Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1832518 times)

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2007, 03:44:46 pm »
Like Pheeny, I wouldn't get on a bike at all without a helmet but appreciate anyone who, having considered all the evidence, decides not to.  I came from a mountain bike background and there's no debate at all there; everyone wears a helmet at all times and it's just a habit now.

Interestingly, I was cycling with a neuro-surgeon from Leeds in the summer and we were going up a steep hill on a baking hot day and he took his helmet off.  As we crested the summit, he put it back on for the fast descent.  Being a brain surgeon, I reckoned he knew all the facts so I asked him about it.  He said that in a crash above 30 kilometres an hour, your helmet wouldn't do any good.  I pointed out that in that case, he'd have been better wearing the helmet on the slow grind up the hill and taking it off on the down!  He laughed and said regardless of the facts, you go with what your gut tells you and furthermore, he'd have been severely embarrassed to survive a crash but get a head injury when he wasn't wearing a helmet if he had to be treated by his colleagues at Leeds! 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2007, 07:51:12 pm »
wear a helmet. just google bike crashes and see the damage to helmets in them. and yes i heard of the same study about being given more room, but i'd rather be given less room and be safer. anyhow the room issue is forced by riding aggressively and not sucking the kerb. that is, not cyclign like a twat in th emiddle of the road but not between the two yellow lines. also they get slippy in the rain so be careful.
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2007, 07:52:31 pm »
any places online which is best to get a bike from at the moment?

wiggle. but imho use a local bike shop. what bike you after? do you know what size you want? where to get services/advice? oh if you are anywhere near harborne the harborne cycle shop based at the blind school/queen alex college is great :)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2007, 10:36:18 am »
Unless you are very knowledgeable about bikes and can do your own servicing and repairs, don't buy online but get it from a local shop.  This cannot be over-emphasised.  You'll find them delighted to help you sort out minor problems and niggles if you bought from them and usually free of charge plus you'll meet loads of like-minded characters in there to sort out riding groups etc. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2007, 09:28:46 pm »
I have been considering clipless pedal, I'm just a little worried about falling off at every junction, but I guess that you just need to practise.

Biggest barrier to overcome is pride. I don't know anybody, including yours truly, who hasn't gone through the embarrassment of keeling over at a stop light with both feet still locked in, while a bus queue of folks looks the other way and tries not to laugh. This'll happen at least once in your early clipless days. You just have to concentrate until the whole thing becomes automatic. Even precautionary unclipping - loosening off on one foot when you're coming to a bad intersection or tricky situation like cars pulling in and out of parking spots - becomes automatic. Once you get used to clipless you'll never go back.

The only caution I'd add on buying a bike for commuting is don't lay out so much money you'll attract every thief in town. Bike thieves are notoriously up on what's of value in the bike world and will take anything that's not bolted down. I used to off-road in a spot that was favoured by a nearby correctional camp - juvenile delinquents being conducted on huge hikes by hard-nosed counsellors. As you passed one of their groups you could hear them muttering to eachother stuff like, "That guy's on a Hammer. Deore derailleurs, chromoly frame, Araya rims."
There, I've dated myself.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Pheeny

« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2007, 09:49:06 pm »
I'd also recommend carrying a spare innertube and some tools with you.Also have a practice of changing the innertube I'm almost up to F1 standards. :)

PS. am I the only one thats not fallen whilst using clipless then?

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: October 1, 2007, 12:29:34 am »
clipless faller here - at least 3 times. i'm a slow learner!

egg beaters/candy by crank bros for me. you guys?

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #167 on: October 1, 2007, 12:31:54 am »
Whatca doing in New Yoik saph?

I'm stuck working in Moorestown, just outside of Philladelphia at the mo.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #168 on: October 1, 2007, 02:11:11 am »
I'd also recommend carrying a spare innertube and some tools with you.Also have a practice of changing the innertube I'm almost up to F1 standards.

There's a question.
I've gone all the way from carrying just a pump and patch kit to bringing along the kitchen sink, and I'm trying to find the happy medium. These days, for on-road riding I carry a spare tube, spare tyre, pump, patch kit and 2 levers, and a tool that offers the standard allen key sizes. All this goes into a compact bag under the saddle. But over the years I've had everything go during rides - gear cables, brake cables, spokes, rear derailleur, even a handlebar stem, and I'm wondering if I should rethink my toolkit. Hoping you breakdown near a bike shop isn't particularly wise and even if you do they often can't help you if you're not on a mainstream machine.
What do you guys carry on long-distance, unsupported, rides?

P.S. Pheeny, you're a miracle of focus and concentration, man. I thought falling unclipped was a rite of passage for every rider, like going over the handlebars or being caught pissing in somebody's driveway.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: October 1, 2007, 08:16:12 am »
clipless faller here - at least 3 times. i'm a slow learner!

egg beaters/candy by crank bros for me. you guys?

Look Keos for me on my pride and joy but standard SPDs on my mountain bike and winter road bike. 

As for falling off, I went from a flat pedal system to having one SPD on the left side only, initially, just to get used to it.  Once I had got the hang of flicking out, I replaced the right pedal.  I wouldn't be embarrassed (obviously, since I wasn't) by having just one until you're happy with what you're going to be using. 

As for what you carry; I take a small saddle bag with one spare inner, a Crank Brothers all-in-one mini tool kit (there's enough tools on there to keep you going) which has tyre levers built in to it and a small compressed air pump, loaded, with one spare comp. air tube.  Even if a gear or brake cable goes, you've still got enough gears and one brake which will be sufficient for getting you home or to a pub where you can call home.  Taking too much is inviting problems, I always think. 
« Last Edit: October 1, 2007, 08:20:24 am by MBE »

Pheeny

« Reply #170 on: October 1, 2007, 11:46:27 am »
3 bikes 3 different pedals...

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #171 on: October 1, 2007, 06:30:10 pm »
Similar to MBE. Campy on the pride-and-joy, spd on the winter clunkers. I've got a 185k circuit that involves 2 ferry rides, so tried switching the p.a.j. to spds to avoid having to carry a pair of flip-flops for the ferry. Not sure it was a good idea. By hour five your feet really notice the difference.

Re. gear cables, no probs if its the front that goes, but you're totally buggered if the rear snaps. It defaults to your smallest cog. Try climbing a long 8% on 39 through 12.

Re. tools. I put a few wraps of duct tape around my tyre levers, great for patching small tyre gashes. At 90+psi your inner tube will find its way through the smallest tyre nick.

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #172 on: October 1, 2007, 07:01:44 pm »
Don't have clipless, prefer flats purely for the amount of times i've seen mates fall off on rocky singletrack.

Kit wise i always take, allen key, multi tool, adhesive, patches, scabs (self adhesive patches), pump, tyre leavers and spare tube.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #173 on: October 2, 2007, 01:58:45 am »
Don't have clipless, prefer flats purely for the amount of times i've seen mates fall off on rocky singletrack.

Agree with you for off-road.
I used to carry a chain-break when I was doing serious off-road touring. If you bust your rear derailleur arm you can can get rid it, select a middle gear and shorten the chain so it'll stay on. No fun, but that'll get you out.

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tries to post intelligently and normally fails..
« Reply #174 on: October 2, 2007, 10:50:00 am »
Thanks fella's have starting riding to work at least 2 days a week and 2 spin sessions a
I disagree with Pheeny's disagreement!  I think he lives in Belgium or Holland or somewhere like that and so probably needs the company of other riders to entertain him on rides through those endlessly boring countries.  We on the other hand have the never-ending delights of Her Majesty's realm in which to exercise to our heart's content! 
Thanks for the advice, I am planning on riding to work 2/3 times a weeks which gives 44 or 66 miles plus a spin session in the gym. I have two small children so weekend rides are a little difficult. I then plan to join a club in the Spring.

Thanks again

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: October 4, 2007, 06:49:22 pm »
guess what i did today? i went and bought aerobars. just the profile century ones but how fucking cool is that?

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: October 4, 2007, 07:17:52 pm »
guess what i did today? i went and bought aerobars. just the profile century ones but how fucking cool is that?

Kinell, I remember when you were nervous about having a cyclist's water bottle and not a backpack-platypus thingy and now you're going with bars where your hands are miles (might as well be!) from the brakes!  Only aero bars I'll have on my bike will be in me pocket so's I can have a chocolate-y treat when I get hungry. 

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: October 4, 2007, 09:27:22 pm »
thanks mbe :) yeh handling today on the bars reminded me of how i was a good few months ago just on the hoods. amazing isn't it? what i noticed is that once you are in them it is fine; getting from them to the brakes is when it gets twitchy but i'm sure it'll get easier with practice. no rides now though till sunday as my family are up/over and they don't know about my road bike - oops!

mmm mint aero!

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #178 on: October 5, 2007, 12:08:24 am »
Aero bars. They sure look cool but ................ between gear-changing and braking I can't see spending much time crouched over those things unless you're time-trialing at a aerodrome. Still, some guys swear by them.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2007, 10:19:46 am »
After weeks of thinking about it....Ive finally bought myself a road bike.

Ive spent £300 on one, not wanting to spend too much incase I dont take to it as I expect.

Now the quest starts forthe following:

- What kit to buy and where from?
- What set up I need on the bike?
- What maintenance should I do to it before I start?
- What sort of routes should I start on? distances/times etc? [Bear in mind that I am out of shape - hence the reason it was bought]

Any advice gratefully received.

Nice one

:wave

Pheeny

« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2007, 04:48:41 pm »
- What kit to buy and where from?

Definitely need a par of cycling shorts/trousers with a pamper in.

- What set up I need on the bike?

http://www.northlan.gov.uk/leisure+and+tourism/sports+activities/cycling/setting+up+your+bike.html

- What maintenance should I do to it before I start?

If its a new bike you should not need any.

- What sort of routes should I start on? distances/times etc? [Bear in mind that I am out of shape - hence the reason it was bought]

Should try and avoid any hills until you get some sort of basis.
Distance/speed etc depends on how fit/unfit you are.

Hope that helps you Andy
:wave

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2007, 05:00:46 pm »
Derailleurs are a right pain in the arse.

(Admittedly the ones that are annoying me at the moment are about 20-odd years old)
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #182 on: October 20, 2007, 05:05:22 pm »
Not a road biker myself, but found that these two sites are great for gear Chain Reaction and Wiggle. Evans are also good, if a little pricey.

To start with you'll need a helmet for sure, and a puncture repair kit (including tyre leavers, patches adhesive etc.) Some padded shorts like Pheeny said and some gloves will make your ride more comfortable, and depending on how far you're going you'll need drinks, so maybe a bottle cage or a hydration pack might be worth considering, although a bottle in a rucksack works just as well if you don't mind stopping every time you take a drink.

Hope that helps mate.

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2007, 04:54:15 pm »
You're also going to need glasses.  I use some cheap clear lens ones myself.  You might think they're not necessary but once the first bumble bee bounces off your eyeball, you'll never ride without them again!

Gloves also might not seem necessary but ignore them at your peril.  Get ones with gel inserts and they'll save your hands getting numb during and after the ride.  They'll also save you considerable pain when you fall off (and you inevitably will!) 

Pheeny

« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2007, 04:58:13 pm »

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2007, 01:05:37 am »
I'd lube the chain on a new bike. If it's been on the shop floor for a while it could be dry as a nun's nasty.
As for what lube you use, ask ten cyclists and you'll get 10 different opinions.
Agree about the glasses. Get a frame and two or three lenses, dark for sunny days, yellow or clear for everything else.

Offline axb96m

• Hates foreigners
  • Anny Roader
  • Victim of mods
« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2007, 11:41:08 am »
a puncture repair kit (including tyre leavers, patches adhesive etc.)

I don't tend to bother with patches - just bring a couple of spare inner tubes. You'll need tyre levers & a pump but you should be able to get home, where fixing that puncture can be done at leisure. Also take your mobile - if you buckle your wheel or something, just give your mate/wife/someone nice who's got a car a call!
"Admittedly, Michelangelo has been dead for 441 years, and as such, the metaphor is slightly ill conceived; unless, of course, to even it out, the monkey has also been dead for 441 years –– in which case, the whole thing is just rather macabre: a dead artist, a dead monkey and two untouched pieces of clay..."

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »
I don't tend to bother with patches - just bring a couple of spare inner tubes.

As a first option, agreed. But I've had five flats in one ride and nobody's going to carry five tubes. One matchbox-sized patch kit will get you out of a jam. I also carry one of those foldable tyres. Carrying a mobile makes sense but by Murphy's law nodody's close at hand or available when the really bad stuff happens. I'm even starting to carry a spare gear cable. For the negligible weight and space it takes up, it's worth it. Those fancy finger-flick changers are great but they sure go through cables. Everything you need will go into one 1 litre capacity under-seat bag or even into your jersey pockets if you don't mind looking like quasimodo on the bike.

Offline axb96m

• Hates foreigners
  • Anny Roader
  • Victim of mods
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2007, 09:34:31 am »
As a first option, agreed. But I've had five flats in one ride and nobody's going to carry five tubes.

I had 3 flats within 20 minutes once! Taught me to check the inside of my tyre for that chunk of glass or thorn sticking through!
"Admittedly, Michelangelo has been dead for 441 years, and as such, the metaphor is slightly ill conceived; unless, of course, to even it out, the monkey has also been dead for 441 years –– in which case, the whole thing is just rather macabre: a dead artist, a dead monkey and two untouched pieces of clay..."

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2007, 10:43:54 am »
I don't tend to bother with patches - just bring a couple of spare inner tubes.
If i'm feeling lazy and not doing that much off roading then i agree. But for the epic off roaders where we go miles away from and roads then patches are  a better option. Like howes said patches take up much less room, but also they are less expensive than new tubes.
Although there are times, like when me and a mate got multiple punctures, that tubes do need to be replaced as they were pretty much unfixable, so maybe taking both patches and new tubes is  a good idea. Just in case.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2007, 05:07:01 pm »
Taught me to check the inside of my tyre for that chunk of glass or thorn sticking through!

Exactly, and those bastard strands from disintegrated radial tyres. Thinner than a hair and so hard to find. They give you a slow punctures that doesn't show until you you get a snake bite going over a pebble.
I have to admit some of my flats have been self-inflicted. Standing there pouring sweat and trying to jam the tube back in with traffic roaring three feet from you earhole, guaranteed to nick it with your tyre levers, and now you're REALLY pissed. There's a moral there somewhere.

Just changing the subject: aside from not going out, how do you guys avoid wet feet? Got caught in a downpour the other day and I can live with claminess everywhere (winter or summer I sweat like a pig) but inside a minute my shoes were waterlogged. I see all kinds of shoe covers on the market - neoprene, packcloth etc.. Anybody use them and do they work well?

Pheeny

« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2007, 08:59:43 pm »
I've got a couple of sets of these

http://www.bbbparts.com/

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2007, 10:06:49 pm »
I use one of these for changing a tyre; seems pretty quick and have never damaged the tube.....yet. How do the other levers compare? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360019204&N=Crank%20Brothers%20Speed%20Lever
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Thehunter1978

• Anny Roader
« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2007, 01:12:55 am »
In the same position as Roper, first time buying a bike but need some advice as I know nothing about them. Don't want to spend a fortune the first time round but I've been looking at GT GTR 4 or the Specialized Allez 16. Are these decent first bikes or has anybody else got any other suggestions?

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86698

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70071

Pheeny

« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2007, 06:15:39 am »
Specialized Allez series are excellent bikes and I'd recommend then to anyone.

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2007, 08:20:07 am »
In the same position as Roper, first time buying a bike but need some advice as I know nothing about them. Don't want to spend a fortune the first time round but I've been looking at GT GTR 4 or the Specialized Allez 16. Are these decent first bikes or has anybody else got any other suggestions?

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86698

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70071

You won't go wrong with either of them, mate.  I did notice though that the Specialized has a triple chain set.  You'll only need this if you live in an especially hilly area and even then, you'll outgrow it in a few months anyway.  My advice would be to stick to a double as there's less to go wrong and they are easier to ride and maintain. 

Offline Thehunter1978

• Anny Roader
« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2007, 11:19:36 am »
Thanks for the advice MBE. I really haven't a clue what I should be looking for so any help is appreciated.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2007, 10:16:34 pm »
Thanks Pheeny and all for your replies.

I didnt spend a fortune on the bike - being my first, i just wanted to get into it 1st, and then go from there.

So i bought this....No laughing!!!!

Just getting the other bits of kit together and readin up on some stuff before my 1st proper ride this coming week.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2007, 04:49:12 pm »
Thanks, Pheeny. How's the neoprene for keeping water out? The neoprene sprayskirt on my kayak leaks like a sieve.

I use one of these for changing a tyre; seems pretty quick and have never damaged the tube.....yet. How do the other levers compare?

That's quite the tyre lever Mr. B. I thought it was a roof rack. What size is it? Six Euros for a tyre lever, it'd better play tunes. I use the standard two-lever set-up, two plastic thingies with ends like spoon handles. They're better than the old metal ones for nicking your tubes, but far from foolproof. The secret is patience, which I'm out of when I'm taking the back wheel off for the second time in an hour.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: October 31, 2007, 12:06:05 am »
Thanks, Pheeny. How's the neoprene for keeping water out? The neoprene sprayskirt on my kayak leaks like a sieve.

That's quite the tyre lever Mr. B. I thought it was a roof rack. What size is it? Six Euros for a tyre lever, it'd better play tunes. I use the standard two-lever set-up, two plastic thingies with ends like spoon handles. They're better than the old metal ones for nicking your tubes, but far from foolproof. The secret is patience, which I'm out of when I'm taking the back wheel off for the second time in an hour.

It's really not that big; I'll measure it tomorrow if I remember. You just extend it, lever one end under the tyre rim and the other end locates on your spindle. Then just slide it in one motion all the way around the rim. Putting the tyre back on is just the opposite.

The only reason I bought one is that when I bought my bike, the bloke in the shop blew the tyre off the rim when inflating it; he just pulled one of these out and changed the tube in literally seconds.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.