, APUs and mobile workstation HW, and server chips. Not high end GPUs and CPUs that most people don't need." If that's true, prices will not go down on enthusiast hardware, and the PC gaming market will remain as it is, which makes the console vs PC debate for developers even more prevalent.

If I could get the missus to agree, I'd have both a PS3 and XBox. But I get evil looks already when I play on the PC.

Offline Dick_Emre

• Kopite
« Reply #187 on: November 8, 2011, 03:50:39 pm »
I expect a resurgence in PC gaming and Onlive to replace console gaming.
(Might be wrong, like :D)
#PardewForEngland

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #188 on: November 8, 2011, 07:39:03 pm »
Anyone used Onlive?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: November 8, 2011, 07:47:46 pm »
onlive won't replace jack shit
STFU and agree with me.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 8, 2011, 09:30:13 pm »
onlive won't replace jack shit
Maybe, maybe not. But people thought CDs would last for ever, that vinyls were dead, and that minidiscs were awesome.

Internet is already replacing TV for a hell of a lot of people. The casual gaming market is astonishingly big, it's not that crazy to think that gaming via the internet is a more viable way 'in' for many people, without the expense, without the hassle, and with an infinity of choice of games to play.

Maybe not onlive itself, of course, but then I don't suppose Steam was the first outlet to sell games digitally via downloads.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: November 8, 2011, 10:10:18 pm »
i just don't think the infrastructure is in place yet for it to succeed 
STFU and agree with me.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 8, 2011, 10:13:32 pm »
i just don't think the infrastructure is in place yet for it to succeed 
Yeah, probably not yet, but given enough time? Maybe, that's all I'm saying.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 8, 2011, 10:21:26 pm »
i'd like to know how close you'd need to be to their servers to make it acceptable, i'd assume anywhere in the uk would be fine if they have uk based server farms

also they only provide PC games at present, so no console exclusives and i can't see sony or MS agreeing to it
STFU and agree with me.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 8, 2011, 10:24:14 pm »
i'd like to know how close you'd need to be to their servers to make it acceptable, i'd assume anywhere in the uk would be fine if they have uk based server farms

also they only provide PC games at present, so no console exclusives and i can't see sony or MS agreeing to it
Yeah that's a good point, lag is the main issue. You're right about the copyrighting stuff too, but it's a bit like with something like Lovefilm - if it really catches on eventually the manufacturers/distributers will have to play ball or lose their market altogether. Of course that's a reasonably-sized if right there. I have to try it actually, I got the 30 day code in PC Gamer a while back. Got to be worth a little go, especially in these demo-almost-free days. the lag wouldn't be anywhere near as much of an issue on most single player games, of course. Something like, say, Skyrim you wouldn't really notice it, even if the servers were US based.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 8, 2011, 10:53:35 pm »
you'd notice it in the graphics dept, i'll be running skyrim at 1080p on my PC, any less would disgust me ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 9, 2011, 02:24:44 am »
you'd notice it in the graphics dept, i'll be running skyrim at 1080p on my PC, any less would disgust me ;D
ewwww. only 1080? I won't go out of bed for less than 1900 x 1200! ;D

Seriously though, that's meant to be one of the advantages is that the server side can run it full spec, at least I understand that's the eventual idea. I will concede that I don't really have much of an actual clue how it works though.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 9, 2011, 07:27:27 am »
ewwww. only 1080? I won't go out of bed for less than 1900 x 1200! ;D

You're not wrong.

Roll on Friday.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 9, 2011, 09:00:10 am »
Thats 1080 on a 32 inch screen . Also with regards onlive running it at full res. Thats not really relevant unless you can stream it at 1080. Otherwise it could look like a you tube video
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Dick_Emre

• Kopite
« Reply #199 on: November 9, 2011, 09:40:23 am »
I made an accoujnt and tried some of the free demos on  Onlive.
http://www.onlive.co.uk/
It's not for me as I basically play WW1 and WW2 flight sims and motor racing sims and not the stuff they were offering.
That said it is piss easy to set up and run a game as long as your internet speed is good enough. Casual gamers like "easy" and that's why I think that Onlive might yet succed.
We shall see though.
#PardewForEngland