Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1386447 times)

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #14040 on: Today at 04:56:26 am »
Is the answer him playing midfield I wonder? I don't see it making his defensive performance any better or any less needed. And his long, lower percentage passing is a definite asset, but he doesn't have a great short passing ability under a press.

I am glad that this experiment with making him free to become a 4th midfielder may be ending. The sacrifice to wing attack and wing defence isn't worth the trade off in my opinion.

His long passing is wonderful. I hope the new manager can find a solution to get more of the good from him and less of the poor. I personally think that is as an attacking fullback but who knows.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14041 on: Today at 05:24:33 am »
I think it's a real possibility that he goes to Madrid in the summer, I'm afraid. There are so many reasons why a player like him, at this stage of his career, would strongly consider the move if they came calling. They're in a great place right now with their squad full to the brim with Europe's best and are guaranteed trophies. His mate, Bellingham, has become a superstar immediately and will no doubt be in his ear talking about how good it is. I also wonder if he feels that he hasn't had the respect he deserves during his time here. Despite his brilliance, he's always had a cloud over him because of his defensive deficiencies and even if he played RB for Madrid, he'd have far less to do defensively because of how they dominate games. Finally - he's got a year left on his contract, his next will be committing his peak years, he's won everything with the club, and the manager - one of the best in our generation - is leaving and likely being replaced by a relatively unknown entity, to start another rebuild less than a year after the last one began.

You can see why it would be a highly attractive move for him. The only thing keeping him here would be loyalty and maybe a promise that he'll play in midfield for Slot. If he turns them down, fair play.

We should probably be prepared for a saga this summer. Klopp's departure has overshadowed issues like this but it's feeling potentially quite 'Gerrard to Chelsea in 2005' to me.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14042 on: Today at 06:34:15 am »
So what if he goes?
They are all footballers, by definition they are replaceable. It’s a job, he can choose his path. We’ll be fine.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14043 on: Today at 06:53:49 am »
So what if he goes?
They are all footballers, by definition they are replaceable. It’s a job, he can choose his path. We’ll be fine.
It would be a huge loss. One of they few truly world class players left in the squad.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14044 on: Today at 07:22:08 am »
It would be a huge loss. One of they few truly world class players left in the squad.

He’s world class on the ball but certainly not off it, is it good enough? Not for me, we looked a much better team with Bradley playing.

Trent, Szobo and Salah on our right side is so weak defensively, and once you start pushing Trent further and further back we lose all his ability on the ball and end up in endless loops of slow passes ending wide with Diaz or Robbo to cross to a grock.

He’s turned into a highlights reel player, delivers world class passes through the game but the general play is so lacking, at least once a game he gets ghosted past by an average winger like he’s not there, Bradley wins those duels and sets off on a counter.

It’s not all on Trent either, when he plays so many players pass on responsibility to him to do something, when he’s out they step up themselves. Such one dimensional play eventually, he can’t carry the entire creative responsibility himself.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:24:28 am by Draex »

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14045 on: Today at 08:09:12 am »

A loss - yes, but nothing that couldn't be managed. In any case if he wishes to go - this is the summer to do it. Make it a full rebuild, let everyone go who isn't 110% commited and start without any baggage. I wouldn't hold it against him, their careers are short and can end at any time with a bad tackle. If he chooses to stay though, we must find a more suitable slot for him because he is costing us at right back. We'll see. I'm pretty chill about any of these players with year left, they can all be replaced.

Online Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14046 on: Today at 08:11:29 am »
Zero idea where his best position is anymore. The more Doucoure (?) walked through him in one counter in the second half was an embarrassment. But a manager worth his salt finds a way of mitigating his weaknesses and selling him also sends the absolute wrong impression. Integral he stays - more so than Salah and even van Dijk.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #14047 on: Today at 08:12:41 am »
I think it's a real possibility that he goes to Madrid in the summer, I'm afraid. There are so many reasons why a player like him, at this stage of his career, would strongly consider the move if they came calling. They're in a great place right now with their squad full to the brim with Europe's best and are guaranteed trophies. His mate, Bellingham, has become a superstar immediately and will no doubt be in his ear talking about how good it is. I also wonder if he feels that he hasn't had the respect he deserves during his time here. Despite his brilliance, he's always had a cloud over him because of his defensive deficiencies and even if he played RB for Madrid, he'd have far less to do defensively because of how they dominate games. Finally - he's got a year left on his contract, his next will be committing his peak years, he's won everything with the club, and the manager - one of the best in our generation - is leaving and likely being replaced by a relatively unknown entity, to start another rebuild less than a year after the last one began.

You can see why it would be a highly attractive move for him. The only thing keeping him here would be loyalty and maybe a promise that he'll play in midfield for Slot. If he turns them down, fair play.

We should probably be prepared for a saga this summer. Klopp's departure has overshadowed issues like this but it's feeling potentially quite 'Gerrard to Chelsea in 2005' to me.

He looked devastated last night to be fair.

I think he will stay and be the face of new Liverpool but we have to decide on him being a full back or midfielder. The hybrid thing doesn’t really work with our personnel.

If he goes to Madrid then he will be a right back and he has talked openly about not wanting to do that anymore.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14048 on: Today at 08:39:50 am »
He has to be a midfielder, for me. It seems Arne Slot prefers a 4-2-3-1, so the right of a double-pivot seems a good choice for him. Some freedom without the defensive responsibility or positional discipline of a 6.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #14049 on: Today at 08:47:18 am »
Thought he was poor with his attempt with a header to clear the ball for the first goal and fell a sleep on the second .
Talking about his passing been great  , at times I though it was poor .

Disappointed with his performance to be honest , so much better than last night

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14050 on: Today at 08:52:38 am »
Madness to consider letting him go. He is our only world class player under 30.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14051 on: Today at 08:55:36 am »
He looked devastated last night to be fair.

I think he will stay and be the face of new Liverpool but we have to decide on him being a full back or midfielder. The hybrid thing doesn’t really work with our personnel.

If he goes to Madrid then he will be a right back and he has talked openly about not wanting to do that anymore.

I'm sure he would swallow it if we were winning trophies and he could see better creativity ahead of him further up the pitch.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14052 on: Today at 09:03:34 am »
Zero idea where his best position is anymore. The more Doucoure (?) walked through him in one counter in the second half was an embarrassment. But a manager worth his salt finds a way of mitigating his weaknesses and selling him also sends the absolute wrong impression. Integral he stays - more so than Salah and even van Dijk.

This. 100% this.

Talks of selling him are madness. Dare I say it, but the experiments with his role haven't paid off (yes, I'm aware of the win % stats) and he somehow seems stuck. Doesn't help we've got an aging winger on his side of the pitch.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #14053 on: Today at 09:10:45 am »

Can’t see him been sold , up to the next manager to get the best out of him and in the right position on the pitch

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #14054 on: Today at 09:24:21 am »
I'm sure he would swallow it if we were winning trophies and he could see better creativity ahead of him further up the pitch.
Thats not the mindset a vice captain or any top player should have though. He should be lifting the team, not going down with it.

I hope a manager change will rejuvenate him, because he has some fantastic capabilities.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #14055 on: Today at 09:31:35 am »
He’s the most talented, most experienced and most important player we have in the squad who is under 30.

Imperative we sign him to a new deal. Also imperative a new manager decides on the role he has in the team going forward. Feels like it could be one of the key factors to consider for any new manager this summer.

Selling him this summer would be completely the wrong thing to do
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14056 on: Today at 09:44:55 am »

Macallister might have something to say about that.

I dont think we'll let him go but if he doesnt sign a new deal then wecmight not have a choice.

Online PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #14057 on: Today at 09:47:36 am »
Only two positions to my mind he can now play in for us.

Either in midfield as part of a pivot in a 4231 formation (never as an 8 in a 3) or as a right back who does NOT invert.

Simply this invert experiment has failed.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14058 on: Today at 11:17:10 am »
I hope Slot picks the RB based on quality alone and not the name. If he does then Bradley deserves to be the RB next season.

It is then up to Trent to find that hunger he had for defending when he first came into the team in 2017. That fresh faced boy was hungry and defended every action with all his heart. No airs and graces but as time has gone on, that has changed.

Quite sad to see that fire inside him not present anymore. It's been like this for a few years now. The intensity Bradley defends with is what Trent used to be. At what point did he decide he was above giving that sort of intensity towards defending? For the first few years it certainly wasn't an issue.

And he shouldn't be moved to CM because the same issues will be apparent in the middle.

He also needs to tone down the Hollywood balls. Think he's been watching too many compilations of Gerrard. One or two otherworldly passes in a game doesn't make a performance and then mean that you can neglect the rest of your game. The same applied for Gerrard and the same applies to him.

He needs to have a word with himself and find the hunger he had for defending when he first came into the team as a young boy. The lad who had everything to prove and was trying to make it. If he can't remember too well then he can look close by at Bradley and remind himself of what he used to be. Bradley would also be wise to look at Trent and take a note of how to never end up with such a mighty opinion of yourself, that defending with all your heart isn't a prerequisite anymore.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:20:48 am by Andar »

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14059 on: Today at 12:46:56 pm »

He's not world class at RB

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #14060 on: Today at 12:49:07 pm »
He's not world class at RB

😂

He literally reinvented the position.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #14061 on: Today at 12:52:25 pm »
Massive conundrum for our new manager. Bradley will be RB so it's about where on the pitch he plays to get on the ball. His ability to change the play from deep comes with the risk of his ability to win the ball, higher up the pitch his options to change the play reduce but less liable in the tackle.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Online Rich

• Kopite
  • RAWK Lurker
« Reply #14062 on: Today at 01:01:38 pm »
He doesn't want to play RB though. Truth is, he doesn't seem to want to do anything unless the ball is at his feet.

The whole experiment has killed the balance in the team.

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14063 on: Today at 01:04:08 pm »
😂

He literally reinvented the position.

Not taking away how good he is on the ball and past seasons he was obviously brilliant and world class in that system. But the defensive side of the game has been a debate for a few seasons now. I would consider playing him much further up the pitch, are we actually getting the best out of him at RB anymore? Seems a real waste to me when we have the likes of Szoboslai contributing next to nothing.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14064 on: Today at 01:27:13 pm »
Does he have some problem in heading the ball? It's like he can't get off the ground, terrible on both goals but not a surprise

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #14065 on: Today at 01:42:36 pm »
Massive conundrum for our new manager. Bradley will be RB so it's about where on the pitch he plays to get on the ball. His ability to change the play from deep comes with the risk of his ability to win the ball, higher up the pitch his options to change the play reduce but less liable in the tackle.
There's also massive untapped potential in Trent, probably more than in any of our players (although I feel a bit like that with Nunez and Szobo too).

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #14066 on: Today at 01:45:53 pm »
I can see Bradley and Trent in the same team, that way we get a right back
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14067 on: Today at 01:50:08 pm »
Where does the Madrid rumour come from and where would they play him.
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...