Author Topic: Lost Scouse Lingo  (Read 301175 times)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: Lost Scouse Lingo
« Reply #1080 on: May 3, 2019, 01:13:13 am »
Next week ... the lads will be on Blob !
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1081 on: May 3, 2019, 10:41:00 am »
Skiddies in your grundies..maybe grundies was just a family thing.

Grundies was fairly common when I was young. Derived from Bill Grundy I assume, hence a similarly frequent use of the word 'bills' to describe undies. I also recall the use of the more elaborate term 'piss stain Bills'. Simpler times.  ;)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1082 on: May 3, 2019, 11:38:29 am »
Grundies was fairly common when I was young. Derived from Bill Grundy I assume, hence a similarly frequent use of the word 'bills' to describe undies. I also recall the use of the more elaborate term 'piss stain Bills'. Simpler times.  ;)

Aye or Solomons too..still widely used i think Bins=spectacles/glasses.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: May 3, 2019, 09:55:55 pm »

Bills is 100% Scouse.

So many times I've said to a non Liverpool girfriend .

Where's me bills or are me bills dry yet ?

It was always met with a look of confusion .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #1084 on: May 4, 2019, 08:47:42 pm »
Has 'skinny ma links' been mentioned yet?
Can remember using it as a skit at skinny mates when I was young; don't know if it was just a Liverpool thing though.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1085 on: May 30, 2019, 11:25:05 am »
Maybe not lost but fuck i haven't heard it for ages..

Doing a job earlier..this fella says 'alright'...

I says 'yeah good thanks,how are you'?

'Sound as a pound' was the reply..

Sounded like a Scandinavian or somewhere alike..defo had a Molby twang about him,loved seeing him embracing our lingo!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1086 on: May 30, 2019, 12:49:18 pm »
Maybe not lost but fuck i haven't heard it for ages..

Doing a job earlier..this fella says 'alright'...

I says 'yeah good thanks,how are you'?

'Sound as a pound' was the reply..

Sounded like a Scandinavian or somewhere alike..defo had a Molby twang about him,loved seeing him embracing our lingo!

Ha ha love it. I always think that expression was most popular with that generation after the Beatles but before punk. Only because my family from that era were always using it, and the expression "the gear" when something was boss, and "he's a case him" when someone was a bit of a rapscallion  :D

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1087 on: May 30, 2019, 02:27:24 pm »
Ha ha love it. I always think that expression was most popular with that generation after the Beatles but before punk. Only because my family from that era were always using it, and the expression "the gear" when something was boss, and "he's a case him" when someone was a bit of a rapscallion  :D

:D
Yep from what i took from 'he's a case him' was the person in question was a cheeky c*nt!
Back to 'Jan' who i bumped into earlier..when he said 'sound as a pound' he may have forced it a bit,put it on heavier doing his best scouse impression an all that..after saying it he was keen to see my reaction & yeah..both buzzed off each other for a few seconds!  ;D

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1088 on: May 30, 2019, 06:43:13 pm »
Probably already been done, but my Granddad always called the Bizzies the 'Scuffers'

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: May 30, 2019, 07:09:58 pm »
:D
Yep from what i took from 'he's a case him' was the person in question was a cheeky c*nt!
Back to 'Jan' who i bumped into earlier..when he said 'sound as a pound' he may have forced it a bit,put it on heavier doing his best scouse impression an all that..after saying it he was keen to see my reaction & yeah..both buzzed off each other for a few seconds!  ;D

ha ha - Did you ever come across the bouncers in Amsterdam that could do really good Scouse accents just like Jan

Offline Teacher

• Pair Ant Even Ink
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1090 on: May 31, 2019, 05:49:36 pm »
Has 'skinny ma links' been mentioned yet?
Can remember using it as a skit at skinny mates when I was young; don't know if it was just a Liverpool thing though.

I remember this from my childhood in Northern Ireland (1970s), so not a phrase exclusive to Liverpool/Scouse.

Hadn`t heard it for years though and your post brought a smile to my face!

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1091 on: May 31, 2019, 08:10:21 pm »
ha ha - Did you ever come across the bouncers in Amsterdam that could do really good Scouse accents just like Jan

Bucket list Amsterdam..everyone i know can't believe i ain't been there,probably because i have never done drugs.  ???

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1092 on: June 1, 2019, 12:10:16 am »
Bucket list Amsterdam..everyone i know can't believe i ain't been there,probably because i have never done drugs.  ???

Yer can't say that

Mind you I laughed my bollocks off when my mam and dad told me they were going for a weekend ;D

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1093 on: June 3, 2019, 09:04:21 am »
On blob..blob on!

Or grundies known as a pair of skids
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #1094 on: June 7, 2019, 10:57:27 pm »
On blob..blob on!

Bill Grundy's > Undies
A pair of Bill's > Undies

Either/or
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: June 10, 2019, 09:37:34 pm »

I did Amsterdam with an ex who didn't drink/do drugs. Plenty to see if you aren't interested in that side of life.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: June 10, 2019, 10:14:15 pm »
meither

as in fuck off you mithering git

someone who is constantly at you

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1097 on: June 10, 2019, 11:03:57 pm »
Acting the goat, basically arsing around.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1098 on: June 11, 2019, 12:58:26 am »
Not lingo at all but..   who know's where the Dockers steps are ?

I'll give youse a clue .

They're South of Parly.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline lucabrasi

• sleepswiththefishes
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1099 on: July 15, 2019, 06:25:21 pm »
Noisy Oyster. Whenever I was loud. That’s what I was called.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: July 15, 2019, 09:41:30 pm »

I always remember people saying 'that's gear that' before people saying it's Boss, in fact when did 'Boss' start? Somewhere in the '80s I expect? For me 'he's a case' just means he's a headcase, could mean a cheeky fecker, or funny (comedy) or just a bit of a loon (Another expression). Either way, it described unusual behaviour.
 ;D

I was surprised to learn that 'scally' seems to be used throughout the North West nowadays, I watched a film called 'Spike Island' last night and Mancs were using it. I'm pretty sure it originated in Liverpool though as I don't remember it being used much elsewhere years ago.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1101 on: July 15, 2019, 09:52:32 pm »

I remember the first time I heard anyone use the expression Boss was from a lad I worked with in around '77.

Gear seemed to fall out of use as an alternative for being Great and became instead an alternative for Clobber and even for a shortwhile amongst some people, as a reference to a Score of say Cannabis resin.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #1102 on: July 15, 2019, 11:14:51 pm »
I remember the first time I heard anyone use the expression Boss was from a lad I worked with in around '77.

Gear seemed to fall out of use as an alternative for being Great and became instead an alternative for Clobber and even for a shortwhile amongst some people, as a reference to a Score of say Cannabis resin.
I reckon you're spot on with the '77 shout; first time I heard it too :thumbup
Spot on about gear being used for Red Leb or Morrocan Black as well  :wellin
So then... 'Spot on'... Lost Scouse Lingo?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1103 on: July 15, 2019, 11:23:18 pm »

I think I've mentioned on here before that many of these phrases seemed to originate in different areas of Liverpool and then either became de facto vernacular throughout Liverpool or got mutated to mean something else, a lost in translation sort of thing.

I really can't remember exactly when Spot On became common, certainly very early 70's as far as I was concerned, and I could be wrong but it seemed to gradually replace the expression dead right which I think we used to commonly use in the late 60's.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #1104 on: July 15, 2019, 11:41:07 pm »
I think I've mentioned on here before that many of these phrases seemed to originate in different areas of Liverpool and then either became de facto vernacular throughout Liverpool or got mutated to mean something else, a lost in translation sort of thing.

I really can't remember exactly when Spot On became common, certainly very early 70's as far as I was concerned, and I could be wrong but it seemed to gradually replace the expression dead right which I think we used to commonly use in the late 60's.
Spooky! ( sort of )
I was listening to my daughter practicing her guitar earlier.
When she finished playing her piece I said to her "That was dead good that."
She looked at me like I was an alien  :D
I had to explain the it meant really good  ;D

Online vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #1105 on: July 15, 2019, 11:46:27 pm »
That was 'bang on'...
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: July 16, 2019, 06:31:18 am »

I keep hearing 'spot on' in American things, I wonder if it's Irish 🤔 it proper grates when I hear them say it as well.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1107 on: July 16, 2019, 07:29:13 am »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: July 16, 2019, 07:34:48 am »
I always remember people saying 'that's gear that' before people saying it's Boss, in fact when did 'Boss' start? Somewhere in the '80s I expect? For me 'he's a case' just means he's a headcase, could mean a cheeky fecker, or funny (comedy) or just a bit of a loon (Another expression). Either way, it described unusual behaviour.
 ;D

I was surprised to learn that 'scally' seems to be used throughout the North West nowadays, I watched a film called 'Spike Island' last night and Mancs were using it. I'm pretty sure it originated in Liverpool though as I don't remember it being used much elsewhere years ago.

With Spike Island only being up the road in Widnes, the Mancs probably picked it up from the Scousers who went the gig. I've never heard a Manc use the word.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: July 17, 2019, 08:59:53 pm »
With Spike Island only being up the road in Widnes, the Mancs probably picked it up from the Scousers who went the gig. I've never heard a Manc use the word.

They used the term before getting Widnes and I must admit it was a bit odd, but was a film. What terms do the Mancs use for 'scally' then? I think they do have a term but I can't for the life of me think what it is, I should know as I went to University there.

In terms of that 'Spike Island' film, it was OK, nothing special but I did find the standoff between the Mancs and the Scouse security team on the bridge to the island quite amusing.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1110 on: July 17, 2019, 09:01:25 pm »
They used the term before getting Widnes and I must admit it was a bit odd, but was a film. What terms do the Mancs use for 'scally' then?

"Gallagher..."
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: July 17, 2019, 09:13:55 pm »
"Gallagher..."

I think they say 'Chav' come to think of it, but yeah both terms are interchangeable when referring to a certain Gallagher brother I think.
 ;D

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: July 18, 2019, 12:45:36 am »
Manc scallies were called the perry boys weren't they? defo robbed scally off us later on.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: July 25, 2019, 07:39:21 pm »
Bill Grundy's > Undies
A pair of Bill's > Undies

Either/or

Well I never, so that's where 'bills' comes from?!

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1114 on: July 30, 2019, 08:13:36 pm »
Well I never, so that's where 'bills' comes from?!
Sadly Liverpool has always been big on Country and Western music, and this resulted in all the jukeboxes in the pubs (of my youth) having, amongst others, loads of Jim Reeves records. One of them had the lines, "He wined them, and dined them and gave them lots of thrills. But the senoritas always wound up with his bills".

Always gave us lots of amusement that.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: July 30, 2019, 09:31:35 pm »
Manc scallies were called the perry boys weren't they? defo robbed scally off us later on.

I take it the Perry boys are Fred?

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
  • Talking about The Reds an tha....
« Reply #1116 on: July 30, 2019, 09:38:25 pm »
Don't know if already mentioned but when i was growing up 'me tart' to describe the wife/girlfriend was widely used...

I used it recently and got it down the banks for doing so from a much younger crowd - all who claimed they had never heard it/thought it was rude....

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: July 30, 2019, 09:41:45 pm »
Don't know if already mentioned but when i was growing up 'me tart' to describe the wife/girlfriend was widely used...

I used it recently and got it down the banks for doing so from a much younger crowd - all who claimed they had never heard it/thought it was rude....

As was "me bird" and, in the mid sixties "me beef".

Gone the way of casual homophobic and racist slang.

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
  • Talking about The Reds an tha....
« Reply #1118 on: July 30, 2019, 09:55:53 pm »
As was "me bird" and, in the mid sixties "me beef".

Gone the way of casual homophobic and racist slang.

Not in the same sphere IMHO, but hey.

Was always used as a term of endearment.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1119 on: July 30, 2019, 10:13:08 pm »
Not in the same sphere IMHO, but hey.

Was always used as a term of endearment.

Language is much more sensitised now.