Author Topic: Playstation 5 (2020)  (Read 146734 times)

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
Re: Playstation 5 (2020)
« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2020, 11:40:04 pm »
Wonder if there will be some kind of pro mode for this gens last titles?

Cyberpunk is already getting a PS5 upgrade, Ghost has to surely?

Mafia trilogy will be class aswell!

Could start the next gen with Fifa, Tony Hawks and Cyberpunk. Enough to keep anyone going for a while!

I'm no expert but I assume you'd see improvements straight off the bat.  That's certainly an assumption on my part though.

One thing I'd say though, I'd want to plug my external HDD in to play the PS4 games.  So it wouldn't make use of the SSD.  825GB is not enough real estate to waste it on old games.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2020, 11:45:47 pm »
I'm no expert but I assume you'd see improvements straight off the bat.  That's certainly an assumption on my part though.

One thing I'd say though, I'd want to plug my external HDD in to play the PS4 games.  So it wouldn't make use of the SSD.  825GB is not enough real estate to waste it on old games.

Also, there'd be not point in choosing to put them on the SSD - due to the way they've been built, you're not going to see much improvement on using the internal NVMe SSD with the 5.5GB/s bandwidth, as they won't be anywhere near maxing it out - a decent external SSD connected through USB3 should be able to get 100-200 MB/s  - easily more than current bandwidth from internal storage, and given the games have been built around that, should be fine.  Also, don't forget you can get any "vetted" internal SSDs to expand the storage - which is a lot more flexible than the X's approach of proprietary storage even if it's not quicker (for now - they have said the internal bay they've created will actually be able to take advantage of 4 channels of PCI4 - so actually  a theoretical max of slightly higher than the inbuilt one, although that's necessary as you won't have the new I/O chip decoding it all before it hits the CPU itself.

• Kopite
« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2020, 12:01:33 am »
Also, there'd be not point in choosing to put them on the SSD - due to the way they've been built, you're not going to see much improvement on using the internal NVMe SSD with the 5.5GB/s bandwidth, as they won't be anywhere near maxing it out - a decent external SSD connected through USB3 should be able to get 100-200 MB/s  - easily more than current bandwidth from internal storage, and given the games have been built around that, should be fine.  Also, don't forget you can get any "vetted" internal SSDs to expand the storage - which is a lot more flexible than the X's approach of proprietary storage even if it's not quicker (for now - they have said the internal bay they've created will actually be able to take advantage of 4 channels of PCI4 - so actually  a theoretical max of slightly higher than the inbuilt one, although that's necessary as you won't have the new I/O chip decoding it all before it hits the CPU itself.
Aye, right you are.  Wouldn't make sense putting, e.g., Spiderman onto the SSD when the game code has been specifically written to work on the old hardware.

Mad how that game had to limit speed of web-swinging as it couldn't load the city assets fast enough - the sequel on PS5 might legit blow my head off.

Online bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2020, 01:35:14 am »
I think I've done the 180.  Think I've decided on PS5.  Ghost did it.  Yeah it's a current gen game.  But the only Xbox exclusive I would want to play as much as that is a potential new Fable game.

Of course, I'm a fickle POS, so if Xbox show some genuinely good exclusives at their event, I can be swayed.  But similarly, Sony announce God of War 2 and it's game over.

I wouldn't worry about that
Twitter: @Bailey_90

• Kopite
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2020, 01:39:48 am »
I wouldn't worry about that
No, don't think that's fair. They've now got 14 studios. All 14 are developing next gen games. Obsidian have two teams and are developing an additional unmentioned game. That's 15 first party games. Plus 3rd party exclusives e.g. Medium.

Spencer knows. Whether it translates I dunno. But Spencer knows.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2020, 08:49:50 am »
No, don't think that's fair. They've now got 14 studios. All 14 are developing next gen games. Obsidian have two teams and are developing an additional unmentioned game. That's 15 first party games. Plus 3rd party exclusives e.g. Medium.

I’ll never understand why everyone loves Phil Spencer. It’s very weird.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2020, 09:29:01 am »
I’ll never understand why everyone loves Phil Spencer. It’s very weird.

He just helps people find the houses they need, what's not to like?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2020, 09:43:36 am »
He just helps people find the houses they need, what's not to like?

Haha! I’ve just never known who the big boss is at PlayStation and don’t care to. It seems the Xbox fans love this guy though as if he is Klopp or something.

• Kopite
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2020, 10:22:04 am »
Haha! I’ve just never known who the big boss is at PlayStation and don’t care to. It seems the Xbox fans love this guy though as if he is Klopp or something.
Mark Cerny is the PlayStation equivalent. Seems a nice guy, but he's boring as fuck. Spencer is charismatic, he engages with fans on Twitter, he's very open and he's dragging Xbox out of the absolute hole they were in. I don't see what's weird about it.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2020, 11:33:19 am »
Mark Cerny is the PlayStation equivalent. Seems a nice guy, but he's boring as fuck. Spencer is charismatic, he engages with fans on Twitter, he's very open and he's dragging Xbox out of the absolute hole they were in. I don't see what's weird about it.

Maybe it’s the fact a business executive gets his name chanted at gaming events by people who buy the product he is selling.

Bizarre.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2020, 12:30:29 pm »

Mark Cerny isn't the equivalent. Herman Hulst is the equivalent, before that Shu Yoshida.

Mark Cerny is a designer, these boring as fuck people design our games and architecture for the systems we play on.

Phil Spencer is a salesman in comparison.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:32:29 pm by naYoRHa2b »

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2020, 01:23:01 pm »

They aren't equivalents - but if they were, there is still a massive difference -

Cerny has a 35+ year history in making games AND hardware, things like Marble Madness in 82 when he single handedly developed the game at age 18, single handedly saving Sega with Sonic 2, consulting on early ps1 and ps2 classics like Crash, Spyro, Jack and Dexter and ratchet & clank; through to halping to make the PS2 architercture, before leading the creation of of the PS4 and now PS5.

On the other hand Spencer is a business executive, with zero experience of making a single game, and his only experience in software is helping in the 90s with the creation of Encarta and other even less-remembered business-focussed things like Works and Money.  He does seem to be one of those executives who do care about the consumer, and making sure that the games are the focus, but without the experience of actually making sure that the games being created are good.

Spencer's equivalents are either Herman Hulst in terms of Studios (and he has the background of Guerilla Games, and making Killzone and HZD), or Jim Ryan (who like Spencer is a business exec first and foremost, but unlike Spencer he doesn't really do much in the way of press conferences about the PS stuff, preferring to let people like Cerny and Hulst take the lead).

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

• Kopite
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2020, 04:02:30 pm »
Mark Cerny isn't the equivalent. Herman Hulst is the equivalent, before that Shu Yoshida.

Mark Cerny is a designer, these boring as fuck people design our games and architecture for the systems we play on.

Phil Spencer is a salesman in comparison.

They aren't equivalents - but if they were, there is still a massive difference -

Cerny has a 35+ year history in making games AND hardware, things like Marble Madness in 82 when he single handedly developed the game at age 18, single handedly saving Sega with Sonic 2, consulting on early ps1 and ps2 classics like Crash, Spyro, Jack and Dexter and ratchet & clank; through to halping to make the PS2 architercture, before leading the creation of of the PS4 and now PS5.

On the other hand Spencer is a business executive, with zero experience of making a single game, and his only experience in software is helping in the 90s with the creation of Encarta and other even less-remembered business-focussed things like Works and Money.  He does seem to be one of those executives who do care about the consumer, and making sure that the games are the focus, but without the experience of actually making sure that the games being created are good.

Spencer's equivalents are either Herman Hulst in terms of Studios (and he has the background of Guerilla Games, and making Killzone and HZD), or Jim Ryan (who like Spencer is a business exec first and foremost, but unlike Spencer he doesn't really do much in the way of press conferences about the PS stuff, preferring to let people like Cerny and Hulst take the lead).

Fair enough, yes - they don't have the same role, I was wrong to say that.

I guess I just mean that they're the go-to guys (for me, anyway) - I want to hear from Spencer when Xbox do a presentation, not Aaron Greenberg.

I know it seems weird to some people to "like" a corporate figurehead - I don't think there's another industry where I feel the same. I think it's because gaming has always been very important to me. I have so many good memories of the 360 but the One launch was a total shit show. Spencer has chosen to publicly accept that, and he's chosen to push ahead with so many gamer-centric decisions e.g. Game Pass, Xbox Game Studios etc. He's open, he talks to the consumer and he does it in a relatable way.  He's believable.

(I shouldn't have described Mark Cerny as "boring as fuck" - that's not fair. He's still the guy I like to hear from as he knows his system inside out, the PS5 spec reveal was really interesting to me to hear things spoken about in such technical detail)

All that said, I am now 95% sure I'm going PS5 on launch ;D

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2020, 05:55:10 pm »
Fair enough, yes - they don't have the same role, I was wrong to say that.

I guess I just mean that they're the go-to guys (for me, anyway) - I want to hear from Spencer when Xbox do a presentation, not Aaron Greenberg.

I know it seems weird to some people to "like" a corporate figurehead - I don't think there's another industry where I feel the same. I think it's because gaming has always been very important to me. I have so many good memories of the 360 but the One launch was a total shit show. Spencer has chosen to publicly accept that, and he's chosen to push ahead with so many gamer-centric decisions e.g. Game Pass, Xbox Game Studios etc. He's open, he talks to the consumer and he does it in a relatable way.  He's believable.

(I shouldn't have described Mark Cerny as "boring as fuck" - that's not fair. He's still the guy I like to hear from as he knows his system inside out, the PS5 spec reveal was really interesting to me to hear things spoken about in such technical detail)

All that said, I am now 95% sure I'm going PS5 on launch ;D

He is - also he wasn't actually in charge of the division before or during the Xbox One launch - he didn't have to take personal ownership for it as much as he did and I do respect him.  I'd actually consider him similar to Steve Jobs - with Cerny being more like Woz.  A very good exec & salesman who actually understands his customers and realises that the best way of making money for the department is to actually listen to them and try to change.   I used to really like Andrew House, who had a similar role before 2017 for Sony, as he has a good history in the video game industry (was always willing to go on Giantbomb and the like) and was personable and friendly like Spencer - am less knowledgeable about Jim Ryan, who appears to have kept himself out of the limelight whilst running Europe, and now the whole of SIE. 

Online bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2020, 07:01:42 pm »

I can't remember an Xbox exclusive game this gen that made me think I had to go out and buy one.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

• Kopite
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2020, 07:03:37 pm »
I can't remember an Xbox exclusive game this gen that made me think I had to go out and buy one.
Yeah they've been broadly shite on this gen, not denying that.  PS4 is on a different planet in that regard.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2020, 12:53:15 pm »

Gears 5 maybe but I doubt I would've as I hadn't played the others.I bought one because I wanted to play The Witcher 3 & my gaming rig had decided to give up the ghost just before release.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2020, 01:13:04 pm »
I'll probably be buying both X1X and PS5.  Just need to buy a 4k HDR tv to play them on now!  As much as I love my old 1080p panasonic plasma, it's probably time to upgrade.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2020, 02:31:54 pm »
Ah Panny plasma sets, good times. They really were something else, before they died out. Great for gaming with instant response time and rich black LEDs can only dream of.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #180 on: May 18, 2020, 05:32:36 pm »
Ah Panny plasma sets, good times. They really were something else, before they died out. Great for gaming with instant response time and rich black LEDs can only dream of.
Yeah it’s still going strong, which is why I’m reluctant to upgrade. I just want to see what all the fuss is about with 4K and HDR for gaming and movies.  Maybe I’ll keep both

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #181 on: May 18, 2020, 05:37:28 pm »

What about OLED? You can't get blacker than turning the LEDs off.
:D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2020, 06:47:35 am »
Pretty sure that’ll be impossible as every game would be designed to have an SSD in mind. Even if there’s a way you get it to run it’ll be extremely choppy (See Star Citizen, the only game that has an SSD as a minimum requirement).

Cerny’s confirmed that you can put in your own SSD though, and Gaming wise differently species SSDs tend to not have much difference so even a bog standard SSD will do.

Unless you mean you’ll just use the HDD for storage and play games off the SSD in which case, carry on  ;D
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2020, 09:12:14 am »
You'll be able to run ps4 games on PS5 off an external mechanical  hard drive. You can only use off the shelf PS certified SSD's, none which will be available on launch. Currently no single off the shelf SSD is as fast as PS5 SSD but they'll be coming not long after launch but its important you don't just get any old SSD, they stressed that in the deep dive.

• Kopite
« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2020, 09:40:27 am »
Pretty sure that’ll be impossible as every game would be designed to have an SSD in mind. Even if there’s a way you get it to run it’ll be extremely choppy (See Star Citizen, the only game that has an SSD as a minimum requirement).

Cerny’s confirmed that you can put in your own SSD though, and Gaming wise differently species SSDs tend to not have much difference so even a bog standard SSD will do.

Unless you mean you’ll just use the HDD for storage and play games off the SSD in which case, carry on  ;D
Yes mate I just mean I'd hopefully be able to play my current PS4 library straight off the external HDD - I am very clear that the next gen games require this SSD speed and throughput!

I don't think a bog standard SSD will do for a like-for-like extended storage though - I think it needs to be pretty much approved by Sony as these drives are very rare at the minute?

You'll be able to run ps4 games on PS5 off an external mechanical  hard drive. You can only use off the shelf PS certified SSD's, none which will be available on launch. Currently no single off the shelf SSD is as fast as PS5 SSD but they'll be coming not long after launch but its important you don't just get any old SSD, they stressed that in the deep dive.

Just read this after typing my reply - aligns with my understanding on the SSD, and glad to hear that my external HDD should be fine for back-compat.  I'm still way behind on PS4 exclusives and will absolutely 100% not have completed the ones I want to still play before the PS5 comes (FF7, Ghost, TLOU2 (I haven't finished TLOU 1 yet), Persona 5 Royal, possibly Shadow of the Colossus.  I'm halfway through Uncharted 4 but that's with one day playing it, I'll be finished it by the weekend, it's incredible)

Do you think the likes of Ghost will have a PS5 "enhanced" version straight off the bat/early on?  I might just park it until Christmas if it does.  It looks so good, I wouldn't want to buy it in July and rush it to get it done.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2020, 10:19:03 am »
I hope there is some kind of enhanced version or boost mode along with a program similar to smart delivery. Should find out soon.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: May 25, 2020, 08:10:41 pm »
Anybody think this will have android tv for streaming since a lot Sony TVs do? I’m thinking of getting a shield tv but would make me far likely to hold on and get a ps5 if it could act as a proper streamer.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2020, 04:36:23 pm »
June the 4th just been announced. Should see new shiny things hopefully!

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: June 1, 2020, 08:48:51 pm »
June the 4th just been announced. Should see new shiny things hopefully!
PS5 event now delayed, somewhat understandably.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: June 1, 2020, 08:59:02 pm »
Yeah that's fair enough. Like they said, more important voices to be heard right now.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #190 on: June 1, 2020, 10:37:24 pm »
Yet still some people bitched and moaned about it on the social media announcements

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 8, 2020, 05:59:44 pm »
Event has been rescheduled to June 11th at 9pm.

Been an ad running on twitch for it.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: June 9, 2020, 12:32:57 pm »
Any word on what games they might showcase during the event?

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 9, 2020, 12:35:09 pm »

There was a rumour a few days ago that Bloodborne will be announced for PC and a remake will be announced for PS5 which seems a bit weird as it only came out 5 or so years ago.

I can imagine there to be many third party games like Assassins Creed etc and 1 or 2 exclusives.

(Hoping for a new Batman game, finally!!)

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #194 on: June 9, 2020, 12:38:09 pm »
A new Wipeout and I’m sold.
AHA!

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 9, 2020, 12:43:52 pm »
There was a rumour a few days ago that Bloodborne will be announced for PC and a remake will be announced for PS5 which seems a bit weird as it only came out 5 or so years ago.

I can imagine there to be many third party games like Assassins Creed etc and 1 or 2 exclusives.

(Hoping for a new Batman game, finally!!)

I guess they might be able to show some of the Spider-Man sequel, since that's a Sony exclusive. Maybe too early though.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 9, 2020, 01:08:49 pm »
Silent Hill reboot.
Horizon Zero Dawn 2
Spiderman 2
Bloodborne Remaster
Demon Souls Remake
Ratchet and Clank
GT7

All possibilities. Bluepoint have been working on something pretty big, could be Demon Souls related. Sony Santa Monica are also working on something. Housemarque have been working on a new game for 3 years. You also have Japan Studio. On top of that Godfall which has been shown briefly.

Also recommended to wear headphones as they'll likely demonstrate the audio side of things which they are pushing pretty hard. Also it's over an hour long

• Kopite
« Reply #197 on: June 9, 2020, 01:40:53 pm »
Silent Hill reboot.
Horizon Zero Dawn 2
Spiderman 2
Bloodborne Remaster
Demon Souls Remake
Ratchet and Clank
GT7

All possibilities. Bluepoint have been working on something pretty big, could be Demon Souls related. Sony Santa Monica are also working on something. Housemarque have been working on a new game for 3 years. You also have Japan Studio. On top of that Godfall which has been shown briefly.

Also recommended to wear headphones as they'll likely demonstrate the audio side of things which they are pushing pretty hard. Also it's over an hour long
I think we might get GoW 2 cinematic trailer too, unless they're only wanting to use gameplay footage at this particular event.

I'm sure GoW 2 is coming and I'm sure they'll announce it, even if it's years away.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 12:51:53 pm by OsirisMVZ »

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan