Author Topic: Total War Series: Rome, Medieval, Shogun etc  (Read 24579 times)

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Total War Series: Rome, Medieval, Shogun etc
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2007, 11:33:45 am »
Game (and I assume other places) are currently selling Rome and both expansion packs (Barbarian Invasion and Alexander) for the princely sum of £12.99 - that's my weekend lost

I forgot how much attacking peasants with wardogs made me giggle  :-[
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2007, 06:31:35 pm »
I forgot how much attacking peasants with wardogs made me giggle  :-[

Are you talking about what you did today in the real world or in the game?
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2007, 08:24:16 pm »
Are you talking about what you did today in the real world or in the game?

I thought I put that in "What really makes you smile"  :-[
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2007, 06:29:52 pm »
Anyone else ever played as the Carthiginians? How on earth are you supposed to ever get enough money to do anything but desperately defend the cities you already have, never mind take new ones? Played about 20 years now and I'm still in my original cities. I'm being attacked by two Roman factions, the Spanish and the Numidians. Can't risk leaving any fewer defenders than I already have in my cities and I can't afford to build a decent army to attack anyone else.

Elephants are even more fun than war dogs though.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2007, 07:32:18 pm »
Anyone else ever played as the Carthiginians? How on earth are you supposed to ever get enough money to do anything but desperately defend the cities you already have, never mind take new ones? Played about 20 years now and I'm still in my original cities. I'm being attacked by two Roman factions, the Spanish and the Numidians. Can't risk leaving any fewer defenders than I already have in my cities and I can't afford to build a decent army to attack anyone else.

Lepcis Magna and the Numidian coastal cities are keys for better trade prospects.  Try diplomacy to bring the Spanish back onside, using the "gift" option for small amounts 10-25 gold per turn, should make diplomacy easier.

Eliminating Numidia as early as possible would be key, since those cities are next to yours and you're getting nothing from trading with a country with whom you are at war.  Once the Numidians are wiped out, then working with the Spanish against the Gauls is a good bet.

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2007, 01:03:50 pm »

I found the Carthaginians hard work at first. As Bill says the key is to sort North Africa out first, its tricky to take on the Romans as they start off quickly. If you can persevere the later Carthaginian units are very effective. One of the better factions to play.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2007, 04:55:01 pm »
Lepcis Magna and the Numidian coastal cities are keys for better trade prospects.  Try diplomacy to bring the Spanish back onside, using the "gift" option for small amounts 10-25 gold per turn, should make diplomacy easier.

Eliminating Numidia as early as possible would be key, since those cities are next to yours and you're getting nothing from trading with a country with whom you are at war.  Once the Numidians are wiped out, then working with the Spanish against the Gauls is a good bet.

I found the Carthaginians hard work at first. As Bill says the key is to sort North Africa out first, its tricky to take on the Romans as they start off quickly. If you can persevere the later Carthaginian units are very effective. One of the better factions to play.

Cheers lads - will give it a go now I'm back from my hols

Offline zjim

• Kopite
« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2007, 07:33:55 am »

When i played as the carthiginians i found it hard at first but what i did was i held back the romans in sicily for a year or two but then went on the offensive and took messina all the mean while using my better navy to hold back the bruiti and juli.  Though i must say i did get lucky because all the Scipi generals attacked me and i killed them all in one big battle which and so in a year they were defeated as the fraction leader died of old age with no heirs.  AFter that i didn't go into italy instead thanks to the blody spanish i was forced to concentrate on them which is atually harder than the romans because your cities over there suck. Eventually i took spain and then pushed into the Juili held gaul which is always easy to take.  But i also then invade southern italy via Croton because it is never well defended from there i moved in on Rome from two fronts. The real hard part then truly comes as you try to take greace because it will be extremely well fortified, but i'll leave that to you. have fun

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: August 24, 2007, 06:47:10 am »
Took the advice on and I've cleared the first three North African provinces of Numidians. I also attacked the Romans in Sicily last night (the northern city) - fought the definition of a phyrric victory. Had about 270 troops beseiging them (mostly Sacred Bands with slingers, some elephants and some cavalry when they attacked me with over 700 from in the city and that had been landed on the coast.

I eventually beat them with about 50 Sacred Band left on their feet. 600 Romans dead before us, 200+ Cathaginians dead behind us.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2007, 02:11:31 pm »
New Total War announced - Empire:Total War set in the 18th century. Now with controllable naval battles and the opportunity to rebuild the empire and kill the French.

Now, where did I leave my Brown Bess?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 02:15:57 pm by BIGdavalad »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2007, 03:49:13 pm »
New Total War announced - Empire:Total War set in the 18th century. Now with controllable naval battles and the opportunity to rebuild the empire and kill the French.

Now, where did I leave my Brown Bess?

rereading the Sharpe series comes in handy yet again... :P

Offline Slidey

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • http://rawk.impulsed.net
« Reply #171 on: September 5, 2007, 12:24:12 am »
installed kingdoms - totally cocked up my windows settings (i think after installing .net 1.1), and it doesnt look as interesting as medieval II anyway!

its also got an annoying menu now on startup...

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #172 on: September 5, 2007, 08:45:57 am »
Empire Total War looks like a must:

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 2, 2008, 11:57:58 am »
its addictive and will take most of your life away. In Med II I'd fight the battles yourself if the numbers are roughly the same as the computer tends to make things up.
Also diplomacy is very useful early doors as it stops other countries attacking you but once you attack them, your reputation goes down big style.
The biggest thing to be aware of is religion, it can really fuck you up if you don't keep the peasants happy (ie catholics - build churches, don't get excommunicated by attacking other Catholic countries as the Pope will call a crusade and that's bad, very bad news.)
Have a look on the fora for Med II there's a couple of very good guides, and finally get the Kingdoms expansion pack, well worth it and a hoot. But only when you've got used to playing the main game. :wave
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: January 2, 2008, 12:17:17 pm »
Yeah the manual's not that good. The game has an annoying help mechanism but it is useful to begin with. However look for a guide to the game in the forum on total war, I think by frogz or someone, gives good advice which way to go.
I tend to attack quick and strike with a large force early on so I can get lots of castles. I save my game all the time, and use assassins to blow stuff up in other castles/towns and also get spies into other areas as they can often open the gates for sieges without you needing siege equipment.
Finally remember you need some infantry to get siege equipment so you can't turn up with just cavalry unless you've got a couple of spies in there.
Yep.

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 2, 2008, 03:58:15 pm »
I think they are all available via steam if you dont mind not getting a dvd.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 3, 2008, 08:18:09 pm »
I have had a copy of Medieval Total War sitting around for ages and failed to get into it, maybe because it was pretty slow on my Old Duron 700Mhz, but now I have a new laptop I may give it a bit of a go again.

Any tips to get me started?
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: January 3, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »
read my posts above mate.
Yep.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 3, 2008, 08:23:42 pm »
read my posts above mate.

Thank you, if I had have not just come back from the first day back in the office I just may have been on the ball enough to spot that!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #179 on: January 3, 2008, 08:25:09 pm »
Protect your generals and skill them up (by winning battles). A good general really makes your army stronger. Send your merchants away as far as possible. As they get older and wiser they bring in loads of cash.

If you have loads of different fronts try and get a princess to marry the country on one side. Its a huge advantage. Far stronger than a normal alliance.

It takes bloody ages but its absorbing fun. Games last a few weeks generally.

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #180 on: January 4, 2008, 10:20:15 am »
Medieval....now there are some memories... Leading a crusade as the English and camping my ass on top of a hill in Palestine with my longbowmen guarded by phalanxes of Swiss Pikemen... I survived 3000 I think it was Islamic crazies with my god given (read unlimited) arrows with only 500 men... took damned near an hour and a half to conclude that battle.

Other memories include the fact that the fucking computer ALWAYS cheats with leaders. I always ended up an inbred, incesteous, lunatic sybaritic gluttonous corrupt fat boring bastard arse bandit cuckold, who was 'lame of loin' (who incidentally, was explicitly stated as 'lacking manhood), while the PC players would always end up with legendary leaders who are fearless, authorative, great speakers, great mathematicians, excellent administrators, bold attackers AND defenders, and sexual predator womanisers who were prolifically virile to boot. Bunch of c*nts. Not only do they insult my virility and my family tree, they have the cheek to cheat in the process.

The last straw went when I had the trait 'sexually liberated', which actually granted a popularity bonus, turn into a 'diabolically degenerate' trait, and this somehow later developed into me being a 'spawn of incest' who was later 'married to my mother'. Unsurprisingly, that time I ended up 'cruelly deformed' as well...c*nts :P
« Last Edit: January 4, 2008, 10:47:54 am by valore »
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #181 on: January 7, 2008, 06:39:06 pm »
Other memories include the fact that the fucking computer ALWAYS cheats with leaders. I always ended up an inbred, incesteous, lunatic sybaritic gluttonous corrupt fat boring bastard arse bandit cuckold, who was 'lame of loin' (who incidentally, was explicitly stated as 'lacking manhood), while the PC players would always end up with legendary leaders who are fearless, authorative, great speakers, great mathematicians, excellent administrators, bold attackers AND defenders, and sexual predator womanisers who were prolifically virile to boot. Bunch of c*nts. Not only do they insult my virility and my family tree, they have the cheek to cheat in the process.

Ha ha ha, i sense a future on Fraser Kranes couch, there's a lot of resentment there....
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2008, 11:30:18 am »
Any tips on repelling the Mongol hordes?

Thought I was doing nicely in the Middle East, 5 cities as a legacy of a crusade army that didn't even show up in time for the battle. Now the Mongols have arrived in massive numbers, all their generals are legends and they're richer than Abramovich.

My English Knights aren't proving a match. :(

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2008, 12:14:24 pm »
Any tips on repelling the Mongol hordes?

Am playing with Egypt a third time and have finally killed them off. I let them take Antioch so they have a home base and they start to spread out. They will inevitably take a few more cities before the tide turns.They have about 8 great generals. I concentrate on trying to kill them even if I lose the battle. They defend their cities really poorly so a surprise attack from the sea means you can retake these cities pretty easy/

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2008, 02:48:18 pm »
Matt
This happened to me, so I picked the less well defended cities, and basically diminished their wealth. Also I gave up Constantinople to them in return for a truce and built my armies up. But it takes a long long time.
Or you can ask for a crusade if you're clever ;)
Yep.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2008, 11:23:33 am »
thinking back I should've offered them one of my cities early on in order to stem the tide. As it was they just took most of them anyway. Will make a stand at Acre and Jerusalem but my units dont seem effective against them, the Knights take a right mauling, only the longbowmen are halfway effective.

The Pope hates my guts and has done for ages.

One problem I have is that my Eastern holdings are separate from my main powerbase so I can't bring all my force to bear on them.

The point about them spreading out is a good one though.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2008, 12:20:10 pm »
As soon as I've finished the Orange Box, this is going back on.

The Pope hates my guts and has done for ages.

And in the game?

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2008, 07:08:28 pm »
Any of you guys play online?,the boxsets of total war series are becoming very tempting to purchase.

Offline dfdave12

• Kopite
« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2008, 11:41:45 pm »
Just got Medieval Kingdoms. Playing as the Scots in Britannia. Anyone have tips for them?

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2008, 09:25:52 am »
yep, take the north of england, leave Ireland for ages, until the end, and then nip into Carlisle and a bit of wales. Take most of Norway but leave them one place far away cos that's where their reinforcements arrive, and they have a lot!
Yep.

Offline dfdave12

• Kopite
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2008, 12:54:53 am »
yep, take the north of england, leave Ireland for ages, until the end, and then nip into Carlisle and a bit of wales. Take most of Norway but leave them one place far away cos that's where their reinforcements arrive, and they have a lot!

Am working on Norway. They sieged Inverness twice but I managed to defeat them both times, and also beat them a third time in another battle near there. Regrouping my forces and will soon attack their capital as I think most of their army has been destroyed.

Have made allies with Wales and the Barons so will leave England till later.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2008, 05:55:35 pm »
remember William Wallace will pitch up as infantry, but 1000 of them for you soon.

Go onto the main forum and look for Frog's guide to Kingdoms excellent advice all round.
Yep.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #193 on: February 20, 2008, 06:09:21 pm »
having a horrible time in RTW as the Seleucids on very hard/very hard difficulty settings, after a few short years, I keep getting attacked by all of Greece, Parthia, Armenia and Pontus...

can see why the Diadochi struggled...

Offline dfdave12

• Kopite
« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2008, 07:05:18 pm »
Thinking of using William Wallace to attack York. Problem is he is in way northern Scotland into parts of Norway, so getting him down will take many a turn.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2008, 09:30:53 pm »
Ship him down mate, jump on at Aberdeen and off at Newcastle.
Yep.

Offline dfdave12

• Kopite
« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2008, 02:16:40 am »
Ship him down mate, jump on at Aberdeen and off at Newcastle.

Genius idea, but Newcastle is controlled by the Barons and they are my allies. I've got a fort a bit north of them but it's not on a waterway so dunno if that will work.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2008, 02:30:03 am »
There's a website which takes your specs and says whether or not you can run a game adequately, I'll try and dig up the link for you.
Alright I'm quite late in replying to this, but would you be talking about srtest.com ?
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline dfdave12

• Kopite
« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2008, 01:31:55 pm »
Just out of curiosity, how often do you all lose battles? Lost my 1st in northern scotland vs. Norway and had close to 1000 of my men wiped out. Luckily I had William Wallace close at hand and he's held down that area very well, defeating 2 Norwegian armies who were sieging Inverness. Thinking of counter attacking with him and my army in Inverness and invading Norway now.

Also took Lancaster in England last night. Sieged their castle and they sallied out to meet me, but got slaughtered in the process...lost around 50 of my 1000 men and inflicted casualties on all but 8 of their 500 soldiers.

Lastly, I'm close to 30k in debt so am in deep shite!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2008, 01:52:40 pm »
i tend to save the pre battle game and then charge in knowing the medieval gods will let me replay ;)

No, what I do is usually use massive numbers of troops if I'm going to let the AI decide the battle, which works in seiges, or if I have fewer numbers, get thieves inside and open up the place then nick in,
or on outside ground, I usually can win with just some forethought, retreat til their army is split due to the different speeds of their troops, and aim my strongest ones straight at their general, the peasants will usually leg it soon after.
Yep.