Author Topic: Maggie May's Recipe A Day  (Read 151892 times)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
Re: Maggie May's Recipe A Day
« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2008, 10:01:46 am »
Anyone know a good bombay potato recipe?
Ive never made them and want to impress my girlfriend as she claims she loves them? :wave

cheers in advance.

If not ill google it ;D

Not me - sorry mate.  The only thing I can think of is you look in The Curry Thread and see if its there or if anyone can help you with it.

And its no use.  I can't stop thinking about home made jam tarts, so I'm going to make some this afternoon with Deadly B's recipe.  If any survive mine and Mr May's devourings, our cat minder can munch on them tomorrow.   ;D

And here's my Chinese recipies for today.  I haven't forgotten you Helly, and I'll see if I can find another recipe that can be adapted for James's mini-meals.

Deep Fried Spare Ribs

Serves 4

1 sheet of spare ribs, cut down into individual ribs, and then each chopped into bite sized pieces.
1tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1tsp five spice powder
1 egg, beaten
2tbsp flour
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1tsp spring onions, finely shredded
1tsp fresh red or green chillies, seeded and finely shredded

Prep

Place the five spice powder and rice wine into a large bowl and season to your taste.  I In a medium sized bowl, whisk the egg and blend in the flour to make a batter.  Mix together the spring onions and chillies in a small bowl.

Put the ribs into the bowl with the seasoned spice and wine.  Mix them in until thoroughly coated and leave them to marinate for 2 hours.  Then remove and dip the ribs in the batter one by one to coat them well.

Heat the oil in a wok or a deep pan until it is very hot and slightly smoking.  Add the ribs and deep fry them for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring them to make sure they cook separately.  Then remove them using a slotted spoon and drain them on kitchen towels.

Reheat the oil in the wok or pan.  Return the ribs to the pan and deep fry them for one minute.  Remove them and drain them again on kitchen towels.  Then arrange them on a serving platter.

Pour 1 tablespoon of the hot oil over the spring onions and chillies, and leave them for 30 to 40 seconds.  Then scatter them over the ribs and serve immediately. 

Spinach and Tofu Soup

Serves 4

1 cake tofu
4oz spinach leaves, thoroughly washed and stems removed
1¼ pint chicken stock
1tbsp light soy sauce
Salt and pepper to your taste

Prep

Place a few spinach leaves one on top of the other.  Roll them up tightly into a cigar shape, and using a sharp knife or a cleaver, cut them into ¼ inch wide shreds.  Repeat until all the spinach is cut.  Put the shreds into a bowl.  Cut the tofu into ½ inch cubes.

In a wok or large pan, bring the stock to a rolling boil.  Add the tofu and soy sauce, bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 2 minutes.  Add the spinach and simmer for 1 minute.

Skim the surface of the soup to make it clear, adjust the seasoning to your taste and serve immediately.

Noodles in Soup (Tang Mein)

Serves 4

This recipe calls for chicken fillet, but you can use lean pork fillet if you prefer.

8oz chicken fillets
4 Chinese dried mushrooms, soaked for 30 minutes in warm water
4oz canned bamboo shoots, drained
4oz spinach leaves, or lettuce hearts, or Chinese cabbage as you prefer, shredded.  Stems of the spinach removed and the leaves thoroughly washed.  The centre stems cut out from the lettuce or Chinese cabbage. 
2 spring onions, finely shredded
8oz egg noodles
2 ½ pints chicken stock
2tbsp light soy sauce
2tbsp vegetable oil
1tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
2tsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
A few drops of sesame oil
1tsp red chilli oil (optional)

Prep

Squeeze the mushrooms dry.  Discard the stalks, finely slice the mushroom caps and put them in a bowl with the bamboo shoots, spinach leaves and half of the spring onions.  Put 1 tablespoonful of the soy sauce, the salt, sugar, rice wine or sherry, the sesame oil and the chilli oil (if using) into a bowl.

Cook the noodles in boiling water according to the packet instructions, then drain them and rinse them under cold water.  Put them in a serving bowl or tureen.  Bring the stock to the boil.  Add 1 tablespoonful of the soy sauce and pour the stock over the noodles.  Keep the soup hot.

Heat the wok until hot and add the oil.  When it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the mushroom mixture and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.  Then add the soy sauce mixture and blend well.  Pour everything over the noodles, garnish with the remaining spring onions and serve immediately.

Bang-Bang Chicken

Serves 4

This dish is served cold.  Its good in any buffet - Chinese themed or not.

1¾ pints water
2 skinless chicken quarters (one breast half and one leg)
1 cucumber, cut in half lengthways, deseeded and cut into matchsticks.

For the sauce

2tbsp light soy sauce
1tsp sugar
1tbsp finely chopped spring onions
1tsp red chilli oil
¼ tsp white pepper
1tsp sesame seeds
2tbsp peanut butter, creamed with a little sesame oil

Prep

Just mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl.

Bring the water to a rolling boil in a large pan.  Add the chicken pieces, reduce the heat, cover the pan and cook for 30 to 35 minutes.  Remove the chicken from the pan, and immerse it in a bowl of cold water until it is absolutely cold.

Remove the cold chicken pieces and dry them thoroughly on paper towels.  Then take the meat off the bones.

Put a layer of clingfilm on a flat surface.  Place the boned chicken on it with another layer of clingfilm on top of the chicken.  Pound the chicken well with a rolling pin, then remove the clingfilm, and tear the meat into shreds with two forks.  Mix in the cucumber matchsticks and arrange in a serving dish.  Then pour the sauce ingredients over the chicken and serve.

Twice Cooked Pork

Serves 4

10oz shoulder or leg of pork, in one piece
1 small green pepper, cored and seeded, and cut into one inch chunks
1 small red pepper, cored and seeded, and cut into one inch chunks
4oz can bamboo shoots, drained and cut into one inch chunks
3tbsp vegetable oil
1 spring onion, cut into one inch lengths on the diagonal
1tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1tbsp light soy sauce
1tsp chilli bean sauce
1tsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
A few drops of sesame oil

Prep

Put the peppers, bamboo shoots and spring onion in one bowl.  Put the salt, sugar, soy sauce, chilli bean sauce and wine or sherry into a cup and blend well.

Put the pork into a large pan with boiling water to cover it.  Bring to the boil and skim the surface.  Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.  Turn off the heat and leave the pork in the water to cool for at least 2 to 3 hours.

Remove the pork from the water and drain it well, patting it dry with paper towels.  Trim off any excess fat, and then cut the pork into thin, one inch wide slices.  Set them aside.

Heat the wok, and when it is very hot add the vegetable oil.  When the oil is hot and slightly smoking, add the pepper mixture and stir fry for 1 minute.  Add the pork and the soy sauce mixture and blend together well, continually stirring, for 1 minute.  Sprinkle the sesame oil over and serve immediately.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2008, 12:32:30 pm »
Getting yourself well in to credit here, Maggie. You must be nearing 50 recipes by the end of January, which is an excellent start. Only another 320 or so to go ;D

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2008, 02:25:12 pm »
Getting yourself well in to credit here, Maggie. You must be nearing 50 recipes by the end of January, which is an excellent start. Only another 320 or so to go ;D

Oh joy to the world.   :-\ ;D

I'm thinking about hols (which is going to be at least 20 days away in one go), min-breaks, weekends when I'm not usually on line, falling off the twig and so forth, and worrying that I'm going to be typing like a demon on New Years Eve as the clock ticks away.   :o

But thank you for the compliment, and I didn't realise I'd got nearly 50 - wow.   :D

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2008, 02:29:35 pm »
But thank you for the compliment, and I didn't realise I'd got nearly 50 - wow.   :D

It must be easily around the 40 mark (just going off what I can recall and the flurry of Scottish and now Chinese recipes in recent days) and I reckon possibly more.

Edit: Not counting the melba toast, or the 3 Chinese ones you said you'd already posted before and couldn't count, your current total stands at:

78 :o
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:38:14 pm by blurred, please »

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2008, 04:33:46 pm »
It must be easily around the 40 mark (just going off what I can recall and the flurry of Scottish and now Chinese recipes in recent days) and I reckon possibly more.

Edit: Not counting the melba toast, or the 3 Chinese ones you said you'd already posted before and couldn't count, your current total stands at:

78 :o

:shocked  My gast is well and truly flabbered.   ;D

Offline MomoIsBoss

• Hope he cancelled the milk.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sappnin Lad
« Reply #205 on: January 31, 2008, 12:48:08 am »
Stop arse licking blurred, and admit this is the shittest thread on RAWK at the minute.
We're all laughing at Everton, ha ha ha ha

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2008, 11:52:08 am »
Made the chili beef last night Mags  :lickin :lickin :lickin :lickin :lickin :lickin :-* Thankyou

Helly

« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2008, 11:54:54 am »
Thanks Mags :-*

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: February 4, 2008, 09:39:46 am »
Thank you for this thread Maggie!    :-*  

Do you have any favourite/special stew recipes at all please?  :wave   (check your pm's if you get a chance)

My pleasure my BRG.   :-*

Yes.  I've got a fair few favourite stew recipes.  If you don't mind, what I was planning to do was to post Chinese ones this week, on account of it being Chinese New Year on Thursday, and then I'll start posting some stew ones all next week.

And I've checked my PMs.  I am an idiot - I'm very sorry for being so dozy  :'(

I'm very pleased you liked the Chilli Beef, Lo.  I've found a recipe for chilli oil/chilli dip - simple to do, so I'll post that later today or tomorrow.

And DeadlyB, your jam tarts have gone down a storm.  Mr May devoured all but two, and I thought just leaving them for our cat minder looked a bit stingy, so I made some more.  Now she and her daughter want another helping.  And everyone says the same thing : "Jam Tarts!! Oh yeah.  I haven't had jam tarts for years".   ;D  They're a great success, and many thanks again for posting your recipe.

I've just got one recipe today, as I'm going to be a bit pushed, but I'll post more tomorrow. 

Hot and Sour Soup

Serves 4

2 pints chicken stock
2tsp salt
4oz lean pork, finely shredded
1oz Chinese mushrooms, soaked for 30 minutes in warm water, stems removed and discarded
½ oz Dried Tree fungus or Wood Ear fungus, soaked for 30 minutes in warm water, stems removed and discarded
8oz fresh firm bean curd, drained
2 eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt
4tsp sesame oil
1½ tbs light soy sauce
1tbs dark soy sauce
1tsp white pepper
6tbs cider vinegar
2tsp chilli oil
2tbs coriander, finely chopped

For the marinade

1tsp light soy sauce
1tsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
½ tsp sesame oil
½ tsp cornflour
A pinch of salt
A pinch of sugar

Prep

Mix the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and then add the shredded pork.  Set aside.  Squeeze the liquid from the mushrooms and Tree Fungus, pat them dry with paper towels and shred them finely.  Shred the bean curd into matchsticks, and put the mushrooms and bean curd into one bowl. Combine the beaten eggs and 2tsp of the sesame oil in a cup.  Combine the soy sauces, pepper and vinegar in a cup.

Bring the stock to a simmer in a wok and add the salt.  Stir the pork into the stock and simmer for 1 minutes.  Then add the mushroom mixture and simmer for a further 2 minutes.

Pour the egg mixture into the stock in a slow, thin, steady stream.  Using chopsticks or a fork, slowly pull the egg into strands.  (A figure of eight movement does this well).

Remove the soup from the heat.  Add the soy sauce mixture and give the soup a good stir.  Then stir in the remaining sesame oil, the chilli oil and the corinader and stir again.  Serve immediately. 

« Last Edit: February 5, 2008, 11:07:44 am by Maggie May »

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: February 4, 2008, 02:58:37 pm »
Maggie MAy... Brilliant thread. I think the Mods should set up a new setion just for food... All your recipies could be split up into sections... Absolute awsome reading this this afternoon, and I cant wait to try a few out.
I am quite a good hand in Thai food, as I have been on 3 Thai food courses... but I am hopeless at Indian and deserts. I really want to create Indian at home, but I still havnt masterred 'that' special taste yet. So suggestions for these would be appreciated.

Offline eLVIScOSTELLO

• Kopite
« Reply #210 on: February 4, 2008, 03:07:13 pm »
Mmmmmmmmmmm.....looking forward to the blind emu stew recipe next week....

(Btw, that's a stew with blind emus in it, NOT a stew with no emus in at all) :)

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 4, 2008, 04:49:56 pm »
Maggie MAy... Brilliant thread. I think the Mods should set up a new setion just for food... All your recipies could be split up into sections... Absolute awsome reading this this afternoon, and I cant wait to try a few out.
I am quite a good hand in Thai food, as I have been on 3 Thai food courses... but I am hopeless at Indian and deserts. I really want to create Indian at home, but I still havnt masterred 'that' special taste yet. So suggestions for these would be appreciated.

Hmmmm.  One for those underworked Mods I think.   ;D

Do please post your Thai recipes.  I'm no hand at Thai food myself, but I'm always interested in trying new recipies, and I'm sure many others will be interested too.

Similarly, I've never been one for curries (the heat really - same as Thai I suppose  :-\).  But there's a specially designated thread - The Curry Thread - which I'm sure will contain bags of ideas for you to create that "special taste" you desire.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.....looking forward to the blind emu stew recipe next week....

(Btw, that's a stew with blind emus in it, NOT a stew with no emus in at all) :)

You are a very naughty boy.   :missus  ;)  As if I'd cook a blind emu or any emus at all come to that - think of the size of the pan you'd need to fit the damn thing in.   :o 

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #212 on: February 5, 2008, 03:04:40 am »
Cheats Welsh Rarebit...

Bung a load of cheddar cheese into a pan, add salt, pepper, a bit of milk, a bit of butter and plenty of english mustard.  Cook till everything's melted and mixed up.  Splash in a generous amount of vinegar (Sarsons is the best).  Give it another minute on the heat.  Pour mixture over pieces of white bread.  Eat.

:lmao

I'm sorry. It reads very funny. Had an image of this being cooked up by the Young Ones. Of course, they wouldn't have the milk, butter, cheddar, vinegar, salt or pepper.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: February 5, 2008, 11:11:20 am »
Here's today's recipies.  If I get a bit of time later in the day I'll post a couple more.

Chilli Oil/Chilli Dipping Sauce

150ml/5fl oz
Groundnut Oil
2tbs chopped dried chillies
1tbs unroasted Sichuan peppercorns
2tbs whole salted black beans

Heat a wok over a high heat, then add the oil followed by all the rest of the ingredients.  Cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes, then remove the wok from the heat and leave the mixture to cool.  Then pour the mixture into a jar and leave it for 2 days, then strain the oil.  Store it in a tightly sealed glass jar in a cool dark place, where it will keep indefinitely.

Steamed Fresh Oysters

Serves 4

16 large fresh oysters in their shells
Coriander sprigs to garnish
3tbs groundnut oil

For the sauce

2tsp finely chopped garlic
1tbs finely chopped fresh root ginger
1tsp chilli bean sauce
1tbs Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1tbs light soy sauce
2tsp dark soy sauce
2 fresh red chillies, seeded and chopped
3tbs finely shredded spring onions

Prep

Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl.

Scrub the oysters clean.  You will have to steam them in t2o batches, so divide them between two heatproof plates.  Set up a metal steamer or deep pan and fill it with 2 inches of hot water.  Put one plate of oysters into the metal steamer or into a wooden steamer to sit on top of the pan.  Turn the heat to low and cover the steamer tightly.  Steam the oysters gently for 5 minutes or until they are open.  Remove the heatproof plate and repeat the steaming process with the second plate of oysters.

Meanwhile, heat a small pan over a high heat.  Add the oil and, when it is very hot and slightly smoking, pour it over the sauce ingredients.  Give the sauce several good stirs.

Take the top shells off the oysters and put them on individual plates or a serving plate.  Give the sauce another good stir and pour it into each oyster shell.  Garnish with the coriander sprigs and serve.

Stir-Fried Mixed Vegetables

Serves 4

Stir-fried vegetable dishes should not contain more than 4 or 5 types of vegetable, and they should be varied - some crisp and some leafy.  The first trick when steaming vegetables is knowing when to add them to the wok.  If you put them in all together they can become soggy, regardless of their water content, so work out which are the tougher, more textured vegetables and add them first, adding the leafy ones last.  The second trick is only adding the minimum amount of water - no more than 1 or 2 tablespoonfuls, otherwise they will over-steam and become soggy.  The choice of vegetables below is an example to give you an idea.

8oz Chinese leaves
8oz Chinese greens (Chinese flowering cabbage, pak choy or spinach for example)
8oz asparagus
8oz carrots
1½  tbs groundnut oil
2tbs coarsely chopped shallots
2tbs coarsely chopped garlic
2tsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
2tsp salt
1 to 2tbs water
2tsp sugar
2tsp sesame oil

Prep

Cut the Chinese leaves into 1½  inch strips.  Cut the Chinese greens and asparagus into 1½  inch pieces.  Cut the carrots on the diagonal into slices ¼ inch thick.  Combine the shallots, garlic, ginger and salt in a bowl.  Combine the carrots and asparagus in a bowl.  Combine the Chinese leaves and greens in a bowl.  Combine the sugar and wine or sherry in a cup.  Put the sesame oil in a cup.

Heat a wok over a high heat, then add the groundnut oil.  When it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the shallot mixture and stir fry for 1 minute.  The add the carrot mixture and stir fry for 30 seconds.  Add the water, cover the wok tightly and cook over a high heat for 2 minutes.

Add the Chinese leaves and greens mixture, then the sugar and wine/sherry mixture.  Stir fry for 3 minutes or until the greens are slightly wilted.  Add the sesame oil and serve immediately.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #214 on: February 5, 2008, 11:33:05 am »
Maggie, I think it's about time the Vera Lynne in your custom title was changed to Delia Smith. Or Nigella, maybe...

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #215 on: February 5, 2008, 11:50:43 am »
Will definitely be trying out some of your Chinese recipes Maggie, keep them coming!  :wave
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: February 5, 2008, 02:08:09 pm »
Maggie, I think it's about time the Vera Lynne in your custom title was changed to Delia Smith. Or Nigella, maybe...

Nooooo, please.  Most kind of you, but if I were to be a Delia, I'd have to get highly pissed at the match at half time and scream "Let's be avin' ya" at everyone (references to Chelsea away would be most unkind).  And if I were a Nigella I'd have to engage in carnal relations with a geek like Saachi.  So I'm fine as I am - but its a nice thought though.   :wave

Will definitely be trying out some of your Chinese recipes Maggie, keep them coming!  :wave

Here you go - just for you.  I think these are very nice.   :wave  These two use a technique called "velveting" which seals in all the lovely juices of the chicken, which is then stir fried.  I've repeated the technique in the second recipe to save anyone having to refer back.

Classic Lemon Chicken

Serves 4

Don’t be put off by some Lemon Chicken you might have been served in a restaurant, because some use a really cloying sweet sauce, and some even have the chicken in batter also.  This sauce is quite tart and sets off the chicken very well.

This recipe uses the technique called “velveting”, which means the meat is first sealed and blanched in hot oil or water, and then stir fried.  Because the oil or water has to be discarded after the blanching, and there is usually a half pint (or more) of it, I consider that wasteful, so I always use water, which is the healthier option anyway.

1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips 3inches long and ½ inch thick.
1 egg white (freeze the yolk separately for another recipe)
1tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
2tsp cornflour
10 fl oz groundnut oil or water
2tbs finely chopped spring onions, to garnish

For the sauce

2 ½ fl oz chicken stock
3tbs lemon juice
1tbs sugar
1tbs light soy sauce
1½  tbs Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1½  tbs finely chopped garlic
1 - 2 tsp crushed dried red chilli
1tsp cornflour, blended with 1tsp water
2tsp sesame oil

Prep

Lightly beat the egg white in a bowl and add the salt, sesame oil and cornflour to it.
Mix all the sauce ingredients except the cornflour mixture and the sesame oil in a jug.

Put the chicken chunks into the egg white mixture, and mix it well.  Put the mixture in
the fridge for about 20 minutes.

If you are using oil, heat a wok or pan until very hot and then add the oil.  When the oil is very hot, remove the wok or pan from the heat and immediately add the chicken, stirring it vigorously to prevent it sticking.  After about 2 minutes, the chicken will turn white.  Quickly drain it in a steel colander or sieve.  Discard the oil.  If you are using water, do exactly the same, but bring the water to a boil in a saucepan before adding the chicken.  Stir the chicken vigorously.  It will take about 4 minutes to turn white in the water.  Drain the chicken and discard the water.

If you have used a wok, wipe it clean.  Heat it until it is very hot, then add the sauce mixture.  Bring the sauce to a boil and then add the cornflour mixture and blend well.  Simmer for 1 minute.  Return the chicken to the wok and stir fry it long enough to make sure it is well coated with the sauce.  Mix in the sesame oil, turn it onto a platter, garnish it with the spring onions and serve immediately.

Cashew Chicken

Serves 4

This recipe uses the technique called “velveting”, which means the meat is first sealed and blanched in hot oil or water, and then stir fried.  Because the oil or water has to be discarded after the blanching, and there is usually a half pint (or more) of it, I consider that wasteful, so I always use water, which is the healthier option anyway.

1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ inch chunks
1tsp salt
1tsp sesame oil
2tsps cornflour
2tsp groundnut oil
2oz unsalted cashew nuts
1tbs light soy sauce
1tbs finely shredded spring onions, to garnish

Prep

Lightly beat the egg white in a bowl and add the salt, sesame oil and cornflour to it.  Mix the rice wine or dry sherry with the soy sauce in a cup.

Put the chicken chunks into the egg white mixture, and mix it well.  Put the mixture in
the fridge for about 20 minutes.

If you are using oil, heat a wok or pan until very hot and then add the oil.  When the oil is very hot, remove the wok or pan from the heat and immediately add the chicken, stirring it vigorously to prevent it sticking.  After about 2 minutes, the chicken will turn white.  Quickly drain it in a steel colander or sieve.  Discard the oil.  If you are using water, do exactly the same, but bring the water to a boil in a saucepan before adding the chicken.  Stir the chicken vigorously.  It will take about 4 minutes to turn white in the water.  Drain the chicken and discard the water.

If you have used a wok, wipe it clean.  Heat it until it is very hot, then add the 2 teaspoons of groundnut oil.  When the oil is hot and slightly smoking, add the cashew nuts and stir-fry them for 1 minute.  Then add the wine mixture and stir.  Add the chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes.  Garnish with the spring onions and serve immediately. 

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 5, 2008, 02:59:54 pm »
Dont usually post on rawk just a reader.  Only found this thread today, brilliant thread Maggie.

Here's my effort for what its worth.

Tikka Mince

1lb Lean Mince
4/5 large potatoes chopped (optional)
1 tin chopped toms
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
2 tablespoons tikka curry paste
2 tablespoons mango chutney
2 tablespoons tomatoe puree
1 courgette (chopped)
200ml water
8 cherry toms (optional)
creme fresh (optional)

Dry fry the mince until brown.
Add the onion & garlic and cook for 1 - 2 mins.
Add everything else bring up the boil and simmer for 30 mins.

Add the cherry toms and creme fresh here if you want (i dont these days)

Its done.
I like it to sit overnight to really soak up the flavours but it can be served immediately.

With the potatoes added it can be served as a meal, or without the potatoes it can be used with pasta/rice or whatever you like really.

Hope someone likes it.

« Last Edit: February 5, 2008, 03:07:24 pm by chap114 »

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 5, 2008, 04:11:49 pm »
Great addition to the thread Chap.  You wouldn't know how to make Bombay Potatoes by any chance would you? 

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: February 5, 2008, 05:37:14 pm »
Great addition to the thread Chap.  You wouldn't know how to make Bombay Potatoes by any chance would you? 
Thanks Maggie. 
Sorry but I dont know how it make Bombay Potatoes.  If I find out I will post it up.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: February 6, 2008, 10:35:02 am »
No problem, Chap.  If you do come across the recipe any time that would be great.   :wave

We had this last night because I wanted something light to make room for the pancakes.   :D  I know its Chinese week, but I wanted to post it anyway because its really tasty.  Don't be put off by the fancy title, because its really dead easy to do.

Plaice Stuffed with Black Olive Tapenade, Char-grilled vegetables and Herb Oil

Serves 4

4 Plaice filleted and skinned
Butter and olive oil for roasting

Tapenade

250g stoned black olives
50g anchovies
25g capers
1 ½ cloves garlic
2 tsp olive oil
Pinch of black pepper

Herb Oil

25g flat leaf parsley
10g coriander
10g tarragon
25g chervil
Extra virgin olive oil to blend

Char-grilled vegetables

(For example)  Sliced sweet peppers; fennel - cut in half or quarters lengthwise, depending on size; plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise; courgettes, sliced; new potatoes, cooked.

Method

The Tapenade: Blend all the tapenade ingredients together for approximately one minute - the mix should still be fairly chunky.

The herb oil: Roughly chop the herbs, add a little extra virgin olive oil and season.

Spread the tapinade over the fish, roll up each fillet and secure with a cocktail stick.  Put the fillets in an overproof dish and roast in a hot oven for approximately 10 minutes. 

While the fish is cooking, brush the vegetables with olive oil and quickly char-grill.

Place the char-grilled vegetables on a plate, place the fillets on top and remove the cocktail stick.  Drizzle the herb oil over and serve.

Note to Strict Mentor, please.  This can't count towards my tally, as I already had it on my computer and its in my new "Fish Library" (oooh - get me  ;D).

I'll post some Chinese recipies later today.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #221 on: February 6, 2008, 01:16:57 pm »
Per Maggie's request, from the ice cream thread, a really nice Cassata ice cream (as opposed to the cake cassata)

Cassata Semifredda

200g egg whites (about 4), 70g caster sugar, 100g ricotta cheese (best quality), 20ml milk (plus a little extra to soften the ricotta if needed), 400ml double cream, 100g thin honey (warmed), 100g mixed candied citron and orange peel chopped, 50g pine nuts toasted, 50g dark bitter chocolate chopped, 80g skinned pistachio nuts, 8-10 red candied cherries.

Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in 50g of the sugar.  In another bowl, fluff the ricotta with a fork, adding a little milk to soften it if it is too firm.  Whip the double cream in another bowl until thick.

Fold the honey into the whisked egg whites, followed by the whipped cream and ricotta.  Then fold in the chopped candied peel, pine nuts and the chocolate.  Spoon into a 1.2 litre bowl or mould, cover and chill in the freezer for 12 hours.

Before serving, whiz the pistachio nuts with the remaining 20g sugar and 20ml milk in a blender to make a sauce.

To unmould, dip the bowl into hot water for a few seconds to release the cassata then turn out onto a plate.  Cut into wedges using a warm knife.

Put a little pistachio sauce on each plate, lay a wedge of cassata in the centre, decorate with a cherry and serve.

I use an ice cream maker, and put the cherries into the mix with the candied peel etc.  Get the best and most varied candied peel you can find.  I like big chunks of peel and chocolate in mine, and I put more in than the original recipe.  With an ice cream maker, I leave it for 4-5 hours, and it comes out perfectly semifredda.

Enjoy.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 6, 2008, 05:22:52 pm »
Chow Mein

Serves 4

8oz dried or fresh egg noodles
4tsp sesame oil
4oz boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into fine shreds 2 inches long
2½ tbs groundnut oil
1tbs finely chopped garlic
2oz mangetout, finely shredded
2oz cooked ham, finely shredded
2tsp light soy sauce
2tsp dark soy sauce
1tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
½ tsp sugar
3tbs finely chopped spring onions

For the marinade

2tsp light soy sauce
2tsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1tsp sesame oil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper

Prep

Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.  Put the mangetout and ham in a bowl.  Put the soy sauces, rice wine or sherry, salt, pepper, sugar and spring onions in a bowl large enough to take the noodles when they are cooked.

Combine the chicken shreds with the marinade ingredients, mix well and leave to marinate for about 10 minutes.

Cook the noodles in a large pan of boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes, then drain them and plunge them in cold water.  Drain them again thoroughly, toss them with 3 teaspoonfuls of the sesame oil and put them in the bowl with the soy sauce mixture.  Set them aside.

Heat a wok over a high heat.  Add 1 tablespoon of the groundnut oil and, when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the chicken shreds.  Stir fry them for about 2 minutes and then transfer them to a plate.  Wipe the wok clean.

Reheat the wok until it is very hot, then add the remaining groundnut oil.  When the oil is slightly smoking, add the garlic and stir fry for 10 seconds.  The add the mangetout and ham and stir fry for about 1 minute.  Then add the noodle mixture and stir fry for 2 minutes.  Then return the chicken and any juices to the wok and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through. 

Then add the remaining sesame oil, and give the mixture a few stirs.  Turn the Chow Mein onto a warm platter and serve immediately.

Sichuan-Style Green Beans

Serves 4

The traditional Chinese recipe calls for Chinese asparagus or long beans, but ordinary green beans work very well.  The beans are deep fried and then quickly stir fried, which gives them a soft rather than a crunchy texture.  Also, the deep frying calls for a pint of groundnut oil.  Don’t throw the oil away.  When its cold, strain it and use it again - it will keep indefinitely. 

1 pint groundnut oil
1lb green beans.  Sliced if long, left whole otherwise
3tbs finely chopped spring onions (white part only)
1½  tbs chilli bean sauce
1tbs whole yellow bean sauce
2tbs Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1tbs dark soy sauce
2tsps sugar
1tbs water
2tsp chilli oil

Prep

Put the garlic, ginger and spring onions in a bowl.  Put the rest of the ingredients except the beans and groundnut oil in a bowl.

Heat a wok over a high heat.  Add the oil and, when it is very hot and slightly smoking, deep fry half the green beans until they are slightly wrinkled - this should take about 3 to 4 minutes.  Remove the beans and drain them.  Repeat with the second batch.  Blot all the beans well on kitchen paper to remove any excess oiliness.  Drain off the oil and wipe the wok clean.

Transfer 1 tablespoonful of the oil in which you have just cooked the beans to the wok.  Heat the oil until slightly smoking and add the garlic mixture.  Stir fry for about 30 seconds.  Then add the yellow bean mixture and stir fry for another 30 seconds.  Then add the beans and mix them thoroughly until they are well coated by the spicy sauce.  Make sure they are well heated through and serve immediately. 

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #223 on: February 6, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »
Got a boos book from a second hand shop a few days ago. Its called The Bean Book and is one of those 70's veggie hippy numbers. Not bad for 10 bob.

There's a recipe in there for a lentil and veggie shepherds pie.  It s got me drooling already but firstIll have to get meself a casserole dish. No doubt from a second hand shop.       :D

Ill let you know folks.    :wave
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 6, 2008, 06:00:32 pm »
Apologies to JP for not acknowledging his wonderful ice cream recipe he kindly posted here.

I got myself upset at some of the comments in the Munich thread, so just posted my Chinese ones here to make my quota before I fused my PC.   >:(

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 6, 2008, 06:16:43 pm »
Apologies to JP for not acknowledging his wonderful ice cream recipe he kindly posted here.

I got myself upset at some of the comments in the Munich thread, so just posted my Chinese ones here to make my quota before I fused my PC.   >:(

Thanks, and I should mention that I don't "churn it" in the ice cream maker, just put it in as made and freeze.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 6, 2008, 07:39:13 pm »
Thanks, and I should mention that I don't "churn it" in the ice cream maker, just put it in as made and freeze.

Cheers for that JP.  I'd have churned it, as I nearly always tend to do, but I agree that there are ice creams that do very well without.

I've promised to do stew recipies next week for my beloved Sp1ke (don't want him fading away in Yankeeland), and unless someone else suggests a theme, I'm minded to do an ice cream week - and perhaps I could encourage you to post some of your recipies too, as you're obviously an ice cream fiend like me and Mr May.

There's a particular one we like, which is very rich and includes macadamia nuts, which I think may interest you.  It takes 10 eggs yolks (which I freeze and save up until I've got enough and then make it - one of the reasons I keep nagging people to save their egg yolks  ;D).  So if you're game perhaps we shall have an ice cream fest  :D

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 7, 2008, 09:50:14 am »
:champ

Looking forward to the ice cream ones too DMM!  :-*

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!   ;D    (i'm deffo gonna do a few of those before the gym dieting starts again!)

That's great my lovely BRG, but I'll feed you up with stews first though.

I worry about you not getting proper food in Yankeeland.  I mean, you're surrounded by gorgeous, tall, longlegged sexy women with big ... eyes who constantly throw themselves at you, shower you with gifts and lust after your muscular body, and I'll bet hardly any of them can cook properly, and you're reduced to eating alien things like bagels and doughnuts and other such Yankee muck.  It must be awful for you, but I suppose you cope as best you can, brave lad that you are.   :-*
« Last Edit: February 7, 2008, 09:52:01 am by Maggie May »

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #228 on: February 7, 2008, 02:17:05 pm »
Away to make this tonight so thought I'd add it to your list Maggie.

My Grandma used to make this every week  :lickin

Cullen Skink

Fish-and-Potato soup from the North East of Scotland.

Its name means 'essence of Cullen', named after the coastal region on the Moray Firth from which it originates  (Not far from where I stay)

INGREDIENTS:

1 large haddock (preferably Finnan, but any unsmoked, undied haddock fillet will do; leave skin on)

1 medium onion, chopped

250g potatoes, washed and peeled

600ml milk

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 tbsp unsalted butter

2 tbsp single cream (optional)

parsley sprigs to garnish

PREPARATION:

1. Place the haddock in a pot with 1 litre water. Bring to boil. Add the onion, cover and simmer until the fish is cooked, about 15 minutes.

2. Remove the haddock. If you've used a fresh fish, remove the skin and bones and add these to the water to make a stock. Flake the fish and reserve.

3. Simmer the stock for 30 minutes then strain.

4. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in salted water, drain and mash to desired consistency (some prefer their soup creamy, others more lumpy).

5. To the stock, add the flaked fish and the milk. Bring to the boil and add enough mashed potato to thicken the soup to your preferred consistency.

6. Finally, stir in the butter and, if desired, a little cream. Season to taste. Serve garnished with the parsley. 

Cook time: 1 hour Serves: 4

Enjoy  :wave
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: February 7, 2008, 03:04:37 pm »
Thank you very much, my Don.   :-*  What did you have to celebrate Burns Night?

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #230 on: February 7, 2008, 03:35:14 pm »
Thank you very much, my Don.   :-*  What did you have to celebrate Burns Night?

Loved all of your ideas but went for a proper Butcher Shop Haggis, Tatties and a big dollop o'Neaps with Glenmorangie to wash it all down.

Wish I made one of your sweets now though, but I printed them all off and have them on my pin board im my kitchen  :D
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: February 7, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »
Aye mate.  Did the same thing for us.  Haggis, neeps and tatties, but with lots of Talisker to help it on its way.  Bloody Marvellous it was (and the food wasn't bad either).  :D

And today's recipies are:

Spicy Sichuan-Style Prawns

Serves 4

1lb raw prawns, shelled and de-veined
1½ tbs groundnut oil
1tbs coarsely chopped garlic
2tbs finely chopped spring onions
Coriander sprigs to garnish

For the sauce

1tbs tomato paste
2tsp chilli bean sauce
2tsp cider vinegar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2tsp sugar
2tsp sesame oil

Prep

Put the ginger, garlic and spring onions in a bowl.  Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl.

Heat a wok over a high heat.  Add the oil and when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic mixture and stir fry for 20 seconds.  Add the prawns and stir fry for about 1 minute.  Add all the sauce ingredients and stir fry for 3 minutes over a high heat.  Serve immediately.

Stir-Fried Spinach

Serves 4

1½ lb fresh spinach
1tbs groundnut oil
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar

Prep

None necessary - mix the garlic and salt together if you wish.

Wash the spinach thoroughly and pat it dry.  Remove all the stems, leaving the leaves whole.

Heat a wok over a high heat and add the oil.  When the oil is very hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic and salt and stir fry for 10 seconds.  Then add the spinach and stir fry for about 2 minutes, until all the leaves are thoroughly coated with the oil, garlic and salt.  When the spinach has wilted to about one third of its original size, add the sugar and stir-fry for another 4 minutes.  Transfer the spinach to a plate and pour off any excess liquid and serve immediately. 

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: February 8, 2008, 04:33:18 pm »
Ha, ha, yes... it is indeed very tough at times, but I do what I can to cope and get by!  ;)   ;D

I'm sure you bear the wanton attacks on your person with fortitude, and keep your upper lip stiff at all times.

Here is the last of my Chinese recipies, and next week is Sp1ke Stew Week. 

I've been looking through a few stew recipies, and I think some of them could be adapted (with a bit of fiddling round as regards ingredients - I'm not too sure if you're introducing your Little Prince to spices yet for instance, Helly) for min-meals for James. 

Anyway, here they are.  I've got loads more, so perhaps we might have another go later in the year if anyone wants to.

Crispy “Seaweed”

Serves 4

This recipe calls for 1½ pints of groundnut oil.  Its wasteful to discard it, as if you leave it to get cold and then strain it, it can be re-used.  If you are concerned that the oil may taste, then label it up and keep it for “greens” only dishes (say for Stir-fry Spinach or Broccoli (which only take a little oil) or Sichuan Green Beans, which take a pint to deep fry).  Don’t discard the centre stalks either, because they can be made into a “chef’s perk”. 

2½ lb bok choy or pak choy
1½ pints groundnut oil
1tsp salt
2tsps sugar
2oz pine kernels, lightly toasted in a dry pan

Prep

Just combine the salt and sugar in a small bowl.

Separate the individual leaves from their base and wash them in several changes of cold water.  Thoroughly dry the cut leaves.  Then cut out the thick centre white stalks and set them aside.  Then place several leaves one on top of the other and roll them up into a cigar shape.  Then with a sharp knife cut them into strips no more than ¼ inch wide.

Pre-heat the oven to 120C/250F/Gas ½.  Spread the shreds on a large baking tray or oven sheet and put them into the oven for 15 minutes to dry slightly.  They should not be completely dried out or they will burn when fried.  Remove them from the oven and leave them to cool.

Heat a wok over a high heat, then add the oil.  When the oil is very hot and slightly smoking, deep fry the greens in about 3 or 4 batches.  After about 30 to 40 seconds, when they turn crisp, remove them immediately from the wok and drain them on paper towels.  Leave them to cool.  Then toss the crispy greens with the salt and sugar, garnish with the toasted pine nuts and serve.

Note

I find the easiest way of deep frying the greens is to put a batch into a metal sieve, and lower that into the oil in the wok (same principal as a chip basket), which makes the little strips dead easy to handle.

Chef’s Perk

Cut the white stalks into bite sized pieces.  See how much you’ve got, and lightly crush a couple (or more to your taste) garlic cloves and mix them with a bit of salt and pepper.  Heat a wok until very hot, add about 1tbs of groundnut oil and when its hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic and salt and stir fry for about 20 seconds or until the garlic is lightly browned.  Then add the stalks and stir fry for about 1 or two minutes, depending on how much you’ve got.  Add 1tbs water, cover the wok and cook over a high heat for about 3 or 4 minutes.  Uncover the wok and test for done-ness.  Stir in 1 tsp of sesame oil, stir fry for about 30 seconds and then munch the lot yourself. 

Sichuan Braised Fish

Serves 4

1lb cod fillets
1tsp salt
Cornflour for dusting
5 fl oz groundnut oil
3 spring onions, cut into 2 inch slices on the diagonal
1tbs finely chopped garlic

For the sauce

5 fl oz chicken stock
1tsp whole yellow bean sauce
1tbs chilli bean sauce
2tsp dark soy sauce
2tsp sugar
2tsp sesame oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp white pepper

Prep

Mix the spring onions, garlic and ginger in a bowl.  Mix all the sauce ingredients in a jug.

Sprinkle the fish fillets evenly on both sides with the salt.  Cut them into 2 x 1 inch strips and leave them for 20 minutes.  Then dust the fish strips liberally with cornflour.

Heat a wok over a high heat.  Add the oil and, when it is very hot and slightly smoking, turn the heat down.  Fry the fish strips on both sides until they are lightly browned.  Remove them from the wok and drain them on paper towels.

Pour off most of the oil from the wok, leaving about 1 tablespoonful.  Re-heat the wok, then add the spring onion mixture, and stir fry for 30 seconds.  Add all the sauce mixture and bring to the boil.  Turn the heat down to a simmer and return the fish strips to the wok.  Simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes, then serve immediately.

Stir-Fried Squid with Vegetables

Serves 4

1lb cleaned and skinned squid (get your fishmonger to do this if you don’t know how yourself)
1½ tbs groundnut oil
4oz red or green peppers (or half and half if you prefer), cut into thin strips
4oz mangetout, ends trimmed
3tbs chicken stock
3tbs oyster sauce
1tbs light soy sauce
2tsp dark soy sauce
2tsp salt
2tsp cornflour blended with 2tsp water
2tsp sesame oil

Prep

Put the garlic and ginger onto a small plate.  Put the mangetout and pepper strips into a bowl.  Put the stock and all the other ingredients, except the squid and the sesame oil, into a bowl or jug.

If the tentacles are still attached to the head of the squid, cut them off just in front of the eyes and set them aside.  Cut off the head and discard it.  Cut the squid bodies into 1½ inch strips.

Blanch the squid strips and tentacles by simmering them in a large pan of boiling water for 15 seconds.  The squid will firm up slightly and turn opaque.  Drain into a colander and set aside.

Heat a wok over a high heat, then add the oil.  When the oil is very hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic mixture and stir fry for 15 seconds.  The add the mangetout mixture and stir fry for 1 minute.  Add the stock mixture to the wok and bring to the boil.  Give the mixture a stir, then add the squid and mix well.  Cook for 30 seconds, stir in the sesame oil and serve immediately. 

Cantonese Crab with Black Bean Sauce

Serves 4 to 6

This includes pork, which on the one hand gives the dish an interesting and unusual variation, and on the other helps stretch the expensive crab meat a little further.

It is generally eaten mainly with the fingers and the sauce being licked off the crab shells, so have plenty of paper napkins and small bowls with warm water decorated with lemon slices on the table. 

You’ll need a cleaver to split the crab shell - they’re very cheap in the Chinese supermarket or cash and carry.  You can use a very heavy knife, but I find a cleaver works better.

1 large or a couple of smaller cooked crabs (you need 3lb weight in all).  I’ll tell you how to clean the crab, but if you’re unsure about it, then get the fishmonger to clean it for you.
2tbs groundnut oil
3tbs coarsely chopped salted black beans
3tbs finely chopped spring onions
8oz minced pork
2tbs light soy sauce
1tbs dark soy sauce
8 fl oz chicken stock
2 eggs, beaten
2tsp sesame oil

Prep

Put the black beans, garlic, ginger and spring onions in a bowl.  Loosen the minced pork up a little so its not all in a lump and put it in a bowl.  Put the eggs and sesame oil in a cup.  Put the chicken stock and all the other ingredients, apart from the crab and groundnut oil in a jug or bowl.

Place the cooked crab on its back on a board.  Using your fingers, twist the big claws from the body and set them aside.  Now twist off the bony tail flap on the underside of the body and discard it.  With your fingers, pry the body from the back shell.  Remove and discard the small, bag-like stomach sac and its appendages, which are located just behind the crab’s mouth.  Pull the soft feathery gills, which look like little fingers, away from the body and discard them.  Twist off the legs and set them aside.

Using a cleaver (or very heavy knife), split the back shell in half and, using a spoon, scrape out all the brown crabmeat.  Then using the cleaver again, cut all the crab, shell included, into large pieces.  Crack the claws and legs slightly.  Put shell pieces, body pieces, claws, legs and brown meat in a large bowl. 

Heat a wok over a high heat.  Add the oil and when it is hot and slightly smoking, add the black bean mixture and stir fry for 20 seconds.  Then add the pork and stir fry for 1 minute.  Add the crab pieces and the stock mixture and stir fry over a high heat for about 10 minutes.  Then gradually pour the egg mixture over the crab mixture, stirring slowly so there are light strands of egg trailing over the crab.  Then turn onto a serving plate and serve immediately.

Northern-Style Cold Noodles

Serves 4

12oz dried or fresh egg noodles
2tbs sesame oil
3tbs finely chopped spring onions, to garnish

For the sauce

3tbs sesame paste or peanut butter
1½ tbs finely chopped garlic
2tsps finely chopped root ginger
2tsps chilli bean sauce
3tbs cider vinegar
2tbs orange juice
2tbs light soy sauce
2tsps dark soy sauce
½ tsp salt
2tsps sugar
2tsps ground toasted Sichuan peppercorns
1tbs groundnut oil
1½ tbs sesame oil

Prep

None. 

Heat a small dry frying pan and toast the Sichuan peppercorns for about 1 minute.  Then remove the pan from the heat and allow the peppercorns to cool completely.  The put them in a small plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin or heavy tin until you can no longer hear them pop.

Cook the noodles in a large pan of boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes, then drain them and plunge them into cold water.  Drain the noodles thoroughly and toss them with the sesame oil.  Arrange them on a large platter.  Then just mix all the sauce ingredients together in a large bowl or blender.  If you want, and because the dish is served cold, you can do this is advance and keep the made sauce in the fridge.  When you’re ready to serve, just pour the sauce on top of the noodles and toss the noodles until they are well covered with the sauce, then garnish with the spring onions and serve. 

Chinese Chicken Curry

Serves 4

This is a mild curry, and you use the technique of “velveting” the chicken.  You can use oil or water.  As the oil or water is discarded after use, I think to use oil is wasteful, plus the water is a healthier option.

1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 egg white (freeze the yolk separately for use in another recipe)
1 tsp salt
1tsp sesame oil
3tsps cornflour
1tbs groundnut oil
8oz red or green (or a mix if you prefer) cut into 1 inch pieces
1tbs coarsely chopped garlic
5 fl oz chicken stock
1½ tbs madras curry paste or powder
2tsp sugar
1½ tbs Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
1½ tbs light soy sauce
1tsp cornflour blended with 1tbs water
Corinader leaves to garnish

Prep

Lightly beat the egg white and put it with the salt, sesame oil and 2 teaspoons of the cornflour in the large bowl.  Put the peppers and garlic in a bowl.  Put the stock, curry paste or powder, sugar, rice wine or sherry, soy sauce and the cornflour mixture in a bowl or jug.

Put the chicken pieces in the bowl with the salt mixture and mix well.  Put the bowl in the fridge for about 20 minutes.

If you have used a wok, wipe it clean.  Heat it until very hot, then add the 1tbs of groundnut oil.  When the oil is very hot and slightly smoking, add the pepper mixture and stir fry for 2 minutes.  Then add the stock mixture and cook for 2 minutes.  Add the drained chicken to the wok, and stir fry for another 2 minutes, thoroughly coating the chicken with the sauce.  Garnish with the coriander and serve immediately.

Sweet and Sour Pork Chiu Chow Style

Serves 4

This is very different from the glutinous sweet and sour served in some restaurants.  And please don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients - its not hard or complicated to do.

1lb minced fatty pork
4tbs water
6oz fresh or tinned water chestnuts, peeled if fresh, coarsely chopped
2tbs light soy sauce
1tbs dark soy sauce
1½ tbs sugar
2tsp salt
4oz carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
4oz green peppers, cut into 1 inch squares
4oz red peppers, cut into 1 inch square
Cornflour for dusting
1 pint groundnut oil
2oz spring onions, cut on the diagonal into 1 inch pieces
3oz tinned lychees, drained, or fresh orange segments
Coriander leaves to garnish

For the sauce

5fl oz chicken stock
1tbs light soy sauce
2tsps dark soy sauce
2tsp sesame oil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
1½ tbs cider vinegar
1tbs sugar
2tbs tomato paste or tomato ketchup
2tsps cornflour, blended with 1tbs water

Prep

Put the water chestnuts, light and dark soy sauces, rice wine or sherry, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Put the carrots and peppers in a bowl.  Put all the sauce ingredients, except the cornflour mixture in a bowl or jug.

Lightly whisk the egg white, then put it, with the water, in a large bowl.  Mix the pork into it, using your hands (this helps incorporate air, and makes the mixture light and fluffy.  Don’t use a food processor, as this will make the mixture too dense).  Then add the water chestnut mixture and mix thoroughly.  Then shape the mixture into small balls (about the size of golf balls), and dust them with the cornflour.

Bring a pan of water to the boil and blanch the carrot mixture for about 4 minutes, until just tender.  Drain and set aside.

Heat the oil in a wok until it is slightly smoking.  Reduce the heat to moderate and deep fry the pork balls for 3 to 4 minutes, until they are crisp and cooked through.  Remove them and drain them on kitchen paper.  Pour off the oil into a bowl and wipe the wok clean.

Then heat the wok again, pour in all the sauce ingredients and bring the mixture to the boil.  Add the carrot mixture and the spring onions and stir well.  Stir in the cornflour mixture and cook for about 2 minutes, then turn the heat down so the mixture is simmering.  Add the pork balls, the lychees or orange segments and warm the pork balls through, mixing well so they are well coated with the sauce.  Turn onto a serving plate, garnish with the coriander and serve immediately.

Singapore Noodles

Serves 4

Again, don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients.  This also is easy to do.

8oz thin dried rice noodles
2 eggs, beaten
1tbs sesame oil
1tsp salt
3tbs groundnut oil
1½ tbs coarsely chopped garlic
6 fresh red or green chillies, seeded and finely shredded
6 fresh or tinned water chestnuts, peeled if fresh, sliced
2oz Chinese dried mushrooms, soaked for 20 minutes in warm water, stems removed and discarded, tops squeezed dry and finely shredded
4oz cooked ham, finely shredded
3 spring onions, finely shredded
4oz cooked small prawns
6oz small frozen peas, thawed
Coriander leaves to garnish

For the sauce

2tbs light soy sauce
3tbs Madras curry paste or powder
1tbs sugar
1tsp salt
1tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 fl oz tinned coconut milk
6fl oz chicken stock

Prep

Soak the rice noodles in a bowl of warm water for 25 minutes.  Drain them well, and put them in a bowl with the prawns and peas.  Put the eggs, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.  Put the garlic, ginger and chillies in a small bowl.  Put the water chestnuts, ham and spring onions in a bowl.  Put all the sauce ingredients in a jug. 

Heat a wok over a high heat.  Then add the groundnut oil and when it is hot and slightly smoking, add the garlic mixture and stir fry for 30 seconds.  Add the water chestnut mixture and stir fry for 1 minute.  The add the noodle mixture and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the sauce mixture and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.  Now pour the egg mixture over the noodles and stir fry constantly until the egg mixture has set.  Turn the noodles onto a large platter, garnish with the coriander and serve immediately.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: February 8, 2008, 04:37:21 pm »
Not ice cream week next week?

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: February 8, 2008, 04:46:54 pm »
Not ice cream week next week?

Sorry mate.  I'd already promised my lovely Sp1ke to do some stews for him next week - I can't have him withering in his bloom in Yankeeland now can I?  ;) :D

Actually, you've just brought something to mind.  Both you and I use ice cream machines, but there must be those who are interested who don't regularly make ice cream so don't have one, and they're expensive if you're not going to use them a lot.  Now I've got some recipies that you can just put in the freezer and leave, but for those you can't treat like that, you need to keep mixing them about from time to time to stop large ice crystals forming.  Its a bit of a rigmarole, and I was wondering if you had any method of shortening the process? 

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: February 8, 2008, 05:25:06 pm »
Sorry mate.  I'd already promised my lovely Sp1ke to do some stews for him next week - I can't have him withering in his bloom in Yankeeland now can I?  ;) :D

Actually, you've just brought something to mind.  Both you and I use ice cream machines, but there must be those who are interested who don't regularly make ice cream so don't have one, and they're expensive if you're not going to use them a lot.  Now I've got some recipies that you can just put in the freezer and leave, but for those you can't treat like that, you need to keep mixing them about from time to time to stop large ice crystals forming.  Its a bit of a rigmarole, and I was wondering if you had any method of shortening the process? 

Stabilizers do the job (ie gelatine), but you've got to be careful on quantity and mixing in well, otherwise they can become "gooey" globs!

The reason the cassata shouldn't be churned is it's created by doing a lot of "folding in" which puts in a lot of air, and makes it light, churning would destroy that
« Last Edit: February 8, 2008, 05:26:45 pm by JP-65 »

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: February 8, 2008, 05:44:37 pm »
Stabilizers do the job (ie gelatine), but you've got to be careful on quantity and mixing in well, otherwise they can become "gooey" globs!

The reason the cassata shouldn't be churned is it's created by doing a lot of "folding in" which puts in a lot of air, and makes it light, churning would destroy that

Yeah.  I see what you mean about the stabilisers.  Its too much of a risk, as I'd be winging it with every recipe, as I've never used them, and I always make the point of never posting either something that we've eaten or (in the case of spicy food) something I've cooked for my mate's family.  So it looks as if its the machine way, or the rigmarole, or recipies which just go in the freezer like your cassata.  Aye well .........  :-\

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2008, 11:31:29 am »
Well here you are my lovely Sp1ke - the first recipies for your Stew Week.   :D

I don't know how many you were planning on feeding in one go, but most of the ones I'm going to be posting are for four or more, but the thing is that they all freeze very well, so you'll be able to batch up quantities for another time if you want.  If I've got a favourite veg accompaniment I've included that from time to time, so obviously you'll have cook that fresh, but it won't take long to do.  Again, the veg will be in largeish portions, so you'll have to adjust the recipe to however many you're feeding. 

Sp1ke’s Carbonnade of Beef “a la flamande”

Serves 4

2lb sliced shin of beef
2tbs sunflower oil
1½ lb onions, thinly sliced
2oz butter
2tbs plain flour
2½ tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 pint strong ale
1 pint beef stock
A bouquet garni of 2 bay leaves, 2 thyme sprigs and a small bunch of parsley, tied together
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3.  Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish on the hob.  Add the slices of shin and brown well on all sides, then lift them onto a plate.  Add the onions and butter to the casserole and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring often, until they are soft and well coloured.

Stir in the flour and cook for a minute or two.  Return the shin to the casserole and lift some of the onions on top.  Add the Worcestershire sauce, ale, stock, bouquet garni and up to 20 turns of the black pepper mill, depending on how well seasoned you like your food.  Cover the casserole and cook in the oven for two hours. 

This eats very well with Cabbage shallots, garlic and flat leaf parsley, and baked potatoes.  So if you want baked potatoes, put as many as you want into the oven to cook along with the carbonnade.  And the cabbage recipe is:

Cabbage with Shallots, Garlic and Flatleaf Parsley

Serves 6

2lb thinly sliced white baggage
3 finely chopped garlic cloves
5 thinly sliced shallots
4tbs sunflower oil
2tsp salt
10 turns of the black pepper mill
¾ oz chopped flat leaf parsley

Wash the cabbage leaves and dry them thoroughly.  Place each leaf on a board and cut out the hard centre stem and discard it.  Then pile a few of the cut leaves one on top of the other and roll them into a cigar shape, and slice them to about ¼ inch thickness.

The place everything in a saucepan, cover tightly and cook gently over a low heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cabbage and onions are tender.  Stir in the flat leaf parsley and serve.

Lancashire Hotpot

Serves 6

I’ve used best end chops as opposed to the traditional middle neck chops, as I find them less fatty.

4 lamb’s kidneys
3lb floury potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
1lb onions, halved and thinly sliced
10 best end chops, bony ends cut off and trimmed of excess fat
2 small lamb shanks, cut into small chunks
2tsp fresh thyme leaves
4 medium carrots, sliced
2tbsp dripping or lard
½ fl oz Worcestershire sauce
1 heaped tsp plain flour
1 pint lamb stock
2oz butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 160C?325F/Gas 3.  Butter the base of a flameproof casserole and spread a single layer of potatoes over it.  In another pan, melt the dripping or lard and fry the onions with the thyme leaves until the onions are transparent.  Set them aside.  Cut the kidneys in half and snip out the cores with scissors.  Cut them into thin slices.  Dust the lamb shanks and the kidneys with flour and fry them briefly in the same pan with the dripping, then set them aside.  Add the Worcestershire sauce to the hot pan and stir, scraping all the bits from the bottom.  Add the stock and bring to the boil. 

Then scatter half  of the onions, half the chops, half the carrots, and half the lamb shanks and kidneys over the potato slices in the casserole dish.  Season well and then repeat the layers, starting with a layer of potato slices.  Pour in the boiling stock and finish with a layer of neatly overlapping potato slices.  Brush the top with some of the melted butter, and cover with a well fitting lid.  Bake the hotpot in the oven for 2 hours.

Remove the hotpot from the oven.  Raise the temperature to 220C/425F/Gas 7.  Remove the lid and brush the potatoes once more with the rest of the melted butter, and return the casserole to the oven for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are crisp and golden.

Chorizo and Butter Bean Stew with Garlic and Thyme

Serves 4

12oz dried Judion de la Granja butter beans, soaked overnight
8oz hot Chorizo (such as Parrilla Chorizo Picante)
2 fl oz olive oil
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
½ medium onion, finely chopped
6 fl oz red wine
14oz can of chopped tomatoes
1tbs thyme leaves
2tbs chopped flat leaf parsley
Salt

Put the butter beans in a large pan with plenty of water.  Bring them to the boil and simmer for 1 hour until tender.  Drain and set aside.

Cut the chorizo sausages into thin slices.  Put the olive oil and garlic into a pan and heat over a medium high heat until the garlic begins to sizzle.  Add the chorizo and cook until the slices are lightly browned on both sides, then add the onion and cook until it has softened.

Add the red wine and cook until it has reduced to almost nothing.  Add the chopped tomatoes, thyme, butter beans and half a teaspoonful of salt and simmer for 15 minutes.

Scatter over the parsley, spoon the stew into deep warm bowls and serve with some crusty bread.

Collops of Beef

Serves 4

1½ lb piece of braising steak, sliced into 4
1 onion, chopped
6oz mushrooms, sliced
2tbs plain flour
2oz butter
1 bay leaf
¾ pint beef stock

Heat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas 4.  Season the flour with the salt and pepper to your liking, and then coat the beef slices with the seasoned flour, and shake off the excess.  Melt the butter in the frying pan and over a medium heat fry the collops for 2 minutes each side.  Remove them from the pan and set them aside.  Then lower the heat and gently fry the onions and mushrooms.  Then put them in a casserole, with the bay leaf, and lay the collops on top.  Pour in the stock, cover the casserole and cook for 1½ hours.  Serve with buttered mashed potatoes and a green vegetable.  Rowan or redcurrant jelly goes well with this dish.

Steak and Guinness Pie

Serves 4

1½ lb braising steak, cut into 2 inch cubes
8oz lambs kidney, cut in half and the cores snipped out with scissors, then sliced
2tbsp oil
6oz baby onions, peeled and left whole
6oz baby carrots, peeled and left whole
1tbsp plain flour
½ pint beef stock
½ pint Guinness
2tsp tomato puree
1tsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper
1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
Beaten egg to glaze

Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the meat and kidney in batches (don’t cook it all at once as it will braise as opposed to sealing the meat).  Transfer to a casserole dish.  Add the onions and carrots to the frying pan and fry until lightly browned.  Add them to the casserole dish.

Mix the flour with a little of the stock and blend to a cream, and then add this to the frying pan and then add the remaining stock, Guinness, tomato puree and sugar.  Season to your taste.  Bring to the boil, stirring constantly.  Simmer for 1 minute then pour into the casserole.  Cover the casserole and cook in the oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.  Allow to cool.

Drain the meat and vegetables from the gravy, and retain the gravy.  Spoon the meat and vegetables into a 2 pint pie dish, and add about 3 fl oz of the gravy.   Dampen the edges of the dish with water, and lift over the pastry to cover the filling.  Trim the edges with a knife and crimp between your finger and thumb to create a decorate pattern.  Cut some leaves from the pastry scraps, moisten the top of the pie and arrange the leaves to decorate it.  Cut a hole in the centre of the pie to allow the steam to escape.  Chill the pie for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas 7.  Brush the pastry with beaten egg to glaze it.  Stand the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.  Serve with the reheated gravy. 

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2008, 11:41:23 am »
I finally got meslf a caaserole dish amd done this tasty heart warming much on Friday. I had it with baked beans, beetroot and brown sauce. I also had it Saturday and Sunday nights.   

:lickin

Lentil Sheperds Pie. 

Ingredients

110g (4oz) brown lentils
900g (2lbs) potatoes, roughly chopped
40g (1.5oz) butter
3 tbsp olive oil
3-5 tbsp milk
8oz onions or leeks sliced
4oz carrots, small slices
4oz parsnips, small slices
8oz mushrooms, roughly chopped
3-4 sticks celery, sliced
2 tbsp tomato puree
225g (8oz) chopped tomatoes
1tbsp soy sauce
sprig of Rosemary, finely chopped
1tsp dried oregano
1 bayleaf
A spalsh of worcester sauce

Instructions

1. Cook the lentils in stock or water until they are tender (about 1 hour).

2. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water. When tender, drain and mash with the butter and milk to obtain creamy (not sloppy) mashed potatoes. Season to taste.

3. Meanwhile saute the onions, celery, carrots and parsnips with a small amount of olive oil, until almost tender. If they are slow in cooking, add a bit of water, cover and cook until the carrots are tender. Also add the worcester sauce.

4. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until they are softening. Then add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato puree and rosemary and cook for a few more minutes. Season to taste with soy sauce and salt and pepper.

5. Spread out in an ovenproof dish. Cover with mashed potatoes about 2cm thick. Use a fork to decorate the top if you like. Bake at 200C (375F, gas 5) for 30-40 minutes, until the top is ncely browned. Your grill may be used to brown the top.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2008, 12:03:37 pm »
That sounds yummy, Kesey.  I'm sure Sp1ke will think so too. 

Did you manage to pick up a second hand casserole dish or did you have to buy a new one?  You can get really good ones in charity shops if you're lucky.  At one time, the Le Cruset (?sp) ones were very fashionable but the drawback was they're so very heavy, even when empty let alone full of stew, so a lot of people got rid of them.  Its well worth keeping an eye open for them, even if you don't need another right away, because they cook beautifully and last for ages (if you can stand their weight).   ;D