Author Topic: The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Any Fans?  (Read 620 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Any Fans?
« on: January 24, 2022, 05:57:50 pm »
Been listening to all their albums in order over the last couple of weeks and blown away how they all stand up. 

A really diverse back catalogue with a lot of quality.

Personal favs are Revelation, Methodrone and Take It From The Man!

There must be fans on here so thought it was a topic considering they have 19 albums now.

The film Dig! is also worth checking out.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:00:42 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
Re: The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Any Fans?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 08:09:08 am »
Always loved "Anemone". However I only started listening to them properly in 2020, and now they are one of my favourite bands. Listen to them all the time. It´s rare for an artist to put stuff out with such consistency. And as you say, diverse while keeping a defined sound.

Anton Newcombe was also releasing loads of songs through the 2020 lockdowns - free and straight onto youtube (actually that was how I came across more and more of their music). Some good stuff on there that hasn´t made it onto any albums yet. Also the collaboration stuff with him and Tess Parks (seperate from the Brian Jonestown Massacre name but much the same sound) is also really good.

The only bit of their work I really don´t like was the theme tune to Boardwalk Empire. But I think that was as much to do with it feeling totally out of place on that show, that otherwise exclusively used period music.

To think, I once saw the name and assumed they were some kind of death metal band  :D Wish I´d known about them earlier and I would have taken the oppurtunity to see them at Liverpool Psych Fest

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 08:48:34 am »
Always remember seeing them on a weekend morning musical TV show called Recovery on the ABC in the 90's. They absolutely destroyed the place and it was epic.

I've always been a massive Dandy Warhol’s fan and a few years ago a colleague recommended I watch 'Dig!'. What a doco, showed you the very small difference between going mainstream and staying underground. Probably one of American music’s greatest 'rivalries'.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/rQGftlPBKJ0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/rQGftlPBKJ0</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 09:30:49 pm »
Been to tonnes of their gigs. Always good live. My ex-girlfriends band toured with them in 2005 and I went to a few gigs in France and got to know a couple of them. Anton was an alcoholic at the time and was a bit of a firecracker to be around but he seems to have straightened himself out these days.