Author Topic: Rafa Benitez - It's a Gran O Tea  (Read 16390 times)

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rafa Benitez - Now with more Dalian Pro
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2020, 12:21:19 am »
His Dalian side have guaranteed top division status with a second leg playoff win. Saw the match earlier and Rafa's side is unsurprisingly well coached.  It's pleasant to see the methodology transfer so well,  the shape,  the cohesive movements of the players...whether it's Liverpool,  Napoli or Dalian.

Where next Rafa.
Do you know what happened this season that had them fighting relegation?

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2020, 01:27:22 pm »
Do you know what happened this season that had them fighting relegation?

They lost / drew  lots of games on fine margins. The goal difference bears that out.  By a goal in the final minutes,  set pieces. I watched around 4 - 5 full games,  saw most of the highlights... The impression I have is that of a cohesive side, a clear identity but let down by moments of poor quality.  Their goalie was fun and competent though,  he had a Reina like assist to Rondon one game,  they can play fast one touch football at times.

Also the foreign centre back signing didn't work out. Rondon and Larsson ( the new winger / 10.)  were excellent.

If Rafa / the club agree on a way forward,  he could build on this,  but the league isn't stable enough in terms of its shape and organisation due to longstanding issues and now Covid. He probably has his eye on a return to Europe.

From the coaching angle I found it very interesting,  the Chinese players have been drilled so well (and they have showed the necessary capacity to learn) they exhibit the same movements we saw when winning the 2nd ball at Liverpool,  how the team moves as one unit behind the ball, their attacks were organised compared to the first season,  very little hesitancy,  delay in any movements.
It's a well coached side,  Rafa hasn't lost anything as a coach but obviously the end result isn't good enough.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 01:35:31 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2020, 11:30:57 pm »
In the last game of their 2020 season, Rafa's Dalian Pro side found themselves in the 11th-12th place playoff against Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s Guangzhou R&F

Dalian Pro were up 3-0 in a massive home win in the first leg, but lost the second leg 0-4 in the 93rd minute to finish 12th.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U_EVFaXOwCU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U_EVFaXOwCU</a>

This was far away from the relegation places of 15th and 16th, so they were safe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Chinese_Super_League#Relegation_stage

I found the whole playoff setup confusing, so I've written a summary of how the competition worked:

Usually, the Chinese Super League (CSL) is in a single traditional league table, and the bottom two teams are automatically relegated to Chinese League One (CL1)

This season, the CSL's 16 teams was divided into two groups of 8 teams, A and B.

A relegation playoff among the bottom 8 teams was played. The last place team in the playoffs was automatically relegated.  The 1st place team from CL1 was automatically promoted.

The 15th, i.e. second to last team went into a sudden death single match playoff against the 2nd place team from CL1. 

So the two groups of 8 in CSL played within each other for 14 games.

The top 4 in both groups, a total of 8 teams went to a championship playoff.

The bottom 4 in both groups, again a total of 8 teams, went to a relegation playoff. 

Essentially, all a team that found itself in the relegation playoff had to do to stay out of relegation trouble was win one home and away round in the first 2 rounds.

Rafa's team won their 1st round, so everything else was pretty much for fun.

“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2021, 01:40:31 pm »
'Rafa Benitez has ended his contract at Dalian Professional. He is looking to return to management.'

^ https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1352949292386955269

'Rafael Benitez leaves Chinese side Dalian Professional by mutual consent':-

https://theathletic.com/news/rafa-benitez-china-liverpool-latest/uioJjC0cM0CJ - or in full, here - https://archive.li/1n7yA

'Rafael Benítez puts clubs on alert after leaving job in China':-

www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/23/rafa-benitez-china-dalian-pro

'Thank you, Dalian' - Benitez goodbye message (23rd January, 2021): www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/whats-on/thank-you-dalian/265 ...

'Unfortunately, like so many things in the last year, Covid-19 has changed our lives and our projects. From today, both my coaching staff and I will sadly no longer be coaching the Dalian Professional F. C. It has been an incredible experience and for this I would like to thank all my staff, coaches, medical and club staff as well as our players; their commitment to us in the first place, their support during the time we were there, and their effort has been magnificent.

The pandemic is still here, for all of us, and supporting our families has been a priority when making this decision.

Behind us, in China, and especially in Dalian, we are leaving many friends and good memories in a great city with very knowledgeable fans. We have tried to learn and understand a new culture and also to transmit a more professional, more European vision of football with a new methodology.

I’m convinced we have left a structure and a methodology that will allow the project to go ahead successfully. Since we arrived, the First Team has been rejuvenated and the foundations have been laid for the future, from the grassroots schools to the top. In addition, it has been done taking into account the training of players in China under a unique project, that combines football and training at school level up until the doors of the professional teams.

I say goodbye sadly under these circumstances, but at the same time I am convinced that the future will be bright for Dalian Pro FC.

Good luck and best wishes.

Rafa Benítez'

Some articles from on Rafa's time out in China...

'Rafa's Chinese adventure is not about the money but everything to do with his love for the game': www.scmp.com/sport/football/article/3017385/rafa-benitezs-chinese-adventure-not-about-money-everything-do-his

'Benitez ready to create ‘something great’ in China': www.globaltimes.cn/page/201907/1156630.shtml

'Rafa is Taking Chinese Football To Another Level by Joining Dalian Yifang': https://pandaily.com/rafa-benitez-is-taking-chinese-football-to-another-level-by-joining-dalian-yifang

'Benitez not about to desert Dalian': www.chinadailyasia.com/article/123264 (training and development of kids, getting more kids into footy, long term planning etc)

'The challenges facing Rafa Benitez in China - and why he should thrive': www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/challenges-facing-rafa-benitez-china-16585104

'Rafa discusses challenges in China': www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/rafa-benitez-discusses-the-challenges-of-working-in-china-six-weeks-after-leaving-newcastle-united-489908

'Differences and Similarities': www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/there-are-still-difficult-times-ahead/132 (early days in China; kindness and positivity from the fans)

'Great EPL day and work in progress in Dalian': www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/great-epl-day-and-work-progress/133 (work on the training ground / complex)

'Christmas and FIFA Club World Cup Experience': www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/christmas-and-fifa-club-world-cup/134 (new season preparations and CWC)

'Difficult times': www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/there-are-still-difficult-times-ahead/135 (COVID and peronsal stories; seeing family, NZ COVID successes etc)

'The relativity of all things': www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/the-relativity-of-all-things/136 (life during COVID, and restrictions in the CSL)

'There re still difficult times ahead': www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/there-are-still-difficult-times-ahead/137 (new CSL format and preparations, COVID)

'5 subs?; no thanks!': www.rafabenitez.com/web/in/blog/5-subs-no-thanks/138 (new training complex, youth coaching & development, long-term planning, training regimes etc)

‘I’ve never known anything like this in my career,’: https://theathletic.com/1605441/2020/02/14/rafa-benitez-coronavirus - or in full, here: https://archive.li/91NaD

'Lack of understanding a frustration for Benitez in CSL: www.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-china-idUKKBN27C1QV

'Frustration builds as Rafa eyes return from China': www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world/rafael-benitez-china-chinese-super-league-dalian-pro-newcastle-united-b857506.html

'The inside story behind Rafa Benitez's struggles in China': www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-story-behind-rafa-benitezs-19102891

'Rafa speaks about working in China': www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9384073/Rafa-Benitez-tough-love-spell-China-desire-return-Premier-League.html

« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 12:12:56 am by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2021, 04:31:57 pm »
Off to Celtic?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2021, 04:40:09 pm »
Off to Celtic?

With the lack of money he would have I cant see it personally

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2021, 06:00:21 pm »
With the lack of money he would have I cant see it personally

There isn't much difference between what Rangers and Celtic spend.

In fact Celtic spent slightly more this season, $-12.32m vs $-11.80m by Rangers (source transfermarkt)

It would set up a stupid "Master vs Apprentice" managers storyline between Rafa and Stevie though.

I can see it now:  "You've mastered nothing but Rangers, Stevie"
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:07:57 pm by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rafa Benitez - Now with less Dalian Pro
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2021, 11:45:39 am »
Think the Celtic rumours are based off a fake letter doing the rounds, but he can do better than that.

After leaving us, he really made some poor career choices didn’t he. I’d like to see him have a successful stint at a decent club.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2021, 12:11:29 pm »
Think the Celtic rumours are based off a fake letter doing the rounds, but he can do better than that.

After leaving us, he really made some poor career choices didn’t he. I’d like to see him have a successful stint at a decent club.
He did, and Celtic will be a terrible move for him. If Rodgers goes to Chelsea, he'd be perfect for the Leicester job.

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2021, 05:47:09 pm »
He did, and Celtic will be a terrible move for him. If Rodgers goes to Chelsea, he'd be perfect for the Leicester job.

Leicester would be ideal for Rafa, IMO.

But according to The Mirror Rafa is indeed off to Celtic.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/breaking-rafa-benitez-appointed-celtic-23374588?fbclid=IwAR1_oweU-ViPs8dy9XJGrbcz2VK538kY3dhU3iXMrhXurGQj0mcVj5_8-ME
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:36:17 pm by Elliemental »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 08:55:14 pm »
BBC says he's having a break and is going neither to Celtic nor Newcastle.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2021, 03:22:07 am »
Counting the steps in the room man,  if he weren't a football coach he would make one hell of a serial killer.  ;D

The commitment to precision is lovely.  Though getting lazy these days Rafa,  I thought at 6 months he would've become passable in Mandarin.  Took me less than that, (basics mind,  not reading literature level)  he had a second year with lockdown too.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2021, 03:43:02 pm »
Rafa has gone from using salt and pepper pots to show team line up formations to Montse at the dinner table, to stopping and starting taped games to show his daughter Agata patterns of play  ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2021, 04:11:48 pm »
Rafa has gone from using salt and pepper pots to show team line up formations to Montse at the dinner table, to stopping and starting taped games to show his daughter Agata patterns of play  ;D

LFC's first female manager?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2021, 06:48:15 pm »
LFC's first female manager?

Would be a better choice than Carra. ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2021, 08:05:33 am »
Peter Crouch on his podcast was talking a little bit about how Pako Ayestarán leaving affected the club. I've seen it discussed a bit between fans, but interesting to hear a player say how he felt Pako was so involved in everything that it clearly altered the clubs running when he left.

Obviously Rafa turned it around and put that amazing title challenge together soon after though, so not as important as some might think!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2021, 12:59:57 pm »
Peter Crouch on his podcast was talking a little bit about how Pako Ayestarán leaving affected the club. I've seen it discussed a bit between fans, but interesting to hear a player say how he felt Pako was so involved in everything that it clearly altered the clubs running when he left.

Obviously Rafa turned it around and put that amazing title challenge together soon after though, so not as important as some might think!

Becoming a bit of a theme at modern-day LFC isn't it... Pako and Željko both splitting with long-term partners in disappointing circumstances.  Thinking about it, didn't Brendan Rodgers rather throw Colin Pascoe under the bus?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2021, 02:23:01 pm »
Becoming a bit of a theme at modern-day LFC isn't it... Pako and Željko both splitting with long-term partners in disappointing circumstances.  Thinking about it, didn't Brendan Rodgers rather throw Colin Pascoe under the bus?

Just the shorts, not the whole Pascoe...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2021, 01:24:46 pm »
Many happy returns big fella  :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2021, 08:55:07 pm »
Happy Birthday indeed Rafa!

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2021, 01:04:33 pm »
Many Happy returns Rafa, you absolute hero.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2021, 11:10:51 am »
Great write up on Rafa & his tactics when he was our boss
https://www.holdingmidfield.com/rafa-benitezs-liverpool/

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2021, 10:32:08 am »
Belated happy birthday boss. I revere him as much as i do Klopp. Legend.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2021, 02:47:06 pm »
Came across this old 'tribute style' Rafa Benitez video earlier today - I think it has been taken down for copyright a few times over the years - so some may not have seen it...

'Thank You Rafa Benitez by ElAlonso [TTMCC - June Winner]':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9OHC7lIfvk4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9OHC7lIfvk4</a>

The link to a page of Rafa content - videos, threads, information and more... can now be found here (in the 'Rafa Benitez - A Picture Tribute' thread):-

www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=258907.msg18194356#msg18194356

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video thread' content info for years gone by, recent times, Season Reviews, Cup Final victories - Domestic, European, and World, etc:-

www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576 & www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.0

« Last Edit: July 4, 2023, 09:23:02 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2021, 10:50:30 pm »
Came across this old 'tribute style' Rafa video earlier today- I think it has been taken down for copyright a few times over the years - so some may not have seen it...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9OHC7lIfvk4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9OHC7lIfvk4</a>

I'm usually not a fan of those compilation videos, but I could watch this all day. It's just perfect. I still love the "Rafa, don't walk through the storm we'll carry you". Rafa is a completely different type of manager compared to Klopp, but just like Klopp he managed to make the supporters believe (especially in European matches).

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2021, 07:36:31 pm »
Came across this old 'tribute style' Rafa video earlier today- I think it has been taken down for copyright a few times over the years - so some may not have seen it...

Couldn't help listening to that and remembering Button Moon and Rent-a-ghost..

Oh yeah, and Rafa is a Legend.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
Re: Rafa Benitez - It's a Gran O Tea
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2021, 07:16:06 pm »
I hope Rafa knows what he is getting himself into, going to the bluenoses. Will he get the respect from their fans considering his past affiliations with us?

But one thing has got me during the build up to his appointment.

The incident where some idiot sent a message on the bedsheet saying,

'We know where you live!'

Well, obviously they don't, coz they left it outside the wrong house 😂😂😂😂😂

What a frickin eejit on so many different levels

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #68 on: July 1, 2021, 07:11:04 pm »
I hope Rafa knows what he is getting himself into, going to the bluenoses. Will he get the respect from their fans considering his past affiliations with us?

But one thing has got me during the build up to his appointment.

The incident where some idiot sent a message on the bedsheet saying,

'We know where you live!'

Well, obviously they don't, coz they left it outside the wrong house 😂😂😂😂😂

What a frickin eejit on so many different levels

That was absolutely priceless, in all fairness. Pure Blueshite gold.

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 2, 2021, 12:17:01 am »
I love Rafa and always will, though I will probably change my avatar for a while if he's doing a stint as a Bluenose ;)

The main thing though is that he clearly loves the city, wants to live in Liverpool, has always wanted his family to be in Liverpool. In fact, it makes me deeply proud that he's so keen to return to the city of Liverpool that he'd even take such an utterly shite job. Shows how much he loves the place!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #70 on: July 2, 2021, 01:00:56 am »
I love Rafa and always will, though I will probably change my avatar for a while if he's doing a stint as a Bluenose ;)

The main thing though is that he clearly loves the city, wants to live in Liverpool, has always wanted his family to be in Liverpool. In fact, it makes me deeply proud that he's so keen to return to the city of Liverpool that he'd even take such an utterly shite job. Shows how much he loves the place!

His Mrs is the one who said that they were never moving.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 2, 2021, 11:29:53 am »
His Mrs is the one who said that they were never moving.
Sensible woman. And sensible man for not trying to argue with her!