Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 603332 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #5080 on: June 22, 2018, 12:44:46 am »
Looks like Doncic is going to the mavs

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5081 on: June 22, 2018, 08:55:54 am »
Doncic will be great for Mavs imo, Hawks fucked this up big time but we shall see.
They are going for Cousins in free agency as well, if he is healthy, they are definitely a play-off team.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #5082 on: June 23, 2018, 10:46:36 am »
Still scratching my head as to why Hawks traded away the best player in the draft.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5083 on: June 23, 2018, 10:50:41 am »
Been to the last couple of years in London, that will be a hard one to get tickets for though with the Knicks there!

I bloody hope not, need to go this and watch my Knicks for the first time. Missed out on the other games.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5084 on: June 23, 2018, 12:35:08 pm »
Still scratching my head as to why Hawks traded away the best player in the draft.
Totally with you here. They are clueless as fuck. They think Trae will be the new Curry but he is far from it imo.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5085 on: June 23, 2018, 03:57:30 pm »
Totally with you here. They are clueless as fuck. They think Trae will be the new Curry but he is far from it imo.
also it’s about where the league will be in 5/7/10 years time (which is why I can understand Ayton going number 1), 6’1” guards that can shoot now have a value but 5 years time the game will probably evolve and that’ll mean Doncic is a better option

Doncic has been doing it against men these years and outdone them and is by far the lowest floor, but I think it was a zach Lowe podcast where he said a GM told him he’d rather have a ncaa bust than a Euro bust, but it’s got echos of the trade the mavs did in the 98 draft

Had a gander on Toni kroos’ twitter, safe to say he likes this move!

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5086 on: June 23, 2018, 06:18:10 pm »
“These guys gotta swim now.”

Last season was a WASTE. Hornacek put HIS well-being over the TEAM by playing vets over youth & it resulted in NOTHING.

Fizdale GETS IT & has no problem letting the “kids” learn from mistakes. FINALLY, we are getting it right.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5087 on: June 23, 2018, 07:00:42 pm »
but I think it was a zach Lowe podcast where he said a GM told him he’d rather have a ncaa bust than a Euro bust

Honestly, that's not far off from the Premiership way of thinking, it does seem a lot of teams would rather have a domestic player fail than a foreigner. Happy for the Mavs, not an expert, but have a feeling they got the best player in the draft.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #5088 on: June 24, 2018, 02:12:22 pm »
Honestly, that's not far off from the Premiership way of thinking, it does seem a lot of teams would rather have a domestic player fail than a foreigner. Happy for the Mavs, not an expert, but have a feeling they got the best player in the draft.

Exactly.  There's more value in a failed NCAA top draft bust than in a European top draft bust. You can draft to win and incur the risk, or draft to win AND to to be safe. Plenty of failed stories either way, though I'd rather they picked based on potential or quality attributes and just accepted the risk.

As my dad used to say, better to aim high and fail, than aim low and succeed.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5089 on: June 24, 2018, 02:39:03 pm »
Exactly.  There's more value in a failed NCAA top draft bust than in a European top draft bust. You can draft to win and incur the risk, or draft to win AND to to be safe. Plenty of failed stories either way, though I'd rather they picked based on potential or quality attributes and just accepted the risk.

As my dad used to say, better to aim high and fail, than aim low and succeed.a
stephen a’s favourite #1 pick being a good example, still had trade value for years despite being clear as day he was absolutely shite on so many levels was seen as a better pick (albeit out of high school) than the spaniard with a good CV who went two picks later and is a first ballot hall of famer who’s number will be retired by the lakers when he’s done (and I think the first foreign player to have done so for the lakers), and a similar aged Frenchman who’s a former finals MVP and another first ballot hall of famer who went around 30 picks later who’d also done more than that #1 pick
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:40:52 pm by Lush is the best medicine... »

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5090 on: June 24, 2018, 04:42:57 pm »

:lmao

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5091 on: June 24, 2018, 04:55:14 pm »
Haha shit that team would challenge for the Eastern conference title! Bit like Chelsea and who they let go, although this is obviously far worse.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5092 on: June 24, 2018, 05:56:00 pm »
Haha shit that team would challenge for the Eastern conference title! Bit like Chelsea and who they let go, although this is obviously far worse.
- lillard pick was in a trade where Portland got Shawne Williams and memo Okur, Brooklyn got Gerald Wallace.
- sexton, kuzma and brown came from the trade for the shells of kg, Jason terry and paul pierce, didn’t even get to a conference finals
- green was a trade where they got Brandon wright and dan gadzuric, gave up troy Murphy (may have been a salary dump, but still)

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5093 on: June 24, 2018, 06:20:24 pm »
NBA free agency rankings 2018: LeBron James, Paul George, Chris Paul lead top 50 free agents

Man pre-injury Cousins would have been one of the most sought after players in the league. Shame he’s suffered such a serious injury, he could have been the missing piece of the jigsaw for Boston.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5094 on: June 24, 2018, 06:21:32 pm »
Mavs should throw a max deal at capela, nice piece to a young team should get them challenging for the bottom end of the playoff seeds

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5095 on: June 24, 2018, 07:19:35 pm »
Mavs should throw a max deal at capela, nice piece to a young team should get them challenging for the bottom end of the playoff seeds

Hmm- I ahve my doubts about any centre that gets his points mostly from pick and rolls, doesn't have a good jumpshot, and doesn't have a low post move to his name.
Even in this era, where it's pretty much pick and rolls and defend the rim on the defensive end, his shooting range will make him a liability on any team bar a team like Houston that amasses 3pt shooters around Paul and Harden.
Think he'll struggle to put up good numbers on another team. And I expected more from him in terms of rebounding.

But I guess I'm still stuck with the mindset that max contracts are only for elites, or what a team predicts will be an elite player.
Nowadays they're giving them away like free vouchers.

Wish they'd abolish the max contract lvl.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5096 on: June 24, 2018, 07:28:16 pm »

there should be a criteria a player has to hit (e.g. all nba/mvp/dpoy/Roy/all star appearances) which should limit the max, the idea that the best player on a team deserves the max is bollocks, way it is means guys who deserve huge money like lebron get underpaid and many others get overpaid, I mean out of this top 22(excluding bosh here) I’d say 15  are overpaid (lebron, Curry, harden, Westbrook, kd, lillard and AD, Paul misses out due to age and injuries) and the rest are varying degrees of overpay to the slight (McCollum, horford) to the quite a bit (griffin,Conley, Melo)

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5097 on: June 24, 2018, 07:58:06 pm »
Nah, not sold in him yet, especially far from a max contract. Then again Mavs were ready to splash cash on Deandre a few years ago so nothing will surprise me. I think Cousins (if healthy) is in the mix as well. They are definitely gonna make a summer move to run for play-off spot next year though.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5098 on: June 25, 2018, 12:57:20 am »
Nah, not sold in him yet, especially far from a max contract. Then again Mavs were ready to splash cash on Deandre a few years ago so nothing will surprise me. I think Cousins (if healthy) is in the mix as well. They are definitely gonna make a summer move to run for play-off spot next year though.
that the pels got better without cousins, and his rep makes me think he’d be a bad idea, DJ not a bad option, capela would have the added bonus of weakening Houston too and the only way they could realistically get him is a max or near max

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5099 on: June 25, 2018, 03:01:58 am »
stephen a’s favourite #1 pick being a good example, still had trade value for years despite being clear as day he was absolutely shite on so many levels was seen as a better pick (albeit out of high school) than the spaniard with a good CV who went two picks later and is a first ballot hall of famer who’s number will be retired by the lakers when he’s done (and I think the first foreign player to have done so for the lakers), and a similar aged Frenchman who’s a former finals MVP and another first ballot hall of famer who went around 30 picks later who’d also done more than that #1 pick

Kwame Brown - Pau Gasol - Tony Parker?

Took me a while to figure that one out. :)

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5100 on: June 25, 2018, 04:08:21 am »
What do you do with the cap then?

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5101 on: June 25, 2018, 06:33:15 am »
Kwame Brown - Pau Gasol - Tony Parker?

Took me a while to figure that one out. :)
yup, and two of them were traded for each other, and gave us this stephen a moment

https://youtu.be/6PP4RT-vv-o

Offline BigJimFinn

• Main Stander
« Reply #5102 on: June 25, 2018, 09:29:34 am »
Split it between your players as you see fit. If you have a top 5 guy making more than the current max, you will have less available for the supporting cast, and parity will improve.

Easy as this would be, it won't happen because the wage structure is fixed in the CBA negotiation, and the huge majority of players would suffer financially from this change.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5103 on: June 26, 2018, 07:38:42 am »
Split it between your players as you see fit. If you have a top 5 guy making more than the current max, you will have less available for the supporting cast, and parity will improve.

Easy as this would be, it won't happen because the wage structure is fixed in the CBA negotiation, and the huge majority of players would suffer financially from this change.

Pretty much the above.
The max sounds fair in theory, but all that's happened is "middle ranked" players are getting overpaid, and "lower ranked players" are getting a bonus to their salaries as well. It's only natural that the top players are starting to group up, they can take a hit on their salaries as accepting 30% less salary and joining forces to attempt to win trophies, isn't only a viable smart option for success, it actually can benefit them financially if we include the boost in their "brand" due to Finals appearances or trophies.

If the most the top stars can earn within the league is say 35mill, taking a salary for 25 mill and only losing 10 mill in salary, is a good deal. They can make that with sponserships, or at least recover most of it. If we erase the max, or add another tier of supermax contracts that can reach up to 45 mill (just an example!), now we're talking about potentialy losing out on 20 mill per season rather than 10 mill. I guarantee you, most players will pocket the max if it's available for them.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5104 on: June 26, 2018, 07:41:41 am »
yup, and two of them were traded for each other, and gave us this stephen a moment

https://youtu.be/6PP4RT-vv-o

Stephen A. Smith when he was at his peak. ;D

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5105 on: June 26, 2018, 07:44:25 am »
Also, great picks by the Knicks.
Yeah I said it, great picks. By the Knicks.
We're actually starting to look respectable in the back office.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5106 on: June 26, 2018, 08:44:25 am »
Dwane Casey Named 2018 Coach Of The Year

James Harden Wins 2018 NBA Most Valuable Player

Ben Simmons Named 2018 Rookie Of The Year

Rudy Gobert Named 2018 Defensive Player Of The Year

Victor Oladipo Named 2018 Most Improved Player

Lou Williams Named 2018 Sixth Man Of The Year

Daryl Morey Named 2018 Executive Of The Year

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5107 on: June 26, 2018, 08:54:53 am »
Dwane Casey Named 2018 Coach Of The Year

Mad decision by the Raps.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5108 on: June 26, 2018, 10:43:40 am »
Mad decision by the Raps.
10 playoff defeats in a row to the cavs

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #5109 on: June 26, 2018, 12:38:52 pm »
Burnnnnnnnn

Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5110 on: June 26, 2018, 01:37:36 pm »
10 playoff defeats in a row to the cavs

Seems to be the norm these days though in sport to sack the coach/manager.

Offline BigJimFinn

• Main Stander
« Reply #5111 on: June 26, 2018, 02:42:33 pm »
And the lack of cap space should help you avoid the annual FA set-money-on-fire fuckup.
Unless you trade away four future first-rounders to get rid of Noah, Lee and Hardaway in order to sign Boogie and Marcus Smart.
After all, Dolan has a reputation to uphold.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5112 on: June 26, 2018, 02:46:10 pm »

I hope Fizz does good for you lot

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5113 on: June 26, 2018, 03:32:26 pm »
Not really sold on Fizz yet, after Marc Gasol, he may have the same ego issues and locker room problems with Porzingis.
He has a few good assistant years with the Heat just because they had prime Lebron and Wade, and that's about it.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5114 on: June 26, 2018, 04:48:56 pm »
easier than getting rid of the players

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5115 on: June 26, 2018, 07:17:59 pm »

I like him. Like a light version of Van Gundy. The former Knicks coach, not his bro. ;)
Would be a welcome change. We've done the whole "former player comes in and fails to offer anything beyond his name", might be nice to bring in someone known for seeing the game in terms of tactics and angles.

But to be honest, Knicks fans are so deprived of any consistent positive approach that we'll jump onto any "this might be the change we need" bandwagon.

So Fizz? This might be the change we need!

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5116 on: June 26, 2018, 07:38:17 pm »
I like him. Like a light version of Van Gundy. The former Knicks coach, not his bro. ;)
Would be a welcome change. We've done the whole "former player comes in and fails to offer anything beyond his name", might be nice to bring in someone known for seeing the game in terms of tactics and angles.

But to be honest, Knicks fans are so deprived of any consistent positive approach that we'll jump onto any "this might be the change we need" bandwagon.

So Fizz? This might be the change we need!
I was actually rooting for JVG to get back into coaching by taking the Knicks job.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5117 on: June 26, 2018, 07:50:18 pm »
I was actually rooting for JVG to get back into coaching by taking the Knicks job.

Maybe you were rooting for the Knicks to continuing being the Knicks

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5118 on: June 26, 2018, 07:55:27 pm »

Surely they did the opposite of the norm? They gave Casey three bites at the cherry. He lost in 6 in 2016, fair. Swept last year - poor but understandable. Getting swept this year, when the Cavs got taken to 7 by two young teams in Indy and the Celtics, when the Cavs got swept by the Warriors, when the Cavs had LeBron, 20-10 Love and a bunch of G leaguers?? Unacceptable. He is obviously a good coach on multiple levels but 3 years of playoff regression is more than enough cause to sack him, for a team that is in win-now mode with Lowry and DeRozan.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5119 on: June 28, 2018, 05:06:57 pm »
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK