Author Topic: What games are you playing at the moment?  (Read 210382 times)

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
Re: What games are you playing at the moment?
« Reply #2240 on: January 21, 2022, 05:53:49 pm »
What's  Mass Effect Andromeda like? Anyone played it?
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #2241 on: January 21, 2022, 07:13:21 pm »
I just finished ME1 for the first time finally. It was OK, but it feels dated (unsurprisingly given how old it is despite the remaster) and to be honest I got bored of doing side quests and found myself just wanting to finish the main story so I could move on to ME2. I find Shephard to be a really dull character it was hard to identify with.

the male voiceover is wooden as fuck as well, but to be fair to him he improved a lot in 2 and 3.

What's  Mass Effect Andromeda like? Anyone played it?

it's alright. that's about it.

I mean it's not bad, but it's not great.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2242 on: January 21, 2022, 07:32:48 pm »
Sometimes games are best left in the past with the fond memories. Some age better than others.

I did give ME LE a go but one thing that struck me was I'm no longer blown away by interacting with everyone and the dialogue options. Thats just me though. Aside from that the controls don't feel very intuitive, like just swapping weapons and using abilities, maybe me again.

Lastly there's many instances where there is no atmosphere, I think it just serves as a reminder how far games have come in that regard.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #2243 on: January 22, 2022, 03:14:43 am »
Borderlands 2, Fallout 4, Surviving mars.

One of them is fun, one addiction, and surviving mars doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2244 on: January 22, 2022, 11:23:58 pm »
www.torn.com

Text/browser crime game, been on it for years.  Massive time sink, sign up using the link and get to level 10, I'll send over millions and other gear/weapons.   :wave

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2245 on: January 23, 2022, 09:41:59 pm »
Gods of War is brilliant. Love it.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #2246 on: January 23, 2022, 10:01:03 pm »
Had a few hours on Halo Infinite multi player today. There's only about four maps and its so buggy you can hardly get a lobby of friends together, so I think I'll head back to the Master Chief collection and play Halo 3 again - the best multiplayer ever.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2247 on: January 24, 2022, 03:23:11 am »
Gods of War is brilliant. Love it.

Are you on the PC version? If so, how does it run in terms of framerate etc?

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2248 on: January 24, 2022, 09:03:17 am »
On PC. Runs great. Graphics are amazing and as for frame rate, I dont notice any lag/delay or stuttering. For me its been perfect. I am on an old 1080GTX. My mobo/ram and cpu are about 3yrs old and were good at time, but gpu is older as cant afford a new one yet.

Good game, i play it with xbox controller

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2249 on: January 24, 2022, 04:36:01 pm »
Got back into Fallout 76 nearly 3 years since I played it last and it's a completely different game now, so much has changed.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #2250 on: January 24, 2022, 05:04:55 pm »
Got back into Fallout 76 nearly 3 years since I played it last and it's a completely different game now, so much has changed.
A mate who recently downloaded it off Game Pass, having never played it before said to me it's great and had it released as it is now, it would be accepted as a high quality entry into the Fallout series.

No idea if he's talking shite like but it's obviously come a long way.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2251 on: January 24, 2022, 05:06:56 pm »
A mate who recently downloaded it off Game Pass, having never played it before said to me it's great and had it released as it is now, it would be accepted as a high quality entry into the Fallout series.

No idea if he's talking shite like but it's obviously come a long way.

There's still a few glitches I remember from before, but they've flooded the world with NPCs and associated quests, which has made a massive difference.  Plus stuff like a battle pass and loads of other little tweaks.

Fallout 4 is still easily the better game for me, but I'm quite enjoying this one now.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2252 on: January 24, 2022, 05:47:26 pm »
Downloaded Persona 5 Strikers of PS+, loved the regular Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal. The storyline in this one seems quite interesting, but the combat and gameplay so far is not grabbing me.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2253 on: January 25, 2022, 12:43:52 pm »
Still on ME1 Legendary Edition. I still love it, still think it was a great game in it's time but the Mako sections on the uncharted worlds are dire, soulless filler that takes a lot of time if you're a bit of a completionist. I've done most of them now and have wiped all assignments off the slate ahead of Virmire and then on to ME2, which I can't wait for. I can't remember ME2 nearly as well as ME1 as that's the Mass Effect I spent most time with a teenager (due to the spare time you have as a kid) when it came out.

Been playing 'A Way Out' as my girlfriend has all of a sudden taken a major interest in couch co-op games. We've completed It Takes Two which was really good to be fair and have downloaded phogs. She won't try Gears or Halo unfortunately and it was a stretch to get her to try something a touch more mature looking, but it's been enjoyable enough so far. She loved Overcooked 2 but it just stressed me out  ;D We did complete the story with 3 stars on every level though, it's a decent little game.

Hitman is downloaded for a gaming binge when my partner goes on holiday with her family in a few weeks.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2254 on: January 26, 2022, 12:43:33 am »
On PC. Runs great. Graphics are amazing and as for frame rate, I dont notice any lag/delay or stuttering. For me its been perfect. I am on an old 1080GTX. My mobo/ram and cpu are about 3yrs old and were good at time, but gpu is older as cant afford a new one yet.

Good game, i play it with xbox controller

Thanks mate. Think that I'll give it a go. Will also be usimg the xb controller. Only really use keyboard/mouse for fps games.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #2255 on: January 26, 2022, 07:24:05 am »
Digital Foundry were glowing on the GOW PC port, will pick it up after Elden Ring me thinks.
:D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2256 on: January 27, 2022, 10:06:20 pm »
Finished Mass Effect 1 and started straight on two. Brilliant open sequence and it looks fantastic to this day - not sure if it looked like this upon release, I can’t really remember, but if it didn’t, they’ve given it a far greater touch up than they gave 1 for the remaster. They were 3 years apart but on the same console yet 2 looks massively improved graphically.

The combat is hugely improved too. I’ll put some serious hours in over the weekend. What’s odd is that I can remember almost everything about the original game in the trilogy but there’s been lots of the early game so far in 2 I have absolutely no recollection of.

It’s interesting as to what constitutes a ‘big’ single player experience these days. I always felt Mass Effect was big, but it really isn’t. Compared to games like Skyrim or The Witcher, it’s a fairly concise RPG. I did all of the side missions, all of the crap survey collecting and all of the main missions and got my character as high a level as they can go in one play through, and it took just over 20 hours without feeling rushed about it. No way you could do some of the more modern RPGs in that timeframe.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2257 on: January 28, 2022, 12:44:14 am »
It’s interesting as to what constitutes a ‘big’ single player experience these days. I always felt Mass Effect was big, but it really isn’t. Compared to games like Skyrim or The Witcher, it’s a fairly concise RPG. I did all of the side missions, all of the crap survey collecting and all of the main missions and got my character as high a level as they can go in one play through, and it took just over 20 hours without feeling rushed about it. No way you could do some of the more modern RPGs in that timeframe.

It depends on how you define "big". The way I see it, Skyrim is as extensive as a lake, but also as shallow as a puddle. The Mass Effect trilogy in contrast is basically a well. It's doesn't have a lot of surface, but it goes way deeper. Take the worst side-character in ME and they are more fleshed out and play a bigger part in the whole experience than the main characters in Skyrim.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, it's just that they are completely different games. Skyrim is more about discovering the world and basically making your own story. ME is more about building up a relationship with characters in the story and your companions. There's this rebel guy in Skyrim you meet right at the beginning of the story and it feels like that experience should turn this into a kind of special relationship. Yet, when you meet him again further down the line he's basically like "Oh, you're the guy from the beginning. Great that you're here..." and that's it. That's not how the characters in ME work for me. You actually feel like they have a relationship with Shepard that starts growing as the trilogy progresses. I still remember when I was playing ME2 for the first time and I met a character (not sure if it's a spoiler, but won't know them in case someone is just playing the games for the first time) again and it actually meant something. It really felt like meeting an old friend again. Nothing in Skyrim gets close to that and ME is just full of stuff like that, whether it's meeting people you know from earlier (games) or whether it's stuff that just grips you emotionally. To me that is where they put the most work in, whereas for Skyrim they "just" built a big world and filled it with stuff to do, but a lot of it is not connected in any way. ME for me is just a great experience overall that sucks you in. That happens in Skyrim as well, but in a different way.

The Witcher 3 for me is closer to ME, because they have put kind of the same effort into the whole experience and the stories they're telling as the guys did with ME. The open world in the Witcher is kind of the same as the driving around on planets stuff in the first ME. It's there to give people something to do besides doing the story, but it's not really for me. They could easily have done that game without the open world and I would have enjoyed it equally. The big difference between ME and TW3 for me is that in ME you can kind of create your own Sheppard. With Geralt you already have a main character and he's the way he is, which is kind of a massive twat. I never really liked Geralt (even when I was playing the first Witcher game) and that's why I like ME better.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2258 on: January 28, 2022, 11:31:36 am »
Good post Stoa - I wasn't really referring to world building or even the story-driven elements of the games - it's clear to see that ME and TW3 shit on Skyrim in that way and are deeper in terms of story. I'd argue Skyrim isn't 'shallow as a puddle though,' it's a very different type of RPG and it has layers dependent on the way you play it. I've put hundreds of hours into Skyrim and Oblivion, so I can't accept they're shallow.

I was more referring into the amount of time you put into the game to basically do and see everything - I've recently done ME1 Legendary in 20 hours, doing absolutely everything one can do - all side missions, all collections, achievements and all quests. Doing it in that time makes it no less rich. Skyrim is less honed and focused a game than the others, like you say they're not directly comparable. Mass Effect is one of those experiences where even though the total time might be somewhat shorter, the experience is fantastic and deep. Looking at the early throes of Mass Effect 2, it's going to take a lot longer to fully plumb it's depths than the original game.

Out of curiosity, I googled how long it takes to 100% Mass Effect. Bioware themselves have said the story is 17 hours but it takes 40 hours to see 100% the game. Either a horrid overestimation or I cut a big chunk of time off by knowing the game so well. It can be done in half the time, so when it says ME2 takes 50 hours to 100%, I'll take that with a pinch of salt.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 11:35:14 am by Drinks Sangria »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2259 on: January 31, 2022, 12:36:02 pm »
More Mass Effect posting -

Girlfriend was out all weekend with family and working, so I did something across Saturday and Sunday that I doubt I've done in 15 years - sat there in front of the Xbox and just played pretty much none-stop, logging 17 hours on Mass Effect 2 across the two days.

Some thoughts -

Massive improvement on combat from a playability perspective from the first game, the movement and shooting is so much more fluid. They did however bodge the biotic powers somewhat, rendering them pretty useless after they'd been so fun in 1. Luckily I think this is rectified in 3.

As gaming goes, it's close a masterpiece. The combat is satisfying, the character development is terrific and if you do all of the loyalty missions and DLC and vary your squad choice, you see how much unique dialogue they all have and the absolute labour of love this game was for Bioware. The game gets criticism for it's pacing - all build up then the major missions crammed into the last act with no choice on when to complete them. I'd say this is valid in some ways. The pacing is what you make of it, you can stagger the squad's loyalty missions and do them in such a way that really creates a cohesive narrative that fits with the story well. However, if you intend on everyone surviving the suicide mission, you do have to damage the pacing of the narrative int he final act somewhat.

The story is good if you do explore the relationships with characters, but if you just bomb through the main quest it would be underwhelming, with no real set up for the sequel. Mass Effect is rich but only if you spend the time to appreciate it. Either way, I massively enjoyed it. I just got really immersed for the first time in a long time in an RPG and wanted to do everything rather than feeling obligated to.

There's some functional changes that weren't well pitched - the stripping away of certain skills and categories within your character's skill menu made the RPG elements feel far lesser and also made it feel like you had less strings to your bow and options within your squad. Similarly, as much as I liked getting upgrades for weapons and the ship, the stripping back of loot collection made the new system look less unwieldy but also just less fun. Skyrim, Fallout, Borderlands etc etc - loot is a huge part of the enjoyment so why Bioware stripped it out completely I'll never know. I can't remember if it switched back in 3.

Gone is the frustrating Mako and Bioware did something good - they focused on less uncharted worlds you could land on, but gave more variety and thought to the ones that you could - flying round in the new ship on the surface of the planet, escaping a collapsing freighter overhanging a cliff, destroying a load of aliens in a cloud of fog whilst trying to disable the element that's causing the weather. It's varied and it's not ME1's 'land on planet, scan rock, scan crashed probe, kill 8 enemies in underground base, repeat.'

The game looks amazing. It's been touched up obviously but for a 12 year old game, the character models in particular look absolutely fantastic and the lighting and mood is great. An AAA game in it's entirety.

Looking forward to starting 3 but it will probably be later in the week before I get the chance. On game lengths - I've now logged 47 hours on Legendary Edition so far, 20 on 1 and 27 on 2, so a reasonable boost in content.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #2260 on: January 31, 2022, 04:23:13 pm »
Fiiiiiiine I'll load up the ME Legendary Edition if I must.

Need something to do waiting for the Cyberpunk upgrade.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2261 on: January 31, 2022, 04:41:37 pm »

Need something to do waiting for the Cyberpunk upgrade.
I'd be interested to see what you think. I've harped on about it enough but I'll probably bob back in when 3 is done  ;D

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #2262 on: January 31, 2022, 04:50:12 pm »
I loved it the first time round. That ending was a dud and I played the extended cut as soon as it came out.

Worked my way through Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and 13 on gamepass, so need a different game before I jump back to FFX and XIII

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2263 on: January 31, 2022, 06:42:20 pm »

Hah, same.
Nice review Sangria, made me want to get back to my ME1 playthrough and onto ME2.

Girlfriend was out all weekend with family and working, so I did something across Saturday and Sunday that I doubt I've done in 15 years - sat there in front of the Xbox and just played pretty much none-stop, logging 17 hours on Mass Effect 2 across the two days.

and did you tell her this when she returned? :D
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2264 on: February 1, 2022, 11:51:28 am »
Ive never played Skyrim, is Skyrim V worth a look? I enjoyed W3 and GoW and am looking for something to while away the winter evenings until spring arrives and I can get my bikes out.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2265 on: February 1, 2022, 12:01:27 pm »
Yeah it's definitely worth playing.

It's not aged great I don't think but the open world nature of the game is still one of the best. Just the freedom to go off where you want and discover as you go is great really. Stumbling upon different communities. The combat might feel a bit shite now but it's serviceable.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2266 on: February 1, 2022, 12:02:39 pm »
Ive never played Skyrim, is Skyrim V worth a look? I enjoyed W3 and GoW and am looking for something to while away the winter evenings until spring arrives and I can get my bikes out.
Sorry, do you mean Skyrim VR or Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim? Same game but I can't speak to the VR experience, heard good stuff though. Skyrim you'll either love or hate depending on what sort of RPGs you enjoy and the level of depth you want. It's not the deepest in terms of systems etc but for lore, fun adventuring etc and player possibilities it's great and massive. One Skyrim playthrough can easily yield 50 hours+ of entertainment.

Hah, same.
Nice review Sangria, made me want to get back to my ME1 playthrough and onto ME2.

and did you tell her this when she returned? :D
Haha she asked 'have you been sat here all day' and I didn't have much of a response. I had tea on the table ready for her so she knew not to pry too much  ;D

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2267 on: February 1, 2022, 12:19:51 pm »
Thanks Guys. Not the VR version as I cant get along with VR. Just the SkyrimV, its only a tenner on steam.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2268 on: February 1, 2022, 12:20:43 pm »
Thanks Guys. Not the VR version as I cant get along with VR. Just the SkyrimV, its only a tenner on steam.
The Special Edition with all the DLC is on Game Pass if you have that?

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2269 on: February 1, 2022, 12:29:21 pm »
I dont have game pass, but its 9.99 for the game and 6.49 for all the DLC. So £16.48. Which is about 2.4 pints down here in Surrey. Or 1.5 fish suppers. I'll buy it after work tonight. Should keep me occupied for a number of hours. Thanks. :)

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #2270 on: February 2, 2022, 04:42:44 pm »
ME1 done and dusted. Although I have said its showing its age in many places, I really enjoyed the ending. Only about 30 mins into ME2 but the step up in quality is huge.
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2271 on: February 4, 2022, 10:55:07 am »
ME1 done and dusted. Although I have said its showing its age in many places, I really enjoyed the ending. Only about 30 mins into ME2 but the step up in quality is huge.
ME3 finesses the combat but isn’t all that different from 2; the movement is a lot better, but agreed, 1 to 2 is a huge improvement in the playability. For the actual combat sections, 3 is easily the best hands down and is more satisfying than a lot of dedicated 3rd person shooters. 3 also fixes 2’s biggest sin in that biotic abilities are usable and effective once more.

Due to a heavy week at work and a surprise break away this weekend, I’ve not had much time to play ME3. Next week I’ll likely commit some heavy hours to it when my partner is on nights.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2272 on: February 11, 2022, 09:11:49 am »
Managed to get going on ME3 with my partner being away for work last night. It's reinforced my hazy opinion that Mass Effect 3 is a masterpiece and gets hate purely because of the bodged story ending and not actually issues with the game, the pacing etc. The story itself is great until the final moments of what the fuckery. In the Legendary Edition, with the DLC added in, I reckon it'll be about a 60 hour game based on the course of the story, with side missions added on. That's fairly substantial and a fair bit bigger than 1 and 2.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2273 on: February 11, 2022, 09:13:33 am »
Is ME: Legendary Edition worth a dabble then mate? I've never played a single ME game.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2274 on: February 11, 2022, 09:24:34 am »
I’m at the final case of the Ace Attorney Trilogy, excellent games.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #2275 on: February 11, 2022, 09:25:04 am »
Is ME: Legendary Edition worth a dabble then mate? I've never played a single ME game.

Depends what you're into as with everything.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2276 on: February 11, 2022, 09:46:41 am »
Agreed with Voodoo Ray really mate, it all depends on what you're into generally with gaming. I'd say if you've enjoyed any of the following, you'll like Mass Effect:

KOTOR, The Outer Worlds, Fallout, The Witcher, Red Dead Redemption etc.

The issue is, having not played the first before, you'll likely be less forgiving of how clunky it can be and the tediousness of some of the side missions. Unless you're a completionist, I'd argue the best thing to do for new players is stick to the main story of Mass Effect 1, so it's a concise 12 hour or so adventure, so that you can absorb the lore, mythos and the world, then dive in deeper to ME2 and 3 where the combat and movement is substantially improved, as are the graphics and quality of life enhancements.

You'd think the first game was from a different console generation to the others, it's a vast difference. But you could argue the best story is told in the first game and no new IP has ever so effectively established a huge body of lore as Mass Effect has. If you do download it and start 1, be forgiving, it's a 15 year old game, and be something like a Vanguard or Adept, that has access to biotics (space magic) because that keeps the gameplay more fun. Vanguard is my favourite as they're a tanky soldier with magic powers.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2277 on: February 11, 2022, 10:19:38 am »
Agreed with Voodoo Ray really mate, it all depends on what you're into generally with gaming. I'd say if you've enjoyed any of the following, you'll like Mass Effect:

KOTOR, The Outer Worlds, Fallout, The Witcher, Red Dead Redemption etc.

The issue is, having not played the first before, you'll likely be less forgiving of how clunky it can be and the tediousness of some of the side missions. Unless you're a completionist, I'd argue the best thing to do for new players is stick to the main story of Mass Effect 1, so it's a concise 12 hour or so adventure, so that you can absorb the lore, mythos and the world, then dive in deeper to ME2 and 3 where the combat and movement is substantially improved, as are the graphics and quality of life enhancements.

You'd think the first game was from a different console generation to the others, it's a vast difference. But you could argue the best story is told in the first game and no new IP has ever so effectively established a huge body of lore as Mass Effect has. If you do download it and start 1, be forgiving, it's a 15 year old game, and be something like a Vanguard or Adept, that has access to biotics (space magic) because that keeps the gameplay more fun. Vanguard is my favourite as they're a tanky soldier with magic powers.

Nice one mate, I will give it a go once I've cleared the backlog.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2278 on: February 11, 2022, 10:20:28 am »
Rocket League again, I'm not great on it but its so fun & is just a game you can hop on for 20 mins for.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2279 on: February 11, 2022, 10:22:58 am »
They ruined Rocket League for me, when they decided to make the ice hockey variant competitive only... Can't be arsed with that, when I just want to casually play with others who aren't a million times better than me...