Author Topic: Star Wars Universe lastest news  (Read 370417 times)

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
Re: Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 10:01:37 pm »
Thank god someone took it out of his hands, could be very good news IMO... Who plays Luke though..?
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 10:06:53 pm »
Best thing about this - more Red Letter Media demolition jobs

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 10:07:55 pm »
What would the seventh film be based on? Original material or the expanded universe?

Fat Ewoks.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2012, 10:09:19 pm »

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2012, 10:16:44 pm »
Should have done this before he made the Phantom Menace. Also, now Lucas has less control of it, is there any chance that the original trilogy might now come out on DVD properly - i.e. remastered, but without the stupid extra scenes?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 10:30:59 pm »
You got the part then?

Yes. I'm Fat Bloated Twat from the Moon of Fuck Off. I star in it as I lead the team into the woods of Denzaboobie and show them the sacred Curry tandoor and mystical lager fountain.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 10:39:00 pm »
Oh George... where did it go all right?

"It's gonna  be great"
"It's gonna  be great"
"It's gonna  be great"
"It's gonna  be great"
"It's gonna  be great"
"It's gonna  be great"

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 10:39:20 pm »
Getting ILM, Skywalker sounds and LucasArts thrown in as well means that Disney got a fucking bargain there

There are so many things Disney can do going forward. Not just sequels.

Having Pixar, ILM, Skywalker sounds under the current Disney Production umbrella should leave them zero excuses not make amazing ground breaking films.

There is so much potential locked up within Lucasarts games. So many licences that have remained untouched for decades. If they don't want anything to do with them then release them to companies that do and take a slice of the profits.

George Lucas' company was going stale. Hopefully this could breath new life into it

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 10:41:25 pm »
Interesting - I'm surprised Lucas let go of this.....but then again £4b is a decent bit of cash!

Really hope they can do a good job of it.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 10:45:06 pm »
He's getting on, right time for him to give it up.

Makes you wonder how the deal is structured and how much on an influence he is going to have, that said he is a decent producer, so the new trilogy could be good, if he goes back to the blueprint of getting talented directors in to do his stories.

Love it if Del Toro got a go.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Online Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Star Wars Episode 7
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 10:54:53 pm »
They released a trilogy of books focusing on post-ROTJ adventures.  There's been a million more since, but those first 3 are good reads.  Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford etc are way too old now though.

Would be fucking hilarious seeing Mark Hamill play Luke Skywalker now though...

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 10:59:00 pm »
As long as fatty wobbly neck isnt directing it, I dont care what they do.

Definitely. Keep him well away and it's already a better film than the first prequel before you even have a script.

I remember seeing footage of the first internal showing of the 1st (I think) prequel and the team just looked appalled at the confused crap it was.. Might be on one of redlettermedia's fantastic deconstruction reviews.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:03:37 pm by JohnHobbes »

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2012, 11:01:41 pm »
I'd love a Darth Bane trilogy, fucking loved the books.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2012, 11:03:10 pm »
I would suspect the reason Disney would want this is because there are already a shed load of different cartoons, toys, games and franchises based on Star Wars. It's an easy product to fit into their 'portfolio'. I would doubt that they would have that much creative input into another film.
good. I think they've left Pixar and Marvel much to their own devices and so far it's worked.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Oh Caption! My Caption!

• Was Alonso.
  • Legacy Fan
  • And it's GERAAAAAAARD!!!
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 11:06:09 pm »
I dont know how anyone can be happy with this.

If they reboot it fine, but if they try and just add on to the previous 6 its just going to be shit and ruin it.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 11:06:17 pm »

Well we can hope that we get an Avengers style improvement but you're right if not, then thank god for Red Letter Media.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 11:20:19 pm »
You never know, it could have been that Plinket review that knocked Lucas over the head like a sledge hammer and forced some sense into him. maybe it made him realise just what a steaming pile of horse shit he'd written and created and decided to just let it all go? Who knows. It certainly opened my eyes to how bad those films really were. There is no chance in hell they'll do another Star Wars trilogy as badly written as what the previous three were. Or could they?

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 11:23:18 pm »
You never know, it could have been that Plinket review that knocked Lucas over the head like a sledge hammer and forced some sense into him. maybe it made him realise just what a steaming pile of horse shit he'd written and created and decided to just let it all go? Who knows. It certainly opened my eyes to how bad those films really were. There is no chance in hell they'll do another Star Wars trilogy as badly written as what the previous three were. Or could they?

Very much doubt it. Probably Lucas ran out of ways to change (i.e. screw up) the films in a few more ways, adding more redundant CGI, to then be able to resell again on DVD, etc...

He probably still thinks his Anakin/Padme relationship was very romantic and the dialogue just right. Delusional people like that don't change.

Offline Owenjg77

• Main Stander
Star Wars Episode 7
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:09 pm »
I can just imagine Disney getting Pluto to co-pilot the millennium falcon with Han Solo

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Disney buying 'Star Wars' maker Lucasfilm for $4.05B
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:47 pm »
This article sums up what I've been thinking pretty well. Although I would love to see an Edgar Wright Star Wars film...

Star Wars Is Saved

Today I am excited about Star Wars. For the first time since 2005 - when I mustered up the last of my battered hope for one final Star Wars movie - I am filled with a sense of optimism for the universe I once loved so much.

Today Disney has bought Lucasfilm, all of its tech holdings, and has announced it will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015. Read the press release here.

It's important to say that my sense of optimism comes from seeing how Disney has treated recent acquisition Marvel - allowing it to be a semi-independent production house. I suspect this is what's going to happen with Star Wars, that Disney will allow Kathleen Kennedy - who will be president of Lucasfilm - to shepherd the future of the universe. There will be some who believe that Disney is  going to treat Star Wars like Pirates or Alice in Wonderland, but I think the reality is that they're going to let Kennedy keep on minting money for them.

In fact, I think the purchase of Lucasfilm scratches Disney's itch to be in the blockbuster business. Between Lucasfilm and Marvel, they have that territory covered. The company plans to release a new sequel trilogy, with Episode VII hitting in 2015, and then to make more movies from there. Between that and a presumed continued strong showing from Marvel, they're good. They can focus on the core Disney brands now - hell, maybe this means we'll finally see a new, quality Mickey Mouse movie.

The most important aspect of this is that George Lucas is retiring. While he will remain a 'creative consultant,' he's out. He took the money. Lots of money. He's going to go fiddle about, and Kennedy will make the big decisions from here on in. That means that George's presence will be felt, obliquely, during the making of Episode VII, but that he won't be pulling any strings. There's a treatment of some sort for the next trilogy, but it's hard to imagine Lucas, selling his company, convincing Disney to agree to more fucking trade embargoes. We finally got what we wanted: Star Wars out of Lucas' hands.

Oh, and this means we'll be getting the original Star Wars trilogy - unfucked with, old FX - on Blu at some point in 2014/2015. Bank on it.

What's next is this: Lucasfilm will try to find a huge, quality filmmaker to make Episode VII. I would be shocked if Kennedy hadn't already had lunch with Spielberg (I'd bet he turned her right down, but who knows). This is going to be the assignment to get for a whole generation of filmmakers who grew up in the shadows of the original trilogy.

I hope none of them take it. I hope Rian Johnson doesn't make Star Wars: Episode VII. I hope Joe Cornish or Edgar Wright don't take it. I hope Guillermo del Toro doesn't take it. We're too happy to throw our best filmmakers in to the franchise system maw for selfish reasons. I want that to stop - I want great filmmakers to make great movies, not great entries in big corporate franchises. But yeah, I wouldn't hold it against them if they took the payday to play in the sandbox.

The larger point of the whole deal for me is this: Star Wars is dead. Allowing it to fester with the Prequels as the last word will not help. The smart, aggressive new Disney is just about the best possible way to bring the franchise back, to breathe new life into a property that shouldn't have come to that place. A property that was, I believe, cynically ground into pulp by its creator. Yes, Disney will exploit Star Wars in a big way - but no bigger than Lucas ever has. The deluge of bed sheets and toilet paper will be no different. What will be different is that there will be new, hopefully good, stories. Told by people who love the universe in a way Lucas no longer does.

So for me it's a clean slate moving forward. I'm hopeful for Episode VII. I'm trusting that Disney's TV plans will work. I'm open to going back to that galaxy far, far away.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/10/30/star-wars-is-saved/

www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:58 pm »
Bit off topic, but when the first Star Wars film was released was it at the time call Episode 4?
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 11:28:51 pm »
Bit off topic, but when the first Star Wars film was released was it at the time call Episode 4?

I think the original theatrical release was just titled Star Wars in the opening crawl, but in the re-release, it was amended to Episode IV - A New Hope.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 11:29:44 pm »
Very much doubt it. Probably Lucas ran out of ways to change (i.e. screw up) the films in a few more ways, adding more redundant CGI, to then be able to resell again on DVD, etc...

He probably still thinks his Anakin/Padme relationship was very romantic and the dialogue just right. Delusional people like that don't change.
yeah, true. I do wonder if he's seen that review, though. It's more or less the most scathing and analytical dissection of a film out there. I personally think it's a good thing they're having another crack at 3 new films. It needed to be done, if only to banish those other 3 terrible efforts from memory.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 11:35:32 pm »
Lucas did a shocking job on the prequel trilogy anyway, fucking dirge and I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Excited to see the direction Disney can take it.

Offline CarlitoB

• [color=white]CT fucked about with in unoriginal manner.[/color] Likes to brew up a storm in a teacup... (no one died in the making of this CT)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 11:36:18 pm »
If Lucas genuinely does stay in the background, if they hammer out good scripts and they hire directors strong enough to say no to him if he tries to get too involved (it's still his creation, he's going to have some say) then this could be fantastic news.

Lot of "ifs" there though.  We'll just have to wait and see...
"God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that."

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 11:42:06 pm »
yeah, true. I do wonder if he's seen that review, though. It's more or less the most scathing and analytical dissection of a film out there. I personally think it's a good thing they're having another crack at 3 new films. It needed to be done, if only to banish those other 3 terrible efforts from memory.

I was very impressed with just how thorough the reviews were and how incisive. It confirmed a lot of my own criticisms and highlighted a lot I'd not thought about but which made perfect sense after he did.

For his own sake Lucas would be very well served if he had watched them. In fact, I think if you stripped the mock shock horror from them then they'd make great mandatory viewing at any film school for any future director/writer.

Maybe they could do a reboot of I to III with Christopher Nolan in charge. Nice and dark and no mita-bloody-chlorins in sight. ;)

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 11:44:42 pm »
I think the original theatrical release was just titled Star Wars in the opening crawl, but in the re-release, it was amended to Episode IV - A New Hope.

Mostly because there was only one film ever planned at the start (incest really by design George?), and then it became a trilogy once the first succeeded. Finally it became a 9 part serial with 6 actually shot.

Nothing like fancy improv, shame his actual film making wasn't as good.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 11:51:38 pm »

Yeah this what I was going to ask because I remember years ago being given a graphic novel by my cousin which said that the Empire wasn't defeated like we saw at the end of Episode 6 with everyone partying that was just the beginning of the end. Don't know how true that is.

There's the "expanded universe" which is basically all the official stuff that isn't in the films (books, graphic novels, games etc.).
Short story is that after Episode 6, there's a split - the Rebels set up a "New Republic", but some planets stay with the Empire (or what's left of it).

To be honest, I haven't really kept up with any of the expansion stuff for about 12 years - by which time the books covered 20+ years after the last film, and it's kept going since.
So there's a lot of material for new films out there. However, I think they'd probably be better off just cherry-picking bits and pieces rather than trying to follow anything too closely  - a bit like the Marvel films have done.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 11:58:04 pm »
Hopefully Disney will see to it that people will get the option of having a bluray dvd set of the Original Trilogy - remastered and in anamorphic - with no tinkering or added CGI since before the '97 Special Editions.

Films as the classics they were as people originally remember them - available for the first time done properly - Disney could well get a lot of fans on board for their proposed new Trilogy (and a lot of money to help fund them from sales) if they did that.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2012, 12:01:13 am »

Its going to be a remake of The Empire Strikes Back. Spoiler Alert: Luke finds out that Mickey Mouse is his father.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2012, 12:01:34 am »
There's the "expanded universe" which is basically all the official stuff that isn't in the films (books, graphic novels, games etc.).
Short story is that after Episode 6, there's a split - the Rebels set up a "New Republic", but some planets stay with the Empire (or what's left of it).

To be honest, I haven't really kept up with any of the expansion stuff for about 12 years - by which time the books covered 20+ years after the last film, and it's kept going since.
So there's a lot of material for new films out there. However, I think they'd probably be better off just cherry-picking bits and pieces rather than trying to follow anything too closely  - a bit like the Marvel films have done.

It all had to be approved, certainly the outlines and character events so it's all canon if they want to cherry pick. Like you, I read some a long time ago and it has grown immensely since then.

With regards to the Empire not being defeated, well the Imperial squadron around the death star is just a small percentage of the Imperial forces. Yes, Palpatine and Vader are dead but there are a lot of ships and troopers out there with capable admiral/generals. Stands to reason the empire would splinter as the most capable/ruthless try to carve out their own empires, and the New Republic the enemy of all these forces.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2012, 12:08:48 am »
License to print money as they will probably make that 4B back in no time. Every Star Wars geek just shot their load.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2012, 12:14:53 am »

Pizza rolls - come get your pizza rolls.

Don't worry - he'll send you some in the post :)

Hadn't realised he'd done a review of The Clone Wars too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBbm8P6wkMM&feature=related
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2012, 12:22:20 am »
But doesn't this mean that Indiana Jones will also come under Disney's remit?

Zak McCraken and the Alien Mindbenders too, I'd imagine.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2012, 12:34:51 am »
I dont know how anyone can be happy with this.

If they reboot it fine, but if they try and just add on to the previous 6 its just going to be shit and ruin it.
thats already happened.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 12:35:23 am »
probably the best thing that’s happened to it in ages. George Lucas was never a very good director, he was a bit of a make it up as he goes along. At least disney won’t make it turn to shit, like what they’re doing with Marvel and Pixar - and to be honest, the next film might be quite good

Worth the 4 billion to stop Lucas getting near it
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2012, 12:45:09 am »
Lucas did a shocking job on the prequel trilogy anyway, fucking dirge and I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Excited to see the direction Disney can take it.

The saddest thing is, if the rumors were true, Spielberg wanted to and would have directed the prequels if Lucas would only have asked.

Fucking monumental hubris.

Anyone know or heard the latest on the live action tv series? Will this deal kill it?

Also - if he doesn't own the rights anymore can Disney go back and fix the Han not shooting first and other meddled garbage?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:46:57 am by stoopid yank »
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2012, 12:51:58 am »
This article sums up what I've been thinking pretty well. Although I would love to see an Edgar Wright Star Wars film...
Interesting. I like this bit :-

Oh, and this means we'll be getting the original Star Wars trilogy - unfucked with, old FX - on Blu at some point in 2014/2015. Bank on it.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2012, 12:55:38 am »
Best thing is we get years of speculation and talk about it, woooooooooooo hoooooooooo
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2012, 12:57:03 am »
Disney could probably make a fair chunk of change back by just releasing the original films on DVD/Blu-Ray without all the modifications Lucas has added over the years.