Author Topic: Swimming  (Read 23287 times)

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
Re: Swimming
« Reply #80 on: August 8, 2012, 02:19:57 pm »
i can swim but i cannot stay still in water...i just drown :/  not useful when you want to have a chat to someone in the water during the holidays
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 8, 2012, 07:49:06 pm »
Anyone know if there's any outdoor pools / places to swim in or around Liverpool? Other than the beach. Weather is way too nice to go swimming indoors.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: August 8, 2012, 11:06:58 pm »
I'll give you a lift into Glasgow next time i'm up. Push you in the Clyde and we'll find out ;)

river calder nearer the shop :P

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2012, 08:37:20 am »
Really need to get my back sorted so i can re-start. Not been in a year due to a car crash.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2012, 01:10:15 pm »
I've started swimming regularly for the first time, making sure that I go twice a week.

I'm enjoying it quite a lot and I've come on quite a bit since I first started going. As with most things, the more you go the better you get at it (though I'm still getting overtaken by old ladies, ha).

Swimming has quickly become one of the workouts that I look forward to.
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2012, 01:17:28 pm »
Going to be looking in here as I'm planning to do a triathlon towards the end of next year.

Offline paiiv

• Anny Roader
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2012, 06:14:53 pm »
I started swimming again this summer and since the beginning of August I've surprised myself and kept on doing it about 3-4 times a week. It sounds smug but I'm really pleased with myself!! I've now had a short break because of flu but I'm definitely going again tomorrow. I'm feeling the break in my neck and shoulders which are getting way too tight - I didn't really realise how good swimming did to me until I stopped for a while!

I've also found the perfect goggles for me, very basic and cheap but fit well and don't leak or get foggy.

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2012, 06:15:52 pm »
im going tomorrow night actually, picton one.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: October 4, 2012, 02:10:06 pm »
Does anyone regularly suffer from cramp whilst swimming? After about 20 or so lengths in the pool (not in a row), I usually start getting cramp in my feet and it tends to throw me off.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and found a way to overcome it?

Offline paiiv

• Anny Roader
« Reply #89 on: October 6, 2012, 10:41:18 am »
Does anyone regularly suffer from cramp whilst swimming? After about 20 or so lengths in the pool (not in a row), I usually start getting cramp in my feet and it tends to throw me off.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and found a way to overcome it?

I did! Only once like really bad, often just felt a tightness in my right calf. And only when doing flutter kick. I started stretching more and taking magnesium as well and that helped. I've stopped with the magnesium now so it could be it's the warm-up routine and stretching that helps me.

In other news I've now graduated from the basic slow lane to maybe medium- lane and I'm very happy about my progress! Everybody's pace is more or less the same there so no more overtaking or having to think other swimmers' speed. The joy!

Offline Flon

• Kopite
« Reply #90 on: November 7, 2012, 02:26:12 am »
I used to swim a lot when I was a kid, grew up by the sea and also had regular lessons. Really let myself go over the past year (I've got three stone to lose) so decided to jump back in the pool. Found it difficult to get back into the stride of things at first, but then I started following the 0to1650 program and it's been a lot easier to make and track progress. Definitely recommend it to anybody who is a novice or hasn't swam for a while.

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #91 on: November 7, 2012, 02:47:51 pm »
Anyone know if there's any outdoor pools / places to swim in or around Liverpool? Other than the beach. Weather is way too nice to go swimming indoors.

Bit late now, but doesnt Marbury Park between Runcorn and Northwich have an outdoor pool.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #92 on: November 7, 2012, 03:39:15 pm »
One form of physical exercise I could never get down with, I'm destined to be a land lubber I'm afraid.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #93 on: November 8, 2012, 02:09:24 pm »
I love it. I usually do it as recovery exercise the day after a difficult run or the gym. Usually do about 50 lengths at a moderate pace, occasionally throwing in a burst of effort. One thing is, my rhythm is rather poor when it comes to breathing. Can't get a suitable rhythm that feels comfortable with breathing. Really enjoy it though.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2012, 01:45:46 pm »
Completed my first mile yesterday, after 6 weeks of regular swimming (three sessions a week).

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2012, 04:04:46 pm »
Swimming about 7k a week these days, really enjoying it.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2012, 09:33:15 am »
Am I the only one here who finds swimming tickets expensive? I mean if you wanted to swim 3 times a week, that's £18 at least.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2012, 09:56:29 pm »
Am I the only one here who finds swimming tickets expensive? I mean if you wanted to swim 3 times a week, that's £18 at least.
Most pools/ gym's with a pool have some sort of membership scheme that massively reduces the price, if you go often enough to take advantage. My gym is £145 for the year, unlimited access to the gym and pool. I hit the pool two or three times a week and the gym three times. Without the membership that would cost me £28. Definitely worth it. Some gyms do new year resolution deals, maybe look into that in coming months?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline YayaP

• Is John McEnroe.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2013, 05:07:36 pm »
Got in the pool for the first time since high school today. I was a state record holder and top ranked nationally in the 100 breaststroke in my glory days but just could never get myself back in the pool after I burnt out and quit. I have to say it felt good to be back, just being around the pool and in the water. Swam about a mile, little freestyle and a little kick. Just trying to get myself into it again, because it's just so good for you and I was so passionate about it in high school. Did a 50 and 75 free for time, 25 seconds and 45 seconds respectively so I'm happy with that. Will see if I'm able to improve over the course of the semester. I am going to work full time next year and think swimming could be something to fit in my schedule. Anyone else work and swim?
"I belong to a special club, I live with special people, this is a privilege, this is pure happiness." -Gerard Houllier

“When they start talking and talking about us, it shows they are worried about playing Liverpool,” - Rafa Benitez

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2013, 09:48:27 pm »
I used to swim a lot. I remember the final day of school ever June, my Mum would take me to the local pool and buy me a book of tickets that lasted me for the entire summer. I lived within walking distance, so would go everyday, sometimes twice a day depending. Then I developed cholesteatoma in my ear when I was 10-11 and haven't been able to go since.

Pretty much been told by my surgeon that I'll never be able to swim again.

Used to love it as a kid and really, really miss it.

Had numerous ear problems - cholesteatoma, perforated eardrum etc... Had several major operations and need to go back and forth for checkups every 3-6 months.

Is there such a thing as ear plugs that guarantee no water getting into the ear drum? Or a similar device?

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2013, 01:30:53 pm »
I've just started swimming regularly and I'm really enjoying it, apart from one thing; the personal hygiene of other pool users. Yesterday when I was swimming a guy came out of the sauna covered in sweat, wearing his normal underwear, and hopped straight into the pool. A couple of other people obviously hadn't showered as every time I swam past them I went through a haze of body odour and perfume.

What should I do about this? I was really tempted to have words with the sauna guy. Maybe I should have. Should I be expecting the pool staff to be policing this kind of thing? Or do I just have to deal with this when using a public pool?

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2013, 01:37:34 pm »

Had numerous ear problems - cholesteatoma, perforated eardrum etc... Had several major operations and need to go back and forth for checkups every 3-6 months.

Is there such a thing as ear plugs that guarantee no water getting into the ear drum? Or a similar device?

You can get some gel ear plugs that work really well in water (I have some blue ones from Boots.). They are completely malleable.  I know of at least one guy who wears them for swimming. I think it's these

http://www.boots.com/en/BioEars-Soft-Silicone-Earplugs-3-pairs_39424/?CAWELAID=334495493
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2013, 04:24:39 pm »

You can also get a swimming cap with a rubber seal around it which creates a tight seal around your head, no water will get in. They're really tight though, so this one's dependent on you not minding having a noticeable red-indent on your forehead and neck after you've stopped swimming though. One of my mate's had congenital cholesteatoma and she uses the sealed-cap thing.

Offline paiiv

• Anny Roader
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2013, 01:54:32 pm »
I've just started swimming regularly and I'm really enjoying it, apart from one thing; the personal hygiene of other pool users. Yesterday when I was swimming a guy came out of the sauna covered in sweat, wearing his normal underwear, and hopped straight into the pool. A couple of other people obviously hadn't showered as every time I swam past them I went through a haze of body odour and perfume.

What should I do about this? I was really tempted to have words with the sauna guy. Maybe I should have. Should I be expecting the pool staff to be policing this kind of thing? Or do I just have to deal with this when using a public pool?

I've been thinking about the same issue. It's strange being able to recognise certain swimmers by their smell, perfume, hair wax or whatever. But it's not just that: Last time I was in the shower and next to me came a woman with her kid, a girl about 3-4 years old, both of them in their swimming suits. The girl said she needed to pee, and the mom told her to do it there - "there's water so you can do it". What the fuck?? Your own shower in your own house can be used as a toilet if you so wish but a public shower can not, and if you can urinate in the water then what's stopping you doing it in the pool?

I've reported the worst cases to the staff - there are rules and the staff is there to see that they're obeyed - but they don't seem too eager to do anything. Where I go swimming in shorts is forbidden because of the textile fibres blocking the filters hence causing technical problems and hygiene risks. The staff do police this rule - so why wouldn't they see that people shower after sauna and before jumping into the pool? Smell/personal hygiene is of course a very personal matter (which is why I've been too shy to tell the people directly) but I can't see why this couldn't been dealt with discreetly and promptly. Telling a person one time should work for most of us (nobody wants to be embarrassed repeatedly) but if they're not strict about this it'll happen over and over again.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #104 on: March 1, 2013, 03:59:11 am »
I've been thinking about the same issue. It's strange being able to recognise certain swimmers by their smell, perfume, hair wax or whatever. But it's not just that: Last time I was in the shower and next to me came a woman with her kid, a girl about 3-4 years old, both of them in their swimming suits. The girl said she needed to pee, and the mom told her to do it there - "there's water so you can do it". What the fuck?? Your own shower in your own house can be used as a toilet if you so wish but a public shower can not, and if you can urinate in the water then what's stopping you doing it in the pool?

I've reported the worst cases to the staff - there are rules and the staff is there to see that they're obeyed - but they don't seem too eager to do anything. Where I go swimming in shorts is forbidden because of the textile fibres blocking the filters hence causing technical problems and hygiene risks. The staff do police this rule - so why wouldn't they see that people shower after sauna and before jumping into the pool? Smell/personal hygiene is of course a very personal matter (which is why I've been too shy to tell the people directly) but I can't see why this couldn't been dealt with discreetly and promptly. Telling a person one time should work for most of us (nobody wants to be embarrassed repeatedly) but if they're not strict about this it'll happen over and over again.

I think that is important that you tell these people to deal with their odours, because even thoug those are personal matters, the fact that the things they do affect  the hygiene of the common areas stops being a personall matter.

And to the mom with telling her children to pee in the shower, I would have told her to do it in the bathroom.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 1, 2013, 08:09:32 am »

There's an over 50s session at our local pool which I attend (only just qualify!) and it's absolutely mobbed. There's two old girls who must be cracking on 70 and try as I do, they just drop me off when I try to keep pace with them. Decided to start a bit of a regime to try and improve my swimming fitness and some day catch them up! Fair play to them I hope I'm that lively when I reach their age.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #106 on: March 4, 2013, 08:23:13 pm »
So ive sunk my entire 2012 bonus into an annual pass at my local pool in an effort to motivate myself to lose some weight this year.

I used to swim at an amateur level when i was younger but gave up when i went to college and uni. Been a good 10 years since i last swam properly.

Aiming to get in 3 1 hour sessions a week and see where i go from there.

Offline RedRich84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • SOS 7033
« Reply #107 on: April 8, 2013, 04:47:36 pm »
Just signed up for the Great London Swim which is a mile open water course around London Docklands.

I swim about once a week at the moment, usually around 25 lengths of a 20 metre pool - so 500m. A mile is c. 65 lengths so I need to more than double this.

So I have 4 months to train myself up!

Experienced swimmers - how difficult will this be? It is open water so just how different is it to swimming in a pool? How much training do I need to put in open water as opposed to my local pool?

I'm lucky enough to live close to Brockwell Lido (near Brixton) which is a 50m pool. This will be great for practising in a wetsuit etc.

Really looking forward to getting my teeth into some decent swimming!!

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2014, 08:59:15 pm »
I know this is an old post, but I've just signed up for the council gyms, it's £13.50 a month just swimming, can use all their pools across town and as often as you want. Don't think that's bad. Young kids go free, and all under 17s can go free all summer if they sign up to a free scheme.

(Only issue is they're going to close my local pool sometime soon, but that's more for the tory bastards thread....)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline laximaginationzzz

• Kopite
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2014, 06:58:52 pm »
I'm loving the feature I just discovered on the Swimfit website, where you can log your swims against a "real world" distance and see where on the map you are up to.

At 73 miles, the whole length of the River Tyne is going to take me a while, but hey, it's motivating...
Quite an interesting view that

Much better than 1 length, 2 lengths so on
LFC. YNWA. JFT96.

Offline laximaginationzzz

• Kopite
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2014, 09:41:11 pm »
Feel like I ought to point out you still have to count your lengths so you can enter them to log the distance. Still more interesting though.

On it now, been 3 days out of 4 - we'll see how that drops when I have to go back to work ;D
Oh yeah ;D

How far down the River Tyne have you got?
LFC. YNWA. JFT96.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2014, 01:56:13 pm »
general question, im blind as a bat without my glasses so normally wear contacts when im doing any sports, does anyone wear contacts when swimming or do they just get prescription goggles?

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2014, 11:11:11 pm »
In the past i've just used goggles without contacts, but hopefully once i get started again i'll go down route of prescription goggles.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2014, 01:01:42 pm »
Haha, I'm still not even at Alston, I'll be here a while...

Also it turns out that my local pool is 25 yards, not metres - I had thought it was a bit short but not got round to checking. So it's 70.4 lengths to swim a mile. Yikes.

Still loving it though, summer membership runs out on Sunday so then it's over to buying 10-swim passes for the price of 9. Good thing being that they're not time limited, so can buy them as and when.

One thing I will say with regards to short pools is don't get drawn in to kicking off at every turn because in effect you're 'cheating' by shaving off anywhere from 2-5 metres from each length you do.

The pool I regularly swim in is 20m and although it's not ideal because I love the turn, it's more than adequate for what most averages swimmers need.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2014, 03:53:20 pm »
Does anyone use or tried to use a waterproof mp3 player in the pool?

Seems ideal to ease away some of the monotony which comes with swimming length after length, but I don't know anyone who's used one and reviews seem extremely mixed when you look at them on Amazon.

Plus, what with my swimming cap, nose clip, ear plugs and (always misted) goggles, do you think it's an accessory too far?!

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2015, 10:06:15 pm »
I'm at it. Find it enjoyable, although I am still struggling with freestyle and bilateral breathing. Making steady progress though. The most annoying thing is trying to keep track of how many lengths I've done. Breaststroke has come on leaps and bounds, getting really comfortable swimming like that.

I find this website quite helpful. I am lucky I can fit swimming into my routine most days without too much disruption. Much more fun than running.

Still want to let my inner child loose and do a flip into the pool or something. All feels a bit to conformist this up and down lark.
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2015, 11:31:02 pm »
No magical waistline changes yet but very much enjoying the thrice-weekly swim. Anyone else?

Same here. Not really doing it for weight loss, just to get more active again and relax after work.

to be honest I was looking at some swimming videos today and was thinking that even very good swimmers don't necessarily look, um, fit. Seems to me that most pros build up their body in the gym, instead of it happening automatically with swimming. For example, just read today about outdoor swimmer Sally Goble - she swam the channel, but I wouldn't have guessed it from her looks (sorry Sally!)

Still want to let my inner child loose and do a flip into the pool or something. All feels a bit to conformist this up and down lark.
Haha, know exactly what you mean! Spend my childhood summer days just messing about in the water, feels strange just swimming up and down. Enjoy it though :)

I really started swimming last summer, I couldn't do proper front crawl and have spend all the time up until now working on breathing. It's a lot better now, I think it finally clicked a few weeks ago. I couldn't time the breathing out phase with my strokes, what helped me most was a) concentrating on breathing out most while pushing the lower arm forward, just before rolling/turning head to breath. Before I was breathing out too late, when my lower arm was already dropping.  b) rolling straight back after breathing (feels to me like pushing my face back into the pillow after having a look at the clock and not wanting to get up, lol)

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2015, 06:02:05 pm »
If anyone has trouble with leaking goggles, I strongly recommend ones made by Aqua Sphere. They have a seal around the eye as well as a strap, they stick to your head like the sucker on a plunger. After going through several other brands I have settled with these.
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2015, 10:46:37 am »
Started going swimming today.  Haven't swam any disance since my school days, others than messing about with the kids on holidays.
I've put on a couple of stone in the last year or two and hoping this might help shift a litttle, along with picking up some weights and a bettter diet.

I've a bad knee so running any distance on the road is out of the question for me.

Was tight enough this morning.  Managed about 12 lengths untill I was knackered.

Still, its a start.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2015, 10:53:01 am »
Congrats on getting started :wave The start is the hardest. Just get into a routine now and don't let other put you off ;D

Regarding weight loss/bad knee, not to take the threa off topic, but have you considered cycling?