Author Topic: Match Preview: UCL QF 1st Leg Liverpool v Man City [4 April 2018, K.O 19:45 GMT]  (Read 100599 times)

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
Do the stats back up the idea that being home in the 2nd leg is a big advantage ?  It always seems to be considered as one, but I don't buy it.
The idea that "you know what you have to do at home" seems to be the line, f**k that shit.
In the 196 CL knockout-ties since 2003-04, 125 (or ~64%) saw the team playing at home in the 2nd leg advance.

Numbers are from this article written about a month ago by Andrew Beasley ;

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-articles/Soccer/champions-league-match-predictions/D3E2R38B3CRB5ZZX

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Nobody cares about Everton or the derby right now.

Offline Sevens and Eights

• Main Stander
  • Football is my oxygen.
Nobody cares about Everton or the derby right now.
What’s an Everton... what derby?

Only one match matters this week, it’s making my stomach ill thinking about it. Thank god I’ll be working, I’ll watch the match when the dust settles...

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
The ideal scenario for us would be to race into an early lead, forcing City perhaps be indecisive over what their plan would be from there on out. You'd expect them to still attack and get a couple of away goals but if they go all out and panic we could get a lot of joy on the counter-attack. They're going to have the lion's share of the possession anyway, but to what extent they'd be willing to have a shootout with us should they be chasing the tie early on would be interesting to see.

That said, the nightmare scenario for us would be to be losing by a couple of goals early on. We must still keep ourselves in the tie going to the Etihad, as long as we do that I will be confident. I was happy when the draw was made that the second leg will be away from home and I still am. This City side is legitimately outstanding and we cannot underestimate them but they are not unbeatable. We have shown that. Sure, they didn't have Silva but we didn't have Van Dijk either. I think he could be the difference.

It's going to be frenetic. It is something we should treasure and we should take it all in. It has been a while since we've been here. If we play to our best and the tie is fair over 180 minutes then we absolutely can advance to the semi-finals. Klopp is no mug tactically and he's got a great record against Pep. Let's fucking do this.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Sh1tting bricks now waiting for this.

Hope I won't be disappointed! 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Trying to decide if I should follow text commentary on here whilst the game is on and I'm working or not check the score until I get off work. Either way my heart is going to bits.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
Trying to decide if I should follow text commentary on here whilst the game is on and I'm working or not check the score until I get off work. Either way my heart is going to bits.

I’ve been contemplating doing that as I’m travelling that day. However, I can’t remember the last time I shunned social media completely while a match was ongoing and watched it later that day. It probably was the CL and it must have been a good 10 years or so ago. Even if I haven’t been able to watch a match live I’ve followed the score online.

Not really sure what I’m going to do here but I’ve been deliberating different scenarios in my head. Part of me wants to watch it later and avoid the score but I worry that some friend is going to text me and I’ll inadvertently read it. I also don’t think we’re going to fuck this up, especially at Anfield. I mean they’re great but we’re a bloody good side now and if I watch it later I’m confident we would have done alright.
YWNA

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
I feel strange about this game - nervous as hell, but having the knowledge that I'd be satisfied whichever way it goes. I feel that we have a good chance if Lady Luck is on our side, but I know for sure that we will watch a wonderful game. 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
I think this tie might be done either way after this 90, just the feeling i get
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
Could there be a PSG factor at play where they are unfamiliar at not totally dominating a matching m the start, so when they encounter a real challenge they are in unfamiliar territory? Let’s hope we score first and stun them and cast doubt early.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I think the Everton tie is much less importance than usual and you make plenty of changes... I can really see Solanke getting a chance again..

Yes, I agree but it won't be 10 changes.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
Casting my mind back to the Man City game at home earlier on this season, they still are the only side that has really put us under immense pressure, both on the ball and off it. Their pressing that day was impressive.
I’m of 2 minds really, I’m slightly worried about our team defending as a unit, and I believe that if TAA is playing at right back then I worry about him being targeted. In fact it’s almost a certainty really, and our midfield need to learn to offer him a lot more protection. The other thought though is; we are Liverpool and we are going to absolutely twat ‘em. Bobby, Mane and Salah are going to get the pace bouncing.
Bring on tomorrow night, bring on the smoke, bring on the noise, bring it all on!

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Weirdly I'm in the cinema tonight at almost the exact time the game is on, so not only am I not watching but won't be able to stay informed. It's going to be a tense few seconds waiting for the phone to come back on after.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline TealC

• Legacy Fan
Weirdly I'm in the cinema tonight at almost the exact time the game is on, so not only am I not watching but won't be able to stay informed. It's going to be a tense few seconds waiting for the phone to come back on after.

:shocked

Oh tonight - or do you mean tomorrow night?

If not i have good news for you  ;D
« Last Edit: April 3, 2018, 08:10:33 am by TealC »

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I've been trying not to think about this game as it gives me the jitters but it's done now. The excitement has set in. It's time to batten down the hatches and get ready for what I suspect will be an absolute nailbiter. It has the feeling of Juventus 2005 for me. Go out in the first leg against an all-star team that look like a top European side and fucking do them with a flurry at the start. Rafa was criticised back then for being negative but he promised that Liverpool would come out and attack against Juve and that's what they did. The start to the game was fucking rousing and I think Finnan? put in a cracking tackle to win a corner early in the game and you knew it was on. That's what we need against City. That spirit and that fire. Let's smash them and leave them quaking.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
:shocked

Oh tonight - or do you mean tomorrow night?

If not i have good news for you  ;D

Actually both, hence the confusion...
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Looking like there’s no Can.... big loss that...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Presumably going to be Henderson, Gini and Ox in midfield then? Milner's been great recently but not sure he's got the legs for City.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Presumably going to be Henderson, Gini and Ox in midfield then? Milner's been great recently but not sure he's got the legs for City.

I would be tempted to play Milner. We need someone who will get in the face of silva and de bruyne as the 2 players that make them tick. Milner is very good at that - better than wijnaldum in my view
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
Would be happy with a 0-0, 1-1 or any kind of victory. Would back ourselves to score at the Etihad so I believe we will go into the 2nd leg with an advantage of needing a score draw to not go out or go through.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I've been trying not to think about this game as it gives me the jitters but it's done now. The excitement has set in. It's time to batten down the hatches and get ready for what I suspect will be an absolute nailbiter. It has the feeling of Juventus 2005 for me. Go out in the first leg against an all-star team that look like a top European side and fucking do them with a flurry at the start. Rafa was criticised back then for being negative but he promised that Liverpool would come out and attack against Juve and that's what they did. The start to the game was fucking rousing and I think Finnan? put in a cracking tackle to win a corner early in the game and you knew it was on. That's what we need against City. That spirit and that fire. Let's smash them and leave them quaking.

Yeah, call me old fashioned, but we need a couple of crunching tackles early on to get the crowd up another notch and to batter them mentally. Show Sterling why he's been such a failure every time he's come back to Anfield.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....

You're actually choosing going to see a film over one of the biggest games of the season involving the team you support? I don't get it.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub

Really? Bollocks that’s not good. For all the criticism of him he’s our best CM and we lose a bit without him.
The other challenge is we’re getting thin for in game changes if he’s out - if he’s out with Lallana out that leaves us with one front 6 change (of palyers he trusts / proven first teamers)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
I think the last 20 minutes of the first leg could be massive. In the league game we burnt ourselves out after about 65 minutes and nearly ended up drawing. We need to do it for the full 90 this time. Any goals conceded near the end could be absolute crushers.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
In the 196 CL knockout-ties since 2003-04, 125 (or ~64%) saw the team playing at home in the 2nd leg advance.

Numbers are from this article written about a month ago by Andrew Beasley ;

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-articles/Soccer/champions-league-match-predictions/D3E2R38B3CRB5ZZX
57% of those matches are round of 16 matches, where the group winners play home in the second leg. Most of the time those group winners are the better teams. We had an unusual year this time with Beşiktaş, PSG, Tottenham and the mancs going out.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Kuyt urges Reds to 'show who we are' in Anfield leg

Being drawn to play at home first gives Liverpool an opportunity to 'show who we are' in a Champions League quarter-final Dirk Kuyt expects to be decided by the finer details.

Anfield will host the first leg of the Reds’ last-eight clash with Manchester City on Wednesday, with the second match taking place at Etihad Stadium six days later.

Traditionally, it is seen as favourable to have the second leg of a European tie at home but, with the memory of January’s thrilling 4-3 Anfield victory over City in the Premier League still fresh, Kuyt doesn’t think Jürgen Klopp’s team have been disadvantaged by the order of the games.

“Because it’s football it’s difficult to say. Everyone always tries to predict football but nobody does really!” the former forward told Liverpoolfc.com, after being asked whether playing at home first or second makes a difference.

“That’s why football is such a great game, nobody can predict it. Always people say, ‘it’s better to play away first’, but if you get beat 3-0 in the first game then you don’t even have to bother playing the home game anymore!

“For example, if we beat City in the first game with maybe one or two goals difference, then the mental game at City will be totally different.

“You just have to give everything in those kinds of games. I think it’s great to play the first game at Anfield, to show who we are in the same style we did in the league game. Then we will have a great chance to win at Anfield, and we will see [what happens] when we go to the City stadium without any fear.”

Kuyt knows from personal experience that the power of Anfield can influence the outcome of contests with Europe’s elite.

The Dutchman was, of course, a leading protagonist in several huge continental ties during his six-year Liverpool career, with his knack of popping up with vital goals on such occasions one of the reasons for his enduring popularity among the club’s supporters.

The likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Chelsea and Arsenal were beaten over two legs in Kuyt’s time on Merseyside as Rafael Benitez’s side established themselves as mainstays in the latter stages of the Champions League.

And the 37-year-old explained that even opponents of the highest calibre can be left in awe of Anfield’s ‘unique’ atmosphere on big European evenings.

“First of all the crowd is amazing, and also the history of the Champions League nights is something you can feel even before the games,” he said.

“It’s unique [and] I’m not only speaking for myself. For example, when I was with the national team and I was speaking with guys like [Arjen] Robben or [Wesley] Sneijder or [Robin] Van Persie, they also felt the same - only they were wearing the wrong colour shirt!

“They had the same feeling. When I was playing at Anfield, I was feeling so strong and especially on Champions League nights. The crowd is going to get behind the team from the first second until the last, even before the game it all starts. Those days are the days I miss the most.”

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/295553-liverpool-fc-manchester-city-champions-league-anfield-dirk-kuyt

Wouldn't mind a couple of old timers from Rafa's side getting in the players' ears before these big European ties. Dirk, Gerrard, Carra, Alonso maybe.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2018, 09:51:45 am by Gerrvindh »

Offline SingFongFC

• Kopite
  • L-I-V, E-R-P, Double O L, Liverpool FC
Had a look at a few Man City forums to see how they were feeling. Lasted about two minutes. Bunch or bitter, arrogant knobheads who feel sort of self entitlement to success nowadays. They basically think they just have to turn up.

Yeah I had a scan at Blue Moon in the early hours when I couldn’t sleep. Some absolutely vile stuff going on over there, actually couldn’t believe it.

Don’t want to even dignify the post that horrified me the most by mentioning its actual content.

One of ours made the mistake of posting, absolutely nothing wrong with what he put - basically just said that they were an outstanding team, miles ahead of the rest this season, either team could win and how much he couldn’t wait for the games.

All he got for his trouble was a load of absolute abuse, topped off by an astonishing rant by someone who is apparently married to an LFC fan, went to Uni in Liverpool and even went to the odd game when City were away on the south coast. He now apparently despises us as a club, fan base etc. In fact, there were quite a few in there claiming to hate us more than they do United, which staggered me.

Strange, strange bunch!

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Yeah I had a scan at Blue Moon in the early hours when I couldn’t sleep. Some absolutely vile stuff going on over there, actually couldn’t believe it.

Don’t want to even dignify the post that horrified me the most by mentioning its actual content.

One of ours made the mistake of posting, absolutely nothing wrong with what he put - basically just said that they were an outstanding team, miles ahead of the rest this season, either team could win and how much he couldn’t wait for the games.

All he got for his trouble was a load of absolute abuse, topped off by an astonishing rant by someone who is apparently married to an LFC fan, went to Uni in Liverpool and even went to the odd game when City were away on the south coast. He now apparently despises us as a club, fan base etc. In fact, there were quite a few in there claiming to hate us more than they do United, which staggered me.

Strange, strange bunch!

They do seem to be. I know a few city fans (old timers and not the new influx that has followed the fantasy football signings) and they are sound. They remember the days of playing a few leagues down and know how lucky they have got with their investors - although in fairness it doesn`t sit right with one of them because of who is pumping the money in. You tend to find online that some so called fans take just having a bit of banter way beyond acceptable discourse because they are hiding behind a keyboard. Most fans of other teams I know are, in the main, sound enough and you can have a good footy chat with them.

The atmosphere tomorrow will sort the men from the boys. They won`t have seen or heard anything like it.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
57% of those matches are round of 16 matches, where the group winners play home in the second leg. Most of the time those group winners are the better teams. We had an unusual year this time with Beşiktaş, PSG, Tottenham and the mancs going out.

Good read that. So if we factor that portion in, when it comes to quarter final games, its probably about even.  Wouldn't it be nice to celebrate a semi final spot in Manchester  ;)

Offline Yesitsanextender

• Colonel Mustard in the en-suite bathroom with a lead pipe.
  • Anny Roader
  • i love klopp, kloppy klopp klopp, down in my belly
Every single one of us going to the game has a responsibility, a call to arms a fakin iob to do 2moro night....we are liverpool, this will be anfield..every single
Supporter needs to dig in.
Been to too many games were its a joy to see the kop in full
Swing while the rest just sit in awe. Sometimes feel the kop is the 12th man. Anfield can be the 13th!
No love for city, all love for lfc

Offline SingFongFC

• Kopite
  • L-I-V, E-R-P, Double O L, Liverpool FC
They do seem to be. I know a few city fans (old timers and not the new influx that has followed the fantasy football signings) and they are sound. They remember the days of playing a few leagues down and know how lucky they have got with their investors - although in fairness it doesn`t sit right with one of them because of who is pumping the money in. You tend to find online that some so called fans take just having a bit of banter way beyond acceptable discourse because they are hiding behind a keyboard. Most fans of other teams I know are, in the main, sound enough and you can have a good footy chat with them.

The atmosphere tomorrow will sort the men from the boys. They won`t have seen or heard anything like it.

I must admit, I had a little smile to myself every time someone on there rubbished Anfield and the atmosphere. I hope all those that did that are actually going to be present tomorrow!

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
You're actually choosing going to see a film over one of the biggest games of the season involving the team you support? I don't get it.

He won't get it either, if he doesn't go to the cinema.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Absolutely buzzing my twat off for this. City are the last team I wanted to face but CL knockouts are CL knockouts. This is what its all about. We know we can beat them. Anfield will be rocking so I really hope we don't concede early and deflate the mood. Need to keep up the concentration for 90 minutes this time too!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
I must admit, I had a little smile to myself every time someone on there rubbished Anfield and the atmosphere. I hope all those that did that are actually going to be present tomorrow!

and funnily enough the old timers I have spoken to have said that they know that anfield could be a deciding factor. They will walk out to a wall of noise and their fans will experience a full ground for once !

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
Would take a win of any kind... even 0-0, 1-1 and we'll be in the tie.

Wonder if he'll play Sterling...
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Fuck off Man City, you ain't got no history...

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
Think Gomez would have played in this one if he was fit. TAA has to be on his best defensive performance. We are the underdogs and we excel in this position. COME ON!
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"“You saw it against Everton at the weekend. They have a good crowd but if you are three goals ahead, then it is really difficult for them to get into it. Let’s hope we can do the same at Anfield."

http://www.football365.com/news/de-bruyne-dismisses-european-nights-anfield-talk

Boys in for a rude awakening. He'll be made to eat those words.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
"“You saw it against Everton at the weekend. They have a good crowd but if you are three goals ahead, then it is really difficult for them to get into it. Let’s hope we can do the same at Anfield."

http://www.football365.com/news/de-bruyne-dismisses-european-nights-anfield-talk

Boys in for a rude awakening. He'll be made to eat those words.

I've always thought that the ferocious atmosphere was more to push us rather than to intimidate the opposition.