Author Topic: 1984 European Cup:  (Read 138110 times)

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Re: Memories of Rome 84 - From Rome to Home.
« Reply #40 on: June 1, 2014, 11:18:45 am »
Dover - can't recall the face but, yes, he was a regular at aways around that time.

Blonde haired lad I think, he turned up at Soton away once with white shoes and got ragged for it.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: June 1, 2014, 11:44:13 am »
Dover - can't recall the face but, yes, he was a regular at aways around that time.

Blonde haired lad I think, he turned up at Soton away once with white shoes and got ragged for it.

That's the fella !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 1, 2014, 04:35:36 pm »
5 of us set off in a Ford Granada, only supposed to be 4 off us going but me best mate decided last minute to fuck off his holiday with his bird and his engagement and literally jump in, best move he ever made he says to this day.
1 was 18 at the time, so my first one, remember being gutted in 81 when me dad and all his brothers and mates left for Paris flags furled getting told I was to young to go for that one.There was no stopping me for Rome.
 The innocence of youth is great to look back on, no plan, no sat nav, just a fucking big map, load of ale and a two man tent.
We  stopped off in France on the way, one of them roadside pull overs, to pissed to get the tent up so a few kipped in the car and a couple of us on some benches, i woke up to a tap on the shoulder from a French Bizzie telling us to move on. Next stop was a little town on the coast of Italy called La Spezzia, spent a good day and night here on the piss and had a ball, cheap red wine , fine young Italian girls, and a few dodgy moments with locals but on the whole all good, we loaded up on the cheap plonk and set off to Rome.
Arriving in Rome, with the scarfs and flags decking the car out, hanging out the car singing was magnificent. Yellow and red flags everywhere hanging from buildings, we felt like fucking kings arriving.
To be fair the Romans in the few days before the game were sound to us, loads of good banter, an epic drunken  game of footie against a load of their fans on a field outside the Collisium, playing headers in the Trevi fountain, getting interviewed by radio city and me family just happened hear it back home. Me mate got a spare from Paul Usher of all people( Barry Grant from Brookie who had  a mate with one extra…fucking happy days) Everything was falling into place. We found a  campsite on the outskirts owned by a Lazio fan who was a cracking fella, he lent us a tent too,  and gave us the name of a Lazio bar and directions for it after the game, which proved to be some of  the best  advice  I think I ever have been given in hindsight.
You could literally feel the change in mood on the day of the game, the couple of days before the Romans we met were very welcoming, it was good to get off the tram and walk down a big tree lined boulevard, more yellow and red flags draped everywhere, them big foam fingers,  and the red and white checkers in our end, some fella next to us stumbled in bladdered and slept through the whole game, we woke his up for the penalties. I can't remember much of the game at all, sang myself hoarse, I remember sitting down for for Kennedy's penalty, bottling it.Pure joy when it went in…then a few bonfires in there end, then that walk out after, getting rained on with bottles and bricks, dads with kids sheltering ..fucking despicable twats, we legged it to the Lazio bar where our campsite boss met us , the place was bouncing . A  few good bevvies in there and off back to the campsite, fair do's this fella had put a big spread on in the camp bar and the drinks flowed. About 30 reds had found the campsite and we had a ball in there. We were lucky to meet this fella , loads of accounts off mates from after the game all much like the ones in here.
The trip home was long, no money for food, just petrol and the ferry money,  we met a few older hands at our campsite who had drove down and we followed them all the way back, every time they stopped and cooked on a grill out of the boot of their car they brought us food over, great fellas , we would have been fucked without there help on the way back. Sitting here now 30 years later I wonder where the fuck they went…30 years....christ. It was the start of many a foray into Europe following the reds though for me, the comarardierie of fellow reds  has always been the same and them old hands who helped us on the way back has always stuck with me.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: June 1, 2014, 05:27:43 pm »
I went. It was shit. I'd been there in 77. I went to Juve the year before. That was shit an all. Me mates call me Lucky
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: June 3, 2014, 11:25:04 am »
Part of our History
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #45 on: June 3, 2014, 02:25:43 pm »
Terrific piece mate.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #46 on: June 3, 2014, 09:02:25 pm »
Wow - fanastic read.

My trip to Istanbul was a bit of a "planes trains & automobiles" type adventure but without the threat of being battered/stabbed hanging over us.  Must have been horrible for Reds to go through.  Rome from a day or two before the final onwards sounds a proper nasty place to be. 

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:26 pm »
Fantastic read that mate. Really enjoyed it.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 10:41:54 pm »
Wow - fanastic read.

My trip to Istanbul was a bit of a "planes trains & automobiles" type adventure but without the threat of being battered/stabbed hanging over us.  Must have been horrible for Reds to go through.  Rome from a day or two before the final onwards sounds a proper nasty place to be. 

Always liked that picture anyone got a bigger version of it
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #49 on: July 5, 2014, 12:27:32 am »

Respect x2.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2015, 02:12:12 pm »
Here is a Rome 84 documentary - audio. It's a good listen.
https://mega.co.nz/#!mYoxRAbJ!vCn_Z5ZKlBQlevwiVO0W6Tmh08QOdqcq9i-Oe85bY8k
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Kemlyn 28

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2015, 11:49:38 pm »
Brilliant that from Flashing Blade.Its the onlyEC Final Ive missed.Had a job interview the following morning,which I couldnt change,and couldn't turn down either due to being on the dole.I got the job and a decent 30 career out of it so not all bad,and recently retired from it.

Offline seanbren

• Main Stander
Re: 1984 European Cup: John Peel broadcast
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2016, 04:52:14 am »
Goosebumps and smiles from me after listening to this.
I'd heard about this legendary broadcast and now I've heard it.
Gold!

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2016, 09:33:19 am »
Great stuff. Thank you.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2016, 08:01:14 am »
Kid Jensen 'They won it in a penalty kicking competition'.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2018, 08:29:09 am »
I wonder how many "converts" to LFC can be directly attributed to John Peel? Must have been loads of kids across the UK who started supporting us because of his clear broadcast passion for the reds. His programme was THE show to hear new music throughout my youth and countless others no doubt got inspired to listen to Eg. The Smiths,The Fall,New Order so surely his LFC allegiance rubbed  off on some of them listeners. Great DJ sadly missed from our airwaves/digital broadcasts.

Offline IckeScouse

• Boys Pen
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2018, 06:34:18 am »
Here is a Rome 84 documentary - audio. It's a good listen.
https://mega.co.nz/#!mYoxRAbJ!vCn_Z5ZKlBQlevwiVO0W6Tmh08QOdqcq9i-Oe85bY8k

Hey Alfonso, do you still have that one somewhere? :-)