Author Topic: Fernando Torres  (Read 587063 times)

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
Re: Fernando Torres
« Reply #7280 on: May 21, 2018, 09:07:39 pm »
I'm glad he got to go back to Atletico, it all looked pretty bleak when he was at Milan. Nice send off for him.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7281 on: May 21, 2018, 09:53:09 pm »

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7282 on: May 22, 2018, 09:08:20 am »
Can’t help but not judge a guy that wanted to leave a team managed by Roy hodgson and owned by Tom Hicks and George Gillett as he wanted to win trophies

Where is he heading next, the mls?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #7283 on: May 23, 2018, 03:06:16 pm »
Can’t help but not judge a guy that wanted to leave a team managed by Roy hodgson and owned by Tom Hicks and George Gillett as he wanted to win trophies

Where is he heading next, the mls?

Rafa wants him at Newcastle.
:D

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7284 on: July 10, 2018, 09:33:04 am »
Fernando's turning Japanese.

Fernando Torres has announced he will join Sagan Tosu in Japan's J League.

"Sagan Tosu were one of the first clubs to show interest in me, and I appreciate their insistence and how they convinced me with their sporting, personal and cultural project," he told a news conference.

Torres, 34, called time on his career with Atletico Madrid at the end of last season and had been linked with a move to Sydney FC and Chicago Fire.

The former Liverpool, Atletico Madrid and Chelsea striker revealed on Twitter on Monday that he would make his announcement in conjunction with the release of a new book about his life on Tuesday morning.

The former Spain international, who was part of the country's 2010 World Cup and Euro 2008 and 2012 winning squads, has scored 38 goals in 110 appearances for La Roja and netted 82 and 65 times, respectively, during his stints with Atleti and Liverpool.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3561216/fernando-torres-to-join-japanese-j-league-side-sagan-tosu
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #7285 on: July 10, 2018, 11:02:51 am »
Good luck. A little part of sentimental me would have like to see Torres playing for us even for 1 match. The way he left really impacted myself. I know players leave clubs all the time but I seriously felt hurt that day. Especially when Andy was the replacement. Suarez and Torres, what might have been? For sure we wont still be on 18 league title.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #7286 on: July 10, 2018, 11:09:32 am »
He supported them as a lad apparently.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7287 on: July 10, 2018, 11:37:56 am »

Used to pick them all the time on his Sega Megadrive.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7288 on: July 10, 2018, 12:08:35 pm »

His armband said he was 原文]篭毛與 美篭母乳 布久思毛與

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7289 on: July 10, 2018, 12:12:37 pm »
Good luck to him. Do they pay much more salary than MLS clubs or Chinese teams?

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #7290 on: July 11, 2018, 01:43:27 am »

;D

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7291 on: July 11, 2018, 02:26:01 am »
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #7292 on: July 11, 2018, 03:22:11 pm »

;D

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #7293 on: July 12, 2018, 08:09:41 am »
Bless him. Must be skint.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7294 on: July 12, 2018, 04:50:39 pm »
Bless him. Must be skint.

We should all be so skint
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7295 on: July 17, 2018, 10:44:28 am »
I do not understand  why players have the need to play one or two years in Aisa before retiring. They should have more than enough money to live a very comfortable life and have their kids and grandchildren sorted. It’s not FIFA19, they have to move halfway across the glitches with their wife and kids. Then again, football is all they know and maybe they’re afraid of retirement.

Good luck to him. Will never forget the 08/09 season where he and Stevie almost handed us the title. That 1-4 win at Old Trafford was amazing to watch.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7296 on: July 17, 2018, 10:46:35 am »
I do not understand  why players have the need to play one or two years in Aisa before retiring. They should have more than enough money to live a very comfortable life and have their kids and grandchildren sorted. It’s not FIFA19, they have to move halfway across the glitches with their wife and kids. Then again, football is all they know and maybe they’re afraid of retirement.

Good luck to him. Will never forget the 08/09 season where he and Stevie almost handed us the title. That 1-4 win at Old Trafford was amazing to watch.

Maybe he wants to experience a different culture? Plus he's only 34, he's got a hell of a lot of years left ahead of him yet, so eeking out another few years doing what he loves for a living must be incredibly alluring.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7297 on: July 17, 2018, 10:51:09 am »
That’s a good point and I completely agree. I’ve been lurking here for years and you always make good posts across this forum. Thumbs up.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7298 on: July 17, 2018, 10:56:45 am »
That’s a good point and I completely agree. I’ve been lurking here for years and you always make good posts across this forum. Thumbs up.

Thanks! Plenty would disagree  ;D ;D

I must admit on the face of it Japan seems a strange choice, because it's a very big culture change (everything from the language, to the food and even the general way they live is quite different to what he'll be used to) but I guess that also makes it tempting to experience too.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7299 on: July 17, 2018, 01:16:40 pm »

I’d probably do the same in his position. Year in China, year in USA and finish of playing in the Australian a league during the winter here for Extra sun. Love it .

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7300 on: July 18, 2018, 06:23:09 am »
Would be pretty cool living in Japan for a bit. Can't blame him for going over there really. Be interesting to see how he gets on over there, so often these big name players go to leagues far below them and just don't perform. I hope he scores a lot and ends his career on a high.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #7301 on: July 19, 2018, 04:15:18 am »

Usually that part in bold, plus a chance to experience new places etc.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #7302 on: July 19, 2018, 04:16:46 am »
Would be pretty cool living in Japan for a bit. Can't blame him for going over there really. Be interesting to see how he gets on over there, so often these big name players go to leagues far below them and just don't perform. I hope he scores a lot and ends his career on a high.

Possibly about choosing the wrong league too - like Gerrard, on his last legs, chose the very physical etc MLS (and after first 4-5 games where he was lording it as an attacking midfielder/split striker, got moved back into a defensive midfield role).

Gerrard in a quick league = split striker
I'd be keen to see Gerrard in a slower league (Spain/Italy) as the trequartista.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #7303 on: August 3, 2018, 02:26:58 pm »
I say fair play to him for trying out such a move, where it’s bound to be a culture shock. The Japanese love their European sporting icons too, and one strong season there would be financially very lucrative for him.

I’d echo what many in here have said. These guys have been footballers for as long as they can remember and their entire existence has been geared towards being a footballer and playing football. Retirement must be a daunting prospect to go from the intensity of the professional game to potentially nothing. It’s why you see so many ill-suited personalities linger around the game post-playing career, for long after their usefulness has expired.

I wish Nando good luck, one of my first sporting heroes and as bitter as his departure was, now that I don’t look at it through a 15 year old’s red-tinted eyes anymore, I can understand it. Even if he doesn’t light up the league, which I doubt he will, hopefully he has a rich experience there. It’s a fascinating country and unique culture.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7304 on: September 24, 2018, 03:15:22 pm »
He's struggling in Japan. 1goal in 11games.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7305 on: September 24, 2018, 03:23:31 pm »
He's struggling in Japan. 1goal in 11games.
thats the worst of being a striker with pace and or acceleration being your biggest attributes, when they get older and they cant rely on it anymore the goals will dry up
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7306 on: September 30, 2018, 04:23:57 pm »
He had special powers at Liverpool and nowhere else. Period.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #7307 on: September 30, 2018, 06:10:26 pm »
Injuries killed him. Honestly at 22 - even before he signed for us - he was every bit as good an athlete as Ronaldo.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #7308 on: November 13, 2018, 06:40:18 am »

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7309 on: November 13, 2018, 10:35:41 am »

Sometimes.  I glance glumly at his stats for 08/09 - 14 goals in 24 games. If there was ever a season where injuries robbed us of a title, it was that one.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7310 on: November 13, 2018, 10:40:11 am »
Sometimes.  I glance glumly at his stats for 08/09 - 14 goals in 24 games. If there was ever a season where injuries robbed us of a title, it was that one.
no real cover there either given Robbie Keane was only there half a season and David Ngog wasnt up to much

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7311 on: November 13, 2018, 10:50:45 am »

Him and Gerrard only started about 15 games together I think and we still got 86 points. Imagine if we’d had them starting 30.

Thanks for not cheering me up at all!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7312 on: November 13, 2018, 11:28:04 am »
Him and Gerrard only started about 15 games together I think and we still got 86 points. Imagine if we’d had them starting 30.

the real big matches too we won without one or both

United at home Gerrard only played 20-25 mins or something

Arsenal away no Torres, Arsenal home, No gerrard

torres didnt play in the win at Chelsea either

not so much annoying that we didnt win the league but we had some team and all we needed was a couple of signings and we had those two dicks in charge

rant over

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7313 on: November 13, 2018, 11:45:01 am »
the real big matches too we won without one or both

United at home Gerrard only played 20-25 mins or something

Arsenal away no Torres, Arsenal home, No gerrard

torres didnt play in the win at Chelsea either

not so much annoying that we didnt win the league but we had some team and all we needed was a couple of signings and we had those two dicks in charge

rant over

Not having that. Was one of our very best squads ever, you can talk about new signings for any team and they would have finished higher. I still look at that team and shake my head it didn’t win the league. Cruel. It was Rafa’s masterpiece on a budget  - it hits the points tally it should have and it goes down as one of the best teams in the Premier League history, and one of ours. I’m almost welling up typing this!

Fact is, Nando stays fit and we hit 90 points that season and we’re still drunk now. Selling Keane was a mistake, he was on 1 in 4 and was a better option than N’Gog by a million miles. Can’t believe that decision - I’m making myself livid here.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:54:15 am by JamesG L4 »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7314 on: November 13, 2018, 11:45:43 am »

Genuinely need therapy over that season!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7315 on: November 13, 2018, 11:56:01 am »
Not having that. Was one of our very best squads ever, you can talk about new signings for any team and they would have finished higher. I still look at that team and shake my head it didn’t win the league. Cruel. It was Rafa’s masterpiece on a budget  - it hits the points tally it should have and it goes down as one of the best teams in the Premier League history, and one of ours. I’m almost welling up typing this!

Fact is, Nando stays fit and we hit 90 points that season and we’re still drunk now. Selling Keane was a mistake, he was on 1 in 4 and was a better option than N’Gog by a million miles.
my point in needing one or two signings though was there wasnt really much cover  (if any) for torres, especially with Keane being sold. another striker there to take the load would have helped.

but that summer we had a hell of a team in place and them two fuckers wrecked it. it didnt much investment, but they asset stripped it

in other seasons that team would have walked the league im sure

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7316 on: November 13, 2018, 12:01:23 pm »
my point in needing one or two signings though was there wasnt really much cover  (if any) for torres, especially with Keane being sold. another striker there to take the load would have helped.

but that summer we had a hell of a team in place and them two fuckers wrecked it. it didnt much investment, but they asset stripped it

in other seasons that team would have walked the league im sure

Yes. Selling Keane was a mistake but not replacing him criminal. N’gog got 2 league goals in 14 games, was young and raw and ultimately nowhere near good enough.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7317 on: November 13, 2018, 12:04:38 pm »
Yes. Selling Keane was a mistake but not replacing him criminal. N’gog got 2 league goals in 14 games, was young and raw and ultimately nowhere near good enough.
Ngog wasnt the worst but far from the best, i would rather him than Voronin

even with Keane there we only had him, torres and ngog. Thats about the bare minimum and as you say to sell one and not replace them was criminal

Say what you want about Keanes time here but if its down to him or Ngog to come in i know who i would rather have

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7318 on: November 13, 2018, 12:10:04 pm »
Ngog wasnt the worst but far from the best, i would rather him than Voronin

even with Keane there we only had him, torres and ngog. Thats about the bare minimum and as you say to sell one and not replace them was criminal

Say what you want about Keanes time here but if its down to him or Ngog to come in i know who i would rather have

It’s times like this I see why people try meth. 08/09, if analysed too much it’s a dark road. The forward options we’ve had since then, any of those and we bestride the league like a bronzed Adonis with Rafa on top like a God.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7319 on: November 13, 2018, 12:17:06 pm »
It’s times like this I see why people try meth. 08/09, if analysed too much it’s a dark road. The forward options we’ve had since then, any of those and we bestride the league like a bronzed Adonis with Rafa on top like a God.
There were some good times

annoys when people say we played poor football under Rafa, we didnt. i always got the impression that whoever we beat and whenever we won it was always because "real madrid were shit, united were shit" was never because we made them shit or because maybe JUST MAYBE we were better

lazy too when people blame the rafa rant for costing us, within weeks united whittled down a decent lead we had over them, granted but a lot of that was because they had games in hand

remarkable to lose only two games and not win the league