Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 598857 times)

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #10000 on: May 7, 2021, 09:33:48 am »
An expected disgraceful response by Bettman and the NHL. $250,000 just about reflects the disgrace of their own actions of implicitly egging on the 2 teams to fight yesterday. If the NHL puts out any more ads about sportsmanship or for the love of hockey, they can shove it. Just as hollow as their "celebration" of Black History month.

Other than the weird own goal of firing their GM and President in the midst of this fiasco, the Rangers came out on top of both the NHL and the Capitals.

Yeah, we did. I do not recall them being very goonish, but it was a long time ago!

But Messier was waxing on about winning "in the street or the alley." That is not toughness; that is just thuggery. 

We recently had Milan Lucic. He was supposed to bring toughness and a Cup winning mentality to a young team. He did neither, and his presence certainly did not improve McDavid or Draisaitl. Thank God we got rid of him.

Lucic has done quite well on the Flames, certainly he doesn’t look as lost as he did all those years in Edmonton. It’s all about the fit, he’s playing on a team that fits his style more. Edmonton can’t grind and muck, if McDavid goes down again, you’ll be hard pressed to find an identity for that team, even with Draisaitl and RNH still there.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10001 on: May 7, 2021, 02:34:08 pm »
Lucic has done quite well on the Flames, certainly he doesn’t look as lost as he did all those years in Edmonton. It’s all about the fit, he’s playing on a team that fits his style more. Edmonton can’t grind and muck, if McDavid goes down again, you’ll be hard pressed to find an identity for that team, even with Draisaitl and RNH still there.
I also think Lucic has kind of reinvented himself as a second and third line player. Seems like a great guy as well. He recently announced that he’ll waive his no-trade clause in the expansion draft. He wants to stay but he also wants the Flames to protect more important players.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10002 on: May 8, 2021, 10:40:31 am »
St. Louis clinched their berth and with that the playoffs seem pretty much set. The Canadiens will clinch soon. The only interesting battle left is between Dallas and Nashville. Both teams are on equal points with two games left to play. Nashville has a double header against Carolina while Dallas has a double header against Chicago.
I don’t understand the Arizona Coyotes. It’s almost like they do not want to play in the postseason.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10003 on: May 15, 2021, 02:24:57 pm »
First play off game today. You guys excited about your play off match ups? All the North division games should be good.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10004 on: May 15, 2021, 10:39:09 pm »
I’ve been hyped for weeks. Bruins - Caps, Panthers - Lightning, Golden Knights - Wild are all tasty matchups. Think the North is going to be between Oilers and Maple Leafs. That’ll be a tasty series for sure.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #10005 on: May 16, 2021, 01:28:16 am »
Actually cheering on the Bruins, thats how much i hate Tom Wilson  ;D

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10006 on: May 16, 2021, 06:28:37 am »
And Tom Wilson with one goal and one assist, proving once again that he could’ve been a solid player. Feel sorry for Samsonov, hopefully he’ll be back for the next game.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10007 on: May 18, 2021, 03:56:48 am »
Brad Marchand - you hate him but you also want him on your team. Hard to believe he is in his 15th year. Immense today and this series is quite fun for the neutral.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10008 on: May 18, 2021, 10:33:28 am »
Yes it’s been great so far, especially with fans back in the arenas. The first Battle of Florida was very good.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10009 on: May 18, 2021, 11:43:19 am »
Brad Marchand - you hate him but you also want him on your team. Hard to believe he is in his 15th year. Immense today and this series is quite fun for the neutral.

the guy is a scumbag (on the ice), but I was very happy he potted the winner  ;D  Cos he isn’t as big a scumbag as Tom Wilson! He’s a heck of a better hockey player too.

Marchand did another of his trademark spear to the balls last night too.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #10010 on: May 20, 2021, 02:14:15 am »
The Bruins/Caps looked good on paper and it has delivered every bit so far. 3rd straight game now going to OT.

Although Caps hit the pipe a few times, probably should have finished it off.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10011 on: May 20, 2021, 02:28:43 am »
I’m flicking between the Bruins and Caps game and the Mets game  ;D   Shame that one went to OT though, cos I did want to catch a bit of the Edmonton game.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10012 on: May 20, 2021, 02:36:09 am »
I know what you mean....    I have the Lakers/Dodgers in half an hour so hopefully won't have to do a multiscreen... I'll be asking the Lakers for home runs and seeing if the Caps can nail a 3 pointer  :o :o  nothing like the chase for Stanley's mug though, so much drama even when I have no dog in the fight.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10013 on: May 20, 2021, 04:48:56 am »
Bastards. It’s much more fun watching other teams lose 😞 Only able to watch the 3rd period, but we got pushed around. There were some great moments with Draisaitl - the way he turns while surrounded by 3 players.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10014 on: May 20, 2021, 09:10:04 am »
Yes it’s been great so far, especially with fans back in the arenas. The first Battle of Florida was very good.

Lowkey hoping Florida can go far, but it feels Tampa with all their experience will make quick work of them.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10015 on: May 21, 2021, 01:01:38 am »
Yikes this looks awful

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #10016 on: May 21, 2021, 01:05:34 am »
Yikes this looks awful

Horrific. Hope Tavares is ok

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10017 on: May 21, 2021, 01:06:32 am »
Tavares got a hip check, fell on the ice and then the other Canadiens player accidentally knee'd him in the head....  stretcher out and a neck brace with all the trimmings....   horrible the way he collapsed, clearly knocked unconscious, when the medic tried to assess him he folded backwards, before more help arrived.

It all happened so quick. He's giving the thumbs up as he's being wheeled out, so hopefully he's not too hurt.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10018 on: May 21, 2021, 01:51:53 am »
Scary stuff, glad Tavares could give the thumbs up.
Total accident.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10019 on: May 21, 2021, 04:06:50 am »
Hopefully Tavares is okay. I think both teams realized it was not malicious. Amazing Price save on Nylander in the third. I have a lot of respect for the Leafs players who had to answer inane questions from the press after the game. Your captain is in the hospital and you’re being asked the same question three different ways.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10020 on: May 21, 2021, 10:14:03 am »
Big win for the Panthers.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10021 on: May 21, 2021, 02:35:38 pm »
The Maple Leafs better win their next game or else the pressure is going to be immense. Spurs of the NHL?

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10022 on: May 21, 2021, 02:43:05 pm »
The Maple Leafs better win their next game or else the pressure is going to be immense. Spurs of the NHL?

They are basically that team who don’t win anywhere near enough for the size of the club and the money they pour into it, and have during a lot of stretches over the past few decades managed the team poorly and made a lot of bad signings. But their fans still manage to be the most gobshitey and arrogant around. So Spurs may be a decent comparison !

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10023 on: May 21, 2021, 04:16:04 pm »
The games I’ve watched so far have been incredible. High intensity, heavy hits, bad blood, scrums and high skill level. The bubble last summer just felt off, this year is different. It helps with fans in some of the arenas as well. Absolutely loving it!
I mean, there’s a reason the NHL is the best league. The skill level on some of these guys is unbelievable. You have the obvious ones like McDavid, but all across the board you have elite talent. It doesn’t get enough recognition how difficult it is to pull off such moves while skating on fucking ice.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:18:34 pm by dalarr »

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10024 on: May 21, 2021, 06:05:47 pm »
They are basically that team who don’t win anywhere near enough for the size of the club and the money they pour into it, and have during a lot of stretches over the past few decades managed the team poorly and made a lot of bad signings. But their fans still manage to be the most gobshitey and arrogant around. So Spurs may be a decent comparison !
Wait, aren't you a Rangers dude?   ;D

By the way Tavares was discharged from St. Michael's this morning, will be out indefinitely. Good to know, the lad was levelled in a bad way.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10025 on: May 21, 2021, 06:20:32 pm »
Wait, aren't you a Rangers dude?   ;D

By the way Tavares was discharged from St. Michael's this morning, will be out indefinitely. Good to know, the lad was levelled in a bad way.

Rangers fans are ridiculously critical of the team, I think it’s a New York thing, they have no problem basically calling out or slagging off ANYONE involved from GM’s to coaches to players. So basically the opposite, as there is never really a lot of delusion, they tend to know if they are shit  ;D (Which is a LOT of the time for the Rangers, one of sports least successful big clubs).

Good that Tavares is out of hopsital, it was a scary moment for sure.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10026 on: May 21, 2021, 06:27:50 pm »
No to be fair, I should have bolded the bit about the lack of winning compared to the big budget and badly run organisation, rather than the fans being arrogant.

Noo Yokans criticised the Yankees even when they were winning! so yeah not quite the same from a fanbase perspective.

I have no affinity to the Leafs, but would be happy to see them lift it this year for Thornton.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10027 on: May 22, 2021, 02:15:58 am »
Impressive stuff from the Bruins, in what was so far a tight series they really have been on top in Game 4, well deserved.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10028 on: May 22, 2021, 02:29:30 am »
Go go Bruins.
Love how there are scrums at every stoppage  ;D

Fun series. Lovely seeing the Caps beat.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10029 on: May 22, 2021, 04:22:30 am »

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10030 on: May 22, 2021, 02:16:08 pm »
Yeah Bruins looking focused. Just grinding out results. That first period yesterday was close to flawless and they had amazing penalty killing.
Europe-friendly puck drops in Lighting - Panthers and Penguins - Islanders tonight

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10031 on: May 22, 2021, 06:23:16 pm »
The streams from Bally Sports are almost unbearable to watch. That fucking news ticker takes up 10% of the screen. I’m trying to watch hockey here, I don’t care about news from MLB and NBA.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10032 on: May 23, 2021, 11:55:29 pm »
Great goal in 2OT by Nashville there and all of a sudden this is a series, another exciting one in these playoffs.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10033 on: May 24, 2021, 12:32:17 am »
yeah I watched quite a bit of the Canes - Preds game. Good that it is now a long series!

Got the B’s - Caps on now, I’m hoping this will just be a short series  ;D

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10034 on: May 25, 2021, 07:24:41 am »
Swept! But what a game the 4th was. The less said about the third game the better. Soft spot for Montreal, but I think the Leafs will win, and it will be a hell of a series between Toronto and Winnipeg. Good to see Washington out.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #10035 on: May 25, 2021, 09:50:49 am »
McDavid's season for the ages resigned to history after the Jets sweeping the Oilers

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10036 on: May 26, 2021, 02:03:34 am »
Leafs have officially woken up. The tide has turned after game 1 and it looks like the Leafs have taken over.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10037 on: May 27, 2021, 01:00:32 am »
Wow Penguins collapsing at the worst time, credit to the Isles they have stepped it up, what is it now 3 goals in around 2 or so minutes in the 2nd period...  goalie change for the Penguins perhaps?

As it stands the Penguins are out, still a period and a half or so to be played.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10038 on: May 27, 2021, 03:43:41 am »
Wow Penguins collapsing at the worst time, credit to the Isles they have stepped it up, what is it now 3 goals in around 2 or so minutes in the 2nd period...  goalie change for the Penguins perhaps?

As it stands the Penguins are out, still a period and a half or so to be played.
https://twitter.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1397724921590132744 yikes jarry

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10039 on: May 27, 2021, 09:29:29 am »

It was a great game. One team scored and the other team came back immediately. Barry Trotz sure knows how to manage a playoff team. Islanders look very solid. Bruins - Islanders will be great