Author Topic: My Favourite Player number #24 - Jamie Carragher  (Read 5225 times)

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
My Favourite Player number #24 - Jamie Carragher
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:31:20 pm »
His legs may be going, he may be a boyhood blue, but he loves the club and his dad's well 'ard apparently so I don't have a bad word to say about him.

No matter what you think about Jamie now, anyone who doesn't think that this one club man is a Liverpool Legend is a grade A moron.

What sets Jamie Lee Duncan Carragher apart for me is that he loves Liverpool and gives more for Liverpool than he does/did the national team. If ever there was a man who embodied 'We're not English, we are Scouse' its him.

He loves the club and is a proud man, perhaps that's why he's finding it so hard to give up. But wouldn't you? I know if Liverpool were willing to play me then I'd bite their hand off. It must hurt the man seeing the club he loves being torn asunder by shit signings and the media. He's always going to give 110% and anyone who says he doesn't have what it takes, better beware.

"[player] walked on to the training pitch with a smile on his face. He was limping off it with a grimace an hour later. The first chance I got, I did him. Never have I hunted down a 50–50 tackle with greater appetite. 'You're not f**king laughing now, are you, you soft c**t?' I said as he hobbled away." Who did he say this about in his autobiography?

716 games according to the official, and 5 goals. But the man isn't about goals, the man is about last ditch tackles stopping AC Milan players from winning the Champions League, the man is about battling cramp throughout extra time in FA Cup finals. The man is about winning, and doing what he can to help the team. The pain on his face was visible from the stands in the 2012 League Cup final. The obvious distress he suffered from not being part of the 'Mickey Mouse' cup, compared the fact he didn't give two shits about going out of major International tournaments just says what LFC means to Carra 23.

Just imagine how many appearances our Jamie would have if Lucas Neill hadn't broke his leg in 03/04. Imagine the state Neill would be in now if David Thomson hadn't been hanging around with Neill some time later...

Some say that he's too passionate. Not me, I know how he feels. When he squared up to Arbeloa, some thought he should have kept it shut. Nah, he thought that Alvaro was risking the points he so desperately wanted, so he let it be known. Countless defenders have been shepherded in by Carra, and the combination of Carra and Hyypia in their peak was a thing of beauty.

Rafael Benitez, tactical genuis and loved by most LFC fans, knew all about Carra even before he arrived:
"It’s like I said with Stevie recently – to be at one club for such a long time and to play 600 games is absolutely amazing and shows the passion and commitment,” said Benitez.

“Before I came here, I watched a lot of games and was analysing the players and Carra always stood out as you could see he was a clever player."

You know what, if Rafa thinks that Carra is a special player, then I think I do too.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hOZlFOm5Dbk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hOZlFOm5Dbk</a>

I remember on holiday with the partner in 2009, it was September and there were only us and one other couple in the hotel. To be fair thats probably because everyone else checked the weather and knew it was going to be torrential rain in Majorca all week, but I digress. Looking across the Pool one cloudy Spanish morning I clocked the book the fella from the other couple had, it was Carra, by Carra. Which was funny, because that was the book I was reading by the pool. So as far as I am aware, everyone has read his book :D

Its rare for a defender to be such an idol, normally a kids favourite player is the number 9, or the lung bursting midfielder who can lift the game by the scruff of its neck (we've had a few of each of those in our time too) but Carra is different. A family man with his own business interests and his own charity, you see his name on countless shirts in the Kop. He's more than a player, he's an ambassador.

And for those saying "loads of English defenders are brave role models", lets consider Carra.

He's got a close family, he doesn't cheat or shag his teammates birds.
He's got a charity that helps local kids in the community, no matter their colour or disability. He doesn't pick up fines for parking his car in disabled bays...
Our fans from across the Atlantic love him, they probably wouldn't love him if he mocked Americans about 9/11
He's not been removed from England duty (on multiple occasions), hes been asked to come out of retirement because his country needs him.
And he's not a filthy racist.

So ask me who's the biggest hero out of any defender to set foot on the turf? You can stick your EBJT up your arse, give me SHJC instead.

Scouse Hero, Jamie Carragher.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:05:59 pm by Le Christmas jCake »
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Online Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
Re: My Favourite Player number #24 - Jamie Carragher
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:44:14 pm »
Great read.

Love the man. Will be honest, he is my second favourite Liverpool player ever.

23 Carra Gold.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:07:03 am »
As we move to the last couple of this advent series 2012, there are few finer modern day true servants to the club than Jamie Carragher... Irrespective of what one might think these days, he's a true one club man, a real proper die hard red player and after 3.... We all dream of a team of.....

Enjoy this lovely piece.
Yep.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 12:17:37 am »
Lets face it

He turns Didi Hamman Scouse
Squares up to Roy Keane
Makes Nani cry

You have to love Jamie  :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:24:45 am »
Absolute commitment and professional honesty every time he goes on the pitch. We see his flaws, we've seen him mature and peak and slowly move towards a fringe role as his career moves towards its conclusion, but I don't think anyone has ever dared question his application and desire since his unfortunate accident with the cream and, oh nevermind, family man now and one you can point out to kids as an example of how dedication and hard work pays off.

He's not perfect. But he's ours. And he deserves the plaudits which should come his way whenever he does feel it's time to admit that no matter how willing his heart is, his body just can't be forced to submit to his will any longer. There'll be plenty of time for the next big thing. Enjoy the chance to pay a bit of respect and thanks to a one club man while he's still playing. He'll be a long time retired.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:46:04 am »
Wouldn't have swapped him for any defender on the planet, in his day.

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 04:26:48 am »
If Fowler is God, Carra is St Peter. Thou shalt not pass!

Absolute legend.

Offline PaLee

• Death by football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • This is ANFIELD!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 04:47:04 am »
"There is a chance that I will retire at the end of the season," he told The Daily Express.

"It is the last season of my contract and the club have not said anything to me yet.

"I am open-minded, but I would not play on if I was killing the team when I played. I would not be hanging on for money or anything.

"And I would not go anywhere else. It is Liverpool or nothing for me."

Legend.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 06:21:57 am »
Legend.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 07:07:56 am »
The amount of dogs abuse this man has took from sections of our "fans" is nothing short of shocking.

Top man; top player. Legend.

Offline petecolonia

• Anny Roader
  • Left of the Sinking Ship
    • Northern Independence Party
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 07:08:16 am »
Love Carra, great read. Also think he's been great adapting to BR's style, haven't seen a hoof in ages...
Bunch of centrist wetwipes - Watching Britain sink into obscurity.

Keir Starmer will tank hard. Alan X says I'm a bore, but at least I don't mod forums. That's just sad.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 07:21:31 am »
We're blessed to have Carra.

"Who's bigger than Liverpool?"

Not just for our club - Proper Liverpool Legend.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 10:19:23 am »
Love the man, because he loves our club. It's as simple as that really.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 10:33:56 am »
"[player] walked on to the training pitch with a smile on his face. He was limping off it with a grimace an hour later. The first chance I got, I did him. Never have I hunted down a 50–50 tackle with greater appetite. 'You're not f**king laughing now, are you, you soft c**t?' I said as he hobbled away." Who did he say this about in his autobiography?

Wasn't it Song? Carragher's book is my favourite sporting autobiography - it is a fantastic read.

Love him as a person and as a player. His performance in the 2005 Champions league final was one of the most courage's I had ever seen, his body was doubled up with cramp and yet he continued to throw himself into tackles. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 11:44:01 am »
Loves the club, but loves the City and everything it stands for so much more. A true scouser, what a legend. Love it how he never spuds Reina  ;D
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Shite Name

• With a post history to match it.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 11:48:13 am »
Love him, yeah his best day are behind him now, but his love for the club is still there. Legend.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 01:54:13 pm »
Good write up mate. :thumbup

Carra is a legend simple as.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 03:08:04 pm »
Club legend and top bloke.

Will make a very good manager one day.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
  • Where once we watched the King Kenny play
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 03:49:10 pm »
One of my favorite player ever, simple as that. He plays like a fan would do if given the chance to be on the pitch for this great club.
A real modern legend. Carra 23 Gold

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 04:28:20 pm »
I was going to say disappointing how few this replies this has, but I missed it myself amongst the madness of Christmas eve.

Boss article. Boss professional. Boss player. Probably my favourite player as well. Honestly believe he doesn't get the credit off some that he deserves. His football intelligence is superb, and when you have the graft he does that means he was always going to make it. Credit to Rafa for seeing his potential. Got a feeling our Jamie will be a decent manager.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 04:31:24 pm »
Can I just add what a shame it is that 2 of our best truly local players, if not the 2 best, will never get to win a league title. What a pity. The miracle of Istanbul makes up for that somewhat, but it is a disappointment. The failure to win the league was certainly no fault of Carra's, as his records being part of the defence under Rafa would suggest.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 7, 2013, 01:16:11 pm »
Reading this on the day he announces he will be retiring at the end of the season makes me miss him more than I thought I would

He's traversed generations in respect to playing time. From the time he started to the time he ends his career my life has seen examinations, university, graduation, a first job, a first car, marriage, a new home, a first child and sadly some deaths

He'll be someone I will recall parts of my life by in respect to matches and his legendary status.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: February 7, 2013, 01:20:25 pm »
Reading this on the day he announces he will be retiring at the end of the season makes me miss him more than I thought I would

He's traversed generations in respect to playing time. From the time he started to the time he ends his career my life has seen examinations, university, graduation, a first job, a first car, marriage, a new home, a first child and sadly some deaths

He'll be someone I will recall parts of my life by in respect to matches and his legendary status.

Good point that Harinder. I can remember his debut now, coming on as a sub in yet another annoying defeat at Boro. I was in my 1st year at uni at the time.

Makes me wonder what I've done with my career more than anything else!

Offline Jimi

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 05:48:07 pm »
I tend to agree w/you for the most part, although he would be my second choice as LFC's all-time player. I do believe that Carra has consistently displayed the most amount of heart on & off the pitch, and if this were an article about the all-time LFC players w/the biggest heart, Carra would be right at the top.

Kind regards,
Jimi