Author Topic: What Car Do You Own/Drive?  (Read 477569 times)

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
Re: What Car Do You Own/Drive?
« Reply #5240 on: September 15, 2020, 05:18:32 pm »
Looking for a bit of advice here. The wife...sorry 'we' have lost one of the smart keys for out keyless entry 18 month old Fiesta. I reckon it's going to be expensive but should I get one from the local ford dealer or look elsewhere?

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5241 on: September 15, 2020, 05:29:20 pm »
Thinking about getting a new car over the next few weeks, I've got a 61 plate Fiesta at the moment with 80k on the clock. Quite a few decent used deals going round but some places like Hyundai are offering a scrappage scheme for that is in my car's age range. Does anyone have any experience of the Hyundai i20?

Not the i20, but I had an i30 as a temporary motor for two weeks late last year.  Decent car, as long as you're not expecting anything flash.  Had all the gear you might need and was smooth enough.  Meant to be reliable as well.  I'd definitely recommend taking one for a test drive if you just want something that'll do the basic job of getting you about without any fuss.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5242 on: September 15, 2020, 07:35:38 pm »
Looking for a bit of advice here. The wife...sorry 'we' have lost one of the smart keys for out keyless entry 18 month old Fiesta. I reckon it's going to be expensive but should I get one from the local ford dealer or look elsewhere?

A proper vehicle locksmith would be able to do that for you, they carry all the keys and can reprogramme. When I lost one of the keys for my car (not a smart key but still a fob), I had cover for my keys that I bought from my insurance, only cost about £30 a year, so I put a claim in, had to wait a week in case they were found and it was a proper company that came out with a genuine Jag key and he programmed it to the car.

I'd obviously never advocate this, but if you can get by with the one fob, you could take out a key cover policy and then down the line put in a claim.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #5243 on: September 15, 2020, 07:59:04 pm »
A proper vehicle locksmith would be able to do that for you, they carry all the keys and can reprogramme. When I lost one of the keys for my car (not a smart key but still a fob), I had cover for my keys that I bought from my insurance, only cost about £30 a year, so I put a claim in, had to wait a week in case they were found and it was a proper company that came out with a genuine Jag key and he programmed it to the car.

I'd obviously never advocate this, but if you can get by with the one fob, you could take out a key cover policy and then down the line put in a claim.

Cheers Rob, never thought of that in fact I may have key cover on my insurance. Thing is though I always fear if you make a claim they hike up your premium.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5244 on: September 15, 2020, 08:04:36 pm »
Cheers Rob, never thought of that in fact I may have key cover on my insurance. Thing is though I always fear if you make a claim they hike up your premium.

The key covers are a separate policy - I claimed after I lost a key when we were away for the weekend, and its not affected my car policy NCD or last insurance (went down). Usually I wouldn't bother with a key policy as normally you won't ever claim, but I've lost a set of motorbike keys (youngest swears he buried them in the garden) and almost lost my stepdads keys, so thought I'd better cover myself.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5245 on: September 15, 2020, 09:16:33 pm »
Not the i20, but I had an i30 as a temporary motor for two weeks late last year.  Decent car, as long as you're not expecting anything flash.  Had all the gear you might need and was smooth enough.  Meant to be reliable as well.  I'd definitely recommend taking one for a test drive if you just want something that'll do the basic job of getting you about without any fuss.

Yeah getting from A to B is pretty much what I want to be honest, I've never been someone to have really flash cars and I don't do a huge amount of mileage anymore. I think I'm average around 5,000 miles a year over the last 3 years in my car but think the gearbox is on the way out. It's been a really good car for me so I'm torn over whether I need to get the repairs done on this car or get a new one.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5246 on: September 16, 2020, 07:33:14 am »
Yeah getting from A to B is pretty much what I want to be honest, I've never been someone to have really flash cars and I don't do a huge amount of mileage anymore. I think I'm average around 5,000 miles a year over the last 3 years in my car but think the gearbox is on the way out. It's been a really good car for me so I'm torn over whether I need to get the repairs done on this car or get a new one.

Depends on the condition of the car as a whole really. If its solid and reliable, then you've got to weigh up do you spend £500 + fitting for a warrantied used gearbox from somewhere like Trents or £9k + your car for the i20 and then have the car spend most of its time sitting on the drive. You'll lose more money driving the i20 out of the dealers than the gearbox will cost.

https://www.trents.co.uk/car-parts/makes/popular-makes/ford/ford-fiesta/gearboxes

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5247 on: September 16, 2020, 09:27:03 am »
Thanks Rob and heah thats all in my mind, I've got an appointment with the dealer on Friday so will see what deal they offer me. I know the break pads and discs will need replacing in the next few months as well and maybe one of the rear shock absorbers so its like you said a few posts ago that when they get to a certain age things start going wrong.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5248 on: September 16, 2020, 10:08:33 am »
Thanks Rob and heah thats all in my mind, I've got an appointment with the dealer on Friday so will see what deal they offer me. I know the break pads and discs will need replacing in the next few months as well and maybe one of the rear shock absorbers so its like you said a few posts ago that when they get to a certain age things start going wrong.

A quick look on the autotrader site has dealers selling 11 to 12 plate Fiestas in the £3500 to £4500 range, so really you need aroung £2800 to 3k for yours

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5249 on: October 11, 2020, 02:30:18 pm »
New toy:

I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5250 on: October 13, 2020, 11:42:22 am »
New toy:
Looks amazing. Congrats. :wave
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5251 on: October 15, 2020, 09:56:06 pm »
Oooh lovely, what colour?
I bet you're enjoying that.

My first black car. Not normally a colour I like but it’s won me over.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 10:00:17 pm by thejbs »

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5252 on: October 16, 2020, 01:56:37 am »
After ceramic coating and window tint

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #5253 on: November 11, 2020, 08:10:49 pm »
Just shelled out a small fortune on cam belt and water pump and suspension bush that had worn away. Now what I think is the gearbox (sincerely hope I’m wrong, it’s a complicated DSG unit) is making a noise. Another hit to the house fund :-/

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #5254 on: November 19, 2020, 08:43:31 pm »
Big fuck off American truck with disgustingly low petrol mileage

although good for running the family around

just paid a king ransom for it. the staggering thing is that there is nowhere designed for the phone. the vehicle dash computer is designed to be connected by a cable to the dash, and yet they do not design somewhere to put the phone
the phone can connect by bluetooth for music and phone, but for the dash computer to work properly it has to be connected by cable. staggeringly stupid in my opinion

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5255 on: November 19, 2020, 08:49:05 pm »
A quick look on the autotrader site has dealers selling 11 to 12 plate Fiestas in the £3500 to £4500 range, so really you need aroung £2800 to 3k for yours

Ended up getting £2500 for my Fiesta in the end with Hyundai having a £2000 deposit contribution on top as well, and got them to throw in replacement tyre and alloy repair insurance for the first 3 years as well for free. Think I got a pretty good deal. It's not the best car I've ever driven, gear shifts are a bit clunky and I'm still getting used to driving a 1.2 rather than a 1.6 but it's still everything I need from a car right now :)

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5256 on: November 19, 2020, 11:05:19 pm »
Big fuck off American truck with disgustingly low petrol mileage

although good for running the family around

just paid a king ransom for it. the staggering thing is that there is nowhere designed for the phone. the vehicle dash computer is designed to be connected by a cable to the dash, and yet they do not design somewhere to put the phone
the phone can connect by bluetooth for music and phone, but for the dash computer to work properly it has to be connected by cable. staggeringly stupid in my opinion

I got the GMC big FO truck
Love it. Has the double tailgate, fantastic bit of engineering
Big V8 engine that does 17mpg but is $1.70 a gallon where
I am so I care little until the next president raises gas taxes 😂

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #5257 on: November 20, 2020, 08:09:04 pm »
I got the GMC big FO truck
Love it. Has the double tailgate, fantastic bit of engineering
Big V8 engine that does 17mpg but is $1.70 a gallon where
I am so I care little until the next president raises gas taxes 😂

I saw that double tail gate design and it looks really smart. Mine has a button that lowers it and it is pretty easy to put up and doesnt weigh 150 pounds like the last one. I am sadly really pissed off though every time I get in as although the mechanical side of things is great, there is still nowhere to put your phone other than a space on the movable arm rest. However apple airplay needs to be connected using the wire for that to work, which means you cant easily put your your phone there when it is wired up. So now I am looking for an after market phone holder which I will probably have to screw into the dashboard. It just seems so ridiculous that the dash board is fucking massive and yet they cant design a little holder or place you leave the phone. The computer screen is designed for the connection to the phone and yet they just totally overlooked it.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5258 on: November 21, 2020, 02:11:39 pm »
I really hope none of you bought this:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1329538400387534849

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5259 on: November 21, 2020, 03:14:28 pm »
I saw that double tail gate design and it looks really smart. Mine has a button that lowers it and it is pretty easy to put up and doesnt weigh 150 pounds like the last one. I am sadly really pissed off though every time I get in as although the mechanical side of things is great, there is still nowhere to put your phone other than a space on the movable arm rest. However apple airplay needs to be connected using the wire for that to work, which means you cant easily put your your phone there when it is wired up. So now I am looking for an after market phone holder which I will probably have to screw into the dashboard. It just seems so ridiculous that the dash board is fucking massive and yet they cant design a little holder or place you leave the phone. The computer screen is designed for the connection to the phone and yet they just totally overlooked it.

The GMC has a wireless charging area where obviously the iPhone sits
Had the F150 before with the eco boost engine. This feels a lot heavier and more like a truck due to the big FO V8. However here in Texas you have to have a truck, boots it and a couple of Glocks 😂

Love driving the truck, laid back and they are great for traveling in
I got the SLT with all the safety features inc 4x4 etc
The wife uses it all the time, loves it. I hardly ever get to drive it

Offline B.A. Baracus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5260 on: November 22, 2020, 08:04:14 am »

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5261 on: December 4, 2020, 04:48:03 pm »
Just bought a 2005 Volvo 260 2.5T

...and it got stolen last night.  :'(

Battery was flat so I charged it and left it running outside my house...unlocked...it was gone in about 10 minutes. Was probably only worth 3-4k but I loved that car, and it will cost a hell of a lot more to replace it with something reliable. No theft insurance on it because it was so old. We barely drove it (hence the flat battery) so any replacement is just going to feel like throwing money away

Feeling a lot of self-loathing, self-pity,  general miserable-ness right now
« Last Edit: December 4, 2020, 04:49:35 pm by Mumm-Ra »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5262 on: December 4, 2020, 08:59:15 pm »

Battery was flat so I charged it and left it running outside my house...unlocked...it was gone in about 10 minutes. Was probably only worth 3-4k but I loved that car, and it will cost a hell of a lot more to replace it with something reliable. No theft insurance on it because it was so old. We barely drove it (hence the flat battery) so any replacement is just going to feel like throwing money away

Sorry to hear about that mate, but there ye go living in Chicago, that wouldn't happen in Liverpool.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5263 on: December 4, 2020, 09:01:02 pm »
Ya idiot.

But live and learn mate. Don’t dwell too much on it, we all do stupid shit and at the end of the day it’s only a car and you’re safe so that’s what matters.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5264 on: December 4, 2020, 09:14:37 pm »

:'(

Sorry to hear that. I'd be absolutely gutted.

I don't think insurance would pay out anyway under those circumstances. Similar happens regularly here in the UK. Especially in winter when people start their engine and leave it running to warm up and clear the windows of frost, but go indoors for a few minutes and leave it unattended. It's a very easy mistake to make.

Hopefully you manage to get it back.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5265 on: December 4, 2020, 09:17:27 pm »
:'(

Sorry to hear that. I'd be absolutely gutted.

I don't think insurance would pay out anyway under those circumstances. Similar happens regularly here in the UK. Especially in winter when people start their engine and leave it running to warm up and clear the windows of frost, but go indoors for a few minutes and leave it unattended. It's a very easy mistake to make.

Hopefully you manage to get it back.

Yeah but you don’t fucking tell them that  ;D you say they must have nicked your keys / hot wired it.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5266 on: December 4, 2020, 09:52:47 pm »
Yeah but you don’t fucking tell them that  ;D you say they must have nicked your keys / hot wired it.

I'm too innocent to have thought of that.  ;D
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5267 on: December 5, 2020, 05:06:32 am »

fishing rod through the letterbox

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5268 on: December 5, 2020, 01:38:31 pm »
fishing rod through the letterbox
A hook on a cane used to be a common way of lifting keys through letter boxes.

When I worked in client's homes I was forever telling them not to leave their car and house keys on tables by the front door. Especially those with nice cars on the drive in nice areas that these sharks like to case.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5269 on: December 5, 2020, 07:32:05 pm »
A hook on a cane used to be a common way of lifting keys through letter boxes.

When I worked in client's homes I was forever telling them not to leave their car and house keys on tables by the front door. Especially those with nice cars on the drive in nice areas that these sharks like to case.

Car designers then made it easier with the stupid keyless entry - now all you need to do is intercept the signal from the key and bye bye car

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5270 on: December 5, 2020, 07:54:56 pm »
Car designers then made it easier with the stupid keyless entry - now all you need to do is intercept the signal from the key and bye bye car
Yep.

Funny enough, I'm looking at a car now that has keyless entry. If I kept the key in one of those little faraday bags until I get right up to the door, would this mean the signal is safe?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5271 on: December 6, 2020, 08:19:32 am »
Yep.

Funny enough, I'm looking at a car now that has keyless entry. If I kept the key in one of those little faraday bags until I get right up to the door, would this mean the signal is safe?

Yes that's what you need. The car and the key are constantly trying to contact each other and they just stand near your door and pick up this signal, so all you need to do is block the signal from the key.

If it's an S-Max though no need to bother as it only takes 12 seconds from breaking into the car to reprogramme the ignition to a new key anyway
« Last Edit: December 6, 2020, 08:21:13 am by Who'd rob a truck worth €19.66? Cheap Xmas scrooge! »

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5272 on: December 6, 2020, 02:14:17 pm »
Yes that's what you need. The car and the key are constantly trying to contact each other and they just stand near your door and pick up this signal, so all you need to do is block the signal from the key.

If it's an S-Max though no need to bother as it only takes 12 seconds from breaking into the car to reprogramme the ignition to a new key anyway
Thanks Rob. I'll get a Faraday bag when I finally buy the car. The model I'm looking for all come with keyless entry and ignition, so better safe than sorry, eh.

It's not an S-Max. 😊

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5273 on: December 6, 2020, 05:08:39 pm »
Thanks Rob. I'll get a Faraday bag when I finally buy the car. The model I'm looking for all come with keyless entry and ignition, so better safe than sorry, eh.

It's not an S-Max. 😊

Worth investing in one of these too, I bought one in 2000, as I was doing some Microsoft courses just off the Quays near Ordsall and cars were always getting robbed from the carpark, a few students had lost theirs and I had a Cavalier SRi, which I knew would be a target. Didn't fancy trying to get there and back from Southport without a car.

I've still got the lock, but its too small for the wheel on my car.  :'(

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5274 on: December 6, 2020, 05:31:15 pm »
Worth investing in one of these too, I bought one in 2000, as I was doing some Microsoft courses just off the Quays near Ordsall and cars were always getting robbed from the carpark, a few students had lost theirs and I had a Cavalier SRi, which I knew would be a target. Didn't fancy trying to get there and back from Southport without a car.

I've still got the lock, but its too small for the wheel on my car.  :'(

Yep, they're a good idea. I've been using a Stoplock Pro for years, but for a decent car I might upgrade to one of those. I was going to put a Thatcham Cat1 alarm on too, if it doesn't already have one. I know they don't as standard.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #5275 on: December 8, 2020, 05:21:40 pm »

sheesh, sorry mate

Its a fuck off that in just a few minutes the intersection of you leaving it unlocked and running and some scum bag walking past it just happened

that really eats it

Offline joe buck

• Kopite
  • La La La La La Goose Goose Goose Goose.
« Reply #5276 on: December 8, 2020, 07:12:13 pm »
A clitoris car ice white.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5277 on: December 8, 2020, 07:49:32 pm »
That’ll take some licking
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5278 on: December 8, 2020, 07:51:15 pm »

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5279 on: December 8, 2020, 10:11:40 pm »
sheesh, sorry mate

Its a fuck off that in just a few minutes the intersection of you leaving it unlocked and running and some scum bag walking past it just happened

that really eats it

Well I appreciate your kind words Andy and maybe - just maybe - your positive energy, that wasn't tainted by the victim-blaming of some other posts in here  ;) had some kind of butterfly effect because....

IT'S BACK BABY

Police called, their surveillance cameras have plate recognition software and spotted it as stolen, parked up on the west side in the scariest neighborhood I've ever seen. Just got her back home and will be taking her for an aggressive interior bleaching.

God is Great, REFUND THE POLICE, and I'm cracking a cold one right now. I'll never take her for granted again