Author Topic: Swimming  (Read 23166 times)

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Swimming
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2015, 11:00:02 am »
Congrats on getting started :wave The start is the hardest. Just get into a routine now and don't let other put you off ;D

Regarding weight loss/bad knee, not to take the threa off topic, but have you considered cycling?
Cheers.  Planning to go Mon/Wed/Fri morning before work.

I have cycled in the past, but the problem I found with it was it just takes up too much time.  A good run out would involve a good few hours and with work and two youngs kids I couldn't commit that much time.

I used to get up before work and run a few miles 3 times a week, but I had my ACL rebuilt a few years ago and this last year it's been giving me more bother so I've stopped with the road running, but the early mornings, while the rest of the house was still sleeping worked well, hence why swimming came into my head.
Ticks the boxes in terms of low impact on knee, not too time consuming and can get it down before work.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2015, 11:49:12 am »
I just find swimming very relaxing, good to get rid of stress.

I'm cycling to work now and then, but depending how close you live it might not be much of a workout. Anyway, there's another thread for that, lets keep this too the swimming :D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2015, 11:55:04 am »
I just find swimming very relaxing, good to get rid of stress.

Relaxing wasn't the feeling I was geting this morning, more of a panic in terms of trying not to drown. 

It will come with time hopefully!

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2015, 08:47:40 pm »
i dip in and out of swimming ;)

i like the feeling afterwards but its so boring .........   after say 20 minutes of the same view i have generally had enough.  I much prefer running outside (or cycling) and having a look around as i exercise. The other morning i saw a fox stalking some rabbits .. it was fascinating.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2015, 09:59:47 pm »
Relaxing wasn't the feeling I was geting this morning, more of a panic in terms of trying not to drown. 

It will come with time hopefully!
Yeah, just relax, you won't drown :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2015, 10:25:11 pm »
I've been getting swimming lessons the last 6 weeks or so, 30mins per session & I'm delighted with my progress.

So, I've learned how to breath out correctly, then turn onto my back mid stroke, or after 3 or 4 strokes.
I'm swimming sideways too and swimming on my back.
Hopefully I can soon put it all together and swim the pool properly.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2015, 10:30:47 pm »
I'm gonna drink 3 bottles of red wine, and jump into Hendon Virgin swimming pool. LFC is great!
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2015, 10:34:53 pm »
I've been getting swimming lessons the last 6 weeks or so, 30mins per session & I'm delighted with my progress.

So, I've learned how to breath out correctly, then turn onto my back mid stroke, or after 3 or 4 strokes.
I'm swimming sideways too and swimming on my back.
Hopefully I can soon put it all together and swim the pool properly.

I'm a little tempted to get some adult swimming lessons.

I can get myself about the pool OK but my breaststroke is shite. Can't get my legs right and I even get old ladies overtaking me.

If I could master the "bob" or a breathing technique I'm sure I could get out more than 30-40 lengths before tiring and going in the jacuzzi instead ;D
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2015, 10:43:53 pm »
Friends say hypnotherapy, works. Too much of a rationalist to fall that type gimmick. Can I fool myself into thinking, I don't fear water? Possibly. But it would mean conceding rationality. Something, the ability to swim does not equate to, yet.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2015, 10:44:37 pm »
Until last summer, I could only really do breaststroke. But then I rediscovered swimming, and watched lots of youtube videos on swimming technique, heh. Can swim in the fast lane now, fuck knows what it looks like ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2015, 10:50:44 pm »
Friends say hypnotherapy, works. Too much of a rationalist to fall that type gimmick. Can I fool myself into thinking, I don't fear water? Possibly. But it would mean conceding rationality. Something, the ability to swim does not equate to, yet.
To be honest I don't fear water so maybe I can't understand.

But with all irrational fears, imo the problem is you cannot explain them away or fool yourself - they are part of a very ancient part of the brain, it can't be argued with, but maybe it can be cuddled and comforted. I think what works is to take it slowly, get in the water (doesn't have to be deep), and when the fear comes, breath deeply and try to relax. Tell yourself that it's safe, there is nothing to fear, but most importantly try to relax. It'll take a bit of time.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2015, 11:26:48 pm »
I'm a little tempted to get some adult swimming lessons.

I can get myself about the pool OK but my breaststroke is shite. Can't get my legs right and I even get old ladies overtaking me.

If I could master the "bob" or a breathing technique I'm sure I could get out more than 30-40 lengths before tiring and going in the jacuzzi instead ;D
Do, they've been very good for me. Best to learn properly, than always fighting with the water

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2015, 09:35:25 am »
Managed 20 lengths this morning so an improvment on Monday.

Small steps.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2015, 02:23:02 pm »
Is swimming good for losing weight? I`ve started going the gym, have a bit of a dodgy knee and was considering mixing up cycling, rowing machine and swimming.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2015, 02:57:08 pm »
Look at the whales.... ;D

To be honest, I don't know. I think you can burn quite a few calories, but its hard to keep it up long enough to make a difference. And its easy to swim too slowly to burn anything. Obviously, its a brilliant excercise if you cant put weight on your knee.

It might also depend on how much weight you have and how much you want to lose. If you're heavy it might be easier to lose weight, get your fitness up, and both without doing more damage to your body.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2015, 05:06:04 pm »
Thats an interesting reason, makes sense. I don't think its too bad when swimming in a heated pool though. Think i've argued above that just from looking at long-distance swimmers, they don't seem to lose much weight.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2015, 05:32:37 pm »
Any of you guys do any open water swimming? It's brilliant! & when I take my wetsuit off & swim it feels really liberating, *for the want of a better word   :wave

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2015, 07:37:20 pm »
Any of you guys do any open water swimming? It's brilliant! & when I take my wetsuit off & swim it feels really liberating, *for the want of a better word   :wave
Used too, before I moved here, where it's apparently something odd and dangerous to do... Used to spend all summer in a lake as a kid.

There's a massive lack of good outdoor swimming spots too.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2015, 09:57:49 pm »
Used too, before I moved here, where it's apparently something odd and dangerous to do... Used to spend all summer in a lake as a kid.

There's a massive lack of good outdoor swimming spots too.
Where's here matey?
It's getting very popular now & our local gravel pit lake is usually pretty busy really!! Well there always seems to be someone there whenever I go!

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2015, 10:08:51 pm »
Where's here matey?
It's getting very popular now & our local gravel pit lake is usually pretty busy really!! Well there always seems to be someone there whenever I go!
Liverpool. Favourite place for a quick swim includes a 50 mile bike ride, you'd like that!

There's the watersports centre in one of the docks, but they have so many rules its ridiculous.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2015, 10:17:16 pm »
Yeah I think the authorities are running scared of any sort of open water swimming if there's no life guards, in case someone drowns! Quite why they have to take responsibility for peoples stupidity as far as water is concerned is beyond me?? I remember swimming in the canal as a kid! Its almost a secret society the open water swimming round here (Nottm/Derby)  Thing is the police cant get involved from what I understand as its a civil matter?
Anyway open water swimming is where its at, its so totally different to lane swimming at the pool. Almost scary if you're a unconfident swimmer like me, but exhilarating too!!

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2015, 10:27:04 pm »
With the watersports centre, I think it must be an insurance thing.

For other places, why don't they just put 'swim at your own risk' signs up? Or 'if you drown its your own fault' ;D

Swimming in summer should always be outdoors. :D

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2015, 07:23:56 am »
Look at the whales.... ;D

To be honest, I don't know. I think you can burn quite a few calories, but its hard to keep it up long enough to make a difference. And its easy to swim too slowly to burn anything. Obviously, its a brilliant excercise if you cant put weight on your knee.

It might also depend on how much weight you have and how much you want to lose. If you're heavy it might be easier to lose weight, get your fitness up, and both without doing more damage to your body.
Cheers mate. I`m not too overweight, wanted to lose between 0.5-1 stone as I`ve put a bit on this last year through going from a physical job all my life as an electrician to more of a managerial role, sitting behind a desk and lots and lots of inactivity sitting behind a wheel driving round the country.
Apparently it's really not - immersion in cold water tells your body to fatten up between swims. I'd say focus on your diet for weight loss and use the swims to make you feel good and keep your body working.

I haven't been for over a week because of dodgy eye last week; looking forward to getting back to it tomorrow.
Makes sense that Elli cheers.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2015, 08:46:45 am »
Back in this morning.  Finding that with the breaststoke at a good pace I can power on for a good while, but still struggling with my front crawl. 

It seems to be my breathing that I'm struggling with.  I can roll my head to either side after every 3rd or 4th stoke to breath okay, but when blowing out I seem to be blow all the air out almost instantly after my head goes back into the water, then holding my breath for the next two/three strokes.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2015, 09:14:26 am »
Cheers mate. I`m not too overweight, wanted to lose between 0.5-1 stone as I`ve put a bit on this last year through going from a physical job all my life as an electrician to more of a managerial role, sitting behind a desk and lots and lots of inactivity sitting behind a wheel driving round the country.

I know that feeling... wrong thread again, but cycling helps me massively.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2015, 09:24:10 am »
Back in this morning.  Finding that with the breaststoke at a good pace I can power on for a good while, but still struggling with my front crawl. 

It seems to be my breathing that I'm struggling with.  I can roll my head to either side after every 3rd or 4th stoke to breath okay, but when blowing out I seem to be blow all the air out almost instantly after my head goes back into the water, then holding my breath for the next two/three strokes.
The breathing will come, just stick with it. Mate of mine is a coach and he says a good way to learn to breath out is to say 'bubble, bubble, breath' out loud under water, in sync with your strokes. But to be honest i just breath out continously. I find that position makes a difference too, its easier to breath put when your looking down and harder if your head is tilted up. Or maybe thats just my weirdly shaped nose. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2016, 04:15:42 pm »
Last post in here was a year ago....any of you still go?

Went swimming today for the first time in half a year....my puny cyclists arms didn't last very long :(

Its nice tho, hope I'll manage to go more regularly again.

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2023, 01:36:31 pm »
Been going last few months after many years gap. Just doing 20x25 mixture of breaststroke and free. Swim watch has made a massive difference to my enthusiasm for swimming as I can see my improvements in technique in my SWOLF data. Nearly ready to transition to intermediate lane I think!