Author Topic: Fear The Walking Dead  (Read 41156 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Fear The Walking Dead
« on: August 24, 2015, 05:30:04 pm »
Initial thoughts on Fear the Walking dead?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 07:09:41 pm »
slow burner, built the tension up slowly without too much happening, hopefully it'll kick off properly next week

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 07:25:20 pm »
Initial thoughts on Fear the Walking dead?

How on earth have they time travelled a younger Megan Fox to play the daughter?  :D

Thought it was good to be honest, some dodgy acting from the mother. But the son and the step father were very good I thought. The tension and confusion came across very well I thought

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:25:34 am »
Nevermind Megan Fox, what about the tech? I suppose they haven't pinned down the year in TWD, but the phones they had seemed to be from now, rather than five years ago.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 03:15:47 am »
on Fear, last time i was this bored was watching Terminator Genisys. nothing doing.

i really liked how the original first WD episode had you drawn into a sympathetic main character in an already dire situation and then kaboom! shit just got real.
this however starts out as a subpar imitation of The Wire for the first 2/3rds without a strong center (am i supposed to care for anyone in this?) and then... out with a whimper not a bang..

kinda like Man Utd these days..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:26:07 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 03:27:08 am »
Many have been put off by The Wire's first episode...

It's also unfair to compare this to TWD pilot. This time around we know what's going on. So Gloria's turning is no shock. There are also no stand out characters, but then were there after the first episode of TWD?

I really think this has to be viewed through a completely independent eye, which is going to be quite the trick.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:30:54 am by Impolite King Brian Blessed »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 03:30:31 am »
Many have been put off by The Wire's first episode...

not me, love it, one of the best series ever. i get that Fear needs to start somewhere prior to the outbreak but i couldnt connect with the family drama in this. theres still hope, just the first episode, but cant say any of the characters appeal to me. yet

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 03:31:33 am »
See my substantial edit :P

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 03:38:15 am »
See my substantial edit :P

fair enough. it showed some promise but really could've used some OOMPH factor in the end just to give us something to chew on, hoping for a stacked second episode in any case

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 06:16:32 am »
wow.  i didn't think TWD franchise could plumb any greater depths...

the good thing about the TWD pilot and first season, before it became shit, was that it took an already dark comic book story, and lavished it with cinematic love and the modish 'troubled men' of the golden era of TV.  FTWD, on the other hand, takes the plot of a 1980s made-for-TV movie, and lavishes it with the visual style of a 1980s made-for-TV movie, and the two-dimensional characters of a 1980s made-for-TV movie.

i don't buy that this needs to stand independently.  it's not like 'better call saul', which took a different approach to an existing character in a different era and stage of his life.  FTWD is the same outbreak, the same world, the same timeframe, and the same audience who have stuck with TWD for however long it's been.  and as such it's really inexcusably bad for a pilot.

a couple of nice touches though - good to see that the famed TWD attitude to black people is just the same, with one dead and the other presumed dead.  nice also to see that the terrible soundtrack persists in california (?), just as it did in georgia.

Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 09:20:38 am »
You know, if you leave out all the important stuff like the plot - which we already know of due to it's parent series - character introductions, development blah blah blah, and you still try to view this with a perspective that it's it's own thing, then you're still left scratching your head at it and wondering "what's the point?" to all it's banality. It reminded me of Romero's terrible Diary of the Dead. "Here, look at this footage on my iphone 6 of a bloke getting 20 bullets pumped into him but he's still coming!!! Then the head shot!" Yawn! We get it, zombies, dead, need a bullet to the head. If I see another teenager in the next episode going on about tweets or Facebook, I'm gonna punch my monitor. Isn't this supposed to be set in a world somewhat similar to our own, but without the social references of it all like TWD is? It's supposed to be the same world, but for some reason it's set in the future, ie today?

Like I said in a previous post in this thread, they had a chance to do something completely different, but once again lack of imagination prevailed. I mean, what's the end game to all this? Another group running around like Rick and co trying to survive?  TWD barely hangs on in that regard in terms of keeping things interesting enough as it is.   

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:25:19 am »
The pilot was so underwhelming and slow.

The acting from the junkie was hilariously bad.

Also another note,nothing has changed regarding black characters in the walking dead universe. :P
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 09:29:52 am »
I didn't mind the slow plot. Just, you know, make it more interesting than some dickhead junkie thinking he was tripping his balls off on a hit of skag, lying in hospital trying to convince his family that what he saw was real. Here's an idea: remember that scientist from the CDC in the first season of TWD? Why not centre it around him and his family instead?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 09:51:04 am »
Maybe we should open a new thread about Fear The Walking Dead? Anyway, felt like a massive introduction( understandable up to a point) until the decent stuff at the end.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 10:56:01 am »
that junkie is apparently the one true king of westeros, being stannis's son :)

it was a bloody windy day when that apple fell from the acting tree...
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 01:22:18 pm »
Fear of the walking dead - The Brady Bunch with the occasional boring zombie.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 02:23:24 pm »
I thought the son was very good, the best actor so far imo

Hate the character like but the actor is playing it well. You could really feel his desperation and confusion thinking that he was insane

Spoiler
in particular when he confessed to killing the drug dealer, only for his body to have disappeared when showing his parents
[close]

Offline Luke 17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 04:03:54 pm »
thought it was alright.. bit of a slow start but hopefully will get better next episode.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 06:51:37 pm »
Enjoyed it - a bit slower than was expecting - but liked the gradual move to the realisation of what is going on as well the 'everydayness' of life before, or rather as the virus is starting to take hold. Seemed to be shot well, and some decent acting. I'll be be back for next week's (like we wouldn't even it was complete shite! :))
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 02:07:08 am »
Thought that was a good pilot that, looking forward to next weeks now.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Mivi

• Strawberry-flavoured Jayne Torvill ; 3,000,000 not out
  • Legacy Fan
  • By the way..........It's been emotional.
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 09:41:57 am »
Anyone got any decent links to download it?
It's cause he loks like a badger. Women fucking love badgers.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 10:54:04 am »
Turned it off after 15 minutes.

The dad was doing my fucking head in.
cyas

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 12:16:33 pm »
Turned it off after 15 minutes.

The dad was doing my fucking head in.

At least you gave it a fair chance  :D

Offline matlfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 12:30:55 pm »
Enjoyed it. Quite slow but i liked the build up of tension. Next weeks looks bonkers by the way.
They mostly come out at night, mostly.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 05:42:40 pm »
I thought it was an ok start. Better than what I expected to be honest.
I'm hoping they draw it out for a few episodes before going full on zombie apocalypse. Some complaints I've seen on other sites are essentially that it's not TWD II yet, but I don't see the point of that. It's a totally different scenario with the characters not knowing what's about to happen, which makes for an interesting change.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 08:23:24 pm »
At least you gave it a fair chance  :D
Trust me, I've watched some proper shit shows! I've even watched both series of the 100 which is utter turd, but even I couldn't stand this pile of shit.

Ill give it another go when i'm more stoned  ;D
cyas

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 11:32:23 pm »
I've even watched both series of the 100 which is utter turd

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

I feel your pain - I underwent The 100 too. But so far this is utopian tv in comparison to that - give it next week mate (Fear The Walking Dead - not The 100).

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 11:38:25 am »
It was always going to be difficult having a 'companion' or 'sister' series.

Theres an interesting article that came from the a recent episode of NPRs Pop culture Happy Hour about the comments from John Landgraf, CEO of FX Networks saying that there is almost too much choice these days.

If this was out instead of The walking dead (i.e. The Walking Dead had not happened) then Im sure Id think it was ace but the inevitable comparison is there and cant be undone

http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2015/08/16/432458841/television-2015-is-there-really-too-much-tv
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 09:30:53 pm »
How on earth have they time travelled a younger Megan Fox to play the daughter?  :D

Thought it was good to be honest, some dodgy acting from the mother. But the son and the step father were very good I thought. The tension and confusion came across very well I thought

Young Megan Fox you say?  :P  Where? When ? What channel?

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 09:41:29 pm »
Young Megan Fox you say?  :P  Where? When ? What channel?

She is also accompanied by a young James Di Franco

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Fear The Walking Dead
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 08:18:36 am »
Talk in here. No need to post on The Walking Dead thread.

The daughter is maybe the only reason from the 1st episode to keep watching.  :D
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 08:34:56 am »
It was always going to be difficult having a 'companion' or 'sister' series.

Theres an interesting article that came from the a recent episode of NPRs Pop culture Happy Hour about the comments from John Landgraf, CEO of FX Networks saying that there is almost too much choice these days.

If this was out instead of The walking dead (i.e. The Walking Dead had not happened) then Im sure Id think it was ace but the inevitable comparison is there and cant be undone

http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2015/08/16/432458841/television-2015-is-there-really-too-much-tv

interesting article, and i can sort of see the point, but i don't think there'll ever be too much choice - audiences will just have to learn to be more discerning. 

i disagree about your comparison too.  if the pilot of FTWD had been the first ever episode of anything WD related on TV, i would most likely not have watched episode 2 (nor ever read the comics), and i doubt it would ever have grown to be the most watched cable series on TV, as audiences aren't stupid. 

it's possibly the most frustrating thing about the pilot - with a huge audience guaranteed between seasons of TWD, there are so many interesting things that could have been done with a spin-off.  it might yet be incredible, of course, but the signs aren't good.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 11:07:15 am »
There is too much TV. You almost get confirmation bias. The youth of today don't have the watching BBC2 because there is bugger all else on experience.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fear The Walking Dead
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2015, 11:10:01 am »
The daughter is maybe the only reason from the 1st episode to keep watching.  :D

Kim Dickens looks excellent for 50, I think.

Not that I'll be watching anyway, not a zombie fan myself.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 04:01:38 pm »
The youth of today don't have the watching BBC2 because there is bugger all else on experience.

is that a bad thing?  when i was a kid, i never had that experience.  there were a handful of shows i watched, and if there was nothing on i'd put on a video or (in the words of WDY) do something less boring instead :)

the only difference now is that today's kids have a massively enhanced virtual VHS collection at their disposal.  the future is going to be less "TV", even if there are actually more shows.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 04:51:57 pm »
is that a bad thing?  when i was a kid, i never had that experience.  there were a handful of shows i watched, and if there was nothing on i'd put on a video or (in the words of WDY) do something less boring instead :)

the only difference now is that today's kids have a massively enhanced virtual VHS collection at their disposal.  the future is going to be less "TV", even if there are actually more shows.

Videos. I remember our first video with remote control on a wire.

I developed a taste for 1950s sci-fi, watched the silent films of Harold Lloyd and Laurel and Hardy, sat through Cliff Richard and Elvis musicals and saw some brilliant old films. Not to mention umpteen Open University films. Today, kids watch dedicated channels with, to my jaded vision, indistinguishable tsunamis of blandness.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2015, 04:55:38 pm »
Videos. I remember our first video with remote control on a wire.

I developed a taste for 1950s sci-fi, watched the silent films of Harold Lloyd and Laurel and Hardy, sat through Cliff Richard and Elvis musicals and saw some brilliant old films. Not to mention umpteen Open University films. Today, kids watch dedicated channels with, to my jaded vision, indistinguishable tsunamis of blandness.

The Test Card wasn't bad. Bit 'samey', but still.

Literally.

:)

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2015, 05:01:25 pm »

Literally.

Teletext with funky muzak was more fast paced.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 05:07:57 pm »

I'm gonna send this to Tim Vine. It's actually pretty good for me.

;D

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2015, 05:15:47 pm »
Teletext with funky muzak was more fast paced.

Did anyone used to do the music and TV quizzes on Ceefax me and my sister used to fight to be the first to take them

Kids, they don't know they're born with their gameboys and sony walkmans
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff