PoetryInMotion
7 (26.9%)
Betty Blue
7 (26.9%)
JSteve
6 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: April 12, 2019, 09:14:42 am

Author Topic: The Decisions, Decisions Draft - Derby Day Edition - Semi Finals  (Read 1057 times)

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Welcome to RAWK's Derby Day draft. Each drafter was tasked with building a team in their own image by picking their choice of players to have played in some of football's most fiercely contested derby matches.

Please judge the following matches on which team you believe would be best equipped to win over a 90 minute game of football, rather than on individuals -

____________________________________________Game 1________________________________________________

Tubby                                                             V                                                PoetryInMotion

____________________________________________Game 2________________________________________________

Betty Blue                                                       V                                                         JSteve

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: The Decisions, Decisions Draft - Derby Day Edition - Semi Finals
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 02:23:27 pm »
Well this is going pretty badly.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 02:27:37 pm »
Hardest match I have ever had to choose from --- -Betty & JSteve.   Both are absolutely a juggernaut (would love to see this one go to pens)

Ended up going with Betts --- as I prefer the mobility of Romario and Suarez up top just barely (my favorite player of all time is Dalglish by a mile but Torres is in the Coutinho camp for me -- love him while he was here but once he left he becomes someone who draws my ire).

I like the back four of JSteve and the midfield for me is dead even.  Either way, its a beautiful match up.

In the other semi, very close as well.  Like Facchetti, Passarella and Zico -- and Southall was the kicker in the end (going with Yashin).

Good luck to all, this was difficult.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:16:49 pm »
Tough match up here as expected. If I'm going to go out it may as well be at the hands of my old friend Zidane!

Just my two cents. I think JSteve and I are fairly evenly matched in midfield and attack. But where his team falls short IMO is on the left side of his defence. Mihajlovic was a very good defender, but not an elite one. While Branco was quite hit and miss throughout his career really. I'd fancy Suarez, Matthaus & Dani Alves to cause absolute havoc on that side of the pitch. I also think my midfield has a bit more going forward with Socrates (roughly 1 in 3 over his career), Matthaus (161 goals vs Vieira's 45), and Gullit (175 vs Zidane's 95) all huge goal threats.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 09:23:51 pm »
Bump.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 09:09:42 am »
Yet another set of very very tight games. That has been the case for most games throughout this draft
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 09:59:36 am »
Well done, Poetry.  Think I really stuggled with not having obvious choices of players to pick up from other teams.  I would've liked to have replaced Jarni or Davids but the cards just didn't fall that way.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 11:07:16 am »
Well done, Poetry.  Think I really stuggled with not having obvious choices of players to pick up from other teams.  I would've liked to have replaced Jarni or Davids but the cards just didn't fall that way.

Yeah, loads of luck with steals really. That's why it's nice to do them occasionally, but not always.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 11:59:49 am »

Thanks, mate. It's been really tight. I really liked your attack & even thought your midfield was solid, but it just didn't feel like your defense could hold consistently against my front 3. It was really tight overall.

Actually, I understand what you feel with the steals. In fact I didn't get my 1st 2 choices in my 1st steal, so the draft rules need us to be really flexible on the positions we can upgrade. And the Derby theme with picking just one player from a club has made it really interesting.

Cheers, mate.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 01:16:07 pm »
Good match ups, extremely close