Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 586284 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #8040 on: August 1, 2021, 06:03:54 pm »
just sort of a locational hazard, I suppose... :wave

Yeah, that's right.  :wave
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8041 on: August 14, 2021, 04:36:59 pm »
I finished the Secret Commonwealth and have to say it was a brilliant read, a really good successor to HDM and now I am really intrigued as to how he is going to end the trilogy with the last book. There are so many connections back to the original trilogy as well, that I wouldn't discount anything or some certain "old" characters returning. Just write the damn thing Mr Pullman.  ;D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #8042 on: August 14, 2021, 10:52:45 pm »
His fictional war memoirs - The Complete McAuslan is good as well.

'Mr American' by GMF is a good read as well. The story of an American silver prospector/Hole in the Wall gang member and his dealings with the English aristocracy.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8043 on: August 17, 2021, 09:23:12 am »
Artemis by Andy Weir.

It’s about a city built on the moon.  The main protagonist is a female Saudi girl called Jazz.

And that’s the problem.  Weir hasn’t written a remotely convincing female character.  Given that her voice is the voice of the book, it is far far too male in its tone.

If he’d made the protagonist male it would have been a decent story, but the oddness of the narrative is troubling
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 09:30:22 am by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8044 on: August 17, 2021, 05:32:53 pm »
Artemis by Andy Weir.

It’s about a city built on the moon.  The main protagonist is a female Saudi girl called Jazz.

And that’s the problem.  Weir hasn’t written a remotely convincing female character.  Given that her voice is the voice of the book, it is far far too male in its tone.

If he’d made the protagonist male it would have been a decent story, but the oddness of the narrative is troubling

It is true that some authors can't write opposite sex characters with conviction or accuracy. It just completely throws the story off beam no matter how good the ideas surrounding it is.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8045 on: August 18, 2021, 10:48:46 am »
It is true that some authors can't write opposite sex characters with conviction or accuracy. It just completely throws the story off beam no matter how good the ideas surrounding it is.

That`s kinda what i was hinting at with The Queen`s Gambit. I loved the book, but a middle-aged man writing the part of a young girl didnt ring true to me, because he`d never had the same life experiences as she would have.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8046 on: August 18, 2021, 12:19:57 pm »
Deacon King Kong, James McBride

Fictional account of 1969 Brooklyn with a broad cast of off kilter and engrossing characters, starting with an inexplicable shooting and careering madly on from there. Gorgeously written and artfully plotted.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8047 on: August 18, 2021, 05:10:50 pm »
That`s kinda what i was hinting at with The Queen`s Gambit. I loved the book, but a middle-aged man writing the part of a young girl didnt ring true to me, because he`d never had the same life experiences as she would have.

I haven't read that I must admit. It is weird though, some male writers can write young girls really well. I have just finished Philip Pullman's The Secret Commonwealth and that was brilliantly written and it completely takes me back to what I felt like at the age of twenty. I'm not too sure, why some can do it but others make a real mess of it. Maybe some male writers can empathize a lot better than others. It would be interesting to know if people feel that way about female writers writing about male characters as well.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8048 on: August 20, 2021, 05:00:16 pm »
Artemis by Andy Weir.

I agree with all that, but I think the basic problem is that Weir isn't a good writer.  He got away with it on The Martian, as it was basically a series of engineering problems in novel form - Watney's motivation was simple and easily understood, and the book fairly raced it's way through the plot, such as it was.  Whereas Artemis is a total mess, with unbelievable characters who I stopped caring for halfway through.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8049 on: August 20, 2021, 05:05:52 pm »
I agree with all that, but I think the basic problem is that Weir isn't a good writer.  He got away with it on The Martian, as it was basically a series of engineering problems in novel form - Watney's motivation was simple and easily understood, and the book fairly raced it's way through the plot, such as it was.  Whereas Artemis is a total mess, with unbelievable characters who I stopped caring for halfway through.
I’m now reading Project Hail Mary. (It was on Obama’s reading list.)

And it’s superb…. Puts the science into science fiction.

Maybe Artemis was the difficult second album?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8050 on: August 20, 2021, 05:14:53 pm »

Oh really? Didn't even know he had a new book out. I'm willing to give him another go then.
Deacon King Kong, James McBride

Fictional account of 1969 Brooklyn with a broad cast of off kilter and engrossing characters, starting with an inexplicable shooting and careering madly on from there. Gorgeously written and artfully plotted.
Got some holidays coming up next month. This sounds like it's up my street so I'll give these both a go while lounging in the sun / staring at the rain.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8051 on: August 25, 2021, 03:36:47 pm »
Has anyone read The Miracle of Castel di Sangro? I'm about three quarters of the way through it.

It's about an amateur team in Italy reaching Serie B. I assumed the story would be mainly about their struggle to stay up but there's way more to it than that (so far).

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8052 on: August 25, 2021, 03:46:03 pm »

John Connolly`s "The Dirty South". Last years Charlie Parker book.

I love this series. I can`t believe no one has snapped it up for a movie franchise.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8053 on: August 25, 2021, 03:58:52 pm »
Has anyone read The Miracle of Castel di Sangro? I'm about three quarters of the way through it.

It's about an amateur team in Italy reaching Serie B. I assumed the story would be mainly about their struggle to stay up but there's way more to it than that (so far).

Loved that book. McGuiness unfortunately had a few issues with veracity in some of his other works, so I sort of took all the conversations as sort of "best remembered, make me look good" sorts of things.

But the more sinister and serious stories in Miracle I have no trouble believing.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8054 on: August 25, 2021, 04:00:46 pm »
Audiobook i didn't read it but just finished Scott Sigler's Novel based on the Alien universe, Aliens: Phalanx.

Amazing novel, a world populated by Humans and Xenomorphs, and the Human population only have weapons of Swords, Spears and Crossbows

I have another audiobook based on the Alien Universe called Aliens: Isolation by Keith R. A. DeCandido, be starting that next.

I've read Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 (Alan Dean Foster), Alien: Out of the Shadows (Tim Lebbon) and Alien: Sea of Sorrows (James A. Moore)

-- All set in the Alien Universe
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8055 on: August 25, 2021, 04:12:13 pm »
Loved that book. McGuiness unfortunately had a few issues with veracity in some of his other works, so I sort of took all the conversations as sort of "best remembered, make me look good" sorts of things.

But the more sinister and serious stories in Miracle I have no trouble believing.

I very much get that impression with regards to his conversations and spin on certain stories.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8056 on: August 25, 2021, 05:37:15 pm »

Just finished this. Not classic literature, but really enjoyable

Sci fi to some extent, but most of all it’s a book about friendship.
W

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #8057 on: August 26, 2021, 11:57:30 am »
Massacre of Mankind by Stephen Baxter. Sequel to Welles's War of the Worlds. A bit 'meh'. I like Baxter's work a lot but this was a tad tedious.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8058 on: August 26, 2021, 03:11:33 pm »

Coronado, short stories by Dennis Lehane.

If you like Lehane, you'll enjoy these, especially Until Gwen, in my opinion the best of the four which Lehane converted into a play for his brother to act in and is included in the book

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8059 on: August 26, 2021, 11:03:35 pm »
John Connolly`s "The Dirty South". Last years Charlie Parker book.

I love this series. I can`t believe no one has snapped it up for a movie franchise.

Just got it from the library and looking forward to reading it.

And John Connolly is a Red!

https://twitter.com/jconnollybooks/status/1276263710416416770

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8060 on: August 26, 2021, 11:04:52 pm »
Massacre of Mankind by Stephen Baxter. Sequel to Welles's War of the Worlds. A bit 'meh'. I like Baxter's work a lot but this was a tad tedious.

Mirrors my memory of the book. Read it a couple of years ago and was underwhelmed.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8061 on: August 27, 2021, 10:28:04 am »
Just got it from the library and looking forward to reading it.

And John Connolly is a Red!

https://twitter.com/jconnollybooks/status/1276263710416416770

Yeah, I think I knew this, and forgot. It`s rubbish getting old.

This one "The Dirty South" is a flashback novel set after the original couple of books in the series. I liked it. Less spooky goings on, more police procedural. With just a smidgeon of Angel and Louis.

Book 19, "The Nameless Ones" should also be available in Hardback: https://www.fantasticfiction.com/c/john-connolly/nameless-ones.htm

Unfortunately it`s not appearing on my library system just yet. I might have to order it for my branch  ;)

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8062 on: August 27, 2021, 10:45:35 am »

A terrific book. Another of similar ilk is A Season With Verona by Tim Parks.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8063 on: August 27, 2021, 10:56:39 am »
Yeah, I think I knew this, and forgot. It`s rubbish getting old.

This one "The Dirty South" is a flashback novel set after the original couple of books in the series. I liked it. Less spooky goings on, more police procedural. With just a smidgeon of Angel and Louis.

Book 19, "The Nameless Ones" should also be available in Hardback: https://www.fantasticfiction.com/c/john-connolly/nameless-ones.htm

Unfortunately it`s not appearing on my library system just yet. I might have to order it for my branch  ;)

Just read "The nameless ones". Louis and Angel take on Serbian gangsters with a soupçon of supernatural.

I've only "Book of bones" to read and I've read the complete collection.

Offline Bcnsean

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8064 on: September 2, 2021, 09:27:31 am »

Thanks for this recommendation, I thought it was brilliant.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8065 on: September 2, 2021, 11:09:17 am »
Just finished A Handmaid’s Tale which I first read over twenty years ago.  It’s still extremely prescient and powerful.  One of the great living authors, that said, Ill give it a few weeks before starting The Testaments.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8066 on: September 2, 2021, 01:37:12 pm »
Reading "Artic Snow to the Dust of Normandy"

By Patrick Dazel-Job

His boss was Ian Fleming and it was always rumoured that he based his Bond character on this fella.

Details what he was doing before, during and after World War II.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8067 on: September 2, 2021, 01:40:49 pm »
Billy Summers, the Stephen King new book

Pretty good. Better than most stuff he's done since 11.whateverdate.itwas.jfkgotshot

not the rave RETURN TO FORM stuff reviews said but an enjoyable read. And I like the realistic feel of it being crime.

So basically expect a film

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8068 on: September 2, 2021, 02:07:05 pm »
Billy Summers, the Stephen King new book

Pretty good. Better than most stuff he's done since 11.whateverdate.itwas.jfkgotshot

not the rave RETURN TO FORM stuff reviews said but an enjoyable read. And I like the realistic feel of it being crime.

So basically expect a film

Weird, I think most of his books going back to 2011 have been pretty good. There are some clunkers after Dolores Claiborne in 1992 up until then, but also some great stuff like "The Green Mile"and "From a Buick 8". I think he`s accident `99 (not surprisingly) really affected him.

I`m a big fan of "Joyland" from his crime series, but haven`t read "The Colorado Kid" or "Later", both of which are on my TBR(soon) list.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8069 on: September 2, 2021, 02:21:58 pm »
Weird, I think most of his books going back to 2011 have been pretty good. There are some clunkers after Dolores Claiborne in 1992 up until then, but also some great stuff like "The Green Mile"and "From a Buick 8". I think he`s accident `99 (not surprisingly) really affected him.

I`m a big fan of "Joyland" from his crime series, but haven`t read "The Colorado Kid" or "Later", both of which are on my TBR(soon) list.

Oh the last ten years have definitely been better than the post accident stuff.

I've read Later. And The Institute. I'd recommend both, decent, just obviously it's hard to compare to novels as classic as Salems Lot or the Shining.

Later is one you might like as it's another crime one!

He's still got that Horror tag but considering his age the fact he's trying other genres still is superb. (Later is a tiny bit horror, Institute is a tiny bit Sci fi)

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8070 on: September 2, 2021, 02:22:24 pm »

Just read Later; if you liked Joyland, Later will be a good read. A touch more of a supernatural element than Joyland, but still a good Hard Case crime effort...

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8071 on: September 2, 2021, 02:48:25 pm »

Sounds good, thanks guys.

Online Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8072 on: September 2, 2021, 03:11:38 pm »
Just read "The nameless ones". Louis and Angel take on Serbian gangsters with a soupçon of supernatural.

I've only "Book of bones" to read and I've read the complete collection.

They're fantastic books aren't they?

I remember reading one in the series [can't remember which one] which ended in the Ossuary at Sedlec in the Czech Republic. I'd only been to the actual place about a week before. It was really chilling reading it - glad I never went afterwards, rather than before!

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #8073 on: September 8, 2021, 07:58:21 pm »
Just started the Charlie Parker series - read the first 2 and loved them.

There are 20 or so in the series, are they as good as the series goes on?

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #8074 on: September 9, 2021, 07:03:47 pm »
Just started the Charlie Parker series - read the first 2 and loved them.

There are 20 or so in the series, are they as good as the series goes on?

Yeah, it's great you should stick with it

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #8075 on: September 9, 2021, 07:04:35 pm »

Will do, thanks

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #8076 on: September 9, 2021, 07:51:04 pm »
Steve Jones's Lonely Boy was a lot of fun..remarkably candid...warts and all...and then some more warts...looking forward to Danny Boyle's TV interpretation...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8077 on: September 10, 2021, 09:22:44 am »

I concur with all the Jays.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8078 on: September 12, 2021, 11:44:17 pm »
Re-reading the Cosmic Kalevala series by Emil Petaja

- Science ficiton that is 'right out there' but a great read.

Cosmic Kalevela;

1 The Saga of Lost Earths
2 The Star Mill
3 The Stolen Sun

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #8079 on: September 14, 2021, 02:04:01 pm »
Wolf Hall
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.