Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
For Liverpool, he's 12.66 goals under what he should be in the Premier League. We've just heard that 3500 minutes is enough of a sample size to be sure about something, so I think that tells us he's considerably below average at finishing.

No he isn't?  Understat is not a particularly good xG to use, as if there are two shots (one being saved by the keeper, who parries it to the same player say) they can have an xG of >1 - when it is obvious that you can only score 1 goal - so even if they score it, they have still under-performed the model!  So you in the case of strikers where they put a lot of their shots close enough to the keeper to save, and rebound (as opposed to hitting them high and wide), understat will quite often be significantly higher in the xG.  Whereas fbref, and the like, have him on a much more sensible npxG of 26.3 compared to his 20 goals.

The thing is, finishing *can* be learnt - Suarez for instance was about as good a finisher for us over his first 2 seasons as Nunez (he was, before you tgry and argue otherwise), but then it clicked and he exploded.  Ditto someone like Forlan - at United, getting loads of good chances but always getting unlucky; left United and in a team where he felt more comfortable it clicked, and he was a top 5 player in the world for 5+ years.  And Nunez is still only 24.

What the stats also tell us is he is a creative *GOD*, this season especially - which none of Gakpo, Diaz or Jota are particularly good at.  So the question then becomes - does his creativity outweight his (for now) poorer finishing, and can his finishing be improved.  My argument (as is many on here) is yes to the first, and probably yes to the second.  He has hit the post 12 times right?  Now some of those were world class keeping; which is unlucky.  But even on those others - hitting the post means you were only 2-3 inches away from scoring - I'd argue that someone who does hit the post a lot is more likely to be able to make that final 1% adjustment and start banging them in, compared to someone who misses more often by not hitting the target.

Also Lallana - your point about stats people being less excited about him isn't a contradiction - its consistency. It was an over-performance likely caused by variance, just as his premier league time is under-performance likely caused by variance. What the stats guys were worried about was that he looked better than he was combined with the assumption that his underlying numbers would likely drop after moving to a better league. Its the latter point which was wrong - not the former - he maintained his excellent under-lying numbers.

You call it consistency; I call it smartarsery and stupidity. If he was still overperforming his xG, those same people would probably still be warning that he's on a hot streak and the end of the world is soon upon us.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Last post by newterp on Today at 04:39:12 pm »
Nuts, now we're talking. They're tasty and full of protein. High xFat though.

there are jokes here to be made. granted very childish ones - but they are there nonetheless!
Admire people's optimism here after a lot of people claimed we would smash United (twice), Atalanta would be done in the first leg and Palace would be easy ;D

Both the team and we as supporter's could do with some humbleness for a change.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Last post by newterp on Today at 04:38:00 pm »
Brighton just gave their players a 2-3 days mini-break so they can refreshed to get top 4.

Well they certainly aren't getting top 4 - but anything that make a tough game for Abu Dhabi - let's gooooo!
Hate that I have time for Rory Stewart but as Tories go he at least isn't super evil/completely incompetent. Which is why he failed as an mp
This thread is nuts.

Nuts, now we're talking. They're tasty and full of protein. High xFat though.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Last post by newterp on Today at 04:36:38 pm »
This thread is nuts.
Mane wasn't more prolific though, for pretty much all of his career.  Not at all.  After his second season, for instance, he'd played a little over 4400 minutes, and was averaging a goal every 192.4 mins, or a goal involvement every 126.4.  At this point, with Nunez being mostly labelled as a flop last season, and a lot of people on here (including you) looking like you want rid of him, averages a goal every 178.6 and a goal involvement every 115.2.  In 2 of his other 4 seasons he averaged a goal every 177 mins or worse twice (and after that, his creation went way down).  Only in one season did he have a goal involvement better than one every 120 mins - and nothing close to Nunez's hot season this one with his crazy assists.
Nope.

And when I say prolific, I mean ability in front of goal. Whether running through on goal or reacting inside the box, Mane was more skilled in that way than Nunez is, in my opinion. I think it would be churlish not to consider the amount of work Mane did for us in terms of build-up, tracking back and predominantly playing in a wide position, too. He was a phenomenal footballer - almost the perfect forward, as Trent called him recently.
When’s the last time these lost by 4 goals at home or even 3 to force extra time?

Probably a while ago but when's the last time we lost 3-0 at home? :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10