Author Topic: Not quite so 'Super' League  (Read 528081 times)

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Not quite so 'Super' League
« Reply #11800 on: May 8, 2021, 12:22:40 pm »
They do have to make a contribution to 'good causes' though how UEFA Defines a good cause may be interesting.

Qatari Workers Widows Fund?
Journalists Welfare Charity?
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #11801 on: May 8, 2021, 01:17:07 pm »
Only interesting if you believe them. Perez said they’ve spent 3 years working on it, yet never consulted with the people they want approval from?
If they truly did spend 3 years working on it, then I'm not sure they are capable of running a bath let alone a league.

Surely they knew there would be a big reaction from UEFA and clubs not involved but they were not prepared at all. The marketing/pr consultancy they used will struggle to get another client with how it badly it was handled. We've seen better pitches on Dragons Den!

It doesn't sound like they had approached FIFA as I'm pretty sure FIFA would've been receptive if say the clubs were prepared to back the Club World Cup.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #11802 on: May 8, 2021, 01:36:24 pm »
Only interesting if you believe them. Perez said they’ve spent 3 years working on it, yet never consulted with the people they want approval from?

They had worked on PBP for a similar amount of time. They were up to the 17th draft. In both cases they were trying to pitch a fait accompli.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #11803 on: May 8, 2021, 05:49:41 pm »
Qatari Workers Widows Fund?
Journalists Welfare Charity?

I can’t find the former.

For the latter are you referring to THE CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF JOURNALISTS' WELFARE FUND? Cause that’s a worthy cause I guess. https://register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?regid=1189267&subid=0
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #11804 on: May 8, 2021, 05:57:35 pm »

The SL has been there in the background every time the CL contract comes up for renewal going back to the 90's. It's used as leverage for the clubs/leagues to get more power (i.e. top 4 into CL from the top leagues). They've threatened to quit UEFA and form their own league for ages.

This year it's more about these clubs trying to win back their Covid losses while making a big strategic error in thinking that taking advantage of no crowds would lead to less dissent from the fans.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #11805 on: May 8, 2021, 08:01:36 pm »
Strangely enough, that's not a too dissimilar situation from Real starting a cup competition, which became the Champions Cup and now the Champions League. Except for two factors - the football structures, both domestic and international, are far better established, and there is a qualification scheme for the tournaments. The CC started as an invitation tournament, but evolved to its current format. Would the Super League evolve into a "top tier" for the CL? I'm not too sure...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11806 on: May 13, 2021, 11:56:21 am »
See the current Premier League domestic TV deal has been renewed without auction today. Guess it has been rushed through to maintain the status quo for another few seasons before the mythical government led review does anything

I look forward to Sky railing against this greed and monopolisation of football later :boxhead

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11807 on: May 13, 2021, 12:03:15 pm »
See the current Premier League domestic TV deal has been renewed without auction today. Guess it has been rushed through to maintain the status quo for another few seasons before the mythical government led review does anything

I look forward to Sky railing against this greed and monopolisation of football later :boxhead

It's about the fans remember.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11808 on: May 13, 2021, 12:24:06 pm »
I can’t find the former.

For the latter are you referring to THE CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF JOURNALISTS' WELFARE FUND? Cause that’s a worthy cause I guess. https://register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?regid=1189267&subid=0

Never mind your custom title, your username needs changing to WHOOSHED.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11809 on: May 13, 2021, 12:27:38 pm »

I don't like the ESL, but I back the club for wanting to go down that route, when you look at the state of the game. UEFA are as corrupt as fuck, letting PSG and City take the utter piss, then wanting to play the CL in Portugal when the safest thing right now is to play it in England, just proves how they care not one fucking jot for the fans or the game, all they care about is the £1billion they cream off the CL money and their yearly pissup at the fans expense. SKY only kicked off because they saw their monopoly disappearing.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #11810 on: May 13, 2021, 01:16:00 pm »

I’m sure Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher will be the first to give us their great insight on this later, for the good of football and all that.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11811 on: May 13, 2021, 02:57:33 pm »
I’m sure Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher will be the first to give us their great insight on this later, for the good of football and all that.
They tell it how it is.
Like Ena Sharples and Albert Tatlock.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11812 on: May 13, 2021, 03:08:50 pm »
UEFA show once again how the game is for the fans by actually moving the all English final to Porto.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11813 on: May 13, 2021, 03:15:45 pm »
UEFA show once again how the game is for the fans by actually moving the all English final to Porto.

They're a fucking joke of a cartel organisation who are only concerned about maintaining power and the money that brings with it which they can line their own pockets with.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #11814 on: May 13, 2021, 03:54:59 pm »
They're a fucking joke of a cartel organisation who are only concerned about maintaining power and the money that brings with it which they can line their own pockets with.

Union of Estate Fucking Agents?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11815 on: May 13, 2021, 06:46:46 pm »
Union of Estate Fucking Agents?

I'm fairly certain everyone who works at UEFA used to be an estate agent.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11816 on: May 14, 2021, 11:08:19 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/13/football-league-hits-out-at-premier-leagues-new-domestic-tv-deal

Football League hits out at Premier League’s new domestic TV deal
-EFL claims deal threatens the future of the football pyramid
-Parachute payments ‘distort competition between clubs’

No mention of this from the saviours of English footy? A complete stitch up to maintain the status quo

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11817 on: May 14, 2021, 11:13:48 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/13/football-league-hits-out-at-premier-leagues-new-domestic-tv-deal

No mention of this from the saviours of English footy? A complete stitch up to maintain the status quo

And to keep them on board with the PL and not be swayed to supporting any breakaway leagues (which is how the PL came about).

Give them frozen TV deals for another 3 years keeps them happy until 2025, whilst preventing any new entries who may not be as onside.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11818 on: May 14, 2021, 10:10:09 pm »
Talk of reform, all most fans seem to want is their own sugar daddy.

Newcastle fans' big message to the Premier League – 93% still want a Saudi-backed takeover approved
Supporters remain desperate for Amanda Staveley and the PIF to be given the keys to St. James’ Park, but confidence is rapidly dissipating

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-fans-big-message-premier-20588836?utm_source=chronicle_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=nufc_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11819 on: May 14, 2021, 10:43:06 pm »
Talk of reform, all most fans seem to want is their own sugar daddy.

Newcastle fans' big message to the Premier League – 93% still want a Saudi-backed takeover approved
Supporters remain desperate for Amanda Staveley and the PIF to be given the keys to St. James’ Park, but confidence is rapidly dissipating

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-fans-big-message-premier-20588836?utm_source=chronicle_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=nufc_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

Well, PSG taking the main seat at ECA and UEFA, and Man City and Chelsea being hailed as the saviours of football, will inevitably lead to more fans pushing for their own sugar daddy. The Super League had many flaws, but the alternative is turning out to be worse ...

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11820 on: May 17, 2021, 11:34:25 am »
I see Neville, Carragher and Ferdinand et al are pushing for people to sign some anti ESL petition to "create a fairer game".

Like Neville's doing at Salford of course.  ::)

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11821 on: May 17, 2021, 02:19:14 pm »

Unsurprising really. It was all a little bit of a Tory populist sham - trying to conserve what they have without interest of the wider football pyramid and the fans and then expanding and strengthening their existing position.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 02:29:27 pm by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11822 on: May 17, 2021, 02:22:24 pm »
I see Neville, Carragher and Ferdinand et al are pushing for people to sign some anti ESL petition to "create a fairer game".

They can go fuck themselves, they are all happy to take the money from the PL deals as players and take money happily from Sky and BT while saying fuck all about the sportswashing of Abu Dhabi :wanker :wanker :wanker

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #11823 on: May 17, 2021, 03:24:21 pm »

It’s being pointed out by quite a few in that this should explicitly note it would abolish the FA if successful.  Not saying that’s a good or bad thing but that’s what this means.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11824 on: May 17, 2021, 04:12:59 pm »
It’s being pointed out by quite a few in that this should explicitly note it would abolish the FA if successful.  Not saying that’s a good or bad thing but that’s what this means.

Chatting to the wife last night about how they want the "ESL 6" demoted and she started laughing at how absurd it is. That'll kill the Premier League as no-one wants to watch the rest of them, Sky would be crying their fucking eyes out as they would be paying a fortune for games they cannot sell abroad.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11825 on: May 17, 2021, 04:59:57 pm »
i remember thinking it looked a bit hot.

I went to a pre-season LFC game in the US once, worst game I’ve ever seen, it was in Baltimore, shit game, obviously a shit atmosphere, stupidly hot, absolute waste of time and money.  I’d love nothing more than they stick to playing games in Europe rather than travel all over the place, but I’ve always been of that opinion, selfish of me I know  ;D  But the amount of money people are willing to pay for tickets its no wonder teams are so keen on doing it, the prices for those ‘challegen cup’ games or whatever they where called are ridiculous.

I was there. It was so so so so hot. Had too much booze as well.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #11826 on: May 17, 2021, 05:21:34 pm »
Chatting to the wife last night about how they want the "ESL 6" demoted and she started laughing at how absurd it is. That'll kill the Premier League as no-one wants to watch the rest of them, Sky would be crying their fucking eyes out as they would be paying a fortune for games they cannot sell abroad.

Sky don't sell games abroad though, Rob. The Premier League itself owns the overseas rights and sells them off to overseas broadcasters.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11827 on: May 17, 2021, 05:23:47 pm »

Neville is such a twat. Didn't say a word when Bury (the club he supported) went out of business, while he was playing football manager down the road.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11828 on: May 17, 2021, 05:31:56 pm »
Sky don't sell games abroad though, Rob. The Premier League itself owns the overseas rights and sells them off to overseas broadcasters.

Ah right, so it'll be the PL crying like fuck cos they can't sell the games. Sky would still be pissed off because they would be paying a fortune for Wolves v Burnley rather than us V Utd.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11829 on: May 17, 2021, 07:07:59 pm »

Perhaps there’s a plan there-get relegated to the Championship, agree with the teams there that there will be no promotion. You could see those EPL teams come begging to be let in. They’ve got a better trophy too.

I wonder if these people who were “appalled” by the attempted break away are also appalled by the rampant corruption & mismanagement at UEFA? Why aren’t they calling for better regulation of it?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11830 on: May 17, 2021, 07:20:57 pm »
Perhaps there’s a plan there-get relegated to the Championship, agree with the teams there that there will be no promotion. You could see those EPL teams come begging to be let in. They’ve got a better trophy too.

I wonder if these people who were “appalled” by the attempted break away are also appalled by the rampant corruption & mismanagement at UEFA? Why aren’t they calling for better regulation of it?

I'd love to tell the likes of West Ham to go fuck themselves.

That's why I actually can see FSGs point in this and haven't been slagging them off. UEFA have been a disgrace for as long as I can remember, they cream over £1 billion off the CL money for "administrative costs" among other things, they've allowed Abu Dhabi and Qatar to take the piss and then they show how little they actually give a fuck about fans by moving the all English CL to Portugal as some of their members wouldn't be allowed to attend the piss up game.

The PL teams finished it for me last season with the null and void calls, fucking c*nts using the pandemic as an excuse, when it was all about not getting relegated from the gravy train. I'm not surprised FSG, the Glazers and Levy wanted their own competition.

Online Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11831 on: May 17, 2021, 07:38:41 pm »

Curious how most of these lads are employed by broadcasters. Almost as if they have a vested interest in keeping the status quo.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #11832 on: May 17, 2021, 08:34:53 pm »
To be fair, Neville for one has been involved in reforming ideas for football for a while. Nothing to do with his gig as a pundit, all about regulation for football which works so lower league clubs won't keep going to the wall because of a dodgy owner selling off the ground from beneath them and piling on debt which will never be repaid. Depending on the remit, you could also see a regulator being an independent authority for financial fair play rules.

If you want change then this is the thin end of the wedge, re-establishing some of the controls the FA pissed away over the past few decades.

The petition is now over 100k signatures so should lead to a debate in Parliament.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/584632
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
« Reply #11833 on: May 17, 2021, 08:42:30 pm »
I'd love to tell the likes of West Ham to go fuck themselves.

That's why I actually can see FSGs point in this and haven't been slagging them off. UEFA have been a disgrace for as long as I can remember, they cream over £1 billion off the CL money for "administrative costs" among other things, they've allowed Abu Dhabi and Qatar to take the piss and then they show how little they actually give a fuck about fans by moving the all English CL to Portugal as some of their members wouldn't be allowed to attend the piss up game.

The PL teams finished it for me last season with the null and void calls, fucking c*nts using the pandemic as an excuse, when it was all about not getting relegated from the gravy train. I'm not surprised FSG, the Glazers and Levy wanted their own competition.

I agree with you. In my view 'Project Big Picture' was not perfect but spread the money more fairly down the leagues and grassroots and protected the pyramid, it meant more power for the likes of us and Utd at the expense of the 14 'no to klopps 5 subs' wankers. However in my ideal world there would be one-club, one-vote across ALL 5 of the top English divisions.

No football authorities, not Carra, Nev, Lineker nor journos want to say 'boo' to Man City and the way they corrupt football - and you would be surprised that even on this very forum, some LFC fans who wince at a mere suggestion that in any future negotiation us and Utd should, perhaps, maybe, pretty please, take advantage of our worldwide fanbases and keep the overseas TV rights for home matches. That would go some way to helping us compete with the shieks and oligarchs. If they continue to refuse us, if they continue to do diddly squat about sportswashing then the threat of something like a breakaway should not be taken off the table.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11834 on: May 17, 2021, 10:06:18 pm »
Carragher and Neville attempting to influence the set up an independent regulator.... I wouldn’t trust the two to run a piss up in a brewery personally

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11835 on: May 18, 2021, 09:14:01 am »
These things always have great ideas and great headlines - then always find a way to mess it up

The petition - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/584632

1. Like a referee, an independent regulator would safeguard our beautiful game impartially.

Seriously - referee's are independent? Obviously not started by a Liverpool fan this season.

The letter - https://gary-neville.medium.com/an-open-letter-e5b4749fb50a

It is time to act. We support:
  • Government legislation to block any Premier League clubs attempting to abandon the country’s football pyramid.
  • The appointment of an Independent Football Regulator.

Why not just the latter and focus on that, rather than trying to stop clubs leaving. What happens if a club goes bust? Will they not be 'allowed' to leave?

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11836 on: May 18, 2021, 09:16:06 am »
Carragher and Neville attempting to influence the set up an independent regulator.... I wouldn’t trust the two to run a piss up in a brewery personally
I wouldn’t be surprised if they want to be in control of it...

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11837 on: May 18, 2021, 09:21:12 am »
Have I missed something with Red Nev (and Carra and Rio to be fair) ... what makes him qualified for, well, anything really?

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11838 on: May 18, 2021, 09:23:53 am »
Jaap Stam summed up the Nevilles perfectly, and Carragher may as well be their adopted sibling.

”Busy c*nts we call them, for their endless grumbling about everything in general and nothing in particular. The pair of them never stop whingeing.”
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11839 on: May 18, 2021, 10:01:06 am »

This is the concern. What does an 'independent regulator' even mean, in practice? Sounds like a shit idea.

There's still someone who's going to be behind it. Could effectively just be another PGMOL stuffed with more Mancs.

I remember Rio Ferdinand being part of an 'independent' group '(along with other visionaries like Danny Mills) with an initiative to change football. Part of their proposals was bringing B teams into the lower leagues.

I wouldn't trust anything that wasn't fan led.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:03:38 am by Fromola »