Author Topic: Typhoid Trump: the not-smart, corrupt, coward, loser, thread  (Read 4550142 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ill Douche - Fungal Dick
« Reply #54880 on: June 17, 2019, 02:41:47 pm »
6 years? Does he think he’s already in his second term? Haha

Or this isn’t real and I’m being whooshed.

No. He means he wants a third term. 

After that? Well his family is clearly so good at the job they shouldn't go to the expense of elections anymore and so should just do away with them.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54881 on: June 17, 2019, 04:21:06 pm »
Maybe he's rounded his time so far down to two years and thus it would be six years left with him assuming he will win a 2nd term.
Yes, since he started late Jan 2017 think that's what he's going for there.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #54882 on: June 17, 2019, 07:51:20 pm »
Bad day for Paul Manafort and other Trump folks expecting pardons.

SCOTUS rules that states can charge them despite federal charges.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/politics/supreme-court-double-jeopardy-clause-case/index.html
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #54883 on: June 17, 2019, 08:33:54 pm »
Actually, it is 50% that don't vote and don't care usually.

I know far too many of those people, including family members. It's concerning to say the least.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Online jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #54884 on: June 17, 2019, 08:53:41 pm »
My (very rough) guess is there are thirds. One third are his base, they feel he can do whatever he wants. One third are the informed populace, they think he can't. One third don't give a fuck.

These days, that formula is true for almost every issue except climate change and 'nucular' disarmament.
Kill the humourless

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54885 on: June 17, 2019, 09:37:44 pm »
Listened to a podcast yesterday. It's a republican who was extremely annoyed with Trump. He is doing the opposite of what he said he would do when he was a candidate. Trumpy has increased the debt and he has inflated the financial bubble.

Which shouldn't be a surprise. Trumpy is all about himself, about making him look good. He will sacrifice anything and everything to make it happen.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #54886 on: June 17, 2019, 09:50:36 pm »
Listened to a podcast yesterday. It's a republican who was extremely annoyed with Trump. He is doing the opposite of what he said he would do when he was a candidate. Trumpy has increased the debt and he has inflated the financial bubble.

That's fairly typical Republican. It's what Dubya did.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54887 on: June 17, 2019, 09:57:37 pm »
John Oliver made the case for impeachment today if anybody saw it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54888 on: June 17, 2019, 10:34:52 pm »
Reuters
Justice Uncle Thomas urges U.S. Supreme Court to feel free to reverse precedents
 By Jonathan Stempel 
1 hr ago

(Reuters) - Justice Clarence Thomas on Monday urged the U.S. Supreme Court to feel less bound to upholding precedent, advancing a view that if adopted by enough of his fellow justices could result in more past decisions being overruled, perhaps including the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion nationwide.

Writing in a gun possession case over whether the federal government and states can prosecute someone separately for the same crime, Thomas said the court should reconsider its standard for reviewing precedents.

Thomas said the nine justices should not uphold precedents that are "demonstrably erroneous," regardless of whether other factors supported letting them stand.

"When faced with a demonstrably erroneous precedent, my rule is simple: We should not follow it," wrote Thomas, who has long expressed a greater willingness than his colleagues to overrule precedents.

In a concurring opinion, which no other justice joined, Thomas referred to the court's 1992 decision in Planned Parenthood v. Casey, which reaffirmed Roe and said states cannot place an undue burden on the constitutional right to an abortion recognized in the Roe decision. Thomas, a member of the court at the time, dissented from the Casey ruling.

Thomas, 70, joined the court in 1991 as an appointee of Republican President George H.W. Bush. Thomas is its longest-serving current justice.

The court now has a 5-4 conservative majority, and Thomas is among its most conservative justices.

He demonstrated his willingness to abandon precedent in February when he wrote that the court should reconsider its landmark 1964 New York Times v. Sullivan ruling that made it harder for public officials to win libel lawsuits.

"Thomas says legal questions have objectively correct answers, and judges should find them regardless of whether their colleagues or predecessors found different answers," said Jonathan Entin, a law professor at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. "Everyone is concerned about this because they're thinking about Roe v. Wade."

COURT DIVISIONS

The Thomas opinion focused on "stare decisis," a Latin term referring to the legal principle that U.S. courts should not overturn precedents without a special reason.

While stare decisis (pronounced STAR-ay deh-SY-sis) has no formal parameters, justices deciding whether to uphold precedents often look at such factors as whether they work, enhance stability in the law, are part of the national fabric or promote reliance interests, such as in contract cases.

In 2000, conservative then-Chief Justice William Rehnquist left intact the landmark 1966 Miranda v. Arizona ruling, which required police to advise people in custody of their rights, including the rights to remain silent and have a lawyer.

Writing for a 7-2 majority, Rehnquist wrote that regardless of concerns about Miranda's reasoning, "the principles of stare decisis weigh heavily against overruling it now." Thomas joined Justice Antonin Scalia's dissent from that decision. But even Scalia, a conservative who died in 2016, had a different view of stare decisis.

In a widely quoted comment, Scalia once told a Thomas biographer, Ken Foskett, that Thomas "doesn't believe in stare decisis, period," and that "if a constitutional line of authority is wrong, he would say let's get it right. I wouldn't do that."

Stare decisis has also split the current court, including last month when in a 5-4 decision written by Thomas the justices overruled a 1979 precedent that had allowed states to be sued by private parties in courts of other states.

Justice Stephen Breyer, a member of the court's liberal wing, dissented, faulting the majority for overruling "a well-reasoned decision that has caused no serious practical problems." Citing the 1992 Casey ruling, Breyer said the May decision "can only cause one to wonder which cases the Court will overrule next."

Thomas said the court should "restore" its jurisprudence relating to precedents to ensure it exercises "mere judgment" and focuses on the "correct, original meaning" of laws it interprets.

"In our constitutional structure, our rule of upholding the law's original meaning is reason enough to correct course," Thomas wrote.

Thomas also said demonstrably erroneous decisions should not be "elevated" over federal statutes, as well as the Constitution, merely because they are precedents.

"That's very different from what the Court does today," said John McGinnis, a law professor at Northwestern University in Chicago.

McGinnis said the thrust of Thomas's opinion "makes clear that in a narrow area he will give some weight to precedent. But at the same time, he thinks cases have one right answer, and might find more cases 'demonstrably erroneous.'"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/justice-thomas-urges-us-supreme-court-to-feel-free-to-reverse-precedents/ar-AAD1ndv?ocid=spartanntp
Kill the humourless

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #54889 on: June 17, 2019, 10:38:17 pm »

Brilliant.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54890 on: June 17, 2019, 11:08:35 pm »
I know far too many of those people, including family members. It's concerning to say the least.

Do you think that any of them could be prompted to vote? Would it be economic issues? Or are they just completely disinterested in any kind of politics?

I heard one TX congresswoman say that people claim that Texas is a Red state...but it is actually a non-voting state. i would figure there are a few red states that are like that.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54891 on: June 17, 2019, 11:11:32 pm »
Luckily Thomas isn't chief justice. The vote today was 7 to 2. That is a bit encouraging.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54892 on: June 17, 2019, 11:22:43 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zxT8CM8XntA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zxT8CM8XntA</a>

Happy to see John Oliver has been reading my posts at RAWK:
I don't think this situation is comparable to Clinton. Clinton lied under oath. Although bad, the lie was over a personal matter. Now, compare that to what Trump has done and how transparent it should be after Congressional hearings, which will be 'must watch' TV! I am not suggesting there are no risks involved (as the Senate almost certainly will not convict). But if Trump is demonstrably and transparently guilty, the greater risk might be the backlash against Senators who fail to vote for conviction of Trump.

The other reason why there should be impeachment hearings is because it is congressional duty to do so - it is the Constitution for good reason.

Even if Nancy Pelosi is correct in her political assessment (and I accept that she may be), this does not negate congressional duty to act. Nor does it take into account the expectation by a large number of Democrats (and a growing number of Republicans) for Congress to press for impeachment (there could be backlash for that failure too).

There are no easy answers here. But I am of the (growing) opinion that Congress and the Senate should perform their duties and let they chips fall where they may. Much as Robert Mueller did.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54893 on: June 17, 2019, 11:23:15 pm »
Just think "What benefits me the most" that's the american core value.

Except that doesn't explain voting for Trump. "What screws over my enemies the most?" does.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54894 on: June 17, 2019, 11:39:15 pm »

Really good piece
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #54895 on: June 17, 2019, 11:41:32 pm »
Except that doesn't explain voting for Trump. "What screws over my enemies the most?" does.

Not really, they thought trump would help them. They thought he would get rid of all the dirty immigrants taking their jobs, they thought trump would fight for the little man, they thought trump would make america great again, they're also idiots.

Online jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54896 on: June 18, 2019, 01:23:28 pm »
POLITICO
‘Lock him up’: Dems flirt with calls to prosecute Trump
 By Darren Samuelsohn 
3 hrs ago

Get ready for a potential new 2020 presidential campaign chant: “Lock him up”

A role reversal is starting to play out, with some Democrats openly taunting President Donald Trump with threats he’ll be the one spending time behind bars after he’s out of office. And some White House hopefuls have started weighing in, teeing off on the norm-busting Trump presidency and arguing that no person should be above prosecution if the evidence is there. Yet in the process, they’re alarming law enforcement veterans across the political spectrum who see the Democrats engaging in their own version of the politicization of the country’s criminal justice system that Trump was accused of when he fanned chants of “lock her up” during his own 2016 campaign against Hillary Clinton.

“Presidents aren’t supposed to suggest there be investigations or prosecutions of particular people, let alone their political rivals,” said Matt Axelrod, a former senior Obama-era Justice Department official. “President Trump has flagrantly and repeatedly violated that norm, but that doesn’t mean the norm has been obliterated.”

“It’s so un-American to prosecute your political enemies,” added Alan Dershowitz, the retired Harvard law professor, civil libertarian and occasional cable television Trump defender. “That’s what they do in banana republics.” (Shock and fucking awe!)

The issue isn’t going away, though. If Trump loses next November, he will return to private life, opening him up to criminal charges he was immune from as president. And former special counsel Robert Mueller has left a potential rap sheet in the form of a report with evidence that numerous legal experts argue constitutes criminal obstruction of justice.

So Democrats running for president are sure to be pressed on the loaded question: Will Trump face prosecution if you win?

Several candidates have already taken the plunge. In an NPR interview last week, California Sen. Kamala Harris said the Justice Department in her administration “would have no choice, and that they should” prosecute Trump if he no longer enjoys immunity from criminal indictment. Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., also offered his thoughts last week, telling The Atlantic, “To the extent that there’s an obstruction case, then yes, DOJ’s got to deal with it.”

Politically, using Trump's famous 2016 campaign mantra against him has its selling points. Candidates can stand out in a supersized field by speaking to the faction of the party’s base that already feels deflated by Democratic leaders’ refusal to launch impeachment proceedings and angry that Mueller declined to make a final judgment on whether Trump should face prosecution for obstructing justice.

“As the stakes get higher for the Democratic field and the nation, the incentives for many candidates is to up the rhetoric to woo the base, draw attention and win primary voters, debates and delegates,” said Scott Mulhauser, a former aide to Vice President Joe Biden. “Where this all lands, who will go farthest and what gets proposed next is anyone's guess, so each candidate has to sort through the dumpster fire of news every day, hoping their responses and their path to victory are the winning ones.”

But law enforcement veterans warned that candidates engaging on the subject are also opening up Pandora’s box. To start, they’re gift-wrapping for Trump a potent talking point he can use to excite his own voters: Keep him in office or he’s going to be fighting for his own freedom. Beyond that, Democrats risk creating their own toxic situation if they take over the White House in 2021, forced to try and advance a post-Trump agenda alongside the first ever federal criminal trial against a former American president.

“You can see a case where an incoming [Democratic] president might not want a prosecution of Trump. It has the ability to blot out your entire agenda,” said Matthew Miller, a former Obama-era Justice Department spokesman. He called it a “very slippery slope” that the next president in many ways won’t even have control over — especially if they actually step back and leave it to their new crop of DOJ leaders to decide.

“It’s a massive thing, but an independent attorney general might determine he or she has no choice,” Miller said.

Democrats have been trying to articulate what the world would look like for Trump in a post-White House era. Their troubles have been fueled in part by a POLITICO report earlier this month that the party’s de facto leader, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, pushed back on colleagues clamoring for impeachment by declaring: “I don’t want to see him impeached, I want to see him in prison.”

A few days later, Beto O’Rourke said on ABC’s “This Week” that he thought Trump had committed crimes that should be prosecuted.

“I would want my Justice Department, any future administration’s Justice Department, to follow the facts and the truth and to make sure at the end of the day that there is accountability and justice,” the former Texas congressman said. “Without that, this idea, this experiment of American democracy comes to a close.”

Next came Harris, who in an NPR podcast interview that aired last Wednesday took the biggest step yet in sizing up what she’d expect from her DOJ on the prosecution front if she defeated Trump in 2020.

“I believe that they would have no choice, and that they should,” said Harris, who also is a former California attorney general and San Francisco district attorney. “I believe there should be accountability. Everyone should be held accountable. And the president is not above the law.”

Then Buttigieg got in on the action. “I would want any credible allegation of criminal behavior to be investigated to the fullest,” he told The Atlantic.

All of the clamoring for Trump’s prosecution — and the parsing of how it would play out — has alarmed law enforcement experts.

“She refrained from chanting, ‘Lock Him Up!’ — for which I suppose we should be grateful,” Ben Wittes, a senior fellow in governance studies at Brookings and the editor-in-chief of the blog Lawfare, wrote of Harris.

He added that while Trump started the bombast in 2016, it nonetheless “is poisonous stuff in a democracy that cares about apolitical law enforcement.”

Many others agree.

Axelrod, the senior Obama-era DOJ official, said it is vital for Trump’s successor to “ensure that the traditional wall of separation between the White House and the Department of Justice on criminal matters is rebuilt,” especially in light of Trump’s possible legal troubles.

Elie Honig, a former federal prosecutor from New York, urged the Democratic candidates to try and stay away from the topic. “It simply is not the president's job to tell DOJ who to charge or with what crimes, and it's inappropriate and potentially dangerous for any president do so, in any context,” he said.

Some of the Democrats have since tried to parse their initial remarks — though they aren’t exactly doing much to back away from them.

Harris later cited the Mueller report’s 10 instances of potential obstruction. “The Department of Justice after this president is no longer in office I would assume that they’re going to take a look at it and take it where the facts may lead them,” she said on MSNBC.

“My Justice Department will be empowered to reach its own conclusions,” Buttigieg said Sunday on CNN, though he also added, “I believe that the rule of law will catch up to this president. It doesn't require the Oval Office putting any kind of thumb on the scale.”

He also said: “I trust the DOJ to reach the right determination, at least the DOJ that I would … set up. And the less that has to do with the directives coming out of the White House, the better.”

Trump’s replacement wouldn’t be the first modern-day U.S. president to face questions about how prosecutors should treat their predecessor.

President Barack Obama faced pressure from his left to prosecute George W. Bush and Dick Cheney for alleged crimes tied to the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. But as president-elect in 2009, Obama told ABC’s George Stephanopolous he had “a belief that we need to look forward as opposed to looking backwards.”

Still, the clamor continued. Even as Obama’s top aides early on tried to tamp down talk of plans to charge any Bush-era officials involved in “enhanced interrogation” programs, the dust didn’t settle until Attorney General Eric Holder ruled out prosecutions in August 2012, following an extensive audit.

Bush was spared right before his 2001 inauguration of having to deal with the fallout of a potential post-presidential indictment of Bill Clinton. On his last day in office, the Democratic lame-duck president — who’d been impeached two years earlier by the House but acquitted in the Senate — reached a deal with prosecutors to accept a five-year suspension of his law license, a $25,000 fine and an acknowledgment he’d breached professional conduct in his testimony about sexual misconduct.

In return, Clinton skirted legal jeopardy when he was no longer president.

And, most memorably, President Gerald Ford avoided the issue by offering Richard Nixon a full pardon, arguing that the country had to move on from the Watergate scandal that forced his predecessor to resign. Ford’s decision defined his presidency and played a key role in his 1976 loss to Jimmy Carter.

While a potential Trump prosecution could be at the very top of the to-do list for a Democratic administration in 2021, Miller said the next crop of Justice Department leaders may take their cues from Congress should it decide against impeaching Trump, as well as the Attorney General William Barr, who declined to bring charges against Trump.

Even if the new attorney general disagrees with Barr’s rationale, his successor may not want to reopen a case against Trump because “it is too much to put the country through,” Miller said.

That could be the ultimate kick in the gut for pro-impeachment Democrats who were told that Trump would get his comeuppance once he’s out of office.

“But such is life,” Miller said. “People should just be happy he’s gone from the presidency at that point.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/lock-him-up-dems-flirt-with-calls-to-prosecute-trump/ar-AAD3eoX?ocid=spartandhp
Kill the humourless

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #54897 on: June 18, 2019, 05:51:46 pm »
Do you think that any of them could be prompted to vote? Would it be economic issues? Or are they just completely disinterested in any kind of politics?

I heard one TX congresswoman say that people claim that Texas is a Red state...but it is actually a non-voting state. i would figure there are a few red states that are like that.

Nope, there aren't any economic issues. I had a long debate with one of them a few months ago. The premise of his argument was "I don't like Trump, but also don't care for any of the Democratic nominees, so I won't vote." I did my best to convince him otherwise, but it came to nothing.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54898 on: June 18, 2019, 05:55:21 pm »
Nope, there aren't any economic issues. I had a long debate with one of them a few months ago. The premise of his argument was "I don't like Trump, but also don't care for any of the Democratic nominees, so I won't vote." I did my best to convince him otherwise, but it came to nothing.

And here I am just getting my citizenship and I can't wait to cast my vote

Online jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54899 on: June 18, 2019, 08:14:16 pm »
Washington Examiner
Orlando Sentinel announces endorsement for whichever Democrat takes on Trump In 2020
 Dominick Mastrangelo 
3 hrs ago

Hours before President Trump is set to kickoff his 2020 reelection campaign in Orlando, the city’s largest news organization announced they are endorsing whoever challenges Trump in the general election regardless of who it is.

“We’re here to announce our endorsement for president in 2020, or, at least, who we’re not endorsing: Donald Trump,” the Orlando Sentinel said in its Tuesday staff editorial. “Because there’s no point pretending we would ever recommend that readers vote for Trump.”

After nearly three years, the paper’s editorial board said it has seen enough.

“Enough of the chaos, the division, the schoolyard insults, the self-aggrandizement, the corruption, and especially the lies,” they said. “So many lies — from white lies to whoppers — told out of ignorance, laziness, recklessness, expediency or opportunity.”

In a public shaming of people who voted for the president in 2016, the Sentinel called out what it described as a troubling “tolerance” for Trump’s divisive rhetoric.

“Trump’s capacity for lying isn’t the surprise here,” it said. “Though the frequency is. It’s the tolerance so many Americans have for it.”

Fans of the president began lining up outside the city’s Amway Center as early as Monday afternoon for the Trump campaign kickoff rally, which begins at 8 p.m. EST.

In an early-morning tweet Tuesday, the president complained that the so-called “Fake News” media does not focus enough on the support he and other Republicans have from voters.

He cited the crowd gathered outside the Orlando venue as evidence of his popularity.

“Republican enthusiasm is at an all time high,” Trump said. “Look what is going on in Orlando, Florida, right now! People have never seen anything like it (unless you play a guitar). Going to be wild.”

But the Orlando Sentinel said they and the people of Central Florida are tired of Trump and his supporters.

“The nation must endure another 1½ years of Trump. But it needn’t suffer another four beyond that,” it said. “We can do better. We have to do better.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/orlando-sentinel-announces-endorsement-for-whichever-democrat-takes-on-trump-in-2020/ar-AAD44lL?ocid=spartanntp
Kill the humourless

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54900 on: June 18, 2019, 08:55:40 pm »
That's fairly typical Republican. It's what Dubya did.

Yes, but so did Obama. He ran a campaign to decrease government and reduce the budget deficit and then did the opposite. It should be worse for a Republican.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54901 on: June 18, 2019, 09:54:55 pm »
Patrick Shanahan: Trump says his choice for Pentagon chief is out

US President Donald Trump has announced his choice for defence secretary has withdrawn, shaking up the Pentagon at a time of rising Middle East tensions.

He tweeted that Patrick Shanahan has pulled out of consideration "so that he can devote more time to his family".

Mr Shanahan, who will be replaced by Army Secretary Mark Esper, had not yet been nominated for the cabinet post.

It comes as Mr Shanahan publicly addressed allegations of domestic violence.

Mr Trump told reporters on Tuesday Mr Shanahan submitted his withdrawal this morning.

"I didn't ask him to withdraw, but he walked in this morning and said it was going to be a rough time for him," Mr Trump said, adding that he first heard of the "unfortunate" allegations on Monday.

Earlier on Tuesday, USA Today reported the FBI was investigating a 2010 incident in which Mr Shanahan and his ex-wife accused each other of assault.

Minutes after Mr Trump's announcement, the Washington Post published an interview with Mr Shanahan in which he discussed a 2011 incident when his son, then 17, reportedly beat his mother with a baseball bat, fracturing her skull.

In a statement announcing his resignation, Mr Shanahan called it "unfortunate that a painful and deeply personal family situation from long ago is being dredged up and painted in an incomplete and therefore misleading way".

He said he did not want his three children "to relive a traumatic chapter in our family's life and reopen wounds we have worked years to heal".

Mr Shanahan added: "I would welcome the opportunity to be secretary of defense, but not at the expense of being a good father."

On Monday, he told the Washington Post that he regretted a legal memo he penned shortly after the alleged attack on his ex-wife.

He wrote that the "use of a baseball bat in self-defence will likely be viewed as an imbalance of force" and that "Will's mother harassed him for nearly three hours before the incident".

Before joining the Trump White House, Mr Shanahan had worked as an executive at Boeing, the US aerospace company which holds many US defence department contracts.

He took over six months ago after the resignation of former Defence Secretary James Mattis.

Mr Shanahan's tenure saw the longest ever period that the US has been without a permanent secretary of defence.

Mark Esper, the current Army secretary, is due to take over in an acting capacity until a new Pentagon chief is nominated.

Mr Esper, a 56-year-old Harvard graduate and retired Army infantry officer who served during the US war with Iraq, has been Army secretary since 2017.

He also previously worked as the former vice president of government relations at Raytheon, one of the world's largest arms manufacturers.

The announcement comes amid renewed tensions between the US and Iran after Washington accused the Islamic republic of attacks last week on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.

Mr Shanahan on Monday announced the deployment of 1,000 US troops to the Middle East to counter "hostile behaviour" by Iranian forces.

He added that the US does "not seek conflict with Iran" and the action had been taken to "ensure the safety and welfare of our military personnel working throughout the region to protect our national interests".

Mr Trump on Tuesday said the US was "very well set" when it came to Iran, adding: "We'll see what happens."

Speaking on the senate floor earlier, Mr Schumer criticised the administration's lack of transparency on Iran, saying the White House "has an obligation to explain to the American people exactly what is happening and why" as US troops are once again sent to the Middle East.

"The president has yet to articulate a strategy about American involvement in the region," Mr Schumer said. "All we have heard is the secretary of state, our chief diplomat, rattling the sabres of war."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48665798

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54902 on: June 18, 2019, 10:13:36 pm »
Simply the best.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54903 on: June 18, 2019, 10:22:40 pm »
Racist old bastard is owning the libs.

Trump once again suggests the Central Park Five are guilty: ‘You have people on both sides of that’

During a brief Q&A with the press on Tuesday, President Donald Trump once again appeared to suggest that he still believes the Central Park Five are guilty.

“You have people on both sides of that,” he told reporters. “They admitted their guilt.”

Trump has repeatedly tried to worm his way out of condemning racism with this sort of language — most infamously when he said there were “very fine people on both sides” of a neo-Nazi demonstration in Charlottesville, Virginia.

In 1989, the group of five African-American teenagers were convicted of raping a jogger in Central Park, and spent six to 13 years in prison before a serial rapist confessed to the crime. Their confessions were ultimately found to have been coerced, and DNA evidence proved them innocent. At the time of their conviction, Trump took out full-page ads in The New York Times calling to “Bring back the death penalty,” and even years after they have been exonerated, Trump continues to doubt their innocence, and openly said so during the 2016 presidential election.

The case has been in the news following a Netflix dramatization, “When They See Us.” Linda Fairstein, the prosecutor who oversaw the case and whose role has been broadly criticized, recently resigned from Vassar College amid the renewed scrutiny.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1141079501633413120  (twatter video)

If there was justice in the world his plane would explode on the way to Florida.

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54904 on: June 18, 2019, 10:32:57 pm »
Yes, but so did Obama. He ran a campaign to decrease government and reduce the budget deficit and then did the opposite. It should be worse for a Republican.
Small matter of a global financial crisis the likes of which hasn't been seen since the 1930's between the campaign and his coming into office may have had something to do with that.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54905 on: June 18, 2019, 11:12:19 pm »

If there was justice in the world his plane would explode on the way to Florida.

Careful. The right wingers who bang on about free speech (so they can air their bigoted hateful views) suddenly dislike free speech when it comes to jokes about them.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54906 on: June 18, 2019, 11:32:43 pm »
Careful. The right wingers who bang on about free speech (so they can air their bigoted hateful views) suddenly dislike free speech when it comes to jokes about them.

Wasn't a joke,if sheer will was enough he would be dead already. :)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54907 on: June 18, 2019, 11:57:59 pm »
Wasn't a joke,if sheer will was enough he would be dead already. :)

That’s ok then. I think if you mean it, then it’s ok going by their warped logic.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54908 on: June 19, 2019, 12:14:50 am »
That’s ok then. I think if you mean it, then it’s ok going by their warped logic.

TRUMP !! TRUMP !! TRUMP !!

https://twitter.com/jeanguerre/status/1141098809063350274

He loves the poorly educated.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #54909 on: June 19, 2019, 12:20:00 am »
Small matter of a global financial crisis the likes of which hasn't been seen since the 1930's between the campaign and his coming into office may have had something to do with that.

Obliged.

Online jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54910 on: June 19, 2019, 12:34:16 am »
The New York Times
The Evangelical, the ‘Pool Boy,’ the Comedian and Michael Cohen
 Frances Robles and Jim Rutenberg 
1 hr ago

MIAMI BEACH — Senator Ted Cruz was running neck and neck with Donald J. Trump in Iowa just before the caucuses in 2016, but his campaign was expecting a last-minute boost from a powerful endorser, Jerry Falwell Jr.

Mr. Falwell was chancellor of one of the nation’s largest Christian colleges, Liberty University, and a son of the Rev. Jerry Falwell Sr., the televangelist and co-founder of the modern religious right.

Months earlier, Mr. Falwell had provided Liberty’s basketball arena for Mr. Cruz’s formal presidential announcement and required that the student body attend, giving the Texas Republican a guaranteed audience of thousands of cheering young religious conservatives.

With the caucuses now fast approaching, the senator’s father, Rafael Cruz, an evangelical pastor who had taken the lead in wooing Mr. Falwell, alerted the campaign that Mr. Falwell had pledged to endorse his son.

But when the time came for an announcement, Mr. Falwell rocked the Cruz campaign and grabbed the attention of the entire political world. He endorsed Mr. Trump instead, becoming one of the first major evangelical leaders to get behind the thrice-married, insult-hurling real estate mogul’s long-odds presidential bid.

Mr. Falwell — who is not a minister and spent years as a lawyer and real estate developer — said his endorsement was based on Mr. Trump’s business experience and leadership qualities. A person close to Mr. Falwell said he made his decision after “consultation with other individuals whose opinions he respects.” But a far more complicated narrative is emerging about the behind-the-scenes maneuvering in the months before that important endorsement.

That backstory, in true Trump-tabloid fashion, features the friendship between Mr. Falwell, his wife and a former pool attendant at the Fontainebleau hotel in Miami Beach; the family’s investment in a gay-friendly youth hostel; purported sexually revealing photographs involving the Falwells; and an attempted hush-money arrangement engineered by the president’s former fixer, Michael Cohen.

The revelations have arisen from a lawsuit filed against the Falwells in Florida; the investigation into Mr. Cohen by federal prosecutors in New York; and the gonzo-style tactics of the comedian and actor Tom Arnold.

Over the last two years, Mr. Arnold has fashioned himself an anti-Trump sleuth and crusader, working to dig up evidence of past malfeasance on television and in social media. In that role, Mr. Arnold befriended Mr. Cohen — who had lately become a vivid, if not entirely reliable, narrator of the Trump phenomenon — and then surreptitiously recorded him describing his effort to buy and bury embarrassing photographs involving the Falwells.

That attempt, Mr. Cohen says on the recording, came months before he brought Mr. Falwell “to the table” for Mr. Trump. Until then, he adds, “none of the evangelicals wanted to support Trump.”

There is no evidence that Mr. Falwell’s endorsement was part of a quid pro quo arranged by Mr. Cohen. Indeed, the relationship, if any, between the endorsement and the photo episode remains unclear. But the new details — some of which have been reported by news outlets including BuzzFeed and Reuters over the last year — show how deeply Mr. Falwell was enmeshed in Mr. Cohen’s and Mr. Trump’s world.

And they add another layer to one of the enduring curiosities of the Trump era: the support the president has received from evangelical Christians, who have traditionally demanded that their political leaders exhibit “family values” and moral “character.” Mr. Falwell’s father forged those words into weapons against the Democrats after he co-founded the Moral Majority political movement, which propelled Ronald Reagan into the White House and made religious conservatives a vital constituency for any Republican who would be president.

By the time Republicans cast their first votes in 2016, Mr. Trump was starting to show surprising strength among some white evangelicals. But with Mr. Falwell serving as the torchbearer of his father’s legacy, his endorsement became a permission slip for deeply religious conservatives who were attracted by Mr. Trump’s promises to make America great again but wary of his well-known history of infidelity, his previous support of abortion rights and his admission that he had never asked for God’s forgiveness.

“For those of the more fundamentalist variant of evangelicalism, the Falwell family, and the Falwell endorsements, are an important factor,” said Jim Guth, a political-science professor at Furman University who has long studied evangelical politics. Mr. Cruz still managed to win in Iowa. But Mr. Trump soon won South Carolina with strong evangelical support, sending him on a solid path toward the nomination.

Three years later, Mr. Falwell remains an unwavering Trump supporter. Last month he went so far as to suggest that the president deserved an extended term as “reparations” for time lost to the Mueller investigation. In turn, he has had entree to the White House, providing input on education policies that stand to benefit Liberty.

The Falwells declined to comment for this article. Mr. Falwell has said there were no compromising photographs, and the person close to them, who would speak only on the condition of anonymity, said the Falwells “did not know anything about Mr. Cohen’s alleged efforts” on their behalf. Mr. Falwell’s endorsement of Mr. Trump, the person said, was made after careful consideration. Mr. Cohen, he said, “did not try to exert any inappropriate pressure.”

Mr. Falwell began to grow close to Mr. Trump and Mr. Cohen after Mr. Trump came to speak at Liberty, in Lynchburg, Va, in 2012. Mr. Cohen, who was working to connect his boss with important political constituencies and their leaders for a possible presidential run four years later, came along for the trip.

Mr. Trump lacked the religious bona fides of those who typically filled the school’s speaker lineup. But he was the star of the top-rated “Apprentice” reality show, and Mr. Falwell admired his career in real estate.

As it happened, the Falwell family was exploring a real estate venture of its own.

Earlier that year, Mr. Falwell and his wife, Becki, had stayed at the Fontainebleau — the grande dame of the Miami Beach hotel scene and a somewhat unlikely vacation spot for the chancellor of a university whose student code prohibited short skirts, coed dorm visits and sex outside of “biblically ordained” marriage.

Once a glamorous hangout for John F. Kennedy, Frank Sinatra and Elvis, the Fontainebleau was now the stomping grounds of the Kardashians, Paris Hilton and Lady Gaga, known for allowing topless sunbathing and for a cavernous nightclub that one travel guide described as “30,000 square feet of unadulterated fun.” Techno music was pumped out at its 11 pools, where waitresses in polka-dot swimsuits served drinks and white-uniformed male attendants brought fresh towels and positioned umbrellas for tips.

The Falwells struck up a conversation with one of those pool attendants, Giancarlo Granda. Mr. Granda, then 21 and the son of immigrants from Cuba and Mexico, was working at the hotel while studying finance at Florida International University.

The Falwells, according to the person close to them, were impressed with Mr. Granda’s ambition. Soon he was hiking and water skiing with them in Virginia. Within months, they were offering to help him get started in business in Florida.

Unsure how to capitalize on the offer, Mr. Granda consulted a close high school friend, Jesus Fernandez Jr., whose father, Jesus Fernandez Sr., had worked in Miami real estate for decades, the Fernandezes would later assert. Together, they directed Mr. Granda to a South Beach youth hostel that was for sale. The building also housed a restaurant and a liquor store.

Mr. Cohen, a longtime fixer for Mr. Trump, described an effort to buy and bury embarrassing photos involving the Falwells.

Mr. Falwell and his wife agreed to help finance the purchase after a meeting in Florida with Mr. Granda, the real estate agents, the younger Mr. Fernandez and his father — who was facing a $34 million bankruptcy. Negotiations were underway when Mr. Trump visited Liberty, and the Falwells invited Mr. Granda to fly up for the occasion. A photo taken on a private plane, reviewed by The New York Times, shows him holding a copy of “Trump: The Art of the Deal.”

Mr. Falwell introduced Mr. Trump to Liberty’s students as “one of the greatest visionaries of our time,” who “single-handedly forced President Obama to release his birth certificate.” Mr. Trump shared his secrets to winning in business and life: “Get even” and “Always have a prenuptial agreement,” though he quickly added, “I won’t say it here, because you people don’t get divorced.”

Offstage, he posed for pictures with the Falwells and shook hands with their special guest, Mr. Granda.

No Politics or Religion

In 2013, the Falwells completed the deal for the Miami Hostel, which rents beds for as little as $15 a night, bunking 12 people to a room. The hostel became known as one of South Beach’s best budget party hostels and is sometimes listed as gay-friendly.

The Falwells’ involvement came to light in a 2017 Politico article by Brandon Ambrosino, a Liberty graduate. He reported that the hostel featured a sign on its front gate declaring its house rules: “No Soliciting, Fundraising, Politics, Salesmen, Religion.”

“Inside the Falwells’ hostel, the stench of general decay and cigarette smoke is overpowering,” Mr. Ambrosino wrote. Tourism pamphlets included one for Tootsie’s Cabaret, “74,000 square feet of adult entertainment and FULL NUDITY.”

On a recent overnight visit, the sign forbidding politics and religion was gone, and there were no visible fliers for adult clubs. The hostel was tidy and relatively quiet — common for this time of year, Miami’s off-season. A warning was posted that the hostel was not responsible for accidents on the premises, “especially if you are drunk.”

Real estate records show that an LLC called Alton Hostel Inc. bought the hostel and its building for $4.7 million in cash. Within weeks, Alton Hostel secured a $3.8 million mortgage from Carter Bank & Trust, the Virginia-based bank the Falwells had long used to finance and expand Liberty University. The source of Alton Hostel’s initial full-cash payment is not known. But Mr. Falwell would later say in a sworn affidavit that his family’s financial contribution to the deal amounted to a loan of $1.8 million, including $800,000 for renovations. The Falwells’ son Jerry Falwell III, who goes by “Trey” and was 23 at the time, was listed as manager of the LLC; Mr. Granda was added later as a co-manager. In his affidavit, Mr. Falwell said his wife was also a member of the LLC.

The comedian and actor Tom Arnold, left, secretly recorded Mr. Cohen describing his plan to help the Falwells by paying off someone who claimed to have compromising photos.

Around South Beach, people involved in the deal regarded it as the sort of thing Miami’s young and good-looking could luck into when they encountered wealthy visitors.

“Miami is a very touristy place,” one of the brokers, Roberto Bracho, said in an interview. “If you are in the right place at the right time, you can hit the jackpot.”

The situation quickly deteriorated. The Fernandezes believed that they had been promised an ownership share. The Falwells denied making any such promise, and in his affidavit, Mr. Falwell sought to minimize his involvement, saying that, as an adviser on the deal, he could not have given them a stake.

The Fernandezes threatened a lawsuit.

Rigging Polls, Fixing Problems

Mr. Cohen had kept in close touch with the Falwells after Mr. Trump’s 2012 visit. He would later say he viewed them as family.

Mr. Cohen even turned to a Falwell lieutenant — Liberty’s deputy chief information officer at the time, John Gauger — as he worked to build Mr. Trump’s political profile. Mr. Gauger also ran his own consulting firm, RedFinch Solutions.

Mr. Cohen hired RedFinch to manipulate two online polls in Mr. Trump’s favor — one in 2014 by CNBC, and another in early 2015 in the Drudge Report — Mr. Gauger told The Wall Street Journal in January.

At around the same time, Mr. Cohen and Mr. Trump were arranging with The National Enquirer and its chief, the Trump ally David Pecker, to buy and bury stories about Mr. Trump and women that could harm his political prospects. Mr. Cohen’s confessed role in two such deals — one with The Enquirer to silence the former Playboy model Karen McDougal, the other with the pornographic actress Stormy Daniels, whom he initially paid out of his own pocket — contributed to the three-year sentence he is now serving at the federal prison in Otisville, N.Y.

Speaking to Liberty students in 2012, Mr. Trump shared two pieces of advice he said he often gave: “Get even,” and “Always have a prenuptial agreement.”

By Mr. Cohen’s account, the Falwells appeared to be in need of just that sort of help.

By late 2015, the lawsuit over ownership of the hostel had devolved into a fight over compromising photos, according to several people involved in the case. It was understood that between Mr. Granda, the Fernandezes and their lawyers, one or more people were in possession of photographs that could be used as leverage against the Falwells.

And so Mr. Cohen tried to play the fixer for his friends.

In a recent legal filing, Mr. Fernandez Jr. said he was forced to change his name because of the case. He became Gordon Bello. His father, Mr. Fernandez, Sr., became Jett Bello. Their name changes took place after Mr. Cohen intervened.

Mr. Cohen described his involvement in his conversation with Mr. Arnold, which was first reported last month by Reuters.

“There’s a bunch of photographs, personal photographs, that somehow the guy ended up getting — whether it was off of Jerry’s phone or somehow maybe it got AirDropped or whatever the hell the whole thing was,” Mr. Cohen told Mr. Arnold in the recording, which Mr. Arnold shared with The Times. Mr. Cohen never identified “the guy.”

“These are photos between husband and wife,” Mr. Cohen added, joking that “the evangelicals are kinkier than Tom Arnold.” He explained, “I was going to pay him, and I was going to get the negatives and do an agreement where they turn over all the technology that has the photographs or anything like that, any copies.”

But the payoff “never happened,” he said, “and the guy just either deleted them on his own or what have you.”

The person close to the Falwells said that Mr. Cohen was neither their lawyer nor their fixer, and that they had not been aware of “his alleged actions regarding photographs” until parts of the recording were released.

Senator Ted Cruz announced his presidential run at Liberty University in 2015. His campaign was anticipating an endorsement from Mr. Falwell when the evangelical leader instead threw his support behind Mr. Trump.

Mr. Cohen, who declined interview requests, told Mr. Arnold that he had been trying to protect Mrs. Falwell. “Even though she has a very nice figure,” he said on the recording, “nobody wants their private photos published.” In the process, he said, he had obtained one of the photos, of Mrs. Falwell, and still had it.

Evangelicals for Trump

With a few weeks to go before the Iowa caucuses kicked off the primary season on Feb. 1, 2016, Mr. Cruz was steadily racking up high-level endorsements. He was banking on strong evangelical support to push him past Mr. Trump in the state.

In mid-January, Mr. Cruz’s father reported back to his staff that Mr. Falwell had committed to endorsing his son, according to two people involved in the campaign at the time. A news release was prepared, they said, while aides began vetting Mr. Falwell’s background, as is standard for presidential endorsers.

Signs that something was amiss came shortly afterward, when Mr. Trump arrived at Liberty for another speech. Mr. Falwell introduced Mr. Trump as a man who “lives a life of loving and helping others as Jesus taught.” Despite the generous introduction, the appearance seemed an unmitigated disaster for Mr. Trump. He betrayed his ignorance of the Bible by referring to a passage in “Two Corinthians” rather than “Second Corinthians,” and loosely used the words “hell” and “damn.” Even so, rumors began to spread that Mr. Falwell was leaning toward Mr. Trump.

Rick Tyler, a senior Cruz adviser, called Mr. Falwell to say that if there was ever a good time to make his support official, this was it. That was when Mr. Falwell told him he had learned that he could not make any endorsement in the primaries. “He said his board wouldn’t allow him to endorse,” Mr. Tyler said in an interview.

Around that time, Mr. Falwell was coming under heavy pressure to get behind Mr. Trump, according to someone who spoke to Mr. Falwell then. A few days later, Mr. Falwell announced his endorsement of Mr. Trump, calling him “a successful executive and entrepreneur, a wonderful father and a man who I believe can lead our country to greatness again.”

In an email, the person close to the Falwells said the Liberty chancellor had “never seriously considered endorsing Mr. Cruz,” and did not know how the campaign had gotten that impression. What’s more, he said, Mr. Cohen “did nothing more than ask” Mr. Falwell to endorse Mr. Trump.

Though Mr. Falwell said he was making the endorsement as a private individual, not as the head of the university, the decision roiled the Liberty community. Some graduates and students expressed stunned disappointment. One of Liberty’s trustees, Mark DeMoss — an alumnus and a longtime confidant of Mr. Falwell’s father — told The Washington Post that Mr. Trump did not exhibit “Christ-like behavior that Liberty has spent 40 years promoting with its students.” (After clashing with Mr. Falwell and other board members, he resigned, he said in a statement at the time.)

At the Cruz campaign headquarters, the reaction was “anger and shock,” Mr. Tyler said. “Something changed, obviously.”

An Adviser and Defender

The relationship between Mr. Falwell and Mr. Trump would prove mutually beneficial.

Mr. Trump sought to make Mr. Falwell his secretary of education, Mr. Falwell has said. After he declined, he disclosed that he would serve as an outside adviser to the administration on education policy — a role in which, Mr. Falwell indicated, he would call for rollbacks of regulations governing accreditation, recruitment and student borrowing. (“A lot of what we sent them is actually what got implemented,” he told The New York Times Magazine last year.)

Mr. Falwell, in turn, has remained one of the president’s most vocal defenders, even in the rare moments when other Republicans wouldn’t, as in August 2017, when Mr. Trump said there had been “very fine people on both sides” of the violent white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Va., that resulted in the murder of a young counterdemonstrator.

That month, with settlement talks involving the hostel at an impasse, the Fernandezes, now the Bellos, filed a written complaint. The complaint, first reported by BuzzFeed News several months after it was filed, asserted that “verbal offers were made to Granda to provide him with financial assistance.” Mr. Falwell, the complaint read, “indicated that he wanted to help Granda establish a new career and build a business” as the Falwells’ relationship with Mr. Granda “evolved.”

In his sworn affidavit, Mr. Falwell said the family had made Mr. Granda a co-manager of the LLC in return for serving as its local representative. Mr. Falwell saw the hostel as a good opportunity to introduce his son and Mr. Granda to real estate investing, according to the person close to the family. Mr. Granda, he said, received only a “modest income,” and a financial stake that was of limited value because of the property’s heavy debt.

The Comedian Gets His Tape

Mr. Arnold’s anti-Trump antics have largely consisted of his public search for more recordings like the “Access Hollywood” outtake in which Mr. Trump boasted about grabbing women’s genitalia. Last year, Mr. Arnold even got his own television show on the Viceland network, “The Hunt for The Trump Tapes.” It produced no new tapes during its eight-episode run.

But it did help lead to the recording of Mr. Cohen discussing the Falwells.

Mr. Arnold first met Mr. Cohen last June at the Loews Regency hotel in Manhattan, as Mr. Arnold was taping his show. Their meeting didn’t result in a Cohen appearance on the program, but Mr. Cohen agreed to a photo with Mr. Arnold, which went viral on Twitter, and the two stayed in touch.

Early this year, after noticing the articles in The Journal and BuzzFeed about Liberty, Mr. Cohen and the Fernandez suit, Mr. Arnold began suggesting on Twitter, without presenting any evidence, that the Falwells had been in a sexual relationship with Mr. Granda. Those tweets led Mr. Cohen to call Mr. Arnold and deny any such relationship. He then described his efforts to help with the photos.

That conversation, two months before Mr. Cohen went to prison, left more questions than answers. Mr. Cohen has publicly said nothing more. No photos have surfaced, and it is unclear how many there are. In all, three people said they had seen at least one photo, though their descriptions varied and could not be verified.

Nor is it certain whom Mr. Cohen hoped to pay off. He never mentions the Bellos — formerly the Fernandezes — or their lawsuit on the tape, but makes reference to the “pool boy,” leaving open the possibility that the photos came from Mr. Granda, and that Mr. Granda then shared them with the Bellos. Then again, “the guy” to whom Mr. Cohen refers could be some other person entirely.

Mr. Granda, now working toward a graduate degree in real estate at Georgetown University, referred questions to his lawyer. The lawyer, Aaron Resnick, said his client had never interacted with Mr. Cohen, whom he called “a convicted felon and admitted liar.” He said any suggestion that Mr. Granda was the person referred to on the tape would be false, and he bristled at what he called “tabloid fodder” directed at a first-generation Hispanic-American.

In a statement to The Times, the senior Bello said he and his son had been respectful to the Falwells, “despite the sensitive details surrounding this case.” It was Mr. Cohen — acting as their lawyer, he said — who had revealed “his client’s indiscretions.” He said the pending lawsuit prohibited him from offering more details about the photographs or why he and his son had felt compelled to change their names.

Mr. Falwell has granted only one interview about the Arnold recording, to Todd Starnes of Fox News Radio, telling him there were “no compromising or embarrassing photos,” and saying, “We never engaged or paid Cohen to represent us in any legal or other professional capacity.”

The new details about the lead-up to his endorsement of Mr. Trump have not affected Mr. Falwell’s continued enthusiastic support. Earlier this month, Mr. Falwell chastised a pastor who was embroiled in a controversy over his decision to pray for Mr. Trump during the president’s surprise visit to his church in the Washington suburbs.

Suggesting that the pastor was being too accommodating of critics, Mr. Falwell directed a tweet at him reading, “Grow a pair,” a crude reference to the pastor’s masculinity. After the post drew criticism on Twitter as being beneath a religious leader, Mr. Falwell responded that he did not need to adhere to strict religious standards.

“I have never been a minister,” he tweeted, saying that it was up to the students and faculty of Liberty to keep the school “strong spiritually.’’ He added, “While I am proud to be a conservative Christian, my job is to keep LU successful academically, financially and in athletics.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-evangelical-the-pool-boy-the-comedian-and-michael-cohen/ar-AAD4IoU?ocid=spartanntp
Kill the humourless

Online jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54911 on: June 19, 2019, 12:53:34 am »
Kill the humourless

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54912 on: June 19, 2019, 04:48:14 am »
Ugh, they're showing his official campaign opening rally on the 24hr news channel at work. He really is a tiresome old gasbag.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54913 on: June 19, 2019, 06:48:11 am »
Ugh, they're showing his official campaign opening rally on the 24hr news channel at work. He really is a tiresome old gasbag.

I wonder how much actual resonance or shock these things hold anymore for pundits? They must be yawning...

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54914 on: June 19, 2019, 06:49:20 am »

That's old news isn't it? Has something else happened about the cabana boy boyfriend?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54915 on: June 19, 2019, 08:08:38 am »
If by some miracle Trump doesnt get voted in again, at least he knows he will never be bankrupt again. He can make a living out of these huge stadium events he runs.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #54916 on: June 19, 2019, 08:14:07 am »
So, it's not MAGA anymore it's KAG. Should have found a way to replace the A with an E in honour of Brett Kavanaugh.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #54917 on: June 19, 2019, 08:26:44 am »

“When They See Us.” Linda Fairstein, the prosecutor who oversaw the case and whose role has been broadly criticized, recently resigned from Vassar College amid the renewed scrutiny."

She used her experience in writing poor crime fiction to become, ugh, a writer of poor crime fiction.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/f/linda-fairstein/
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54918 on: June 19, 2019, 06:01:23 pm »
Just leave this here

McConnell: "I don't think reparations for something that happened 150 yrs ago for whom none of us currently living are responsible is a good idea. We've tried to deal with our original sin of slavery by fighting a civil war ...We've elected an African American president."
Via ABC

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54919 on: June 19, 2019, 06:43:05 pm »