Author Topic: The Expanse - James S A Corey  (Read 30837 times)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Expanse - James S A Corey
« Reply #200 on: February 1, 2021, 07:02:06 pm »
It's been said loads about how the show gets the science of space correct, and the depiction of what the result of exposing the human body to the vacuum of of space would look like when
Spoiler
Naomi threw herself out the airlock
[close]
was not only brilliant, but a brilliant bit of subverting your expectations, seeing that we've all been falsely educated from other examples in science fiction on what the result would be.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 2, 2021, 09:07:05 am »
Absolutely. I really enjoy that aspect of the show. I think that it strikes a really good balance in being 'harder sci-fi whilst at the same time being really entertaining. As a fan of the likes of Stephen Baxter I really appreciate an imaginitive story whilst still keeping the physics and the like grounded in reality. Really gonna miss this show when it's gone.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #202 on: February 3, 2021, 08:38:09 am »
HOLY SHIT that finale was incredible! Right in the feels!

Spoiler
And even though I've read the books and knew what was going to happen, I was BAWLING me eyes out. The way they directed Naomi's scene in space, all close on her face and with only muffled sounds to go on, was phenomenal. Seemed like a nod to Gravity, too.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 3, 2021, 10:09:42 am by emergency exit »

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #203 on: February 3, 2021, 10:09:00 am »
Also, if you're wondering what the hell was going on in that final scene, may I suggest you rewatch this clip from the first episode of series 5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NIUZl3kqC4

You, like myself, might have forgotten all about it, but it explains so much.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #204 on: February 3, 2021, 11:10:37 am »
Really enjoyed that, as I did all of season 5

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #205 on: February 3, 2021, 06:03:28 pm »
Also, if you're wondering what the hell was going on in that final scene, may I suggest you rewatch this clip from the first episode of series 5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NIUZl3kqC4

You, like myself, might have forgotten all about it, but it explains so much.
Good spot.

I cannot bloody wait for season 6, so just purchased book 6 & 7 for my kindle.

Phenomenal season, my all time favorite sci-fi show now!!!!
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 3, 2021, 08:06:31 pm »
Yeah, that was brilliant.
Spoiler
Thought Naomi was a goner for sure
[close]
, even though I predicted what she was going to do, it was still well done, and directed. The thing I sort of took me by surprise and said "What the fuck" at was
Spoiler
Alex's sudden demise.
[close]
It was a tad unceremonious given that he was one of main characters, but given the allegations surrounding the actor, I can understand the reason why they did it in this manner, but it sort of made me laugh at the same time. Makes me wonder if the edited that in a way that wasn't intended to be put in the show. Like it was done after the fact and there were other scenes with him recorded. I've not read the books, so I can't say if its accurate or not. It didn't seem like it was. Seemed like a last minute edit.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #207 on: February 4, 2021, 11:12:37 am »
i enjoyed the season but the weakest so far for me

the fact i really dont like anything about naomi's character (including the actual acting of her part) and especially anything to do with the 'long lost son' bollocks probably doesn't help my overview, nor the Prince impressionist who i find irritattingly acted, im kinda waiting for him to stamp his feet in a hissy fit
Spoiler
i was hoping that leap from the airlock was gonna be her last, you know boo hoo how sad for her fans and thank fuck for fans of the show like me who wouldn't miss her at all (or her kid, or his dad, they can all fuck off for me)  ;D
[close]

i think overall what bugged me was it became pretty clear early on that in this season the cast aren't going to be with each other that much and some of those tangents were really quite boring
« Last Edit: February 4, 2021, 11:19:41 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #208 on: February 5, 2021, 07:40:13 am »
The thing I sort of took me by surprise and said "What the fuck" at was
Spoiler
Alex's sudden demise.
[close]
It was a tad unceremonious given that he was one of main characters, but given the allegations surrounding the actor, I can understand the reason why they did it in this manner, but it sort of made me laugh at the same time. Makes me wonder if the edited that in a way that wasn't intended to be put in the show. Like it was done after the fact and there were other scenes with him recorded. I've not read the books, so I can't say if its accurate or not. It didn't seem like it was. Seemed like a last minute edit.

Yeah, the allegations came forth after filming had already wrapped. From the show's POV that left the writers a right big mess...

Spoiler
...which, I'd say, they cleaned up quite elegantly. Yes, you sort of notice that something is iffy with Alex's death scene - owing to the fact that they  CGId blood over a freeze-frame image of him in the Razorback.

They also clearly edited him out of the reunion scene on the Roci and the group scenes on Luna (there are pictures of the scene with the actor, Cas Anvar, present). There's a big empty chair now next to Amos in that scene where Alex was originally sat. An empty chair would normally never take up that much space in a frame.

The only scene they reshot, as far as I can tell, is the one in the med bay where Holden and Naomi are speaking about Alex's demise. And possibly Bull drinking from Alex's cup (to signal the succession), but that may just have been good editing.

People dying of a stroke after a high G burn is something that's been alluded to as far back as the first episode of the first series, so it's not like this came out of nowhere. Plus, Naomi's goodbye message that she plays for Holden, which is all about families breaking apart, now works quite well in the context of Alex leaving that family.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 5, 2021, 07:45:54 am by emergency exit »

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: February 5, 2021, 10:29:52 am »
Yeah, the allegations came forth after filming had already wrapped. From the show's POV that left the writers a right big mess...

Spoiler
...which, I'd say, they cleaned up quite elegantly. Yes, you sort of notice that something is iffy with Alex's death scene - owing to the fact that they  CGId blood over a freeze-frame image of him in the Razorback.

They also clearly edited him out of the reunion scene on the Roci and the group scenes on Luna (there are pictures of the scene with the actor, Cas Anvar, present). There's a big empty chair now next to Amos in that scene where Alex was originally sat. An empty chair would normally never take up that much space in a frame.

The only scene they reshot, as far as I can tell, is the one in the med bay where Holden and Naomi are speaking about Alex's demise. And possibly Bull drinking from Alex's cup (to signal the succession), but that may just have been good editing.

People dying of a stroke after a high G burn is something that's been alluded to as far back as the first episode of the first series, so it's not like this came out of nowhere. Plus, Naomi's goodbye message that she plays for Holden, which is all about families breaking apart, now works quite well in the context of Alex leaving that family.
[close]
The message also works for fans imo. Sort of breaking the 4th wall to address the fans directly.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: February 5, 2021, 10:03:26 pm »
i enjoyed the season but the weakest so far for me

the fact i really dont like anything about naomi's character (including the actual acting of her part) and especially anything to do with the 'long lost son' bollocks probably doesn't help my overview, nor the Prince impressionist who i find irritattingly acted, im kinda waiting for him to stamp his feet in a hissy fit
Spoiler
i was hoping that leap from the airlock was gonna be her last, you know boo hoo how sad for her fans and thank fuck for fans of the show like me who wouldn't miss her at all (or her kid, or his dad, they can all fuck off for me)  ;D
[close]

i think overall what bugged me was it became pretty clear early on that in this season the cast aren't going to be with each other that much and some of those tangents were really quite boring

I thought this season peaked around episode 4, when everything kicked up a gear and it felt like anything could happen next.
(I've only read the book series to Cibola Burn, so came into this season blind)

Marcos does have a very odd accent - he also has possibly the shittest chant I've ever heard.

Although I enjoyed it overall, I thought the final few episodes were a little flat.

Spoiler
Amos' escape from earth only had about 2 minutes where there was any threat, and Clarissa dealt with most of that off screen.
And then Amos had nothing to do in the final episode.

I found Alex's death came off weirdly - I think a consequence of the fact that it was written in late in the day with most stuff already filmed.
Obviously they did the best the could, but it just doesn't quite fit.
With the remaining crew all reunited, they just casually lounge around at a cocktail party - which made more sense when I found that Alex was actually in those scenes when they were filmed and was edited out later, but on first viewing it came off as rather weird behaviour.

[close]

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 17, 2021, 02:45:14 pm »
Just started season one. Struggled to start with. Worth sticking with?

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2021, 02:51:15 pm »
Just started season one. Struggled to start with. Worth sticking with?

I struggled a bit with season 1 as well, for me anyway and someone else I recommended it to, Season 2 is a fair bit stronger

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2021, 02:53:12 pm »
I struggled a bit with season 1 as well, for me anyway and someone else I recommended it to, Season 2 is a fair bit stronger
Cheers and season two and beyond is good?

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2021, 03:01:22 pm »
Cheers and season two and beyond is good?

Yes, just my opinion but for me anyway 1 is the weakest

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: February 23, 2021, 09:40:29 am »
I gave up. Just couldn't get interested in it.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2021, 07:34:21 pm »
One of my brother-in-laws does 3D printing for fun. He has three printers, all customised. One can use multiple different coloured plastics for printing. About a year ago, I asked him to print me a Roci. He said sure, and asked me to find the programming. I found two, one that just a solid grey (then you can hand paint) and one with colour. He preferred the grey one, but then spent about a month modifying to add colours (I could not find the Roci paint scheme, so it's the original)

After that he printed the hull in three sections. The back part kept failing - the printing is layers of 0.1mm so it can easily happen. The ship is about 45CM, so 4,500 layers. So he had to tweak the programming multiple times

He was not an Expanse watcher, but this side project got him into it, and he even printed one for himself aswell :)

I have the option of adding the four side guns, and if I want he'll put a light in the flame, which screws off, and a switch on the bottom of the ship.

It was printed at a 90 degree angle to how it is here, so I think the part that took the longest is where it says MCRN on the top, because four colours are used, and between each colour the printer has to purge.

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2021, 09:12:15 pm »
Wow those are amazing, that is crazy how detailed that is.

If you're on reddit you really need to post those images on The expanse sub Reddit.

Lego really need to do one as well.

The G In Gerrard get back watching it, season 1 is slow, but it gets so much better after that.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 09:14:17 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2021, 09:34:07 pm »
Wow those are amazing, that is crazy how detailed that is.

If you're on reddit you really need to post those images on The expanse sub Reddit.

Lego really need to do one as well.

The G In Gerrard get back watching it, season 1 is slow, but it gets so much better after that.
I'm not, but feel free to post them there!
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #219 on: March 14, 2021, 01:05:32 pm »
I gave up. Just couldn't get interested in it.

Stick with it!!! Season one is very, very mediocre, but it quickly goes uphill from there. Season 3 is right up there with the best episodes of Babylon 5 (my gold-standard for sci-fi). And much of season 5 reaches those heights again.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #220 on: April 5, 2021, 06:21:56 am »
Stick with it!!! Season one is very, very mediocre, but it quickly goes uphill from there. Season 3 is right up there with the best episodes of Babylon 5 (my gold-standard for sci-fi). And much of season 5 reaches those heights again.

After binging 1-5 in a week I have to say that 3 is easily the peak, albeit the feeling that it's 2 traditional seasons in one. I don't think the others get close.
:D

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: October 9, 2021, 01:16:44 am »
Season 6 Teaser trailer out.

https://youtu.be/4PJpkGPtAHE

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2021, 06:26:55 pm »
Season 6 Teaser trailer out.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4PJpkGPtAHE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4PJpkGPtAHE</a>

What's with the sound editing in that? All over the place.

Anyway, hype ;D

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2021, 09:56:35 pm »
Well, it can't be worse than season 5. Can it?

edit: That's a bit harsh actually. It started off very strongly, but I ended up pissed off with it spending so much screentime on Naomi (genuinely the worst actor I've ever seen in a big TV show), her son and Marco Inaros' family reunion storyline rather than THE FUCKIN RINGS and all the cool space/alien shit they could be doing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 10:27:38 pm by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2021, 11:24:44 pm »
Well, it can't be worse than season 5. Can it?

edit: That's a bit harsh actually. It started off very strongly, but I ended up pissed off with it spending so much screentime on Naomi (genuinely the worst actor I've ever seen in a big TV show), her son and Marco Inaros' family reunion storyline rather than THE FUCKIN RINGS and all the cool space/alien shit they could be doing.

All the Naomi and INaros shit really annoyed. I WANT THE ALIENS and the technology shit. Not some fucking drama.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2021, 01:18:54 pm »
Thought season 5 had some of the best scenes. It ended on a weird note when they had to edit all the Alex stuff in post.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sIwGgte4vTY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sIwGgte4vTY</a>

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2021, 06:58:26 pm »
The Naomi stuff was just to set up a scenario for the finale. It all worked out, but yeah, probably took up too much screen time. Still, it also lead to one of the better scenes that accurately depicted what would happen if you went into space without a suit. Albeit with the help of a drug that doesn't exist. It's one of the things that makes this show great. True science fiction.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2021, 07:08:53 pm »

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #228 on: December 9, 2021, 08:26:59 pm »
Season 6 starts in just a few hours from now  :)

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2021, 02:36:44 pm »
Spoiler
I'm going to miss Jared Harris' glorious belter accent.
[close]

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #230 on: December 13, 2021, 06:37:35 am »
I am aware that they are condensing the entire season into six shorter-than-usual episodes: but that felt quite a bit rushed  :-[

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2021, 01:42:21 pm »
the whole season is out on Amazon?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: December 14, 2021, 01:57:25 pm »
Just the first episode
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #233 on: December 20, 2021, 04:48:41 am »
Seemed they've really upped the production budget again this season, looks stellar. It's such a shame that they've used two episodes to essentially set everything up and tie up loose threads - characterised by plenty of cut-to-black scene transitions. Poor editing for the standard of the show and gives off Game of Thrones Season 8 vibes.

Just 4 episodes to finish the whole lot now ???

« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:57:50 am by Kashinoda »

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #234 on: December 20, 2021, 09:45:00 am »
The Expanse bosses explain why the final season is only six episodes long.

https://winteriscoming.net/2021/12/13/the-expanse-bosses-explain-why-final-season-only-six-episodes-long/

During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #235 on: December 26, 2021, 12:48:36 pm »
The Expanse bosses explain why the final season is only six episodes long.

https://winteriscoming.net/2021/12/13/the-expanse-bosses-explain-why-final-season-only-six-episodes-long/

Basically it was between doing ten cheapish episodes or six expensive ones.

And you know what? They went with the wrong decision.

We're halfway through the final season and the pacing is dreadful.

I still love this show to bits but they are not doing it justice at the moment.

Online dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #236 on: December 27, 2021, 04:35:01 pm »
Are they going to finish it this season - read an article that there is another series and movie to come, but named as an expansion/sequel type thing due to the licence agreement that Amazon agreed when it took over production:

https://ew.com/tv/the-expanse-amazon-season-6-naren-shankar/

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2022, 03:29:28 pm »
Over and done. What are everyone's thoughts on the finale?

Happy with where they left things with each character?

Confused by what the point of all those Laconia scenes was?

Desperately hoping that some other streamer still picks this up and does the final three books?

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2022, 07:35:08 pm »
Watching final 3 episodes tonight.

Came across this meme today. :D

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2022, 09:28:41 pm »
Over and done. What are everyone's thoughts on the finale?

Happy with where they left things with each character?

Confused by what the point of all those Laconia scenes was?

Desperately hoping that some other streamer still picks this up and does the final three books?

Yes I think the Laconia stuff feeds into the last few books, so that may payoff if they ever get picked up