Author Topic: Fernando Torres  (Read 588001 times)

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Fernando Torres
« Reply #7240 on: May 6, 2018, 04:12:41 pm »
I hope he doesn't choose money, I'd like to see him team up with Stevie at Rangers  ;)

Lad will be a multi-millionaire already so why not :) One season could be fun for them

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7241 on: May 7, 2018, 08:38:41 am »
He won nothing with us, so he will be forgotten in years to come. Like many of the 90s squad and the mid to late 00's. One of them though.

Torres forgoten? very unlikely... he is world cup winner, euro winner, cl winner, he had his best ever season for us in terms of goals and football played... he was at that time best striker in the world imo. He will be remembered as one of the best strikers to play in PL. Sadly he could have been a legend if he joined a Klopp team in his 24 years of age... imagine that.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #7242 on: May 7, 2018, 05:15:09 pm »
I don't understand the animosity towards Torres.  He was a great striker who played in his best years for us.  Vidic can attest to that.

Never said a bad word about the club.

He was only sold to Chelsea because they were willing to pay a ridiculous sum for him when he was already in decline, which we blew on Andy Carroll, neither of which was his fault.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7243 on: May 7, 2018, 05:19:31 pm »
I don't understand the animosity towards Torres.  He was a great striker who played in his best years for us.  Vidic can attest to that.

He was only sold to Chelsea because they were willing to pay a ridiculous sum for him when he was already in decline, which we blew on Andy Carroll, neither of which was his fault.

That's not how I remember it, although I don't bear him any ill will.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7244 on: May 7, 2018, 07:44:35 pm »
Think his comments about 'finally joining a big club' when he joined Chelsea got plenty riled up.

Anyway, that's long done, he's always given the impression of being one of the nicest guys to play for us, the most graceful I've seen. I suppose the generation coming after this won't have strong thoughts about him but for us who were there, it's hard to forget someoen who combined skill and grace the way he did, arguably the best striker in the world for around 2 seasons.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #7245 on: May 8, 2018, 04:30:05 am »
Think his comments about 'finally joining a big club' when he joined Chelsea got plenty riled up.

Anyway, that's long done, he's always given the impression of being one of the nicest guys to play for us, the most graceful I've seen. I suppose the generation coming after this won't have strong thoughts about him but for us who were there, it's hard to forget someoen who combined skill and grace the way he did, arguably the best striker in the world for around 2 seasons.

Actually since the Abramovich (spelling?) days Chelsea has been the bigger club in terms of trophies etc. I guess he meant that. It was more Chelsea journalist asking him that stupid question so as to make them self relevant in World Football.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2018, 04:35:37 am by Advil »
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7246 on: May 10, 2018, 01:47:53 am »

And he was sold because he put a transfer request in three days before the window shut...

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7247 on: May 10, 2018, 10:22:47 am »

left us to join a rival, think he said he wanted to join a bigger club

i honestly have never been so upset at a player leaving Liverpool. As andspecks said the transfer request didnt help

but all in the past, he did a lot of good things for Liverpool and we made a lot of money from him.

I seriously couldnt wait to see him alongside Suarez with us but it never happened, not quite sure whether the club ever intended to pair them anyway
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #7248 on: May 10, 2018, 04:17:19 pm »
I don't understand the animosity towards Torres.

Personally I don't understand the goodwill towards him now, in contrast to the hatred Michael Owen still gets as an example. Torres directly left for a rival; Owen joined one having realised he was never going to get his return here having been gone for four years.

Sure, Owen joined a bigger rival, but aside from annoying a few blue Mancs he did fuck all there anyway, whereas seeing Torres lift Big Ears and do as many interviews as he possibly could telling us that's why he joined them (that's right, Torres won fuck all for us, whereas Owen did), before coming on & stomping all over our title hopes in 13/14 with that assist for Willian was galling.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:21:31 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7249 on: May 10, 2018, 05:11:28 pm »
Personally I don't understand the goodwill towards him now, in contrast to the hatred Michael Owen still gets as an example. Torres directly left for a rival; Owen joined one having realised he was never going to get his return here having been gone for four years.

Sure, Owen joined a bigger rival, but aside from annoying a few blue Mancs he did fuck all there anyway, whereas seeing Torres lift Big Ears and do as many interviews as he possibly could telling us that's why he joined them (that's right, Torres won fuck all for us, whereas Owen did), before coming on & stomping all over our title hopes in 13/14 with that assist for Willian was galling.

1. Owen was homegrown, came through the ranks and showed us fuck all loyalty. Ran his contract down to the point where we had to accept fuck all plus Nunez for him. Had the chance to come back a year later, and went to Newcastle instead. Then joined United. And since he retired has generally been a fucking prick, fairly regularly slagging the club off and doing stupid shit which does the opposite of endearing him to Liverpool fans. He'd had years of success with us and a cracking new manager had just arrived right before he left.

2. Torres wasn't homegrown, he owed us fuck all. We dragged a huge amount of money out for him considering he was shot. He's been massively complimentary since he left Chelsea, made it a lot clearer why he left. And yeah he wont fuck all with us, exactly. We were practically in a relegation fight for much of that season.

This is exactly why Torres gets more goodwill, because he seems to 'get' the club a lot more than someone who was at the club since he was like 9 years old.

Owens a fucking prick, basically
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7250 on: May 10, 2018, 05:15:50 pm »
1. Owen was homegrown, came through the ranks and showed us fuck all loyalty. Ran his contract down to the point where we had to accept fuck all plus Nunez for him. Had the chance to come back a year later, and went to Newcastle instead. Then joined United. And since he retired has generally been a fucking prick, fairly regularly slagging the club off and doing stupid shit which does the opposite of endearing him to Liverpool fans. He'd had years of success with us and a cracking new manager had just arrived right before he left.

2. Torres wasn't homegrown, he owed us fuck all. We dragged a huge amount of money out for him considering he was shot. He's been massively complimentary since he left Chelsea, made it a lot clearer why he left. And yeah he wont fuck all with us, exactly. We were practically in a relegation fight for much of that season.

This is exactly why Torres gets more goodwill, because he seems to 'get' the club a lot more than someone who was at the club since he was like 9 years old.

Basically. For me its just the impression of the two men that I get. Owen's always came across as a c*nt whereas Torres seems alright.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 05:18:08 pm by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7251 on: May 10, 2018, 08:34:50 pm »

pretty much my thoughts, to be honest replacing him with Suarez also helps get over him

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7252 on: May 10, 2018, 09:13:53 pm »

He didn't. He wanted to come back, but we wouldn't stump up the money required:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dUMu0Zud5U

When has Owen 'slagged' the club off? He's made some facepalm comments, but that seems an exaggeration?

Basically. For me its just the impression of the two men that I get. Owen's always came across as a c*nt whereas Torres seems alright.

That's pure perception and just adds to my point. Owen is held to a higher standard because he's English.

I don't hate either, certainly don't adore either like I did when they were here, just think the difference in perception is staggering. Torres has basically lick-arsed his way back into many Liverpool fans' hearts, but actions speak louder than words, and he really couldn't wait to get out of here. El Lobo says we just had a great new manager come in for him before Owen left, and that's fine, but we'd also just had new owners and Kenny Dalglish return before Torres left. He also left for Chelsea, rather than Real Madrid, a much more appetising proposition and not a rival. The money we got for Torres is neither here nor there.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:17:22 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #7253 on: May 10, 2018, 10:16:48 pm »
Neither Owen or Torres owed us and we didn’t owe them either.

Both gave us good memories and it wasn’t as if they took their salary while going on strike. I thought both gave their best playing for us and had their best years given to our clubs.

Owen single handedly won us the FA Cup. Torres especially gave us some truly amazing days in football. I will not forget how he burned Tal Ben Haim for pace to score his first goal against Chelsea.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #7254 on: May 11, 2018, 07:38:38 am »
Neither Owen or Torres owed us and we didn’t owe them either.

Both gave us good memories and it wasn’t as if they took their salary while going on strike. I thought both gave their best playing for us and had their best years given to our clubs.

Owen single handedly won us the FA Cup. Torres especially gave us some truly amazing days in football. I will not forget how he burned Tal Ben Haim for pace to score his first goal against Chelsea.
Is the correct answer.

Hatred is a hot coal that you carry around. Problem is youre the only one that it burns.

I'm happy to remember the good times from both these great players and move on. We have Salah, Mane and Firmino FFS. [emoji4]

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7255 on: May 11, 2018, 09:47:55 am »

what a stupid point! was he supposed to stick it wide to make us all feel better?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7256 on: May 11, 2018, 10:20:10 am »
what a stupid point! was he supposed to stick it wide to make us all feel better?

What a stupid question!

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7257 on: May 11, 2018, 10:35:15 am »
What a stupid question!
well then tell me what was he meant to do

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7258 on: May 11, 2018, 10:41:34 am »
well then tell me what was he meant to do

Not join Chelsea in the first place ;D

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7259 on: May 11, 2018, 10:53:11 am »
Not join Chelsea in the first place ;D
:lmao

we'll leave it there so

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7260 on: May 11, 2018, 09:27:16 pm »
He had a great song.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7261 on: May 13, 2018, 12:35:10 am »

I cursed him & played Stairway to heaven backwards when he left.

Coincidence ?

Enjoyed his goals but he was/his a prick for leaving halfway through the season.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #7262 on: May 13, 2018, 08:45:37 am »
When you consider the state the club was in when he left, and his standing at the time as one of the worlds best strikers, it’s difficult to attribute too much blame. The thing that riled me was his choice of club, I felt that and some of his comments were in poor taste. I did however feel a slight karma over the next couple of years as he missed sitters week in week out. Guess he had the last laugh in 2012 however his personal qualities never came close to the performances he turned in between 2007-2010 and he knows that.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7263 on: May 13, 2018, 08:56:53 am »
When you consider the state the club was in when he left, and his standing at the time as one of the worlds best strikers, it’s difficult to attribute too much blame. The thing that riled me was his choice of club, I felt that and some of his comments were in poor taste. I did however feel a slight karma over the next couple of years as he missed sitters week in week out. Guess he had the last laugh in 2012 however his personal qualities never came close to the performances he turned in between 2007-2010 and he knows that.

Much of what he said afterwards was more a case of 'thou doth protest to much' he was selling it to himself, he never really wanted to leave our club, however he did want to win trophies and lets face it the club was not in that position at that time - his move was bitter sweet in so far as professionally he achieved what he wanted by leaving, however a heavy heart kept him having to try and 'justify' his reasoning, because the reality is he'd have enjoyed every trophy he has won since far more had it have been with us.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #7264 on: May 14, 2018, 07:01:48 am »
Much of what he said afterwards was more a case of 'thou doth protest to much' he was selling it to himself, he never really wanted to leave our club, however he did want to win trophies and lets face it the club was not in that position at that time - his move was bitter sweet in so far as professionally he achieved what he wanted by leaving, however a heavy heart kept him having to try and 'justify' his reasoning, because the reality is he'd have enjoyed every trophy he has won since far more had it have been with us.

To be fair, he's been garbage since he left us. The best part about him staying, had he stayed, would have been not getting Andy Carroll, whom I think was a major factor for our troubles for about two seasons after he turned up.

But then, it seems the club was intent on signing strikers like Carroll since regardless (Benteke, Balotelli), so maybe we were doomed to those players regardless of how we went.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7265 on: May 14, 2018, 01:09:15 pm »
To be fair, he's been garbage since he left us. The best part about him staying, had he stayed, would have been not getting Andy Carroll, whom I think was a major factor for our troubles for about two seasons after he turned up.

But then, it seems the club was intent on signing strikers like Carroll since regardless (Benteke, Balotelli), so maybe we were doomed to those players regardless of how we went.

I don't think he alone was the problem (Carroll), rather that when it didn't work in that first six months we then decided to veer away from the fluid attack we had with Suarez, Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy etc and instead went for by the numbers British players like Downing, Adam and Hendo.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7266 on: May 14, 2018, 01:10:23 pm »
He had a great song.
still remember every word

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #7267 on: May 14, 2018, 07:39:29 pm »

Not sure if there were any other bidders for him at that time but Chelsea’s £55m gave us a chance to rebuild with 2 strikers.

I also think it was a collective screw up later to buy Downing, Adam and playing Henderson on the wing to sent multiple crosses in that screwed us so badly. It completely negated Suarez effectiveness by playing to the strength of Carroll.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7268 on: May 17, 2018, 11:34:38 am »
Am I right in saying that he said he’d never play for another English club? Very surprised that the general feeling towards him seems to be one of positivity now. I can’t stand him.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7269 on: May 17, 2018, 01:20:16 pm »
Am I right in saying that he said he’d never play for another English club? Very surprised that the general feeling towards him seems to be one of positivity now. I can’t stand him.

Not sure, don't remember him saying that. He certainly said some twatty things when he left regardless. But he certainly wouldn't be the first, or only one.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7270 on: May 17, 2018, 07:21:48 pm »

I'mm certain he said that yes.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7272 on: May 17, 2018, 08:55:16 pm »
He didn't quite say it. Here's what he actually said...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/6253551/Liverpools-Fernando-Torres-Id-never-play-for-Manchester-United.html

"Liverpool is my English team and I don't think about playing for another one."
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7273 on: May 21, 2018, 02:01:43 pm »
He was one of the main reasons we challenged for the title in 08/09. Scored  some beautiful goals (vs Blackburn, Arsenal, Inter) and seemed like a decent bloke off the pitch.
His Instagram is now full of posts about Atletico and how thankful he is. I didn’t expect anything but had hoped that he would post a picture of him and Stevie, maybe?

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #7274 on: May 21, 2018, 04:22:51 pm »
He didn't. He wanted to come back, but we wouldn't stump up the money required:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dUMu0Zud5U

I was cutting Owen some slack until that final minute, where he starts comparing football support to allegience to Tesco or Asda.

He was one of the main reasons we challenged for the title in 08/09. Scored  some beautiful goals (vs Blackburn, Arsenal, Inter) and seemed like a decent bloke off the pitch.
His Instagram is now full of posts about Atletico and how thankful he is. I didn’t expect anything but had hoped that he would post a picture of him and Stevie, maybe?

Torres is leaving Atleti though, not retiring.  There'll be a suitable time for him to reflect on his lot in a year or two.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:26:51 pm by jackh »

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #7275 on: May 21, 2018, 04:26:48 pm »

Why? He's not retiring from playing?

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7276 on: May 21, 2018, 04:39:16 pm »
Ah I thought he was retiring! Seemed like the perfect time to step down.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7277 on: May 21, 2018, 07:19:12 pm »
I was cutting Owen some slack until that final minute, where he starts comparing football support to allegience to Tesco or Asda.

I don't think he comes across well at all there. From wanting to go Real Madrid in the first place and deciding he can just come back like it's a holiday home to him putting clauses in his Newcastle contract to like you say, comparing football support to shopping at a supermarket. I'm not that fussed that he joined Man Utd but him talking about it such clinical terms is just the type of person he is.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #7278 on: May 21, 2018, 08:02:35 pm »
Ah I thought he was retiring! Seemed like the perfect time to step down.

Can see him enjoying a few years playing in New York or Florida.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.