Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Manchester City vs Liverpool, Saturday 9/9/2017, 12.30 BST  (Read 43937 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Manchester City vs Liverpool, Saturday 9/9/2017, 12.30 BST
« Reply #40 on: September 7, 2017, 12:06:55 pm »
Always get worried about playing City and then we always seem to do pretty well anyway.  There should be lots of space for us to break in to but their attack is ridiculous and it's going to be a tough ask for us to limit their chances on the night.  Might see a more pragmatic approach from Klopp for this one.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 7, 2017, 12:08:57 pm »
Always get worried about playing City and then we always seem to do pretty well anyway.  There should be lots of space for us to break in to but their attack is ridiculous and it's going to be a tough ask for us to limit their chances on the night.  Might see a more pragmatic approach from Klopp for this one.

Doubt it. Their weakness is defensively so not sure why we would limit our possible success. We have won and played well there a few times so last thing we need to do is change our approach. Id argue that our attack is as good if not better than their's.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: September 7, 2017, 12:09:02 pm »
Great record against this lot, they won't sit back and will hopefully play into our hands. We will win 1-3.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #43 on: September 7, 2017, 12:15:55 pm »
Are we looking at a bench with Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coutinho and Sturridge on it? Will be good to see us have really exciting options.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #44 on: September 7, 2017, 12:18:57 pm »
Are we looking at a bench with Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coutinho and Sturridge on it? Will be good to see us have really exciting options.

Spot on mate. Our last bench was:

Ward
Klavan
TAA
Milner
Grujic
Solanke
Sturridge

This weekend it could well be:

Karius
Klavan
TAA/Gomez
Milner
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Coutinho
Sturridge

If TAA starts you could even ditch Klavan for Solanke and have Gomez covering all defensive positions. Either way it's much stronger than we've seen for a long time. Though I wouldn't count on Coutinho being in the squad just yet.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #45 on: September 7, 2017, 12:26:01 pm »
Nice one Y2J.

Dunno who will start in goal but im guessing Migs will take the slot with an unchanged 10 in front of him.
Would be harsh making changes to the side that demolished the arse..maybe we will see Studge in for the long journeyed Bob & the full backs rotated?

.......            .Migs.
Gomez Matip Lovren Bert.
.                   Hendo.
              Can.........Gini
     Salah.                    Mane.
                       Bob.

Karius..TAA,Klavan,Robbo,AOC,Woodburn,Phil,Gruic,Studge & Solanke challenging for subs spots.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #46 on: September 7, 2017, 12:26:02 pm »
Looking forward to our Bi-annual "make Yaya look like an absolute dinosaur" celebration again. I think if he plays we'll do well. Also feels good to have decent pace as fullback options on both sides. Strangely in spite of all their attacking options I always feel like they have more to worry about from our forwards.

2-1 us

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 7, 2017, 12:28:13 pm »
Stength in depth is actually pretty impressive, except, as we know, at CB. Assuming a starting 11 of the below:

Migs, Gomez, Matip, Lovren, Moreno, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can, Mane, Firmino, Salah.

Then we're left to choose 7 from the below:

Karius, Ward, Klavan, Trent, Robertson, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Gruijic, Milner, Woodburn, Coutinho, Sturridge, Solanke

I'd assume that Karius, Klavan, Milner and Sturridge are nailed on. This gives us cover through the spine and also options at WF/FB in Sturridge and Milner.

This leaves 3 spots to be filled from the below options:

Trent, Robertson, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Gruijic, Woodburn, Coutinho, Solanke

I guess at this point it becomes about what options Klopp wants in terms of changing the game, and covering any other points of weakness. I assume a more attacking option in the CM spots would be one way he'd look to change the game, as well as switching formation - potentially a diamond or 4231, so would assume 2 from AOC/Coutinho/Woodburn/Solanke are chosen. This is the difficult selection for me. I think Klopp may want to show Phil that he can't just walk back in, but the obvious replacement for his spot - AOC - will have had about 3 days to train with a new team, and this isn't a bottom 8 club at home. So I reckon Coutinho gets the nod for one spot. My money is on Solanke getting the nod for the other, purely because he gives us the option to bring a genuine striker on, and mix up the formation/approach if needed, plus is probably a greater goal threat than the others. So PC & Solanke means we have one spot on the bench left to fill...

The first 6 subs chosen are Karius, Klavan, Milner, Coutinho, Solanke, Sturridge:

Remaing options:

Trent, Robertson, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Gruijic, Woodburn,

I'd say we'll see one of Trent and Robertson get the nod as FB cover or to mix up our attacking threat. I think it might be Trent, purely because he offers the same quality of delivery from RB as Robertson does from LB, should we bring on a more traditional CF in Solanke and look to offer crosses and hit him directly. We'd also have cover for LB from the bench in Milner, and worst case if there's an injury in CM or similar, Gomez has covered LB before as well.

So, thinking it through, my subs prediction is:

Karius, Klavan, Trent, Milner, Coutinho, Sturridge, Solanke.

Strong cover up top and in the WF positions, excellent cover in the CM/AMC positions too. Options to change formation and approach from all of them, and adequate defensive cover.

Players not in the 18:

Robertson, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Gruijic, Woodburn,

AOC obviously becomes a much stronger option as time passes and he's integrated into the squad, but if you look at the quality in the starting 11, then the 7 on the bench, and then the 4 not in the 18. We look very well stocked for this season. Bear in mind Lallana is still out injured as well.

I think others could easily make arguments for Robertson and AOC to be part of the 11 or 18 respectively as well.

Can't remember a liverpool squad with as much strength and variety since the treble winning season under Houllier.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 7, 2017, 12:36:02 pm »
Nice Op.

Coutinho or Ox to come off the bench and win it for us in the last 10 mins. Hopefully Coutinho so I can learn to love again.
What has my poor heart ever done to you.  >:(

Offline jwill2127

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp is the man
« Reply #49 on: September 7, 2017, 12:38:06 pm »
Bet one of the starting 11 v arsenal is injured. Always a player comes back from international break injured! cant see OX not being on the bench.
Our support since 2005 is f@@@@@ @@@@

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 7, 2017, 12:44:08 pm »
Looking forward to this game, we do well against City and it is the kind of game that plays into our strengths.

Bet one of the starting 11 v arsenal is injured. Always a player comes back from international break injured! cant see OX not being on the bench.

Nobody has come back injured.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #51 on: September 7, 2017, 01:02:33 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HKVDmdjCRI0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HKVDmdjCRI0</a>
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline gaztop08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 7, 2017, 01:26:30 pm »
Have we had a our pre match conference yet..and is it scheduled for today?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #53 on: September 7, 2017, 01:38:21 pm »

Great op.

That's the exciting thing for me our bench is looking very strong now, which means we have options whoever we choose. I have a feeling we'll be unchanged and Alex and Coutinho will be coming off the benches, but two very good players who can change everything.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 7, 2017, 01:42:56 pm »
Hopefully City play a back three with a high line with lots of trying to play out from the back.

That seems to be the perfect way to let us score goals.

I'd go with

Migs

TAA     Matip      Lovren    Robertson

Henderson

Can                      Wijnaldum

Salah        Firmino          Mane

I don't see Phil starting but he needs to play as it will be easier for him to play for the first time away from home I think.

I think we'll do them 1-3.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #55 on: September 7, 2017, 01:46:11 pm »
What has my poor heart ever done to you.  >:(

The last 10 mins are the least of your hearts worries, this game will have it all. Dodgy Moreno penalty box challenges/being caught in the opposition half when we're supposed to be defending, challenges flying in,contentious decisions, Mignolet coming for corners flapping like a seagull and many many more

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #56 on: September 7, 2017, 01:50:04 pm »
I'd start AOC over Wijnaldam.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #57 on: September 7, 2017, 01:50:55 pm »
Have we had a our pre match conference yet..and is it scheduled for today?

1pm tomorrow

Offline Yanwoo

• Internet. Serious business.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #58 on: September 7, 2017, 01:52:55 pm »
Hopefully City play a back three with a high line with lots of trying to play out from the back.

That seems to be the perfect way to let us score goals.

I'd go with

Migs

TAA     Matip      Lovren    Robertson

Henderson

Can                      Wijnaldum

Salah        Firmino          Mane

I don't see Phil starting but he needs to play as it will be easier for him to play for the first time away from home I think.

I think we'll do them 1-3.

I think Klopp will go with that lineup, except with Moreno at LB.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #59 on: September 7, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »
I'd start AOC over Wijnaldam.

Why? Wij is so underrated and does so much of the dirty work.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #60 on: September 7, 2017, 01:54:45 pm »
Love the over confidence

But it's making myself nervous now !!!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 7, 2017, 01:57:13 pm »
Love the over confidence

But it's making myself nervous now !!!

They are a top side and we could quite easily lose but an away game at a side like City shouldnt carry much worry just opportunity.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 7, 2017, 01:57:29 pm »
Will there be a place for Ox or Coutinho?

Predict it will be the same team as last outing with AOC , Coutinho and Sturridge on the bench. I am betting that Moreno starts (had no international games).

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 7, 2017, 01:58:47 pm »
After another summer full of new signings, I think they're still trying to figure out what their best team is at the moment. Playing De Bruyne as a 8 is an illustration of that.

And like last year, Guardiola isn't pragmatic enough to go on the defensive. I think we'll play counterattack like we did against Arsenal, and it will work, though with the speed of the likes of Walker and Mendy, it may be a harder slog for Mane and Salah.

Moreno is well rested and will probably start, Coutinho on the bench, Mignolet back as the GK. I think our LB and RB will be the keys to this game. If TAA and Moreno start, we will be a match for whatever City throws at us.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 02:00:31 pm by Bend It Like Aurelio »

Offline Fun Lovren Criminals

• Kemlynite
  • Kloppy's Army
« Reply #64 on: September 7, 2017, 02:03:09 pm »
I dont understand why Robbo isnt nailed on at LB now, i know Kloppo is being tinker man at the back currently but we have to start the best players for each position, and he is.

We all remember Albie at City a few years back, i like the crazy fool as much as the next guy, but he isn't the best man for the job, Robbo is.
I don’t want to describe myself. I’m a totally normal guy, I came from the Black Forest. I’m the Normal One.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #65 on: September 7, 2017, 02:04:11 pm »
Is this a game to go left field? It's an away game against the title favourites. We could try something different here or wait for the League Cup and try a new formation. Pep will have his players expecting and preparing for a 4-3-3. I wonder if it's worth springing a surprise on them to try and throw them into disarray. I want Herr Klopp to spring this on a team one day:

Mig
     Gomez Lov Matip
Ox                        Moreno
          Hend  Can
               Coutinho
        Stur Solanke

I would personally decide against changing the formation for this one as we haven't had all week to prepare due to internationals. I do think we need to rest Salah and Sadio either this game or midweek - they are going to get burnt out. Speedy players need more rest as they burn out quicker due to more fast twitch muscle fibres.
For City I think we need to play on the counter. It is too early to integrate Coutinho into the first team as a starter.

Migs
TAA Matip  Lov Milner
     Hend Gini Can
Sturbridge  Solanke  Mane

This team can see us through to 70 mins and if we are not in front we can go for it in the last 20 mins by bringing on Coutinho Salah and Ox.

We need to make it difficult for them and not allow any of their ball players time in the final third. We should also be effective from set pieces with Solanke in there.

I would be happy with a draw here. Keep up our unbeaten run, we are on 5 unbeaten. Let's make it six.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 02:06:57 pm by HumanRed »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 7, 2017, 02:04:59 pm »
Should be a good game.

I'd go for:

Mignolet
     TAA.    Matip.        Lovren.      Robertson

Hendo
                   Can.              Gini

Salah.            Firmino.       Mane

Bench: Karius, Klavan, Milner, Grujic, AOC, Woodburn, Sturridge

I think that's a 18 you can trust.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #67 on: September 7, 2017, 02:11:35 pm »
Should be a good game.

I'd go for:

Mignolet

Hendo
                   Can.              Gini

Are the ones without full stops not your favourites? :)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 7, 2017, 02:11:35 pm »

I agree.

I don't want his first appearance back at Anfield.  Our fans are frosty enough as it is.

But also he's one of our best match winners.  We saw for his recent cameos for Brazil what a difference he can make.

Also as Babu has suggested in his Stats Thread, he has given Walker numerous problems over the years.

I don't see why he'd hinder our chances.  Have him on the bench and use him when needed, as he's one of our star assets.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #69 on: September 7, 2017, 02:12:14 pm »
Why? Wij is so underrated and does so much of the dirty work.

He does almost zero dirty work!!! There are reason to include him but 'doing the dirty work' especially away from home isn't one

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #70 on: September 7, 2017, 02:12:34 pm »
Should be a good game.

I'd go for:

Mignolet

Hendo
                   Can.              Gini

We need Milner's experience. Robertson is not used to games of this magnitude. And he's only been with us a few weeks. City would target him. Milner has seen this lot off before. I think Firmino needs a rest. He's had a long flight and he played with Brazil. Firmino can start midweek and get out CL campaign off to a flyer.

With this game we need to pick the players who are the freshest. We don't need to win, a draw would be a very useful point.

Offline Yanwoo

• Internet. Serious business.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #71 on: September 7, 2017, 02:15:46 pm »
We need Milner's experience. Robertson is not used to games of this magnitude. And he's only been with us a few weeks. City would target him. Milner has seen this lot off before. I think Firmino needs a rest. He's had a long flight and he played with Brazil. Firmino can start midweek and get out CL campaign off to a flyer.

With this game we need to pick the players who are the freshest. We don't need to win, a draw would be a very useful point.

I really don't think we're going to see Milner starting at LB anytime soon, except if both Moreno and Robertson aren't available

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 7, 2017, 02:21:52 pm »
If everyone's fit and free from from jet lag I don't see why the team against Arsenal can't start.

Phil on the bench. Maybe even Woodburn on the bench purely because his confidence must be sky high
I think that's exactly what we'll go with.  Maybe Trent instead of Gomez at RB but otherwise an unchanged side.  Coutinho, Chamberlain, Sturridge, Milner, Gomez, Klavan, Karius on the bench gives the manager a lot of options to change the game if needed. 

Offline BigTroubleInLittleChina

• Main Stander
« Reply #73 on: September 7, 2017, 02:38:58 pm »
He does almost zero dirty work!!! There are reason to include him but 'doing the dirty work' especially away from home isn't one

Well, from the games i`ve seen, he does more dirtywork than most. So lets agree to disagree, and play Gini over AOC come Saturday ;)
The way she goes, boys.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #74 on: September 7, 2017, 02:45:27 pm »
Phil to score the winner off the bench from a free-kick. You heard it here first.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 7, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »
Should be a good game.

I'd go for:

Mignolet

Hendo
                   Can.              Gini

I don't see how Woodburn gets in ahead of Solanke on the bench. I would be surprised.
Edit: cannot see Moreno not starting. His pace against Walker will be a critical prerequisite in that duel.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 05:20:39 pm by nico 8 »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 7, 2017, 03:10:37 pm »
Are the ones without full stops not your favourites? :)

Ha.

It's me phone actually, wont let me put a few spaces in between without automatically adding a full stop

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 7, 2017, 03:16:01 pm »
Win and we go top!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #78 on: September 7, 2017, 03:18:38 pm »
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/274443-melwood-photos-internationals-return-for-city-preparations

Training ground pics for anyone interested. Coutinho back in first team training as if nothing ever happened. Great to see that. Gives us a boost ahead of the City trip. Not like we needed one.  ;D

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #79 on: September 7, 2017, 03:30:38 pm »
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/274443-melwood-photos-internationals-return-for-city-preparations

Training ground pics for anyone interested. Coutinho back in first team training as if nothing ever happened. Great to see that. Gives us a boost ahead of the City trip. Not like we needed one.  ;D

He's only chillin and talking to Moreno; probably thinks he can make him the scapegoat for everything. :D
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.