Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 983446 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The PL run-in
« Reply #4840 on: May 9, 2021, 04:19:32 pm »
Yeah because our frontline against Big Head and Lindelof is up against the reincarnation of peak Maldini and Nesta.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #4841 on: May 9, 2021, 04:20:30 pm »
The thought of Philips and Willams vs United's frontline is truly terrifying. Can see us losing to United which will finally put us all out of our misery.

I for one, welcome being put out of my misery.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4842 on: May 9, 2021, 04:22:18 pm »
Yeah because our frontline against Big Head and Lindelof is up against the reincarnation of peak Maldini and Nesta.

they don't need to be given the finishing of our frontline

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #4843 on: May 9, 2021, 04:33:52 pm »
Interesting that their win today means City are not Champions yet. Will Ole have to go strong on Tuesday to try to chase a rainbow?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4844 on: May 9, 2021, 04:40:05 pm »
I feel a bit like it's remarkable that we've hung in there so long given the circumstances, really - I remember 'arguing' that the Chelsea game at the start of March needn't actually be "must win" as many people seemed to be saying, and that 4 points from that and Fulham would steady us ahead of the final ten games.  We obviously lost both, and yet somehow are still clinging on to and outside chance.

It's the Leeds and Newcastle games themselves that lead me to phrases like "don't deserve it" - after everything we came through, we were/are just still in without an outside chance and we threw 4 points away in a week.  Irrespective of everything that went before those two games, just imagine how important how valuable those extra 4 points could be right now.

Clearly we had to massively re-think our season's ambitions (i.e. title to top four) as winter progressed, and there are many reasons we can point to for that.  I don't think we can have many excuses for those 4 dropped points that have massively undermined our efforts to meet those revised expectations though.  I can't think of any good analogies, but I'm going to say it feels like we winged-it through a driving lesson with the likelihood of just passing but then crashed into the parking bay at the end.

Nevertheless...I'm still clinging to slim hopes!

An unlikely excuse but losing probably our best defender in Phillips the last few months on top of everything else different help, especially as both equalisers stemmed from high balls lumped in with a small team on the pitch.

The circus around Leeds game (thanks to the owners SL announcement the night before) hardly helped either, with Klopp blindsided by it and left to deal with the fall out with the players.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4845 on: May 9, 2021, 04:41:28 pm »

We know we can create chances. Can we actually put them away? A high scoring shootout/end-to-end game will likely benefit them (like in the cup). Their game thrives on chaotic matches.

We need Kabak and Milner back fit, which they would have been if the game was played last week.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2021, 04:50:43 pm by Fromola »

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4846 on: May 9, 2021, 05:11:02 pm »

We said this exactly last time we played them to be fair, Salah scored 2 but we still lost, can’t really compare big head and Lindelof to Williams either there’s a clear disparity in quality. Hopefully we start Fabinho at the back.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #4847 on: May 9, 2021, 05:31:35 pm »
Maguire and Lindelof are in a different league compared to Phillips and Williams, who are championship quality at best. I would be really surprised if we got anything out of the game with those 2 starting unfortunately.

I think Klopp will go with Fabinho at CB and put Jones/Ox in midfield.
True North Strong

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4848 on: May 9, 2021, 05:56:55 pm »
Maguire and Lindelof are in a different league compared to Phillips and Williams, who are championship quality at best. I would be really surprised if we got anything out of the game with those 2 starting unfortunately.

I think Klopp will go with Fabinho at CB and put Jones/Ox in midfield.
Maguire and Nat are not necessarily in a different league, unless you're talking about salary. :)

It's a tough call who to start considering the injuries, but I worry even more about who can come in. We may not be able to tweak the game plan with the likes of Wilson and Koumetio from the bench.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #4849 on: May 9, 2021, 06:24:25 pm »
As always, it's all about the job we do rather than what the opposition do. All we can do is patch up our players and get them ready for Utd. Them playing twice before our game levels any injuries up.

I don't see Utd throwing the Leicester game, as they don't want to hand the title to City like that. I don't see Leicester getting more than 5pts from their last 3 games so it actually is in our hands, but only if we keep our side of the bargain.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4850 on: May 9, 2021, 06:26:16 pm »
Over to you Liverpool. It’s the hope that kills you, gona go down to the wire.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4851 on: May 9, 2021, 06:27:06 pm »
Can I dream they beat Leicester and we end their title dream and jump  into the cl places at old Trafford?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4852 on: May 9, 2021, 06:29:32 pm »
Door slightly ajar for the umpteenth time...

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4853 on: May 9, 2021, 06:29:59 pm »
Can I dream they beat Leicester and we end their title dream and jump  into the cl places at old Trafford?

I would give anything for that.  The fume would be incredible. 😀
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4854 on: May 9, 2021, 06:31:29 pm »
Just when I thought I was out....... pull, back, right in

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #4855 on: May 9, 2021, 06:31:36 pm »
Except for that last minute goal for Chelsea everything else has pretty much gone our way this weekend.
YWNA

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4856 on: May 9, 2021, 06:32:16 pm »
Okay so with West Ham losing, if Leicester lose to United, I think a draw at Old Trafford would suddenly become a pretty good result. We'd then just need to win our last 3 and bank on Leicester dropping points to Chelsea or Spurs.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4857 on: May 9, 2021, 06:32:51 pm »
Well, we have won 4 of our last 6 league games, and the 2 draws came in the last minutes of the games. Will we win our remaining 4 games? I don't know. Can we win them? Of course we can ...

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #4858 on: May 9, 2021, 06:34:34 pm »
Just when I thought I was out....... pull, back, right in

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/xJpVyMAlPBs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/xJpVyMAlPBs</a>

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #4859 on: May 9, 2021, 06:51:26 pm »
Current 538 CL qualification odds:
Chelsea 94%
Leicester 55%
LFC 42%
West Ham 6%
Spurs 3%

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #4860 on: May 9, 2021, 06:59:01 pm »
It would be a dream - 'cos we'd still be 3 pts behind Leicester in fifth....albeit a game in hand  ;)

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #4861 on: May 9, 2021, 07:20:28 pm »
Current 538 CL qualification odds:
Chelsea 94%
Leicester 55%
LFC 42%
West Ham 6%
Spurs 3%
538 also lists Brighton as the 19th best side in world football, so there’s a massive glitch somewhere in their algorithm.

Edit: down to 21st now after losing to Wolves, like you’d expect from the 21st best team in the world I imagine.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2021, 07:24:51 pm by Iska »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #4862 on: May 9, 2021, 07:44:54 pm »
Updated:

3rdChelsea35+2364
4thLeicester35+2063
5thWest Ham34+1158
6thLiverpool34+1857
7thSpurs35+2056
8thEverton33+352

Weekend:
Leicester 2-4 Newcastle
Leeds 3-1 Spurs
City 1-2 Chelsea
Liverpool 2-0 Southampton
West Ham vs Everton

Updated:

3rdChelsea35+2364
4thLeicester35+2063
5thWest Ham35+1058
6thLiverpool34+1857
7thSpurs35+2056
8thEverton34+455

Weekend:
Leicester 2-4 Newcastle
Leeds 3-1 Spurs
City 1-2 Chelsea
Liverpool 2-0 Southampton
West Ham 0-1 Everton

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4863 on: May 9, 2021, 07:50:38 pm »
In 16/17 Southampton finished 8th with 46 points! Everton 8th with 49 in 17/18.

The top 8 should all top 60 points this season which is a high bar and one will miss out on Europe and one stuck in the Conference League. Even Leeds in 10th on 50 points with a few games left and Villa just below.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4864 on: May 9, 2021, 07:53:30 pm »
Those 4 points dropped at Newcastle and Leeds are very very upsetting.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4865 on: May 9, 2021, 08:00:02 pm »
Those 4 points dropped at Newcastle and Leeds are very very upsetting.

Those 2 games doesn't matter now. Had Trent not scored in injury time, we would have dropped 2 points against Aston Villa. It is football. The only important thing now is to win our remaining games ...

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #4866 on: May 9, 2021, 08:00:24 pm »
Looks to be on now. If United beat Leicester even 10 points might do it assuming the Foxes repeat last year's late collapse.
Linudden.

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4867 on: May 9, 2021, 08:38:00 pm »
Looks to be on now. If United beat Leicester even 10 points might do it assuming the Foxes repeat last year's late collapse.
Utd fans all praying they play a second string against Leicester and go full strength against us.  Utterly shameful

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4868 on: May 9, 2021, 08:46:28 pm »
Utd fans all praying they play a second string against Leicester and go full strength against us.  Utterly shameful
They still can't change the whole team.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #4869 on: May 9, 2021, 08:53:02 pm »

How is that shameful?
I don’t get you lot - you want a rivalry or not?... we’d want our manager to do exactly the same thing. They should want to stamp on our throats and vice versa

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4870 on: May 9, 2021, 08:53:59 pm »
We need to win 5 in a row really …

Just can’t see it the way the season has gone
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4871 on: May 9, 2021, 08:56:32 pm »

Well, there had been many unpredictable twists and turns this season. You'd probably put a wager on us winning 5 in a row with our form until Christmas. Who knows, really, but there is hope.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4872 on: May 9, 2021, 08:56:40 pm »

The wind-up merchants from the social networks and the internet forums. Man Utd handing over the title to Man City on Tuesday would be a massive blow for any of their match going fans, especially if we also beat them on Thursday ...

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4873 on: May 9, 2021, 08:59:44 pm »

Well, if you look at our last 6 league games, we were minutes away from winning 6 in a row, so I wouldn't rule it out completely ...

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4874 on: May 9, 2021, 09:09:47 pm »
How is that shameful?
I don’t get you lot - you want a rivalry or not?... we’d want our manager to do exactly the same thing. They should want to stamp on our throats and vice versa

Everyone is a hypocrite. Including me I should add. But you very much see it on here!

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4875 on: May 9, 2021, 09:17:40 pm »
i made this point already and i know there is little chance of united winning the league but it is still possible mathematically.

one of the main components of a winning mentality is  tostay going to the end. if they fielded a weaken side against Leicester and lose it would look awful for them. they would be effectively throwing in the towel. there is also fact that chelsea and leicester could finish above them too.  there is no guarantee they will beat us either and 2 losses in a few days could do alot of damage.

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4876 on: May 9, 2021, 09:26:59 pm »
How is that shameful?
Are you off your trolly pal.  Rivalry or not, there’s only 3 or 4 games left in the season and if you still have a chance of winning it with only 3 -4 games left then you try your best, irrespective of rivals.   I don’t get you at all

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #4877 on: May 9, 2021, 09:35:27 pm »
How is that shameful?

Fuck that - I wouldn't want us to throw a game regardless of the impact on United.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #4878 on: May 9, 2021, 09:39:40 pm »
i made this point already and i know there is little chance of united winning the league but it is still possible mathematically.

one of the main components of a winning mentality is  tostay going to the end. if they fielded a weaken side against Leicester and lose it would look awful for them. they would be effectively throwing in the towel. there is also fact that chelsea and leicester could finish above them too.  there is no guarantee they will beat us either and 2 losses in a few days could do alot of damage.

Exactly - beat Leicester and they're 7 points behind with three to play. City have lost 2 out of the last 5 games. If we were in that situation and we threw a potential chance to win the league just to fuck over another team I'd be fuming.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4879 on: May 9, 2021, 09:55:11 pm »

We've only got 4 games left. We may only need to win 3 and draw one.

Things are looking a hell of a lot better tonight than they did a week ago. We have a reasonable chance of fourth now.
I think we can get something against the mancs. Some people in here making them out to be some invincible juggernaut, they're really not.