Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5717941 times)

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
Re: I like the fact you underestimate Arsenal this season!!
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2008, 12:12:49 pm »
....have a wage bill that's miniscule compared to the other top teams.....
Their wage bill is higher than ours (or at least it has been the last few years).
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2008, 12:39:40 pm »
eboue as a holding midfielder ;D

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
Oh cos a player who played in the Premier League for two seasons needs time to adjust ::)

the last two years being in the division below?

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2008, 04:00:12 pm »
the last two years being in the division below?

Doesnt mean that when he went down he'd automatically forget how to play in the Prem, and given that he adjusted pretty quicly when he came to the Prem in the first place...
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2008, 04:06:11 pm »
Oh cos a player who played in the Premier League for two seasons needs time to adjust ::)

playing at a new club with all new players around him and a new manger ::)

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2008, 04:56:38 pm »
playing at a new club with all new players around him and a new manger ::)

Every player that joins a new club has to do that

Apart from anything else, given that Fulham are strugglers over the last couple of seasons and West Brom have been near promotion, they're pretty evenly matched...
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2008, 05:16:46 pm »
i wasn't having a go at you. you said you thought, and i said that it was wrong.

i agree with the other points. wenger himself continually claims to have a lot of money available for transfers should he wish. he even mentioned £80 million at one point last season, in what looks like an attempt to draw praise for not spending big. if they dont sign an experienced player to replace flamini, i think these claims will come back and bite him on the arse, with fans becoming fed up of his lack of ambition/financial prude, depending on how you see it

Fair enough, it's just that you didn't bold the 'I think' bit so I thought I'd point it out to you in case you missed it... kind of like this:

Their wage bill is higher than ours (or at least it has been the last few years).
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2008, 05:24:44 pm »
It's Newcastle we all seem to be underestimating. Kev's got his sights set on the league title

At the moment we've got a chance of winning the league

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1375160,00.html

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2008, 05:29:09 pm »
It's Newcastle we all seem to be underestimating. Kev's got his sights set on the league title

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1375160,00.html

:lmao

Has he had a knock on the head or something? They've got more chance of getting relegated than winning the fucking league! Maybe he's thinking of next season in the championship already?!
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2008, 05:34:17 pm »

Has he had a knock on the head or something? They've got more chance of getting relegated than winning the fucking league! Maybe he's thinking of next season in the championship already?!
lol what is going on a few weeks ago kev said there never going to finish 4th  its impossible, and now there aiming to win the treble? carling and fa cup and the league?!!? ;D madness!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 05:36:03 pm by slickman »

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2008, 12:55:11 am »
hehehe
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2008, 02:03:46 am »
hehehe

Now that's plain mean   ;)

You know you should feel sorry.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2008, 02:08:26 am »
I must say alot of you on here think Arsenal will finsh 4th place. I thnk all you fans and pundits are going to be in for a shock if you underesitmate the Arsenal, we maybe young but we finshed 3rd above you last season and this year we can be title contenders no doubt.
I don't think so.

Poor keeper and poor centre backs. Lack of balance in the squad and IMO will come 4th at best. I actually quite like Arsenal because they do lay football but it is about winning and they don't do it.

They will not win the league.

Offline Mother.F

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2008, 02:54:17 am »
Now that's plain mean   ;)

You know you should feel sorry.

Indeed. It's like some people can't help but twist that knife a little bit.  :D

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2008, 03:24:26 am »
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #175 on: September 28, 2008, 03:28:10 am »
Not sure what's funnier about this thread, the Gooner or the "we can win the league" stuff from Keegan. Almost as beautiful as Arsenal's football.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline thredworm

• Makes mods cry.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Stop ze cock jokes!"
  • Super Title: Might be a bit thick if trying to agitate mods.
« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2008, 04:38:20 pm »
Wow, I didn't see this until now. The annual "Arsenal are the greatest side in the world" thread from a gooner on a rival forum while they're playing well.

Is this where I leave a comment about you being ridiculously overrated, weak in midfield, and heavily reliant on youth, just like every other season?

And then do you come back later in the season to criticise your own side after realising once again that you've not had the strength in depth to get the job done, just like every other season?

And is this the thread where you criticise and write off OUR chances, before we knock you out of a major competition, just like every other season?

You gooners are fucking ace, you know that right? Probably THE most predictable fans on the face of the planet.
"We were looking for them to suffer from the very first minute, and they have suffered until the 90th minute."
Rafa Benitez on Real Madrid, 10th March 2009. Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2008, 04:46:33 pm »
Technically excellent, entertaining to watch, as tough as finest crystal glass. The year changes, but the Arsenal stay the same..
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 28, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »
Arsenal will win nothing this season. They might get close-ish to the Carling Cup though... is that a success for them these days?

Yes, it seems. Or maybe it's just playing 'the kids' and winning the odd game by a high margin before completely fucking up in the next game.

2 losses out of 6 games and they were to Fulham and Hull... can't wait until they start playing some decent teams.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 28, 2008, 05:19:50 pm »
I watched Arsenal against Hull. Arsenal was their usual self attacking wise. In midfield, they could not boss as much, which lead to many Hull attacks. Arsenal's midfield by far and long way is the worst among top 4.
Ebue-Fabregas-Denilson-Walcott

Ebue is good because of workrate, otherwise average. For Walcott, you can say he's pacy, but that's it. Denilson can't intervene all attacks and do defensive work for himself. Besides, he's average at it. The only player who is up to the job is Fabregas, who created 3-4 chances, had 2 shots saved. But he is no defensive midfielder either.

Up top, they have Van Persie who can't score goals at all. He hits them randomly with high pace. Adebayor? Man, I can't believe some want him in Barca instead of EtoO. He is at best half as good as EtoO is.

Arsenals defense is just like Barca's defense :D May be even worse. Gallas goes attacking, he is not good any more. Clichy and Sagna are good attackers, poor defenders.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2008, 05:46:30 pm »
Defintion of Arsenal:

Passy, Passy, Passy, Cutesy, Passy, Passy, Passy, Fall over. Cry. (Arsenal crowd shout "HOOFFF!!!" when a player has the cheek to pass the ball over 4 yards). Passy. Fall over. Complain about other nasty teams putting nasty tackles in against their poor little players. Arsene Wenger actually sees this. Passy. (Arsenal crowd shout "HOOFFF!!!" when a player has the cheek to pass the ball over 4 yards). Passy Passy. Passy. Passy. Passy. Moan a bit. Passy. Sulk. Passy. Passy. (Arsenal crowd shout "HOOFFF!!!" when a player has the cheek to pass the ball over 4 yards). Sulk.

Oh.

Goal to them.

Passy. Passy. Passy. (Arsenal crowd shout "HOOFFF!!!" when a player has the cheek to pass the ball over 4 yards). (Arsenal crowd shout "HOOFFF!!!" when a player has the cheek to pass the ball over 4 yards). (Arsenal crowd shout "HOOFFF!!!" when a player has the cheek to pass the ball over 4 yards). (Arsenal crowd shout "HOOFFF!!!" when a player has the cheek to pass the ball over 4 yards). (Arsenal crowd shout "HOOFFF!!!" when a player has the cheek to pass the ball over 4 yards).

Moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:01:13 pm by Andy @ Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 28, 2008, 05:52:51 pm »
Andy, you forgot thier supporters chanting 'HOOF!' every time te opposition plays a pass longer than 20 yards,
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 28, 2008, 05:56:03 pm »

Arsenal? Are they one of those London teams? They were half decent a few years ago...

87:13

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #183 on: September 28, 2008, 05:58:01 pm »
Andy, you forgot thier supporters chanting 'HOOF!' every time te opposition plays a pass longer than 20 yards,

I'm always waiting for them to chant that when Arsenal are chasing a game and are actually hoofing the ball quite often themselves... ;)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2008, 07:01:24 pm »

Amended :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline The_Cutter

• It must be Summer the TdF is on and The Cutter appears!
  • Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2008, 07:31:57 pm »
Andy, where are the cards? All Wenger Arsenal teams feature snidey c*nts. Although you may have a point, Wenger never acknowledges that, so it obviously doesn't exist. Aren't they near the top of the cards table every year?

Anyway they're still just 2 points behind, but lets have fun while we can. :P
"A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end . . . but not necessarily in that order." Jean-Luc Godard

'I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.'

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2008, 08:31:14 pm »
I like the fact that you underestimated Hull City yesterday  :D
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2008, 08:35:18 pm »
Anyway they're still just 2 points behind, but lets have fun while we can. :P

That'll be all season.

There are many reasons why Arsenal won't be able to get near the title this year. They may only be two points behind us at the moment but we're unbeaten whilst they've lost two - once at home and once away. And this was against Fulham and Hull.

The other teams they've played are West Brom, Newcastle, Blackburn and Bolton. Compare that to the teams we've played; Sunderland, Boro, United, Stoke, Everton and Villa.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2008, 08:36:55 pm »
I like the fact that you underestimated Hull City yesterday  :D

Touché sir...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2008, 09:11:52 pm »
Yes, it seems. Or maybe it's just playing 'the kids' and winning the odd game by a high margin before completely fucking up in the next game.

2 losses out of 6 games and they were to Fulham and Hull... can't wait until they start playing some decent teams.

They get their first top 4 test on November 8th when they face United.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2008, 09:19:42 pm »
They get their first top 4 test on November 8th when they face United.

Saturday, 08 November 2008
Barclays Premier League
Arsenal v Man Utd, 12:45

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, 11 November 2008
Carling Cup
Arsenal v Wigan, R4, 19:45

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, 15 November 2008
Barclays Premier League
Arsenal v Aston Villa, 15:00

Saturday, 22 November 2008
Barclays Premier League
Man City v Arsenal, 15:00

Tuesday, 25 November 2008
UEFA Champions League
Arsenal v Dynamo Kiev, G, 19:45

Sunday, 30 November 2008
Barclays Premier League
Chelsea v Arsenal, 16:00

Saturday, 06 December 2008
Barclays Premier League
Arsenal v Wigan, 15:00

Wednesday, 10 December 2008
UEFA Champions League
FC Porto v Arsenal, G, 19:45

Saturday, 13 December 2008
Barclays Premier League
Middlesbrough v Arsenal, 15:00

Saturday, 20 December 2008
Barclays Premier League
Arsenal v Liverpool, 15:00

Friday, 26 December 2008
Barclays Premier League
Aston Villa v Arsenal, 15:00

You don't see too many 3 pointers there for a side as poor as the myopia nursery.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2008, 09:20:32 pm »
LAVLY FATBAWWWWL.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #192 on: September 28, 2008, 09:21:06 pm »
thought it was funny sky making out yesterdays result could write them out the title.....

long way to go, doesn't necessarily look good for them but who knows

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #193 on: September 28, 2008, 09:31:28 pm »
Their problem yesterday was they spent too much time trying to create the perfect goal. Heck, that's been their problem for the past 5-6 years now. Gone are the days when Henry and Bergkamp used to find long shots with unerring accuracy. Now, all they've got is Van Persie who smashes the ball without even the slightest clue as to where the ball might be headed, an adebayor who can't take a shot from lesser than 4 yards out and a fabregas whose long shots are tame to say the least. Too many fancy flicks in a game will get you nowhere. And yes, Wenger needs to take his CBs by the ear and teach them the basics of marking and defending. Gallas' marking was shocking to say the least. Teams like Villa will rape them from set-pieces.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #194 on: September 28, 2008, 09:32:14 pm »
I must admit even though they scored i felt Walcott should have crossed the ball on two occasions earlier than he did

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2008, 09:44:07 pm »
Andy, where are the cards? All Wenger Arsenal teams feature snidey c*nts. Although you may have a point, Wenger never acknowledges that, so it obviously doesn't exist. Aren't they near the top of the cards table every year?

think it is more near the top of fairplay league every year?

thought it was funny sky making out yesterdays result could write them out the title.....

long way to go, doesn't necessarily look good for them but who knows

we had a base at the start of the summer to build a title challenge side. Lost several players which was a blow and while the players we have got in, I have no complaints about them but it is more what we didn't get in. No defensive midfielder (in fairness, we at least tried, just didn't happen), but a stop gap keeper and no tall centreback in the squad as well? That rules us out for me more then two bad defeats. Unless bottom of the table at this point, none of the top four should ever be ruled out simply on six games in, I'm doing so based on too many weak points.

Ok we have players to return (please Arsene, drop Toure), Diaby at least would give us muscle, but I think our best bet this year is the cups. We can add to the team in January which means we can use them for CL (maybe) and Fa Cup. I can't see us pulling a Chelsea style fightback in January though to be there on the last day in the league. Till then, just got to ensure we are in the top four, get past CL group and hope the second string do well in Carling Cup. I expect Ade, Cesc and Van Persie will find form at some point so not too worried about that, the same old can't defend problem though on the other hand... so frustrating. Why is Gallas, a fine defender in open player, suddenly getting out a pillow and going to sleep whenever we concede a corner?

I must admit even though they scored i felt Walcott should have crossed the ball on two occasions earlier than he did

come now, he couldn't control the ball twice when clear. Now you expect him to cross it at right time :P

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2008, 10:10:51 pm »
Correct 4/20 last year.
Spurs first and ourselves 2nd.

Man City in 6th were the highest ranked team who were not already in Europe.

Offline The_Cutter

• It must be Summer the TdF is on and The Cutter appears!
  • Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2008, 10:12:41 pm »
Alright, looked up the actim index. I vaguely remembered something about youse lot having a bad disciplinary record. Was wrong, and to be fair you're generally midtable, been attacking the top4 in the last years. :P What happened in 2001/2002 though? 63 yellows, 6 reds.
"A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end . . . but not necessarily in that order." Jean-Luc Godard

'I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.'

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2008, 10:25:31 pm »
biased referring I tells ya ;) That was the year when Henry tried to thump Poll I think, only time I have seen teams protest against the red card given the other side. We certainly had players with a nasty streak, Cashley, Adams, Dixon, Lauren, Campbell, Berkamp (class player and all but could be a dirty one), Henry, Vieira, not surprising that lot got a lot of cards.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2008, 11:18:02 pm »
biased referring I tells ya ;) That was the year when Henry tried to thump Poll I think, only time I have seen teams protest against the red card given the other side. We certainly had players with a nasty streak, Cashley, Adams, Dixon, Lauren, Campbell, Berkamp (class player and all but could be a dirty one), Henry, Vieira, not surprising that lot got a lot of cards.

Yeah I think i remember one year they got something like red cards for 3 games in a row or something silly like that

YNWA Rafa.