Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 597707 times)

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #9680 on: April 17, 2019, 02:47:36 am »
I haven't cheered a hockey team not called the New York Rangers so much as I've cheered Columbus Blue Jackets this series  ;D

So impressive, and seriously happy for John Tortorella especially.  Also Brandon Dubinsky too! And how impressive was the French kid Alex Texier. He only played 2 regular season games right at the end of the season, but played pretty much in every situation in this series.

Wonder what on earth will happen with the Lightning this summer? Jon Cooper has to be on thin ice.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:49:50 am by Die Nullfünfer »

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #9681 on: April 17, 2019, 03:12:23 am »
Islanders sweep the Penguins.

TB first team out followed by Pittsburgh.
YWNA

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9682 on: April 17, 2019, 11:46:00 am »
Columbus sweeps TB 4-0.

Wow! Who would have thought it. One of the biggest first round upsets I can remember.

The first comparable I could think of was Detroit v San Jose in 1994. There is also the Oilers in their 80s pomp being dumped by the Kings. This is a bigger upset for me given the sweep. Also congratulations to the Islanders for blowing up the Eastern Conference bracket.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:06:57 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9683 on: April 17, 2019, 12:14:43 pm »
Both sweeps were in pretty dominant fashion as well. Not many of those games went into overtime. Trotz and Tortorella are both experienced coaches with a Stanley Cup to their name. It shows.

Offline ErieRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #9684 on: April 17, 2019, 12:31:18 pm »
I know the defending champs are still alive, but the East is definitely wide open now.  As a Leafs fan, who dreaded the notion of back-to-back series against the Bruins and Lightning, suddenly things are seen in a whole new light. 

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9685 on: April 17, 2019, 12:44:57 pm »
I know the defending champs are still alive, but the East is definitely wide open now.  As a Leafs fan, who dreaded the notion of back-to-back series against the Bruins and Lightning, suddenly things are seen in a whole new light. 

The Toronto media will definitely be planning the parade route if they get past Boston

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9686 on: April 18, 2019, 01:42:35 am »
Looks like the Drake curse has potentially made its way to Scotiabank Arena :lmao

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9687 on: April 18, 2019, 01:46:45 am »
Looks like the Drake curse has potentially made its way to Scotiabank Arena :lmao

Oh I do hope so!

Amazed they let him in  ;D

Dallas giving Nashville a right battering this 1st period. 4-0 so far.  Pekka Rinne pulled.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9688 on: April 18, 2019, 01:58:51 am »
Has anybody else banned drake like Roma did

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9689 on: April 18, 2019, 07:49:38 am »
Ouch, that was a brutal loss for the Flames in overtime! They certainly have their work cut out for them now.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9690 on: April 18, 2019, 11:45:07 am »
And the Drake curse continues :lmao

Ouch, that was a brutal loss for the Flames in overtime! They certainly have their work cut out for them now.

This always seemed one of the more likely series to involve an upset

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #9691 on: April 18, 2019, 06:05:33 pm »

We're done. We had a 2-0 in the 3rd and blew it. We've been totally outmatched and outplayed and this is the most surprising thing to me because Colorado didn't look this good in the regular season. I realized quickly that it was a horrible matchup for us and we simply can't handle Mackinnon. Also, Gaudreau and Monahan haven't turned up at all in the series and if your best players aren't your best players in a series you are screwed. Neither of them are built for the playoffs and both have been completely missing. Our best player has been Smith and nobody else has played well. He's still facing 50 shots a game.
YWNA

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9692 on: April 19, 2019, 12:10:44 am »
The Toronto media will definitely be planning the parade route if they get past Boston
The Toronto media have had the parade route planned since they last won it. Trouble is downtown Toronto has changed a bit since 1967. They'll have to get back to the drawing board and if I was them, I wouldn't bother going through the exercise just yet.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9693 on: April 19, 2019, 11:41:27 am »
Worst kept secret in hockey to be told today

Gord Miller@GMillerTSN
BREAKING: The Red Wings will introduce Steve Yzerman as their new GM this afternoon, Ken Holland to remain as Sr Vice President.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9694 on: April 19, 2019, 12:22:07 pm »
Worst kept secret in hockey to be told today

Gord Miller@GMillerTSN
BREAKING: The Red Wings will introduce Steve Yzerman as their new GM this afternoon, Ken Holland to remain as Sr Vice President.

Happy he's finally back. He IS the Red Wings after all.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #9695 on: April 19, 2019, 03:17:03 pm »
First time since 2004 that the first 5 games have ended in an away win. #Blues #Jets
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9696 on: April 19, 2019, 09:12:23 pm »
Happy he's finally back. He IS the Red Wings after all.

Yep. Detroit's cap situation is a mess. I'd expect plenty of buyouts and salary shifting for starters

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9697 on: April 19, 2019, 09:58:21 pm »
Yep. Detroit's cap situation is a mess. I'd expect plenty of buyouts and salary shifting for starters

Yep. Gonna take time, but hopefully Yzerman can work his magic over time.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9698 on: April 20, 2019, 02:22:06 am »
Bullshit call in the Toronto @ Boston game, a clear goalie interference not overturned.  Leafs getting a massive favour from the league to give themselves a 3-2 series lead.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9699 on: April 20, 2019, 02:37:50 am »
Bullshit call in the Toronto @ Boston game, a clear goalie interference not overturned.  Leafs getting a massive favour from the league to give themselves a 3-2 series lead.
Nobody knows what goalie interference is. They dont call it very consistently

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9700 on: April 21, 2019, 08:16:43 pm »
Maple Leafs might knock out Boston tonight, puck drop is in a couple of minutes.

I watched Nashville- Dallas yesterday and it was fascinating to watch Seguin / Benn / Radulov completely dominate the Nashville defence. If Toronto and Dallas go through, I’ll be 100% wrong in my bracket predictions

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9701 on: April 21, 2019, 10:56:19 pm »
Think that was Toronto's chance. Boston will beat them in game 7.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9702 on: April 21, 2019, 11:00:36 pm »
I'm just glad a series is going to 7 games  ;D

I was at the stage of thinking none would. I guess maybe the Dallas one will too. But other than that, looked like it was close to being over without one, which would have been such a shame.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9703 on: April 21, 2019, 11:01:55 pm »
Think that was Toronto's chance. Boston will beat them in game 7.
78% of a game 5 winners in a 2-2 series goes on to win the series. Tor can win in Boston

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9704 on: April 21, 2019, 11:20:09 pm »
78% of a game 5 winners in a 2-2 series goes on to win the series. Tor can win in Boston

I hope you're right, I rather see Toronto in the 2nd round rather than Boston... but idk feels like Toronto is gonna blow it again.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9705 on: April 23, 2019, 08:58:48 am »
Nashville out and Carolina ties the series with Washington :o is black magic at work here or what? This must be the most exciting playoffs in years

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9706 on: April 23, 2019, 11:15:45 am »
Nashville out and Carolina ties the series with Washington :o is black magic at work here or what? This must be the most exciting playoffs in years

Definitely the most topsy-turvy. Can't figure out why as of yet

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #9707 on: April 23, 2019, 11:54:56 am »
Blues- Stars matchup then. Can go either way, but the Blues news to play better v the Stars than what they did in the regular season.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9708 on: April 23, 2019, 05:51:28 pm »
Don’t forget that the Blues were dead last in the entire league at the start of January. Incredible story.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9709 on: April 24, 2019, 12:50:30 am »
Leafs down 2-0 after the first period.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9710 on: April 24, 2019, 12:53:46 am »
C'mon BRUIIIIINNNNNSSS!  Bout the only time I'll cheers the buggers  ;D

2 really poor efforts by Toronto for the goals too. Cos they started quite well actually!

Here's to them not slacking off and getting complacent in the 2nd.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9711 on: April 24, 2019, 01:00:37 am »
So far, so good. If Leafs win tonight, Canadian TV will be unwatchable for at least a month. In fact right through October if the Jays do anything this year. The notion that you're supposed to root for a Canadian team just because you live in the country is an odd one. Supporting the national team is one thing, club support totally different. I can't see anyone seriously suggesting Liverpool fans should climb on the Man City bandwagon if we go out against Barca. I was sorry to see the Jets get beat and would have liked to see the Habs make it to the playoffs. But Leafs? Flames? No thanks.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9712 on: April 24, 2019, 01:03:28 am »
So far, so good. If Leafs win tonight, Canadian TV will be unwatchable for at least a month. In fact right through October if the Jays do anything this year. The notion that you're supposed to root for a Canadian team just because you live in the country is an odd one. Supporting the national team is one thing, club support totally different. I can't see anyone seriously suggesting Liverpool fans should climb on the Man City bandwagon if we go out against Barca. I was sorry to see the Jets get beat and would have liked to see the Habs make it to the playoffs. But Leafs? Flames? No thanks.

I agree with ya apart from the Flames bit  ;D  And apart from the bit about Canada - I don't live there! But I know what you mean.

Leafs and their fans are insufferable. Hopefully the Bruins step it up this 2nd period and don't invite them back in.

Nope, they invited them back in  ::)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:14:51 am by Die Nullfünfer »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9713 on: April 24, 2019, 01:14:11 am »
The infighting between Leafs fans over certain players on Twitter is glorious :lmao

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9714 on: April 24, 2019, 01:15:38 am »
The infighting between Leafs fans over certain players on Twitter is glorious :lmao

which players? I don't really follow a lot of hockey twitter!  And what's their problem?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9715 on: April 24, 2019, 01:18:16 am »
which players? I don't really follow a lot of hockey twitter!  And what's their problem?

Basically complaining certain players either aren't trying (Gardiner, Nylander) and/or are a waste of money (Nylander/Tavares) Although now the latter has scored it's a different story

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9716 on: April 24, 2019, 01:20:43 am »

Leafs and their fans are insufferable.
Agreed. Some would say Calgarians aren't too far behind.  ;)
Different breed from Edmontonians. Passing through the Vancouver airport departure lounges on a weekday morning you can tell who's going to Calgary and who's off to Edmonton. It's all bling and mobiles in the Calgary lounge, t-shirts and baseball hats for Edmonton.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9717 on: April 24, 2019, 01:21:56 am »
Agreed. Some would say Calgarians aren't too far behind.  ;)
Different breed from Edmontonians. Passing through the Vancouver airport departure lounges on a weekday morning you can tell who's going to Calgary and who's off to Edmonton. It's all bling and mobiles in the Calgary lounge, t-shirts and baseball hats for Edmonton.

And Stetsons

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9718 on: April 24, 2019, 01:45:33 am »
Marchand's such a weasel.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #9719 on: April 24, 2019, 02:12:35 am »
Salah-esque by Kuraly there.