Author Topic: Star Wars Universe lastest news  (Read 368490 times)

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Star Wars Universe lastest news
« Reply #3560 on: January 24, 2022, 12:00:21 pm »
Is the new series available anywhere in the UK. Think it's called discovery. With the ship that jumps through some network. Went all alternative universe for half a series.

It is on netflix.
Apart from the opening credits and the CGI, it is really, really awful. The ship travels through a space mushroom network. The writers were on them when they came up with the scripts.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3561 on: January 25, 2022, 03:40:36 pm »
It is on netflix.
Apart from the opening credits and the CGI, it is really, really awful. The ship travels through a space mushroom network. The writers were on them when they came up with the scripts.

Nope, due to Paramount+ intending to launch outside of the states at some point, they pulled Discovery off Netflix a couple of days before the new season was due to start.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3562 on: January 26, 2022, 09:59:57 am »
Boba Fett Ep 5

Spoiler
"Hey, look everyone. It's Mando." Thank fuck!

Probably not great that the best episode of this show is one where the title character doesn't show up.  ;D

[close]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 10:01:28 am by Red Viper or RedViper87 please? Thanks x »

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3563 on: January 26, 2022, 10:06:09 am »
Soundtrack is fantastic to this series. Sound design in general. Also Danny Trejo!

Vespa gang are a bit shiny and jarring. Still good fun though.

That was possibly the worst chase scene in the history of television.
So far Disney have handled Star Wars about as well as Everton handle Anfield.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3564 on: January 26, 2022, 11:40:05 am »
Boba Fett Ep 5

Spoiler
"Hey, look everyone. It's Mando." Thank fuck!

Probably not great that the best episode of this show is one where the title character doesn't show up.  ;D

[close]

Yeah that was an incredible episode from start to finish, kudos to Bryce Dallas Howard for directing it

Spoiler
Just of the wrong show :lmao
[close]
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3565 on: January 26, 2022, 11:56:09 am »
Yeah that was an incredible episode from start to finish, kudos to Bryce Dallas Howard for directing it

It's amazing how these complete unknowns with no industry contacts get these chances :D

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3566 on: January 26, 2022, 12:11:53 pm »

When I was watching that chase scene I thought it was very Spy Kids and then I saw who directed the episode!

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #3567 on: January 26, 2022, 02:23:30 pm »
Re Boba Ep 5.

Spoiler
At least they can still make good Mando episodes!
[close]

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #3568 on: January 26, 2022, 07:31:02 pm »
Well, that was a massive improvement in quality (ep 5)
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3569 on: January 26, 2022, 07:42:44 pm »
fun tv this week. unsurprisingly, hitting yourself in the leg with that thing (hey look vague enough to not be a spoiler) looks like it's a bad idea.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3570 on: January 27, 2022, 09:40:20 am »

Hard disagree - Disney's *films* - yep, not great (still miles better than Lucas' last work on the prequel trilogy though).  Outside of the films we've had:

• The 6th and 7th seasons of Clone Wars  - amazing, maybe less consistent (at the start) compared to seasons 2-4, but the high points in season 7 (last 3-4 episodes) are probably the single best thing SW has ever done, even including the OT
  • Rebels - gosh darn great - pretty close to being as good as Clone Wars were at their heights
  • Resistance  - ok this 1 is definitely awful - probably the worst thing SWs  have ever done on screen
  • Mandalorian - amazing.  Best live action SW stuff since the original trilogy, and some bits are even better than the original
  • Bad Batch - I really enjoyed it, although I know that some thought it didn't focus enough on the BB themselves and too much on Omega.  Still had some great episodes
  • Visions - not seen yet, but the reviews are pretty decent, and an imdb score of 7.1 doesn't indicate it is anything other than pretty good
  • Boba Fett - I've enjoyed it, but I know others haven't.  This is only 5 epidoes in anyway, so seems harsh to criticisie it too heavily.  Still better than Prequel trilogy

So by my money, that's a pretty darn high hit rate, spoiled by Resistance being awful shit, and the sequel trilogy not living up to some fans' idealized hero worship of Luke.

Compare that to the stuff Lucas Arts made after ROTJ in 1983 -

• Christmas Special - awful, awful shit, worst thing ever made in the SW universe
  • Ewoks Adventure - pretty bad, but maybe marginally better than the Xmas Special
  • Ewols: The Battle for Endor - pretty bad, but maybe marginally better than the Xmas Special
  • Droids and Ewoks - not seen it myself, but reviews are all, at best, mediocre, and having a imdb score of 6 (better than the 3 points above) put it at lower than *anything* Disney has done, other than Resistance
  • The Pre-quel trilogy - better than the 4 things above, but still not good, and worse than anything Disney have done other than Resistance
  • Clone Wars Film - very mediocre, about a little poorer than the prequel trilogy and another imdb score of 6
  • Clone Wars TV show (seasons 1-5) - amazing, as a consistent product absolutely the best thing post Star Wars OT - and something Lucas had nothing to do with (thankfully) - all Dave Filoni.  AS I said, the absolute peak of the entire thing is probably the last 3 episodes of s7 under Disney, but then there is a drop off to the rest of S6/7 - whereas there were more consistency and more great episodes in the first 5

So thats, other than Clone Wars (TV) a pretty terrible hit rate - ouside of the Clone Wars TV show, I'd actually argue every single thing is worse than almost anything Disney has put out, including movies and tv, other than Resistance.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #3571 on: January 27, 2022, 12:01:52 pm »

So by my money, that's a pretty darn high hit rate, spoiled by Resistance being awful shit, and the sequel trilogy not living up to some fans' idealized hero worship of Luke.

Respect to you for defending SW but wow, what a bad take. There was so, so, so much wrong with the Sequels just on a basic planning level, let alone characterisation. They made it all up as they went along.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3572 on: January 27, 2022, 12:16:35 pm »
uh oh that can of worms is almost open yet again

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3573 on: January 27, 2022, 12:37:37 pm »
The Clone Wars was George Lucas idea and he hired Dave Filoni to create the show with him so he was quite hands on initially.

Also the two Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series were really good as well. (not sure if they are considered canon anymore)
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3574 on: January 27, 2022, 02:29:40 pm »
Respect to you for defending SW but wow, what a bad take. There was so, so, so much wrong with the Sequels just on a basic planning level, let alone characterisation. They made it all up as they went along.

It amazes me that they didn't have a fucking plan for that entire trilogy in advance, it seems like an obvious move, you have TFA linking to the past and setting stuff up for the rest of the trilogy, the next one should build on the setup before bringing it all together in the third one.

Instead you had the idiocy of Johnson seemingly not wanting to be actually making the second film in a trilogy and then Abrams trying to squash two movies worth of buildup and conclusion into one movie while also retconning stuff from the second one.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3575 on: January 27, 2022, 02:36:00 pm »

Agreed. I'm hardly a massive fan of Luke but I'd readily agree with the sentiment that both his character and journey were brutally undermined by these movies.

Anyway, you can't handwave it away as all just Luke fanboys whining, anymore than people who tried to say it was all just racists/mysoginists who had issues with Rey/Finn/Rose etc. I've never seen any overall-positive critical analysis of the sequels, just people who claim to have enjoyed them whilst having a pop at dissenting opinions, or who tried to defend TLJ purely for 'subverting expectations' as if that's enough on its own (how's that Rian Johnson trilogy coming guys, must be due for release any time now?). The miscommunication across the plots of the movies alone is enough to sink this project, let alone the actual content we got.

Disney's overally handling of Star Wars has probably been a cut above averagely mediocre, but given that it's their big blockbuster centrepieces that drag it all down you can't blame people for having a lowered opinion - not all casual moviegoers are going to seek out cartoons or live action TV.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3576 on: January 27, 2022, 02:36:27 pm »
Hard disagree - Disney's *films* - yep, not great (still miles better than Lucas' last work on the prequel trilogy though).  Outside of the films we've had:

• The 6th and 7th seasons of Clone Wars  - amazing, maybe less consistent (at the start) compared to seasons 2-4, but the high points in season 7 (last 3-4 episodes) are probably the single best thing SW has ever done, even including the OT
  • Rebels - gosh darn great - pretty close to being as good as Clone Wars were at their heights
  • Resistance  - ok this 1 is definitely awful - probably the worst thing SWs  have ever done on screen
  • Mandalorian - amazing.  Best live action SW stuff since the original trilogy, and some bits are even better than the original
  • Bad Batch - I really enjoyed it, although I know that some thought it didn't focus enough on the BB themselves and too much on Omega.  Still had some great episodes
  • Visions - not seen yet, but the reviews are pretty decent, and an imdb score of 7.1 doesn't indicate it is anything other than pretty good
  • Boba Fett - I've enjoyed it, but I know others haven't.  This is only 5 epidoes in anyway, so seems harsh to criticisie it too heavily.  Still better than Prequel trilogy

Compare that to the stuff Lucas Arts made after ROTJ in 1983 -

• Christmas Special - awful, awful shit, worst thing ever made in the SW universe
  • Ewoks Adventure - pretty bad, but maybe marginally better than the Xmas Special
  • Ewols: The Battle for Endor - pretty bad, but maybe marginally better than the Xmas Special
  • Droids and Ewoks - not seen it myself, but reviews are all, at best, mediocre, and having a imdb score of 6 (better than the 3 points above) put it at lower than *anything* Disney has done, other than Resistance
  • The Pre-quel trilogy - better than the 4 things above, but still not good, and worse than anything Disney have done other than Resistance
  • Clone Wars Film - very mediocre, about a little poorer than the prequel trilogy and another imdb score of 6
  • Clone Wars TV show (seasons 1-5) - amazing, as a consistent product absolutely the best thing post Star Wars OT - and something Lucas had nothing to do with (thankfully) - all Dave Filoni.  AS I said, the absolute peak of the entire thing is probably the last 3 episodes of s7 under Disney, but then there is a drop off to the rest of S6/7 - whereas there were more consistency and more great episodes in the first 5

So thats, other than Clone Wars (TV) a pretty terrible hit rate - ouside of the Clone Wars TV show, I'd actually argue every single thing is worse than almost anything Disney has put out, including movies and tv, other than Resistance.

mmm, I think I may have to take advantage of our disney+ subscription. I was thinking of watching solo for the second time tonight, but it seems there's a load of stuff to occupy me while BoBF is released.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3577 on: January 27, 2022, 02:39:54 pm »
Agreed. I'm hardly a massive fan of Luke but I'd readily agree with the sentiment that both his character and journey were brutally undermined by these movies.

Anyway, you can't handwave it away as all just Luke fanboys whining, anymore than people who tried to say it was all just racists/mysoginists who had issues with Rey/Finn/Rose etc. I've never seen any overall-positive critical analysis of the sequels, just people who claim to have enjoyed them whilst having a pop at dissenting opinions, or who tried to defend TLJ purely for 'subverting expectations' as if that's enough on its own (how's that Rian Johnson trilogy coming guys, must be due for release any time now?). The miscommunication across the plots of the movies alone is enough to sink this project, let alone the actual content we got.

Disney's overally handling of Star Wars has probably been a cut above averagely mediocre, but given that it's their big blockbuster centrepieces that drag it all down you can't blame people for having a lowered opinion - not all casual moviegoers are going to seek out cartoons or live action TV.

The three Disney films have some great moments in them. And the feelgood factor with the first one will be long remembered. But mostly they were very badly planned out.

Would love to be living in a parallel universe where that The force awakens is just about to be released. Not so much because we could get better episodes 8 and 9, but because it would be great to have all that buzz after covid.
Bit like winning the league now, with crowds would have been better than when we did. Though that league win probably kept many of us sane during the lockdowns.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3578 on: January 27, 2022, 02:49:58 pm »
The main thing Disney needs to be able to do with Star Wars is to move past this filling in the gaps phase, putting out some post sequels content. It doesn't have to be the only content, still room for the existing stuff, but after the mess of the sequel trilogy, they should be aiming to build a solid foundation of well-planned shows and movies that can move that universe on past the Skywalker era.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3579 on: January 27, 2022, 02:52:00 pm »
Anyway it was good this week. Pleased that the new Lego game finally has a release date after 18 months of delay as well.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3580 on: January 27, 2022, 03:43:05 pm »
The three Disney films have some great moments in them. And the feelgood factor with the first one will be long remembered. But mostly they were very badly planned out.

Would love to be living in a parallel universe where that The force awakens is just about to be released. Not so much because we could get better episodes 8 and 9, but because it would be great to have all that buzz after covid.
Bit like winning the league now, with crowds would have been better than when we did. Though that league win probably kept many of us sane during the lockdowns.

The disney films also have Rogue One - which is probably the 3rd best film in the entire SW cannon (for me it's slightly better than A New Hope, but below ROTJ and ESB).  Solo was only "ok" - which was a real pity as it had great casting but not great writing - but even that was better than Episodes 1-3 and the Clone War Animated Film.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3581 on: January 27, 2022, 05:06:35 pm »
The problem was Solo due to reshoots was one of the most expensive films of all time and was an absolute bomb at the box office. They effectively cancelled the whole 'Star Wars Stories' films after that. Think the only new film that's been announced since that period was Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron but that's now been postponed.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3582 on: January 27, 2022, 05:56:03 pm »
Anyway it was good this week. Pleased that the new Lego game finally has a release date after 18 months of delay as well.

Looks good, that ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kRHlJ3WwzDc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kRHlJ3WwzDc</a>

And three more new Star Wars gaming being worked on; a first person shooter, a strategy game, and 'Jedi: Faller Order II' - www.starwars.com/news/ea-lucasfilm-games

Plus the 'open world' game already in development from Ubisoft, new High Republic game, the KOTOR remake, and a few others in the pipeline... and it is finally, finally looking up for Star Wars games...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 04:37:20 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3583 on: January 28, 2022, 12:12:47 am »
Think the only new film that's been announced since that period was Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron but that's now been postponed.

I think you've forgotten these announced theatrical films mate...

Taika Waititi’s theatrical film project
Kevin Feige theatrical film project
JD Dillard & Matt Owens theatrical film project

Kenobi was also originally down as being a theatrical film - before evolving into a Disney+ series.
Having said that, there was also a Boba Fett theatrical film being planned before it - and some key ideas were resurrected and retuned - to become The Mandalorian series.

Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron film is also now back on track (she has dropped out of other projects to focus on Wonder Woman 3 and Rogue Squadron).

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 03:01:52 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3584 on: January 28, 2022, 10:17:23 pm »
I think you've forgotten these announced theatrical films mate...

Taika Waititi’s theatrical film project
Kevin Feige theatrical film project
JD Dillard & Matt Owens theatrical film project

Kenobi was also originally down as being a theatrical film - before evolving into a Disney+ series.
Having said that, there was also a Boba Fett theatrical film being planned before it - and some key ideas were resurrected and retuned - to become The Mandalorian series.

Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron film is also now back on track (she has dropped out of other projects to focus on Wonder Woman 3 and Rogue Squadron).

My mistake, its certainly the only one on the current line up were there's a name and a vague plot.

I worry with a Taika Waititi one that they'll potentially realise he's making a funny movie and sack him.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3585 on: January 29, 2022, 12:18:11 am »
My mistake, its certainly the only one on the current line up were there's a name and a vague plot.

I worry with a Taika Waititi one that they'll potentially realise he's making a funny movie and sack him.

They'll likely wait until he's filmed about 90% of the movie and then do it - just like with Solo ;)

(I thought Solo was decent - a little muddled in parts, the lighting was weird, but a decent enough fun romp. I wish we'd have had the planned two Solo sequels - given all the 'box ticking origin story' was already completed in the first film. Plus we'd have got more Lando and some of the newly introduced characters too. - and a bit more freedom for intriguing and engaging stories.)

Offline lobsterboy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3586 on: January 29, 2022, 10:53:40 am »
The problem was Solo due to reshoots was one of the most expensive films of all time and was an absolute bomb at the box office. They effectively cancelled the whole 'Star Wars Stories' films after that. Think the only new film that's been announced since that period was Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron but that's now been postponed.

Thought Solo was better than any of the sequel trilogy. Could have done without Waller-Bridges character though.
I was excited about Rogue Squadron until I saw Wonder Woman 2. Less so after that.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3587 on: January 29, 2022, 12:12:19 pm »
Solo was fine but the "how Han got his name" scene was the single worst thing to ever happen in the history of cinema.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3588 on: January 29, 2022, 12:54:10 pm »
solo was an enjoyable watch but fitting everything that until that point had been mentioned about his origins into that short a period of time seemed like a bad idea.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3589 on: January 29, 2022, 01:05:21 pm »
Solo got killed coming out just a few months after The Last Jedi and into cinemas around the same time as Avengers Infinity War.

I know historically May was always the Star Wars release dates but Force Awakens, Rogue One, and Last Jedi all made over $1 billion at the box office in the proceeding years coming out in December.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3590 on: January 29, 2022, 01:18:14 pm »
Solo got killed coming out just a few months after The Last Jedi and into cinemas around the same time as Avengers Infinity War.

I know historically May was always the Star Wars release dates but Force Awakens, Rogue One, and Last Jedi all made over $1 billion at the box office in the proceeding years coming out in December.

TROS too - www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt2527338

I'll give Iger, CEO of Disney, some credit for taking the blame and responsibility for the bad timing release of Solo...

“I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast,”. “You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna make films.”

“We are just at the point where we're gonna start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.’s,” (TROS). “But I think we're gonna be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.”

^ from www.empireonline.com/movies/news/disney-ceo-bob-iger-takes-blame-much-star-wars-soon (from September 2018)

'Big Empire | The Book of Boba Fett | Disney+' - a 30 second trailer from the official Star Wars youtube channel:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KH7gBi5xW7A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KH7gBi5xW7A</a>

Roll on Wednesday... ;D

« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:04:21 pm by oojason »

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3591 on: January 30, 2022, 01:06:41 pm »

True, it was really weird timing, especially as there wasn't a SW film scheduled for later that year. The hype over Infinity War hadn't subsided by the time it came out, and also Deadpool 2 was out just a week earlier.

I remember the months following Last Jedi well, the threats of boycotts over Disney Star Wars etc. As I said at the time, regardless of your personal opinion over the movie itself, having a fanbase so divided and reacting in such a way couldn't remotely be seen as a positive for the franchise moving forward.

My take on Solo is still that it's fine. It's an okay movie that I have no dislike of, but am unlikely to ever watch again. The coolest bits were the brief confirmation in canon of the Imperial Army as a thing rather that the Empire (and all its derivatives) just being made up of 100% Stormtroopers, 100% of the time. Seeing different parts of the galaxy was cool too, but the Mandalorian has come along and done the same, so it's less special now.

On the subject of Han, I've read both of the earlier Solo book trilogies and they're more interesting, for anyone interested in those advenures, synopses can be found online:

The Han Solo Adventures published in 1979/80 (so before ESB) and take place in non-Imperial parts of the galaxy such as the Corporate Sector. Feature a droid called Bollux (seriously).

The Han Solo Trilogy published 1997/98 and fit around the earlier stories rather than replacing them. Han's love interest Bria ends up as one of the Rebels who stole the Death Star plans (in one of the many different stories of how that happened).

Solo was fine but the "how Han got his name" scene was the single worst thing to ever happen in the history of cinema.

Personally I can't get over "This is how we win, Finn". Everything about that scene defies rational explanation in or out of lore, and portrays Rose as both incompetent and obsessively creepy. I get that Rose lost her sister and so doesn't want to lose anyone else close to her, but her actions literally and obviously would have doomed ALL the people close to her had multiple others not bailed her out (in events she had no idea were about to transpire).
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3592 on: January 30, 2022, 11:48:03 pm »
Personally I can't get over "This is how we win, Finn". Everything about that scene defies rational explanation in or out of lore, and portrays Rose as both incompetent and obsessively creepy. I get that Rose lost her sister and so doesn't want to lose anyone else close to her, but her actions literally and obviously would have doomed ALL the people close to her had multiple others not bailed her out (in events she had no idea were about to transpire).

The dialogue here was clumsily done, but I always thought that what happened before this exchange was pretty clear. Watch it again, Poe orders Finn to retreat and says something like "it's a suicide run", Rose says "it's too late". We see the cannon starting to fire and Finn's ship melting. Finn is oblivious to this, blinded by revenge and saying he "won't let them win". He's clearly just going to get himself killed for nothing, because he's too late to stop the cannon from firing. Rose is just stopping him from throwing his life away pointlessly. And Poe is learning to be more of a leader, recognising when it's time to disengage and not try to be the hero (unlike at the start of the film).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 11:51:32 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline lobsterboy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3593 on: January 31, 2022, 12:46:03 pm »
Visions was great. 
The prequels weren't great but still better than JJ's tripe. 
Only the Christmas special is worse than the sequels, though Disney could still knock that of its low perch with the Headland series. KK is all over that one.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3594 on: January 31, 2022, 08:55:55 pm »
Visions was great. 
The prequels weren't great but still better than JJ's tripe. 
Only the Christmas special is worse than the sequels, though Disney could still knock that of its low perch with the Headland series. KK is all over that one.

The sequels were a disjointed trilogy and they botched the final episode, but as individual films they're still better than the prequels. Characters, acting, dialogue, action and visuals were all better. Overall story wasn't.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3595 on: January 31, 2022, 10:02:26 pm »
I started a second watch of solo. Am enjoying it more than I should. Agree the name thing was shit. I see no reason to explain stuff about him though. Maybe an insight into his character and motivation.  I haven't got to it yet in this watch but I remember thinking the kessel run was stupidly forced. And the run itself being pretty poor. Maybe I should stop watching it while I am ahead.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3596 on: January 31, 2022, 11:34:59 pm »
They should've done a Lando movie with Han as a supporting character.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3597 on: February 1, 2022, 01:17:09 pm »
On the subject of Han, I've read both of the earlier Solo book trilogies and they're more interesting, for anyone interested in those advenures, synopses can be found online:

The Han Solo Adventures published in 1979/80 (so before ESB) and take place in non-Imperial parts of the galaxy such as the Corporate Sector. Feature a droid called Bollux (seriously).

The Han Solo Trilogy published 1997/98 and fit around the earlier stories rather than replacing them. Han's love interest Bria ends up as one of the Rebels who stole the Death Star plans (in one of the many different stories of how that happened).

Brian Daley, the author of the Han Solo trilogy of books, was quite something - he also did the Star Wars Radio Dramas - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(radio_series)

Have you read 'The Lando Calrissian Adventures' trilogy of books by L Neil Smith? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lando_Calrissian#The_Lando_Calrissian_Adventures - they were a decent and intriguing read too, and all released in 1983 - I hope we see some nods to them in the new Lando series.

Or vibes similar to this piece of quality fan work - https://geektyrant.com/news/fan-made-poster-art-for-the-calrissian-chronicles-star-wars-trilogy :-

I still find it surprising there were only a total of 10 Star Wars novels (including the 3 OT film novelisations) from 1976 to 1983 - and then there was nothing new at all... until 1991:-

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-early-years-of-Star-Wars-novels-1976-1990-or-rather-1976-1983/id/90003

I started a second watch of solo. Am enjoying it more than I should. Agree the name thing was shit. I see no reason to explain stuff about him though. Maybe an insight into his character and motivation.  I haven't got to it yet in this watch but I remember thinking the kessel run was stupidly forced. And the run itself being pretty poor. Maybe I should stop watching it while I am ahead.

Fulfil your destiny and watch the entire Solo film once more. Dew it - or something ;)

(Han Shot First!)

« Last Edit: February 1, 2022, 10:59:43 pm by oojason »

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3598 on: February 2, 2022, 11:22:22 am »
Spoiler
Another great episode of The Book of Boba Fett where the main character barely features.

Seeing Luke train Grogu was cool, although I don't understand why they don't just cast Sebastian Stan as young Luke, I find the de-aged VFX version so incredibly distracting, and he's next to a puppet doing flips for gods sake. Nice to see Ahsoka back, and a reference to Anakin.

Ermagerd, Cad Bane aaaahhhhh! His face looks a bit smushed compared to the animation, but still, can't believe they're brought him in. I don't remember if he and Boba interacted in The Clone Wars, I recall a cool deleted scene, but my memory is shite.
[close]
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3599 on: February 2, 2022, 04:47:35 pm »
Brian Daley, the author of the Han Solo trilogy of books, was quite something - he also did the Star Wars Radio Dramas - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(radio_series)

Have you read 'The Lando Calrissian Adventures' trilogy of books by L Neil Smith? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lando_Calrissian#The_Lando_Calrissian_Adventures - they were a decent and intriguing read too, and all released in 1983 - I hope we see some nods to them in the new Lando series.

Or vibes similar to this piece of quality fan work - https://geektyrant.com/news/fan-made-poster-art-for-the-calrissian-chronicles-star-wars-trilogy :-

I still find it surprising there were only a total of 10 Star Wars novels (including the 3 OT film novelisations) from 1976 to 1983 - and then there was nothing new at all... until 1991:-

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-early-years-of-Star-Wars-novels-1976-1990-or-rather-1976-1983/id/90003

Fulfil your destiny and watch the entire Solo film once more. Dew it - or something ;)

(Han Shot First!)

Thank you,that poster art looks fantastic,you hardly see that sort of quality anymore and i quite miss those.