Author Topic: Resident Evil 7  (Read 10835 times)

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
Re: Resident Evil 7
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2017, 01:11:55 pm »
Picking this up after work. Hope it's just as good without the VR.

Class lad I've completed it twice now great game

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2017, 07:55:29 pm »
Well i played the beginning hour in vr, it's pretty intense. I do want this re7 but think it'll be too much in VR so really 50/50 on it.

Anyone else played the beginning hour and this in VR, how would you compare the two?
I've played a fair chunk of the game in VR, and the demo. It's not as bad as what you imagine, but I won't lie, the first hour is pretty intense, and  one particular part, I just couldn't do. When the game starts fully, it's more or less just as stressful as it was in the Final Hour, but this is mostly down to you being put into a horrible environment that takes time for you adjust to. When things aren't happening, that's when the game is at its worst as far as tension goes. The way the wind bangs the window frames has you shitting yourself and feeling very paranoid. Once Jack shows up and starts stalking you around the house, it's initially nerve wrecking, but again, once you learn his personality and his ways, it becomes both fun and exhilarating at the same time. It's like playing an actual game of 'hide-and-go-seek' and 'two-man-hunt', if you ever played that as a kid. I suppose the only difference is you're now being stalked by an imposing 6 feet something lunatic with a nasty weapon that looks as if it would split you in two. It's when you can't see the fucker and he suddenly shows up that freaked me out.

The needs to be played in VR. There's just no other way to experience the game, and once you've played in VR, playing it in 2d seems redundant. That might sound like hyperbole, but it really isn't. It literally feels like being in that house, and the ability to peer, duck, lean, look around, and all that implies in a game, you just can't get with a TV and controller. The feeling you get when you have to creep through a narrow gap between two walls, for example, is horrific. You feel completely vulnerable, and then your mind starts playing tricks, and you hope to god nothing is waiting at the exit.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:02:13 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2017, 12:37:50 am »
My early worries about the controls have been confirmed. The gameplay is fine when you're exploring, and in most combat situations it adds to your feeling of desperation. A bit like being in a nightmare and not being able to run properly, and in that way it's a good thing. But at the moment I'm on the encounter in the butchers room after looking for the third dog head. Given both the strengths and limitations of the gameplay system they've created, this feels like such a poorly designed fight. Trying to navigate that room is painful.

I hope this is a one off and that there aren't more encounters like this to come. As I said in an earlier post, it's such an incredible game in nearly every other aspect.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: February 3, 2017, 04:00:06 pm »
Think it was a bit overrated in the end, game was way to short and the 2nd half of the game was nowhere near as good as the 1st part, which was much more intriguing being in the house along with the bakers.  Do we always have to put a little girl into a horror story so predictable..lost interest in the plot in the 2nd part part of the game. Also wish there was a harder difficulty for 1st playthrough , normal was way to easy.

Ai was slow aswell i just walked past them in many scenes not having to fire any bullets. How bad was the final boss fight by the way a few shots to the face done after 2 mins..
« Last Edit: February 4, 2017, 11:30:44 am by Greatness »

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #124 on: February 4, 2017, 09:53:54 pm »
Finished it last night. I'll give it a strong 8/10.

Early on I felt like the main strength of the game was it's atmosphere. The setting, the characters, the minimal dialogue and back story...it all created this incredibly immersive and terrifying experience. The gameplay issue I mentioned was thankfully only limited to one encounter too. My initial impressions were so good that I couldn't see myself giving it anything other a solid 10/10 upon completion.

Sadly, the second half simply wasn't the same standard as the first. It went from the eeriness of the main house and old house, to that tedious ship and blandness of the salt mine. From Jack and Marguerite to the comical Lucas. The Zoe character was involved far too briefly and the boss encounters were just a series of slightly bigger creatures one after another. I felt like it lost all of the scariness it had early on.

Still a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable game. One that I'll definitely play again. I'm just a little disappointed it couldn't capitalise on it's strong first half.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 4, 2017, 10:14:25 pm »
As I said, you get the absolute most out of this game in VR. I tried a particularly scary bit in 2d (literally any area that is dark as fuck) last night because I couldn't venture inside a room in VR.
Nothing. Absolutely nothing perturbed me. It didn't even feel like the nerve shredding madness you experience in the headset. One thing I noted was that some of the post effects are completely turned off for the VR mode, like the volumetric lighting and soft shadows, which add to the errieness. Doesn't matter, though. Seeing how large things are in your face makes up for that. Margaret is one creepy-looking bitch when she transforms. Catching her peering from a hole in the roof waiting for you looks freaky as shit. The boss fights in VR are fantastic fun, though. Especially Jack's in the dissection area. Got the two keycards. Now onto the next area.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #126 on: February 7, 2017, 10:47:25 pm »
Spoiler
I cannot fucking do the Jack boss fight!!!!!!! Argh it's si frustrating!!!
[close]

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 8, 2017, 02:51:11 pm »
Spoiler
Finally did it after like 30-40 tries!!

Last one I basically just ran at him and cut him with the chainsaw from the off, all the other times I tried to skirt around and cut him here and there. Now onto the main house.
[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 8, 2017, 06:45:32 pm »
Took me about two dozen attempts to beat Jack too. He's easy when you learn his habits. Also,
Spoiler
he's got an eyeball on his back when he's all fucked up and exposed. If you target that, it seems to kill him faster. Timing the block is also key.
[close]
He's a fun boss fight, though. Especially in VR when you're
Spoiler
locking chainsaws.
[close]

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 8, 2017, 06:47:58 pm »
I couldn't do it in VR, far too intense, had to remove the headset and try just on normal.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 9, 2017, 04:20:00 pm »
I couldn't do it in VR, far too intense, had to remove the headset and try just on normal.
Haha.

I know what you mean there, but for some reason I loved it. It was like a battle royal cage death match with weapons. Made it all the more satisfying when I killed him. Even spat on his corpse when he was on the ground. It's the dark, unknown quiet areas that kill me in VR. Can't do those.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2017, 04:38:33 pm »
This is ridiculous on the VR.

I only did the intro level and that was enough...nope, sorry, outta here.  Other half slightly braver but still screamed at certain points.

Needs a health warning - not for big jessies.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2017, 12:46:20 am »
Finished it last night. All in VR.  I feel like I've aged 10 years.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2017, 07:39:17 pm »
Finished it last night. All in VR.  I feel like I've aged 10 years.

Braver man than me, watching the other half play it, time for supper is hilarious

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2017, 10:56:52 pm »
Think it was a bit overrated in the end, game was way to short and the 2nd half of the game was nowhere near as good as the 1st part, which was much more intriguing being in the house along with the bakers.  Do we always have to put a little girl into a horror story so predictable..lost interest in the plot in the 2nd part part of the game. Also wish there was a harder difficulty for 1st playthrough , normal was way to easy.

Ai was slow aswell i just walked past them in many scenes not having to fire any bullets. How bad was the final boss fight by the way a few shots to the face done after 2 mins..

Would agree with this, just about to finish it myself and I wish I'd just ended it after leaving the house. Feels like a slower, less fun version of 5 now.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2017, 04:53:20 pm »
Finished it on the weekend, some on VR some not.

Spoiler
I thought the final boss was useless, I mean it was a fantastically easy kill, the final father boss with all the eyes was harder to kill. Little disappointed with that, I saved up like 10/11 of those bombs and didn't get to use 1 of them.
[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2017, 05:42:22 pm »
Finished it on the weekend, some on VR some not.

Spoiler
I thought the final boss was useless, I mean it was a fantastically easy kill, the final father boss with all the eyes was harder to kill. Little disappointed with that, I saved up like 10/11 of those bombs and didn't get to use 1 of them.
[close]
Yeah, I agree, although I think the final boss only served as nothing as a revelation in terms of overall plot and where they are taking the series in general. I didn't mind how easy it was, though. Sometimes just making the final boss really hard to beat for the sake of nothing other than "its the final boss" can be a bit tiresome. By that point, having played the entire thing in VR, I was glad it wasn't a bollox to beat. The entire experience of VR was stressful enough, and yet memorable. Regardless, I hear 'Madhouse' difficulty is where its at.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2017, 05:44:32 pm »
I guess, just was expecting something epic and was a little let down. I'll have to run through the entire thing in VR now.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2017, 06:08:00 pm »
Spoilers lads!!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 7, 2021, 10:18:27 am »
With the release of "Resident Evil Village" (today I think?) , I think I might give RE7 a blast on my PS4 then wait until I get a PS5 to play the new one.

Reviews in here tells me its a good game ,but seems VR is the way to go.  Are the VR sets expensive for PS4 guys?

Is the experience truly much better in VR than normal game play?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 8, 2021, 04:19:38 am »
With the release of "Resident Evil Village" (today I think?) , I think I might give RE7 a blast on my PS4 then wait until I get a PS5 to play the new one.

Reviews in here tells me its a good game ,but seems VR is the way to go.  Are the VR sets expensive for PS4 guys?

Is the experience truly much better in VR than normal game play?
It's not even comparable. That's how big of a difference it makes. That might sound hyperbolic, but it really isn't. RE7 in flat is just playing a game. In VR, it's an experience. You're literally in that house, and it's fucking terrifying at times. To progress through certain areas, I'd to remove the headset and play it on the TV. My brain just refused to go into certain areas. Definitely worth investigating getting a headset to experience it, but if you're new to VR, there's a few caveats.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #141 on: May 8, 2021, 06:29:06 am »
It's not even comparable. That's how big of a difference it makes. That might sound hyperbolic, but it really isn't. RE7 in flat is just playing a game. In VR, it's an experience. You're literally in that house, and it's fucking terrifying at times. To progress through certain areas, I'd to remove the headset and play it on the TV. My brain just refused to go into certain areas. Definitely worth investigating getting a headset to experience it, but if you're new to VR, there's a few caveats.

Best VR experience ever; it was worth buying the headset to experience this game, its scary as fuck at times.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 8, 2021, 11:05:09 am »
Did you guys play this with motion controllers or aim controller?

Or just VR headset and DualShock4?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 8, 2021, 06:13:29 pm »
Did you guys play this with motion controllers or aim controller?

Or just VR headset and DualShock4?
This is one of the caveats I'm talking about. RE7 was very early in the PSVR - and VR in general - life cycle, so when they made it, it was basically just tacked on. What that means is no motion controls. I remember playing it for the first time and imagining being able to physically open doors with my hands and nudging them open, or being able to draw your gun up to aim and fire it. VR has moved on massively since then, and that kind of experience I'm talking about can be had on Saints and Sinners. The only game I think is superior to RE7 for those reasons in that it was built to take advantage of VR from the ground up. In RE7 you use the DS4, and when you get the gun, it sort of attaches itself to your head, or below what would be your chin. You use your head to aim. It works a lot better than what it sounds like, and if you haven't played anything like Saints and Sinners in VR, then it won't really bother you. The immersion you get just from "being there" is enough, and it's still more immersive than most VR games, even with VR-centric control mechanics.

I've zero interest in RE8 because I played RE7 in VR. There was strong rumours it was ported to VR, but nothing has been revealed, and I can only assume, and hope, that it was because they want it to be a PSVR2 exclusive. That would make sense given (another one of those PSVR1 caveats) PSVR2 removes all the barriers of entry and will have a unified industry standard controller and tracking method. They might also be working on the game to take advantage of the new orb controller features.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2021, 12:02:59 pm »
Cheers Mac

So am i reading this right.  In RE7 you use your VR headset for aiming weapons and the DS4 for shooting/melee whatever?

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2021, 08:00:29 am »
Cheers Mac

So am i reading this right.  In RE7 you use your VR headset for aiming weapons and the DS4 for shooting/melee whatever?

In RE7 the headset can be used to make small adjustments to aiming but you move horizontally with the right analog stick.

Looks like there might be a new headset on the horizon (well I say horizon but probably years!) So might be worth keeping an eye on that also

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2021, 09:40:03 pm »
Cheers Mac

Sort of, yeah. Your hands are just sort of disconnected, floating there at your side. I've a feeling they were going for motion controls, but probably were inexperienced or hadn't enough time to get it working, so they ditched them. When you pick up weapons, a small white dot appears in the middle of your vision, and you just essentially use your head to put the dot where you want to shoot. That simple. It might seem odd me describing it, but you understand what you're doing instantly in the headset, and it works far better than what aiming with a controller would. Your DS4 is used to move around and to interact and pick stuff up like a traditional game.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2021, 09:43:33 pm »

Looks like there might be a new headset on the horizon (well I say horizon but probably years!) So might be worth keeping an eye on that also
New headset is already confirmed, as are the controllers, which have already been shown. There were leaks yesterday suggesting the headset will have a 4k screen (not sure if its per eye) and will have built in haptics, an IPD adjuster, wider FOV, and crucially, eye tracking that allows for foveated rendering. If all of these are true, then that's an industry leading headset.

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2021, 09:19:37 am »
House Beneviento what the actual f**k
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be