Author Topic: General Rugby Union Thread  (Read 596075 times)

Offline JimmysHammer

• Kopite
  • Y.N.W.A
Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 - warm-up games and tournament
« Reply #80 on: August 6, 2011, 03:26:10 pm »
For the team we put out I've been impressed so far.

Is that Ireland mate, to be fair Scotland are the ideal team to look at some new faces against.

No offence to any Scots on here.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups - George Carlin

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #81 on: August 6, 2011, 03:35:19 pm »
Scotland 3 - 3 Ireland
49mins

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #82 on: August 6, 2011, 03:36:04 pm »
Scots 3-3 Irish. Patterson penalty 49th minute.

Offline Logistiks

• Anny Roader
  • Welsh Red!
Rugby World Cup 2011 - warm-up games and tournament
« Reply #83 on: August 6, 2011, 03:46:30 pm »
Morgan Stoddart has gone off injured. Real shame, injury apparently quite bad as the tv refused to show a reply of how it happened.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: August 6, 2011, 03:48:22 pm »
Ireland very scrappy in this second half.

Offline JimmysHammer

• Kopite
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #85 on: August 6, 2011, 03:48:30 pm »
Morgan Stoddart has gone off injured. Real shame, injury apparently quite bad as the tv refused to show a reply of how it happened.

His left leg was strapped into place and he was taking on Oxygen and air, so like you said mate, must be a bad one.

Is a shame.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups - George Carlin

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 6, 2011, 03:53:52 pm »
Scots 3-6 Irish. Sexton penalty in the 66th minute.

Offline Logistiks

• Anny Roader
  • Welsh Red!
« Reply #87 on: August 6, 2011, 03:56:51 pm »
Shane Williams scores the try for Wales. Not an easy try, a good couple of attempts for the try.
Conversion missed, score is 20-12

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: August 6, 2011, 04:06:09 pm »
Scotland score a try. Pass was a mile forward..

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 6, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »
Scots 10-6 Irish.  Ansbro try and conversion successful.

Offline Logistiks

• Anny Roader
  • Welsh Red!
« Reply #90 on: August 6, 2011, 04:19:54 pm »
George North gets the try and it's converted. England lead 23-19 with 2 mins remaining

Offline Logistiks

• Anny Roader
  • Welsh Red!
« Reply #91 on: August 6, 2011, 04:22:03 pm »
England have the ball with 50 seconds remaining. Game should close with England in possession.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #92 on: August 6, 2011, 08:18:32 pm »
Decent game between the All Blacks and Australia this morning. Plenty Australia can take away from this game despite the scoreline. They dominated possession but lacked the finishing touches on moves, whereas the All Blacks seemed to score every time they were in the Australian 22. Quade-Cooper faded badly and was a liability towards the end. Loved how Carter made Quade-Cooper look the pussy'ole he is by smashing people in defence (made two try saving tackles and turned the ball over numerous times). No hiding on the wing for Dan the man.
I thought the Aussies were completely outplayed and only scored the first try after a fortunate turnover and the second try after the ABs had made all their changes when the game was won.
Carter was outstanding while Cooper was awful. Only one winner of the Tri-Nations and if they can keep the squad healthy and in form probably the World Cup as well...
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: August 6, 2011, 08:21:24 pm »
His left leg was strapped into place and he was taking on Oxygen and air, so like you said mate, must be a bad one.

Is a shame.
Watched it back after the game and his leg was trapped under him while he fell. Would say it was a tib & fib break and maybe a broken ankle as well. Not got a lot of time for Danny Care but it was great sportsmanship from him to ask the ref to stop the game as he could see that Stoddart was badly injured.
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 7, 2011, 03:09:46 am »
I thought the Aussies were completely outplayed and only scored the first try after a fortunate turnover and the second try after the ABs had made all their changes when the game was won.
Carter was outstanding while Cooper was awful. Only one winner of the Tri-Nations and if they can keep the squad healthy and in form probably the World Cup as well...
Our kicking was also awful. Quade Cooper is really not a concern though.

Offline Logistiks

• Anny Roader
  • Welsh Red!
« Reply #95 on: August 7, 2011, 10:45:07 am »

Didn't see the match, Was O'Connor kicking?

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 7, 2011, 01:07:43 pm »
Didn't see the match, Was O'Connor kicking?
O'Connor kicked penalties and missed his three.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 7, 2011, 02:06:14 pm »
Quade seemed off his game which was surprising considering his last few games. O'Connor's kicking was off but that happens. One positive I suppose was that your scrum was decent enough....

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: August 7, 2011, 02:31:01 pm »
Quade seemed off his game which was surprising considering his last few games. O'Connor's kicking was off but that happens. One positive I suppose was that your scrum was decent enough....
Yeah Quade definitely didn't play well but as you know sometimes players can be off their game, I'd be worried if it became a run of form but he's been very good for a while now so I'm not too worried.

With the kicking, I'm just tired of not capitalising on penalties the way other teams do to us. From what I've heard O'Connor kicked well in the super 14's this season so I have faith, I just wish we had that one guy we knew was our best kick and can get us those easy points regularly. We have O'Connor, Quade, and Beale who can kick but who is the best might be debatable. Apparently O'Connor won a kick-off at training, I just wish we didn't need one.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2011, 01:41:26 pm »
13 changes for england

England team: Ben Foden (Northampton); Chris Ashton (Northampton), Mike Tindall (Gloucester, capt), Shontayne Hape (London Irish), Mark Cueto (Sale); Toby Flood (Leicester), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens); Alex Corbisiero (London Irish), Steve Thompson (Wasps), Dan Cole (Leicester); Louis Deacon (Leicester), Courtney Lawes (Northampton); Tom Wood (Northampton), Hendre Fourie (Sale), Nick Easter (Harlequins).

Replacements: Lee Mears (Bath), Matt Stevens (Saracens), Tom Palmer (Stade Francais), James Haskell (Ricoh Black Rams), Danny Care (Harlequins), Charlie Hodgson (Saracens), Matt Banahan (Bath).

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2011, 04:28:49 pm »
Well done Wales, fantastic defence against a somewhat clueless England...

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2011, 05:36:38 pm »
Score lads?

Can see Ireland getting a bit of a hiding tonight.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2011, 05:54:46 pm »
Score lads?

Can see Ireland getting a bit of a hiding tonight.
19-9 Wales in spite of 2 yellows for Wales.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2011, 06:24:05 pm »
19-9 Wales in spite of 2 yellows for Wales.
Cheers, good result. Fancy going into a bit more depth about the game Jason?

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2011, 06:52:50 pm »
Cheers, good result. Fancy going into a bit more depth about the game Jason?
England hufffed and puffed but created very very little although they did have scrum and lineout dominance. Wales's defence stood up to everything England threw at them even managing to stop a penalty try after 2 successive scrum penalties. Gavin Henson had a decent half hour before going off injured. Mike Phillips had a very good game and Sam Warburton was MOTM. England had most of the possession in the first half and started well in the second but Wales came back into it and scored a try through James Hook after some good forward drives and he slipped 2 tackles before dancing over. Hook also hit 2 long range penalties to secure the win.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2011, 07:06:35 pm »
After having a look at The starting lineups I think Wales can be very happy about that result and I think it will give them a bit of a lift going into the world cup.

Also thanks for the insight Jason.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2011, 07:09:43 pm »
Saw a bit of this and England looked very ponderous. Without youngs and Ashton we lacked a bit if zip and spark. I'd also be very disappointed if that centre combo started in the world cup. I think flutey in for hape is needed at the very least.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2011, 07:13:41 pm »
Thought Ashton started Nick?

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2011, 07:21:09 pm »
Thought Ashton started Nick?
Rolled an ankle in training apparently....

In the Tri Nations a more familiar looking SA side lost to Australia but the Bokke were so rusty. Not a great game to watch...

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2011, 07:25:44 pm »
In the Tri Nations a more familiar looking SA side lost to Australia but the Bokke were so rusty. Not a great game to watch...
Saw the last 15 and wasn't very impressed. Ireland play France tonight with a weakend team so I reckon it will be hard watching for us Irish.

Offline IanMac

• Oldest under 16 in the Halliwell Jones
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2011, 11:50:02 am »
Saw a bit of this and England looked very ponderous. Without youngs and Ashton we lacked a bit if zip and spark. I'd also be very disappointed if that centre combo started in the world cup. I think flutey in for hape is needed at the very least.
Hape was a fantastic attacking centre in League but is being chastised for being too defensive in Union. I am no Union fan but why is this?  Not enough ball? Is there more pressure as the attacking opportunities with ball in hand are few and far between? He can't have gone poor overnight. You can learn defence but flair is a natural ability.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2011, 12:04:22 pm »
Hape was a fantastic attacking centre in League but is being chastised for being too defensive in Union. I am no Union fan but why is this?  Not enough ball? Is there more pressure as the attacking opportunities with ball in hand are few and far between? He can't have gone poor overnight. You can learn defence but flair is a natural ability.
England, by nature are not an expansive, attacking team. They built their game style on having the biggest, strongest, fittest forwards and they grind teams into submission. Johnson doesn't want or maybe doesn't know how to change the style which is a shame as England have some fabulous flair players.....

Offline IanMac

• Oldest under 16 in the Halliwell Jones
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2011, 12:13:36 pm »
England, by nature are not an expansive, attacking team. They built their game style on having the biggest, strongest, fittest forwards and they grind teams into submission. Johnson doesn't want or maybe doesn't know how to change the style which is a shame as England have some fabulous flair players.....
Hape was given 1/10 though by some so called journalist in the Times today. Why is he being slated so much? With the exception of Ashton, the England team have flair drilled out of them.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2011, 12:23:07 pm »
That journalist would be Stephen Jones, who is absolutely awful.  He's not worth paying attention to.  He always loves having a pop at Rugby League as well, so that'll be part of it.

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2011, 05:18:32 pm »
England don`t have a good natural captain on the pitch as shown in
the two games against Wales.
How anyone can select a that fucking brain dead big fairy Banahan
to play regular for England shows something lacking in selection.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2011, 01:14:38 pm »
big blow for england. danny care ruled out of the tournament. needs surgery on an injured toe.

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2011, 02:09:54 pm »
The Aussies have left Matt Giteau out of their WC squad which given his move to France next season pretty much is the end of his international career.

Offline frank23

• Main Stander
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2011, 03:33:08 pm »
Its hard to see a northern hemisphere team winning the world cup this year,  but fingers crossed.
The game times are a nightmare,  i wonder will any pubs be opening up for the games
Frank 23

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2011, 03:37:47 pm »
The Aussies have left Matt Giteau out of their WC squad which given his move to France next season pretty much is the end of his international career.
Good. He has been very average for a long time now and brings nothing to our team.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2011, 06:42:02 pm »
Pretty solid performance from Wales in beating Argentina at the Millennium Stadium today.
What looks like an almost first choice Irish side is currently losing to a much changed France side.
An almost full strength SA side beat a second string AB side this afternoon but if the ABs had been more clinical and finished off a couple of their excellent line breaks they would have won the game but 4 pens and 2 drop goals from Morne Steyn won the day for SA.