Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 835589 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #3760 on: November 24, 2020, 02:01:08 pm »
That woolton one is gorgeous.

Offline BJ

• IT'S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3761 on: November 24, 2020, 02:20:46 pm »
Thanks L12 for the walk down memory lane. Can’t beat a bit of nostalgia every now and again. 

I think it’s a shame when you look at the beautiful old picture house they pulled down and what they put up in it’s place.  I can’t believe the old one only stood for 40 years and the ‘new’ one has been there for 47 years !!  It’s one reason why I don’t want us to ever leave Anfield. You can never replicate,  encapsulate or replace the spirit of the place.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3762 on: November 24, 2020, 10:50:03 pm »
I remember a Tesco on the corner of Green Lane, it’s a Chinese restaurant now I think. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:22:36 pm by John C »

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #3763 on: November 24, 2020, 11:36:32 pm »
Loving all of those 1980 Allerton road pictures. I would have been up and down there all the time then. I remember Olympic Records and the chocolate box, but was Clooks a cafe as well a sweetshop?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:38:03 pm by moondog »

Offline BJ

• IT'S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3764 on: November 25, 2020, 11:58:42 am »
Loving all of those 1980 Allerton road pictures. I would have been up and down there all the time then. I remember Olympic Records and the chocolate box, but was Clooks a cafe as well a sweetshop?
Clooks was a cake shop mate. I don’t remember it being a cafe but I don’t remember going in there either.  The shop sign was pale green.

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #3765 on: November 25, 2020, 11:15:53 pm »
Clooks was a cake shop mate. I don’t remember it being a cafe but I don’t remember going in there either.  The shop sign was pale green.

Such great independent businesses all over the place even just 40 years ago. Makes me want to photograph the few out there now.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3766 on: November 26, 2020, 02:02:20 am »

What was Mick Jagger doing on Allerton Road?

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3767 on: November 26, 2020, 01:03:39 pm »
Great pictures, I'm from the area and it's so interesting to see how it used to look.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3768 on: November 26, 2020, 07:02:36 pm »
Great pictures, I'm from the area and it's so interesting to see how it used to look.
Got some good Rose Lane pics that you'd like mate.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3769 on: November 26, 2020, 09:53:21 pm »
What was Mick Jagger doing on Allerton Road?
Perhaps he saw a red door and had some kind of decorating impulse........?

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #3770 on: November 26, 2020, 11:25:17 pm »
by the look of the poster behind him I'd say he was 'Cheese to meet you'.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3771 on: November 27, 2020, 08:28:39 am »
by the look of the poster behind him I'd say he was 'Cheese to meet you'.
By the looks of it, the cheese is unidentifiable, so is it saying to Mick, "Hope you guess my name"?

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3772 on: November 30, 2020, 10:29:45 am »

Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3773 on: December 5, 2020, 10:05:46 am »
From old Angelcake on Twitter

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3774 on: December 6, 2020, 04:14:56 pm »
Nice photo, but it would give it some context if you could provide detail - if there is any.

Date. Where it is.  What it is.

I'm not on twitter.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3775 on: December 6, 2020, 07:10:40 pm »
            ^^^

Described as: 151 Dale street in 1930 - with Chorley Court at left and Fontenoy street at right.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2020, 09:45:49 pm by Tsar Kastik »

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #3776 on: December 9, 2020, 08:50:58 am »
Size of the pub on the corner !!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3777 on: December 12, 2020, 05:17:28 pm »
The shops, Ravenscroft, Tower Hill, 1980's. The one just behind the crane was a Fine Fare in the 70's, my Ma used to work in there. We used to play on the steps and in the old top floor of the shops, I once got a big piece of glass through the sole of my foot while getting legged by the fella from he Chinese chippy.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3778 on: December 15, 2020, 06:44:14 pm »
The Echo could do worse than bring back their Stop The Rot campaign.  If anything it gives new eyes to some of the missed buildings in terms of renovation.  Wellington Rooms must be at a really low condition now, sadly.  Just saw some pics of inside Woolton Hall too, which needs some love also.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3779 on: December 15, 2020, 07:29:17 pm »
Agreed, they should bring back stop the rot, but surely the landscape has changed. (No pun intended)

Getting any government grants, or even local authority money, would almost be impossible in the current climate.

That doesn't mean do nothing. We can always do more.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3780 on: December 16, 2020, 05:44:30 am »
The shops, Ravenscroft, Tower Hill, 1980's. The one just behind the crane was a Fine Fare in the 70's, my Ma used to work in there. We used to play on the steps and in the old top floor of the shops, I once got a big piece of glass through the sole of my foot while getting legged by the fella from he Chinese chippy.

I remember that place from when we used to visit my cousin who lived there before she moved to skem, looks pretty grim in the pic but back then it was normal, just how it was.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3781 on: December 16, 2020, 09:54:39 am »
I remember that place from when we used to visit my cousin who lived there before she moved to skem, looks pretty grim in the pic but back then it was normal, just how it was.

I've said to the wife, we grew up with that so didn't know any different. I still lived on Tower Hill when this work was being done, I remember walking past and seeing them taking the steps down.

My Ma met a fella from Southport not long after and we all moved out there, culture shock to see how others lived and that burglaries, graffiti, wrecked shops and burnt out cars wasn't the norm.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3782 on: December 21, 2020, 11:33:42 am »
Seeing those photos of Allerton Road has brought memories flooding back.

As kids we went to the Saturday matinee of mayhem. It was always a close cut thing to get out of the cinema at the end before the kids from Under the Bridge in Garston robbed your bus fare. Don't why we worried because we'd already spent it and would happily run home down Mather Avenue .

The first 'grown up' film I saw there was the 1960 version of the Time Machine starring the square jawed Rod Taylor. For some reason my mum took me and I don't know what she made of the green skinned Morlocks but they scared the shit out of the eight year old me.

Couple of years ater it was off to the flicks with my mates to see the likes of 'Jason and the Argonauts' and 'Zulu'. On one memorable occasion my mates' dad took a gang of us in to see 'Goldfinger' because it was an A. The sight of Shirley Eaton's gold plated arse started an interest in girls in a gang of 11 year olds - unlike today naked female flesh was rarely seen outside of museums and the occasional glimpse in a discarded Men's Magazine.

Few years later we went pretty much every Sunday night. The adverts were a mix of national and local and one of the ads featured the 'Toy Centre' just over the Road from the Odeon. Unwisely the film maker had decided to include one of the staff, a young girl we all knew, and every time her face came on screen she was hooted and abused, terrible I know but the 14/15 girls were much worse than the lads. Saw 'The Graduate', 'Butch Cassidy', 'Bonnie and Clyde' to name a few.

In 1967 during the Summer of Love and at the end of the disappointing 1966/67 season (my carefully hand painted banner was seized at Burnley by Lancashire Constabulary) I took my first serious girl friend for a 'Business Man's Lunch' (for the younger members a cut price meal not a sexual innuendo) at a Chinese Restaurant near the junction with Queens Drive. I had to get an advance on my paper round money from my mum to pay for it. She ditched me in acutely embarrassing circumstances a fortnight later.

Another memory of that time was that WH Smith foolishly had all the singles out on display which was a field day for the local scallies (when they weren't robbing scooters) to nip in and take their pick.

There was a mention of Rose Lane earlier. I seem to recall a cafe in Rose Lane which seemed t attract the Mod/Scooter crowd? I never summoned up the courage to go there despite spending ages in my check hipsters and polo shirt easing my hair into a pretty good resemblance of Steve Marriott.

Keep those photos coming - they are a beacon of light during the current shitstorm.

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3783 on: December 21, 2020, 07:08:08 pm »
Why not?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3784 on: December 21, 2020, 07:45:30 pm »
Superb L12.
I've got one of BR Ayers on Rose Lane if anyone is interested.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3785 on: December 22, 2020, 10:50:14 am »
More great photos L12.

The Golden Park was the scene of my first official date and I recall Hargreaves supermarket, which was large for it's time, having an extensive and mysterious kosher section to cater for the large Jewish community in the area.

The first house I owned in the 1980s was a terrace in the area and I often visited the Oddbins, which I think is still open and must be one of the last ones standing.

Keep up the good work posting these photos.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3786 on: December 25, 2020, 10:57:25 am »
Two pics from 'Angies Liverpool was', on Twitter,

1st one is a well known view, but I haven't seen this particular one before from 50s/60s [Gulley would have known]

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3787 on: December 25, 2020, 11:11:28 am »
2nd one is brand new to me; a view from inside the arches that are shown in the 1st pic.

Queens Arcade, c1934
https://twitter.com/angiesliverpool/status/1342062060369293312

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3788 on: December 26, 2020, 07:40:56 pm »

Bandit Country!! Wrong side of Bank Lane for me. Did you ever go over to the 'adventure' playground near Mill dam? The slide was lethal for getting splinters, so much for it being 'safe' for kids.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3789 on: December 29, 2020, 07:24:00 pm »
Bandit Country!! Wrong side of Bank Lane for me. Did you ever go over to the 'adventure' playground near Mill dam? The slide was lethal for getting splinters, so much for it being 'safe' for kids.

Yeah we did used to go over the lecky side occasionally, don't remember ever going on the slide though, mainly just hung around near the pond or went to St Chads. used to take my air rifle up to Pagsy too and try and find rats to shoot.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3791 on: January 13, 2021, 03:33:02 pm »
A few of Lark Lane..

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3792 on: January 13, 2021, 03:40:54 pm »
Lark Lane looked a lot better before the Council carried out its 'improvements'.

Wallers, one of the long lost tribe of departed bakers and confectioners.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3793 on: January 13, 2021, 04:16:33 pm »
From AC.

Cousins..another for you SHP.

Durning road 1970..

1987 Byrom st.  :o

1969..look how much it's improved!  :o

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3794 on: January 13, 2021, 06:35:17 pm »
I'm helping my youngest with a project on WW2 and we are doing the Liverpool Blitz and found this interesting fact.

The picture above is an aerial view of Upper Stanhope Street which is this street ^ in the 1930's. The picture was taken looking away from the river, Upper Parli is on the extreme left and Princes Road cuts bottom left to mid upper right, running past the synagogue, which is right of centre. The street running across the bottom of the picture that bisects Upper Stanhope is Berkley Street. In the bottom right corner of the cross roads of Upper Stanhope/Berkley is No102 Upper Stanhope. This house was destroyed on 10th January 1942, in the last Luftwaffe Air Raid on the City and was never rebuilt,Emerson Street now stands in the spot.

From about 1911, the residents of this house were Bridget and Alois Hitler and their Liverpool born son Patrick William, Adolfs half brother and nephew. Bridget stated in her memoirs that Adolf Hitler lived with them from November 1912 to April 1913.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:51:18 pm by rob1966 »

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3795 on: January 13, 2021, 08:30:09 pm »

I spent a couple of years as a student living on Park Way, which is the top street running horizontally in that pic (was the middle block of those three - the left hand block isn't there any more, the furthest left on our block was a ruin I had to rescue my cat from more than once) There's a school there now so the street no longer runs all the way to Parliament Street.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3796 on: January 17, 2021, 12:41:43 pm »
Would have been amazing..

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3797 on: January 17, 2021, 12:47:07 pm »
What we used to call Bombdies, reminds me of my youth a bit this does..
Anyone else play king brick?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3798 on: January 17, 2021, 01:38:42 pm »
What we used to call Bombdies, reminds me of my youth a bit this does..
Anyone else play king brick?

King brick? Not sure.

We used to use half bricks to play trams in the flattened bomb sites making convulted tram tracks, whilst stimulating our immune systems with all the bugs living happily in the environs.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3799 on: January 17, 2021, 02:13:33 pm »
King brick? Not sure.

We used to use half bricks to play trams in the flattened bomb sites making convulted tram tracks, whilst stimulating our immune systems with all the bugs living happily in the environs.

King brick was a game we played when the houses were being knocked down.
Full 'ordinary common' bricks only were used, you chose your brick & took turns to whack your opponents brick laid on the floor. When a brick was less than 3/4 size it was out.
Winner went first..sometimes you'd get a King Brick which went strong to about 30, was great if you knew someone who needed any hardcore.
Not so good looking back at the carnage we dealt to good bricks..kids & their boredom eh.