Author Topic: Star Wars Universe lastest news  (Read 370213 times)

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
Re: Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2012, 01:02:47 am »
I really don't know what to think about this. I would hate for star wars to be made even more mediocre by them releasing more shite along the lines of episodes I & II. On the other hand they could rejuvenate the series and make it awesome again.

I'll be in line on opening day no matter what though so I guess it doesn't really matter to Disney.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2012, 01:03:19 am »
Maybe they could do a reboot of I to III with Christopher Nolan in charge. Nice and dark and no mita-bloody-chlorins in sight. ;)

Nolan, and going dark, would be a terrible choice for Star Wars. You need a light touch, the same tone as Whedon's Avengers.

Brad Bird or Del Toro would be my first picks. The 2015 release date makes me think they must have approached/interviewed people already as well. All of the Marvel people are booked up for the next 5 years or something so it's not going to be Whedon.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Star Wars Episode 7
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2012, 01:07:46 am »
Jedis are the bedrock of the Star Wars story and after episode 6 Luke was the only remaining one so they'd have to follow his character in some form. In the expanded universe series I recall he sets up a new jedi academy and starts training new apprectices, including Han and Leia's son.

Palpatine is supposedly still alive as his spirit is brought to life so they could follow the story from here. But to use these characters again, producers will have to pull off a mighty feat to live up to the impact they had in the 3 originals, or you're looking at a massive flop.

Alternatively they could go before the prequels and follow Palpatine's early beginings as Sidious under the influence of Darth Plagueis which could be pretty cool. Plagueis is a nasty character and there would be a lot to go on. Yoda would be alive too. Be cool, that would :)
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2012, 01:11:24 am »
Bit off topic, but when the first Star Wars film was released was it at the time call Episode 4?
Well supposedly he wrote at least 6 films worth of story, but couldnt get the money to make it from ep one, so decided to make the 3rd part which was more action orientated and he could sell as a movie to the studio. Then the studio made the worst deal in the history of films,  toy deal, shit loads of money, autonomy, independence from the studio system, megalomania, a fat bullfrog neck and a funny little beard that was fooling nobody swiftly followed and the rest is history. Once he had the money he could go about retconning all he fucking liked.

Has to be said there might be some truth in it, because ep one should never have seen the light of day and if thats the story he pitched its no wonder they fucked him off all them years ago.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:13:20 am by Mouth »
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2012, 01:16:25 am »
I'd go with Del Toro purely because he has the visual style that would suit Star Wars so well and he likes to work in animatronics more than CGI.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2012, 01:24:33 am »
But doesn't this mean that Indiana Jones will also come under Disney's remit?

Zak McCraken and the Alien Mindbenders too, I'd imagine.
Paramount hold some rights to Indy and based on the article there are no plans by Disney to touch it. Yet.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2012, 01:28:19 am »
I'd go with Del Toro purely because he has the visual style that would suit Star Wars so well and he likes to work in animatronics more than CGI.
If he did it in a Blade 2/Hellboy way thatd be boss.Would love to see him do He Man

Offline snoop123

• Kopite
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2012, 01:28:54 am »
Was initially annoyed at this, but now coming round.

If anyone can revamp star wars and make it great again, its disney.
Liverpool are magic!! Everton are tragic

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2012, 01:29:31 am »
Knowing my luck they will give all three films to that sausage fingered meff hack Peter fucking Jackson.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2012, 01:36:29 am »
Better than Michael Bay. Just.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2012, 01:39:13 am »
4 billion!!!

Drinks are on George! Also I heard he's got a gig as being an advisor also.

Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2012, 01:52:43 am »
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/30/fox-retain-rights-to-all-existing-star-wars-films/

Ah well, don't get your hopes up for the original cut trilogy on BluRay just yet :(
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2012, 01:54:59 am »
Hopefully Disney can make a Star Wars film as good as John Carter.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2012, 01:58:09 am »
Hopefully Disney can make a Star Wars film as good as John Carter.
Cracking shout that mate,forgot all about that film

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2012, 03:03:54 am »
He should give every individual on the planet $0.57 to apologise for the prequels, and possibly Return Of The Jedi.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:22:33 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2012, 04:50:36 am »
Star Wars 7 : The Search for More Money

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2012, 05:18:13 am »
Star Wars 7 : The Search for More Money

:D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2012, 05:22:21 am »
Excited about this. Time to right the wrongs.

Course, they'll probably just fuck it up some more.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2012, 05:31:15 am »

Probably my favourite south park episode
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline zurich_red

• Kemlynite
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2012, 06:49:52 am »
Happy with this news, as long as Jar Jar Binks is nowhere to be seen, I will be happy.  They have such a massive universe to work with, I think they can do something good.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2012, 06:56:16 am »
Hope we might get some good new Star Wars based RPG games as well.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2012, 07:42:58 am »
Talking of games, Disney should get cracking on a new Star Wars Battlefront game. They would rake in a shit load of money with it. Was one of the best games around.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2012, 07:51:45 am »
I'm assuming they'll be going on with the story line from the books with a few popular fan fiction add-in's.. i hope anyway.

I can't see how Disney can make them any worse than George has in the new 3, he finally came to his sense's and got rid of his best creation for someone to make it that much better. he was killing it. I agree maybe we'll get a few good games now, Jedi Academy has to be my favorite and i don't even think that was made by Lucasarts.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2012, 08:46:34 am »
Flogging a dead wookie? Disney have the clout to revitalise the series, talent permitting...

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2012, 09:13:59 am »
yeah, true. I do wonder if he's seen that review, though. It's more or less the most scathing and analytical dissection of a film out there. I personally think it's a good thing they're having another crack at 3 new films. It needed to be done, if only to banish those other 3 terrible efforts from memory.

Have you got a link to it, would love to read it if its that good?
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2012, 09:29:32 am »
Simon Pegg ‏@simonpegg
What if it works both ways?! If Beast shoots first, Belle is going to be so disappointed.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2012, 09:33:22 am »
a sneak peak of episode 7

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2012, 09:41:50 am »
Nolan, and going dark, would be a terrible choice for Star Wars. You need a light touch, the same tone as Whedon's Avengers.

Brad Bird or Del Toro would be my first picks. The 2015 release date makes me think they must have approached/interviewed people already as well. All of the Marvel people are booked up for the next 5 years or something so it's not going to be Whedon.

It was very much a tongue in cheek comment. Didn't hurt 'Empire Strikes Back' being a little dark though!

As long as they don't do pointless CGI, get in someone who can write a script and make sure Lucas is nowhere near the set then I'm sure it'll be a vast improvement anyway.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2012, 09:42:30 am »
Will they really get someone half-decent to do it though?

as evidenced by 1-3, they can do any old shit and still make a killing, what's their real incentive?

I used to love star wars as a kid. There was great anticipation for the Phantom Menace, I was working at the cinema and my colleagues stole the advance poster and made a grand from it. I saw it and instantly deflated, the other two weren't much better, ruined the whole thing for me.

even the original trilogy, looking back, is like the LOTR books - about one and a half good books worth and a load of extra guff.

Can't we just have some new ideas, instead of having our swollen nostalgia teats milked?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2012, 09:44:21 am »
Have you got a link to it, would love to read it if its that good?

They're video reviews and very very long. 70mins for Phantom Menace but well worth watching.

Link to Star Wars section of the website

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2012, 09:56:00 am »
Can't we just have some new ideas, instead of having our swollen nostalgia teats milked?
It's not quite nostalgia that's seen such a flurry of sequels, prequels, re-boots and franchises. It's all about the money. Disney have put 4bn down because they know they can make that money back and much more by giving the paying what they want, ie. what the punters are already familiar with.

Having said that I don't think there's anybody even vaguely connected to the film industry who doesn't know how crushingly disappointing episodes I-III were; and how much more lucrative it would be if the films (characters, plot, dialogue) were actually any good.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2012, 09:58:53 am »
use the forrrrrr billion dollars luke

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2012, 10:00:55 am »
It's not quite nostalgia that's seen such a flurry of sequels, prequels, re-boots and franchises. It's all about the money. Disney have put 4bn down because they know they can make that money back and much more by giving the paying what they want, ie. what the punters are already familiar with.

Having said that I don't think there's anybody even vaguely connected to the film industry who doesn't know how crushingly disappointing episodes I-III were; and how much more lucrative it would be if the films (characters, plot, dialogue) were actually any good.

True, poor to mediocre I-III brought in a lot of money indeed, Disney must be aware that good to great films would have brought in both far more money, a new loyal fanbase that would have lapped up any new content (offshoots/direct sequels).

They know that if they do a good job with resurrecting it then they will have an absolutely huge revenue stream here, or a massive one even if they just stick with as is.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2012, 10:02:41 am »
Are Disney and George Lucas Hiding Something?
By Kevin Roose

There are only a few reasons why, if you're Disney, you announce that you're buying George Lucas's film studio for $4 billion today, in the middle of an impenetrable news cycle surrounding a major natural disaster, and when U.S. stock markets are closed:

1. You want to cheer up the citizens of storm-damaged cities on the East Coast by giving them a new Star Wars film to look forward to.

2. You were going to announce the deal this week anyway, and somewhat callously decided not to delay the release just because Hurricane Sandy happened.

3. The deal is a financial dud, and you want to get the news out with minimum scrutiny.

Based on what little we know of the finances of Lucasfilm (which was private, and 100 percent owned by George Lucas, until today), I'm guessing that something closer to option 3 is happening.

George Lucas, now 68 years old and entering the twilight of a long and successful career, clearly had incentives to sell out. He'll get half of the $4 billion purchase in cash, and will be able to hand the Star Wars franchise over to Disney, who will have the energy and the wherewithal to milk it for all it's worth. (On a conference call today, Disney executives said they planned to release a new Star Wars movie every two to three years, beginning in 2015.) Disney will also get the Indiana Jones franchise out of the deal.

Compared to its other acquisitions (most notably, its 2006 purchase of Pixar for $7.4 billion), Disney is buying LucasFilm for a steal. And at a glance, $4 billion does look low for an iconic movie series. Earlier this year, 24/7 Wall Street ran some back-of-envelope calculations and estimated that the Star Wars franchise alone was worth upwards of $30 billion.

But there's no way a $30 billion valuation is even remotely accurate, given that George Lucas was willing to sell his entire company for roughly one-eighth of that.

It's true that Star Wars has sold many, many billions of dollars worth of merchandise, video games, movie tickets, and licenses. But Disney isn't buying LucasFilm for what Star Wars has already made — it's buying it based on what it believes the franchise can earn in the future. And that is much, much less certain.

Disney called Star Wars an "evergreen" media property today. But the prospect of keeping the Star Wars series going ad infinitum, and expanding it to regions and age groups in which it isn't already well known or loved, is far from a sure bet with consumers. It essentially amounts to wagering that die-hards will continue to flock to anything with the Star Wars name on it, while also betting that new movies will draw a younger generation that didn't grow up on Millenium Falcon references.

Disney can't rely on old intellectual property — it needs Lucasfilm to keep throwing off cash to justify its $4 billion price tag. But with aging cultural cachet (the first Star Wars came out 35 years ago) and a consumer base that has lots of other popular franchises clamoring for its attention, it's hard to think that the marketing machine of a decade ago can keep chugging along at pace. As this chart from Box Office Mojo points out, recent Star Wars movies (adjusted for ticket price inflation) have generally underperformed older ones. Why would newer versions, released by Disney, fare any better?
George Lucas, who has seen the Star Wars franchise go from revered cultural touchstone to virtual punchline, may have accepted a lowball bid in an effort to wash his hands of the series altogether. But I doubt it. We won't know for sure until Disney reports LucasFilm's financials, but it seems to me that Lucas may have gotten the better deal here.

If Disney can't keep a parade of Star Wars sequels from suffering diminishing returns, its "evergreen" acquisition may be more like a wilting flower. And if Disney knows it overpaid, or even senses it might have, then burying the news makes all the sense in the world.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/10/are-disney-and-george-lucas-hiding-something.html

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2012, 10:10:10 am »
As this chart from Box Office Mojo points out, recent Star Wars movies (adjusted for ticket price inflation) have generally underperformed older ones. Why would newer versions, released by Disney, fare any better?
George Lucas, who has seen the Star Wars franchise go from revered cultural touchstone to virtual punchline, may have accepted a lowball bid in an effort to wash his hands of the series altogether.

Haven't they answered their own question here? Lucas is the reason why Star Wars isn't revered any more. His constant fiddling with it, the prequels awful storylines, dialogue and obsession with CGI, and everything else he does with it.

Once he's out of the equation and a new talented director and writer/writing team are in place then Disney are potentially onto a winner out of the gate. One great new film will get a whole new audience in place and drag in the old guard.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2012, 10:15:59 am »
To be fair, Disney bought Marvel 3 or 4 years ago and have completely revitalised every single property of theirs that they've produced as a motion picture.

Yes absolutely.

The corporate nature of these takeovers is not a good story. But with better, younger directors it should be possible to make a good Star Wars film.

The bad news for me is that Joss Whedon is busy making Avengers 2 and JJ Abrams will be busy until next year on the Star Trek sequel.

Brad Bird or (unlikely dream) Duncan Jones?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2012, 10:20:15 am »
The new movies underperformed because they are shit. Pure and simple.

Remove Lucas from the driving seat, the universe itself is prime for an absolutely brilliant new saga.

This will make a shit ton of cash.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2012, 10:25:34 am »
Disney bought Pixar for 7+ billion?

Fucking hell, I'm in the wrong game.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2012, 10:34:31 am »
If you like these kind of movies look at Summer 2015:

The Justice League
The Avengers 2
Star Wars Episode 7

Can the box office sustain it?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2012, 10:49:37 am »
What would the seventh film be based on? Original material or the expanded universe?

Based on the Canon and what Lucas said in the 80/90s it would be the rebuilding of the Republic and Luke becoming a Jedi Master - Luke's kids and Lea/Solo's all become jedi and some of them being dark lords.. So lots of places they could go.