Author Topic: Keep it Cheap Football Draft  (Read 7078 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Keep it Cheap Football Draft
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2021, 05:25:06 pm »
Have I just made up that Right back is number 2, and Left back number 3 usually?

I base everything by Liverpool in the 80s so a number 6 to me is Alan Hansen. Didn’t Gillespie often wear 2.

Anyway, I’d agree with you in that 2 is a right back (Rob Jones), 3 is a left back (Stuart Pearce).

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2021, 06:36:45 pm »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2021, 08:15:55 pm »
Sorry for not being about, guys. Let's just say everything that could possibly go wrong today went wrong. Including my internet breaking. Will make my two catch up picks in a sec  :wave
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2021, 08:44:03 pm »
Done. Going Brazil 94 style 424.

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: May 12, 2021, 08:44:56 pm »
I'm digging the strikers mate.  Old school 90's hipster. :D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2021, 08:46:51 pm »
I'm digging the strikers mate.  Old school 90's hipster. :D

Yeah, this is Lawnmo's wet dream  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2021, 08:50:40 pm »
Yeah, this is Lawnmo's wet dream  ;D

Does it involve a Flymo?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2021, 11:15:12 pm »
Do you lot have something against Maicon?

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #248 on: May 13, 2021, 12:42:39 am »
Do you lot have something against Maicon?

Didn't even look at him. I was convinced his move from Inter to City was for big money but turns out it was pretty cheap.

I guess after a couple of years of bossing it at Inter his star fell pretty fast. I remember him being boss at 2010 WC but really bad at City.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: May 13, 2021, 02:03:26 am »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #250 on: May 13, 2021, 08:11:10 am »
With all the hipster picks flying around, surprised Valeron and Luca Toni went unpicked
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #251 on: May 13, 2021, 09:19:18 am »
Teams in, will help anyone that needs one putting together.

Gonna try get the games going today once I get to work
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #252 on: May 13, 2021, 09:41:16 am »
With all the hipster picks flying around, surprised Valeron and Luca Toni went unpicked
Don't know how I missed Toni. I even looked at his Transfermarkt - must have got confused as Bayern paid £9.90m when he was worth £25m. Definitely one of the better players not picked in the draft.

Some high quality picks that didn't get drafted -

Joe Gomez
Daniel Agger
Jose Maria Gimenez
Michael Reiziger
Alvaro Arbeloa
Juanfran

Marcos Assuncao
Ji-Sung Park
Luis Alberto
Torsten Frings
Harry Kewell
Fede Valverde
Marcos Senna
Juan Valeron

Mark Viduka
Claudio Caniggia
Ariel Ortega
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: May 13, 2021, 09:55:29 am »
Yeah I had a few more on my shortlist!

Friedel and Dudek

Gallas, Marchena, De Vrij, Koulibaly, Howedes, Kovac, Metzelder, Subotic, Marquez, Lauren, Kuffour, Salgado, Evra, Alphonso Davies and Grosso

Gabi, Kehl, Jeremies, Brozovic, Sabitzer, Hassler,

Mertens, Olic, Jugovic, Berger, Blaszczykowski, Sheringham, Dugarry, Pauleta
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2021, 10:42:22 am »
Think I am just waiting on BuckPete's lineup

Round 1 - Knockout

Match 1 : Hazell vs BettyBlue

Match 2 : Fucking Appalled vs MaxPowers

Match 3 : Drinks Sangria vs DeFacto

Match 4 : Tubby vs BuckPete
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: May 13, 2021, 10:46:44 am »
Yeah a lot of quality there also. I did like the idea of a total max fees cost of the team, but that would be too much work to quantify into the tournament system.

FWIW my team cost £62m total, so £5.63m average per player. Pretty nice given how many World Class players I was lucky to grab. Most expensive was Raphael Varane at £9.9m (Van Der Sar and Simeone also had £9m+ transfers) and cheapest was Pep Guardiola at £585k.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2021, 10:47:50 am »
We could do a freebies draft at some point too, quite a lot of the players I thought of apparently never moved for a fee in their entire career

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #257 on: May 13, 2021, 10:49:13 am »
We could do a freebies draft at some point too, quite a lot of the players I thought of apparently never moved for a fee in their entire career

The fees really did kick off more after Chelsea got their money. I think this draft would have been harder had I put post 2005 in, the drop in quality might have been huge!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: May 13, 2021, 10:49:34 am »
Definitely. There was 5 or 6 I couldn't believe had never moved for a fee. Esteban Cambiasso I was messing around with trying to see how much Real Madrid paid Argentinos Juniors for in 98. Sol Campbell another.
The fees really did kick off more after Chelsea got their money. I think this draft would have been harder had I put post 2005 in, the drop in quality might have been huge!
Absolutely - the real hotbed of quality in this draft was concentrated on players who moved mid/late 90s, stayed at their club a long time and played on for the requisite time after 2000.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: May 13, 2021, 01:50:35 pm »
some other ones, Vicente, Rufete , Miranda, Pizschek, Aduriz, Capdevilla, Sorin, Stankovic

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #260 on: May 13, 2021, 02:07:48 pm »
I almost picked Iago Aspas and suggested it to Hazell too. He has had a great career post leaving us. Similar goals + assists per game as Benzema over the past 5-6 years.

Still leading the assist charts in La Liga at age 33.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: May 13, 2021, 02:50:22 pm »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:54:17 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #262 on: May 13, 2021, 02:56:18 pm »