Author Topic: Thank you Carra!  (Read 55785 times)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Thank you Carra!
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 12:35:49 pm »
737 games is a ridiculous achievement. What a player he was at his best, and what an achievement to spend your whole career at Liverpool FC.

The fact he's played more than anyone other than Callaghan is phenomenal.

Will never forget that coin throwing incident against Arsenal either, managing to hit every person in the stand with one throw...

And that's why he retires from football. The Red Sox want him as a pitcher for next season.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 12:35:50 pm »
A genuine legend.

Irreplaceable.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:01 pm »
Does anyone know how many games Gerrard and Carragher played together? Must be up there with any pair?

Football
Hide-o
Kick the can
Spin the bottle
C.H.I.P.S
Cluedo
Knuckles
3 and in
60 seconds
Kabaddi
Subbutteo
Lar-leo
Monopoly
War
Thunder and Lightin
Hand fanny

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 12:47:12 pm »
neil johnston ‏@ndjohnston 2m
Jamie Carragher press conference. Q: "How emotional will your last appearance be on Sunday? A: "Put it this way, I won't be crying." #lfc
 Retweeted by Tony Barrett
Expand   Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 1m
Carragher asked if he's got any plans away from football, golf, scuba diving, whatever. He replies: "A bit nosey this fella isn't he."
Collapse   Reply  Retweet  Favorite   More

Some press conference quotes from twitter. Carra doesn't fuck about!

Offline Shite Name

• With a post history to match it.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 12:47:14 pm »
I'm gonna miss hearing him screaming at our players telling them where to be on the pitch, true legend of our club, thanks for every minute you've given us Carra YNWA.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 12:50:21 pm »
I'm gonna miss hearing him screaming at our players telling them where to be on the pitch, true legend of our club, thanks for every minute you've given us Carra YNWA.
Fuck the noise - just think about how much space will be left in the RAWK databank/stock room/tuck shop, when he leaves. Who will we have left to moan about?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Swift417

• Boys Pen
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 01:01:39 pm »

Football
Hide-o
Kick the can
Spin the bottle
C.H.I.P.S
Cluedo
Knuckles
3 and in
60 seconds
Kabaddi
Subbutteo
Lar-leo
Monopoly
War
Thunder and Lightin
Hand fanny

;D

Offline exilescouse

• Lack sufficient letters for real testicles.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 01:10:50 pm »
I hope the rest of the team hang back on Sunday and let him run out alone.  ;D

Offline bobbyjames

• Anny Roader
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »
Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 1m
Carragher asked if he's got any plans away from football, golf, scuba diving, whatever. He replies: "A bit nosey this fella isn't he."

:lmao

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 03:21:38 pm »
Before his final Liverpool appearance this Sunday, defender Jamie Carragher answered questions from reporters gathered at Melwood today.

One game to go, how are you feeling about retirement now?

People keep asking me, the answer will come after the game. We just want to concentrate on the game; I'm looking forward to getting my tickets sorted and hopefully get a win, then I can look back and give you a better answer.

Have you, at any time, reconsidered retirement or has Brendan asked you to reconsider?

No, not really. We've had a couple of chats about different things over the season, not just since I made my decision. The more I've been in the team, the more I've wanted to stick with my decision and go out playing. I've been quite fortunate really that at the time that I announced it, I kept myself in the side. I can go out playing, which is something I'd prefer rather than maybe stay another year and be in the stand, on the bench or wherever it may be.

What will be the best memory of your Liverpool career?

Istanbul, nothing will beat that - the Champions League final. There's no point going over the game, I think we all know what happened that night. It's difficult to ever top that.

What was it like, that feeling, to lift the European Cup?

We've never won the league, which is a disappointment; if we'd have won that maybe I could have compared the two. We've won FA Cups, Carling Cups, the UEFA Cup but nothing compared to the Champions League. It's the biggest and best trophy that you can win as a footballer in club football. It's what we achieved.

Given the step you're taking after your football career, does it rule out management or is that something you're still looking at in the future?

I've never ruled anything out or in. I've gone down this road for a couple of years, I'll see if I enjoy it or if I'm any good at it, and see where it takes me. I've been playing football all my life and I'm looking forward to doing different things, and seeing where it takes me.

How emotional are you going to be at the weekend?

I won't be crying, put it that way!

Are you somebody who might have a 'Wish I could have...' when you retire?

I wish I'd have won the league. But you've given it everything and done as much as you can in terms of what you put into it. It's a team game; there are different managers and coaches who have helped you along the way, you do your best. I've done alright.

You've been part of a close-knit family for all of those years - that's a big part of your life that's suddenly going to change...

People automatically think of Anfield, I think of this place [Melwood]. This is where you come every day, this is where I've been coming since I was nine years of age. Anfield is sort of the icing on the cake where you go at the end of the week or every couple of weeks. It's special but this is where you come every day, the people you see; the people on the gate, the girls upstairs in the canteen, Ann on reception who is the only one who has been here longer than me - she's just pipped me. It's probably coming here and the characters and people you meet every day. You'll have to fill that void in your life.

Will the door still be open for you? Do you plan on coming back?

Ask Brendan on Friday, he's the boss. Once you're done, you're done. I'm sure I'll be welcome to come in for my lunch one day and watch training, but I don't think it's something I'll be doing.

When did you first realise it was time to go?

About 12 months ago, the end of the season. I was in and out of the side with Kenny. I was thinking about it in the summer but I had a year to go and a new manager coming in. I knew then it was always going to be my last season.

Going back to your debut, would have you taken then what you have achieved?

If someone had offered me to be here until the end of my career - the trophies, the big games we've played and won, the stadiums I've played in - I'd have bitten their hand off for that. I'm very lucky to have played with some great players, top managers and given the opportunity to experience those wins and sometimes losses. I've very lucky.

You mentioned the league title...why did Liverpool fall short?

Very simple - we weren't good enough, all of us. There's no fancy reason or excuse, other teams in that particular season were better than us. A couple of times we went close but it was Manchester United or Arsenal. It's not something I lose sleep over, I've been very lucky to achieve some of the things I have. If you look at everyone, there's always something someone hasn't done. There's always more to achieve, whatever you've done. I'm pleased with how it's gone.

You and Steven Gerrard always seem to be together - are there any concerns about Liverpool not having that local heartbeat in the team when you've gone?

I'm probably more concerned about who he's going to sit next to on the coach on the way home. I had that problem at the weekend coming back from Fulham when he wasn't there. I was on my own! Every club will say they want to bring players through from the Academy, that's why you have academies and put so much time and money into it. But the players have got to be good enough. If they're good enough, brilliant - get them in there. It's always good to have a few local lads in the side. That's the aim of everyone.

Now that Alex Ferguson has retired at Manchester United, does it give everyone else an opportunity?

I think it does a little bit more, he's obviously been a top manager - his record is there for all to see. They've got another top manager in David Moyes, I'm sure he'll do a great job there. I'm sure everyone is looking at it and seeing how it will go; maybe it will give other people a chance to get in there if there is maybe a bit of uncertainty at the club. But Manchester United are probably aware of that as well so I'm sure they'll be doing everything to stop that.

In terms of the Liverpool you're leaving, are you excited about the future of the club?

I am, I'm always positive about the club. The last few years haven't been great for us, with league positions and missing out on the Champions League. But with the new manager coming in and the run we've been on in the second half of the season, it gives us a lot to look forward to for next season.

How would a 'team of Carraghers' cope in the Premier League?

A lot of 0-0s!

Paul Scholes came back from retirement after half a year - can you see something similar for yourself?

No, I don't think so. The manager has known for a while that I'm retiring, so I'm sure he's got plans in place and different players that he wants to bring in, ideas of what he wants to do.

How did if feel physically when you were suffering cramp in Istanbul?

Not good! It was just one of those things, you've got to play on. Plenty of players have been in that situation and done the same - mine's highlighted because of the magnitude of the game and everyone was watching. I'm not the only player who has had cramp in football and carried on - there are plenty of other players who have done that. It was just part of the game, that's what made it so special. There were lots of different incidents and things going on, I'm just glad to have been part of it.

Who were the players who were inspirational for you during your time here?

When I first got into the side, I'd say John Barnes, he was the captain and a great player - one of the top players to ever play for the club. As I came into the side a bit more I'd say Steven Gerrard, even though he's younger than me. He's an inspiration, not just for younger players. It doesn't matter if it's a younger player or an older player. You watch the way he plays, what he's done for us and how he's won us a few trophies - he's added to my medal collection! I'd say those two.

Defensively, who have you learnt most from?

The best centre-back I played alongside was Sami Hyypia, I thought he was a great player for the club. We've had lots of players but it could also be a coach; we had Phil Thompson here, Benitez was brilliant at setting up defences. He brought my game on a lot in terms of playing at centre-back because that was his expertise - making a team solid. It's difficult to pick one person, I've had a lot of help from a lot of different people.

How did you feel when your position was under pressure?

It gives you motivation, football is a fight really whether it's opposition or sometimes it can be within your own dressing room in terms of getting a place. We're all mates, we're a big squad but when the team goes up, there's only one name that you look for. It's added motivation but if it hadn't have happened I'd have still motivated myself some other way. I've always been that type of lad. It pushed me on and made me a better player.

Have your recent performances made you think you could carry on?

It's made me go the other way, to be honest. It's made me think it is the right time. It's nice that I'm in the side and people are saying I'm doing well and why not stay for another year? It's better than them saying you should have gone a year ago. I prefer it to be like that and get out while it's going well because it can easily change.

How has the game changed during your era?

Anyone who has been in football the amount of time I have, you look from day one until now. There are big changes. The sports science side of it has come on more than anything; doctors, how to train and all this type of stuff. I think that has been the big advance in the game during that time. Four or five years ago, the Premier League was its best - I think it's dipped a little bit at the moment. A few years ago, ourselves, Chelsea and Manchester United were always close to winning the Champions League for two or three years. I think that was the height of the Premier League - hopefully that's something that I'll be able to talk about next season and we get the Premier League back up there. It would be nice to see some more top players coming in and give the league a little bit of a boost.

Rio Ferdinand has announced his England retirement today. Do you look back and think it would be nice to have had a few more games at that level?

I wish he'd have retired years ago, I might have got a few more games! He's been a great player, he's retired from England. He's a similar age to me so it was always going to come up at one time or another. Him and John Terry were the cornerstones of the England side for 10 years and it was just timing really - it was difficult for me to get in. They're two great players and I wish them well.

Is there anything you won't miss about being a professional player?

The feeling when you get beat, but I suppose I'll have that as a fan - watching and I won't be able to do anything about it if results aren't going well for Liverpool. So that feeling after a defeat, you're pretty low for a few days.

A new documentary featuring Jamie Carragher's managers, teammates and some high-profile opponents airs for  the first time at 7pm BST on Friday, May 24 on LFC TV. 'Carragher' will also be available on LFC TV Online and will conclude a fortnight of tributes across club media.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/carra-you-ll-not-see-me-crying

87:13

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 03:41:24 pm »

He will be missed, A LOT. You can perhaps buy a player with the skills, but you can´t buy a warrior, leader and passionate person for football and the club as much as Carra is for LFC. you only know what you have untill it´s gone. Carra is a Liverpool FC legend.

Offline mightykopite8

• Legacy Fan
  • 18 + 5
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 03:41:33 pm »
thanks Carra. hopefully the next person who'll wear that number 23 will be your son. YNWA.
FUCK OFF MANCS!!!

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 04:19:53 pm »
Not going to cry.......my arse.... :D
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 04:26:59 pm »
Not going to cry.......my arse.... :D

I don't know about him but I will
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 04:27:05 pm »
Brilliantly candid interview that - typically Carra. I'm sure Melwood will be a sorrier place without him and it'll be tough for Stevie G not having one of his best mates there everyday next season but glad to see he's happy to go now and has no reservations. He is indeed doing the right thing by going out at the top, he won a trophy last season and has done himself proud this season under a new manager.

Thanks for everything Jamie. You'll go down as one of our greatest ever servants.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 04:28:15 pm »
I met him once briefly, was getting hounded by people, but he heard my voice and heard the Northern Irish accent and came over for a photo and an autograph and asked me if I knew someone from Northern Ireland that he knew, and I had to remind him there were 1.5m people living here and that I didn't know everyone!

Seemed a very down to Earth fella, a rare trait in todays football, and he will be sorely missed.

Legend.

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 04:33:05 pm »

What a player, what a professional, what a legend.
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2013, 04:35:11 pm »
Would have had a place in any of our best sides if you ask me, unlucky that we never won a title but Istanbul goes some way to making up for that. Legend.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2013, 04:35:24 pm »
In the words of Hicks jnr, I can just imagine saying to Ratboy Neville in that photo,

"Blow me fuckface".

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2013, 04:42:50 pm »
Liverpool personified.  True club legend.

Offline Redallover11

• Just behind Red Al Lover Number Ten in the Red Al Lover Queue
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2013, 04:46:49 pm »
Will be sorely missed.
 Love the bloke. Love everything about him,
He's going to coach I feel and he's going to be a great coach because he wants to learn and I see him being a great teacher to the kids in the academy.
That's my hope.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2013, 06:18:56 pm »
Will be remembered as one of our all time greats - thanks, Carra and good luck !

Offline tyrolean_red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2013, 06:43:55 pm »
Looking at these pictures, I slowly realise that he will really be gone on Saturday. And now for the first time I feel absolutely devestated. What an exceptional player, professional and man he is. There's no way I won't cry on Saturday.

Thank you  Jamie!!!

PS: Is there anything planned for his last game (ie like the mosaic for Sami)
Thank you Stevie! It was a pleasure.

Offline Los back. Thanks.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2013, 06:46:27 pm »
My personal hero at LFC. Thanks for all the memories. YNWA....

Offline Juanyboy

• Kopite
  • Enjoying the sun, missing the football
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2013, 02:02:07 am »
Thanks Jaime.

Watching his press conference makes me realise that I've seen his career from beginning to end, sad, sad day for me, not seeing him play for us any more.

All the best Jaime for the future. Proper Liverpool lad, proper legend.

YNWA

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2013, 02:07:07 am »

My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2013, 02:12:44 am »
He used to wind me up at right back under Ged, but he has proved himself time and time again. And what a brilliant bloke. I actually look forward to seeing him head to head with Gary Neville on Sky..

He will make a good manager. You can tell, just by reading his book.

Offline Justanotherfan

• Main Stander
  • Dorohedoro!
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2013, 03:00:06 am »
Thank you for everything, Jamie.
True legend.

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2013, 04:04:29 am »
Would be nice if the FA allowed everyone in the team to wear a CARRAGHER 23 shirt

We all dream of a team of Carraghers

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2013, 04:07:49 am »
One of the most loyal and dedicated players we could ever have. Wish he could have won the league as he has won everything else.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2013, 04:46:28 am »
Would be nice if the FA allowed everyone in the team to wear a CARRAGHER 23 shirt

We all dream of a team of Carraghers

I hope he's got his scoring boots on then because in his own words......

Before his final Liverpool appearance this Sunday, defender Jamie Carragher answered questions from reporters gathered at Melwood today.

A lot of 0-0s!

:D :D

Offline edmundljs

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird upon my chest, JUSTICE!!!
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2013, 07:41:12 am »
Gonna miss him. :(

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2013, 07:47:32 am »
Will be strange not having him around.

Would love to see him get a goal on Sunday. Would be more nervous seeing him take a penalty than in a cup final, solely because of the disappointment if he missed. Fingers crossed it'll be a near post header in front of the kop.

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2013, 08:49:46 am »
hope he gets a cheeky pen... 7/2 to score too!
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline LfcMonty

• Kopite
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2013, 09:48:14 am »

Cant believe Sunday will be the final time I see a team without Jamie in Im 24 and have grown up with Carra at the bedrock of the back 4 and I would be lying if i said i wont have a tear in my eye on Sunday afternoon. There arent enough words to describe Jamie Carragher he is a absolute hero and a legend of Liverpool Football Club I for one think the number 23 shirt should be retired after Sunday. I have been fortunate enough to meet an speak to him on various occasions and he is exactly what he says he is a local lad who is fortunate to play football 100% genuine down to earth Liverpool lad who has the whole respect and admiration from everyone in Liverpool! Thanks for the memories Jamie! You Will Never Ever Walk Alone!

23 Carra Gold

Offline jay.taller.than.spearing

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2013, 09:52:19 am »
Great servant to the club and the fans . All the people that moaned on about him were just wrong. All players make mistakes in their careers , but not all give 100% in every single game and put everything on the line for their teams . Carra always did and for that I can call him a legend and not feel like it's just cheap words. The club and fans are going to miss him being out there screaming at team mates and bossing the defensive line . Those who won't really do not have a clue in my eyes. Legend .
JFT96. YNWA .

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2013, 09:57:39 am »

A lot of 0-0s!

That dry wit will certainly be missed... :D

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2013, 10:02:47 am »
Alex Ferguson  :o

"He's absolutely a player I admire," "He's the epitome of a loyal, dedicated player who Liverpool have been lucky to have for more than a decade.

"He's been a bedrock of their defensive qualities for years and years. I loved him. He's a fantastic example for any young lad that wants to play the game. He's been a really, really good professional."

"He's absolutely the type of player a manager wants," "I used to rave about Brucie [Steve Bruce] and the nine years he had with us, and I think Jamie Carragher is that exact same mould - can play with injuries, gets knocked about and gets back up, hardly misses a game.

"You're lucky to have players like that. I was lucky to have Steve Bruce and he is the same type of player. A fantastic player."

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2013, 10:54:07 am »
Won't realize how much we'll miss him till he's gone.

Thank you for everything Jamie. Legend
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2013, 11:01:17 am »
Great player. Till now, I haven't seen a LFC team without him. Surely he will be a big miss  for Liverpool both on and off the pitch.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"