Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Manchester City vs Liverpool, Saturday 9/9/2017, 12.30 BST  (Read 43943 times)

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
MATCH PREVIEW: Manchester City vs Liverpool, Saturday 9/9/2017, 12.30 BST.

Stadium:

Etihad stadium, built in 2002 for the Commonwealth games, it was converted to a football specific stadium a year later and has been the home for Man City ever since the 2003-04 season. Originally, the City of Manchester Stadium, the name was changed after the Abu Dhabi Group took control of City. It has underwent a lot of renovations since then, expanding the capacity to approximately 55,000 spectators.

Match Preview:

It has been a fixture of constant entertainment and important victories for the Merseysiders in recent years. From coming back from 2-0 down at half time to winning it 3-2 at the final whistle in 2008-09, to the second leg of the 2011-12 Carling cup semi final in Anfield when Craig Bellamy showed his former club what they were missing after selling him to Liverpool, five months prior, to the 3-2 victory at Anfield and that Coutinho goal when we all thought number 19 was coming home, to the 4-1 victory at the Etihad where Roberto Firmino scored his first league goal for Liverpool, this fixture has always lived up to the hype.

Last season's games between these two clubs were enthralling encounters to say the least and the scoreline didn't reflect the quality of football provided. Gini Wijnaldum's header gave Jurgen Klopp's men a massive victory on new year's eve while the reverse fixture saw an end to end 1-1 draw that could have went anywhere (looking at you, Adam Lallana ;) ). The two teams have, in my opinion, the two most entertaining managers in world football, and you can expect an open game with both teams trying to reach their 10th point in the campaign.

City started the season with a win against the newly promoted Brighton & Hove Albion, drew at home against Everton and nicked it at the end away at Bournemouth in a game which saw Raheem Sterling gets his second yellow for excessive celebrations of his winner, thus, missing the game against his former club. Liverpool started the campaign with a 3-3 draw at Watford, that should have been a win, however they recovered by beating Crystal Palace at home to a Sadio Mane winner, then demolishing Arsenal 4-0, in a game that showed everything that is good about The Reds under Jurgen Klopp.

Key Players:

David Silva

He might be getting old, slower and he even shaved his head bald, but David Silva is still as classy as he has ever been for City, he is the player that I enjoy watching the most from this lot and despite his age (31 now), he is still at the heart of every City attack, dictating the tempo from midfield along with Kevin De Bryune. If Liverpool were to win this game, their midfield must do a good job of stopping these two from creating opportunities to Gabriel Jesus.

Sadio Mane

A lot was made out of the Phillipe Coutinho transfer saga in the summer and how Liverpool will miss their key man should Coutinho leave at the end of the window (which never happened), in reality though, Liverpool have barely missed Coutinho so far, in part because of how good their midfield operated, especially in the games against Hoffenheim and against Arsenal, but mostly it is down to how good Sadio Mane has been for Jurgen Klopp's men. He scored 3 goals in 3 league games for Liverpool, including an inside curler by his right foot from the left flank against Arsenal that should have been goal of the month, in my opinion, but also his movement and creativity alongside his two partners in crime Firmino & Salah, have confused opposition defenders to no end. Best case scenario of how good he is was against Hoffenheim when Julian Naglesmann had to make a change after half an hour to stop Mane from bombarding their right flank. Whether it is Walker or Danilo, whoever plays on the right for City has got a busy day ahead on Saturday.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 09:30:43 am by Titi Camara »
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Manchester City vs Liverpool, Saturday 9/9/2017, 12.30 BST
« Reply #1 on: September 7, 2017, 09:31:50 am »
Magic that buddy, cheers :wave

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #2 on: September 7, 2017, 09:43:55 am »
nice OP

I predict goals on Saturday!

That's as far as it goes......do not know who will come out on top but am sure it will be every bit as entertaining as our last game there.

We have every chance of winning but I'm gonna keep my powder dry on this one and say that anything but a loss is fine here (which is true at this stage of the season)

we sneak this 2-1 is what i'll just throw out there
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Zebs

• Kemlynite
  • Reasonable Yernited fan.
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: September 7, 2017, 09:58:33 am »
Really looking forward to this game, there's likely going to be goals galore considering the attacking prowess and relative defensive weakness on show at both ends of the pitch.

Now that I've said that, it'll probably finish 0-0, which I'd be happy with.

Offline GIPPO77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 7, 2017, 10:00:20 am »
Will there be a place for Ox or Coutinho?
YNWA

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #5 on: September 7, 2017, 10:00:37 am »
No question this is a tough game although City do seem to be a bit 'Jeykll and Hyde' and you are never quite sure who is going to start the game for them. Even how they set up is sometimes a mystery. I don`t anticipate any major changes for us and suspect that Coutinho will be on the bench. It seems pretty obvious that there will be goals which so much attacking talent on display. City have some pretty pacey full backs so I expect Mane and Salah will have to be at their best to beat their man using pure pace.

If I am honest I would probably take the draw now - logic dictates that would be a good result, but I cannot help feeling that we will win this one. There is something about our attacking play that will confuse and baffle even the best sides and I just think we are capable of putting a few past them. If we can continue the recent defensive form, and have a few less heart in the mouth moments (please !!), then we are perfectly capable of beating them. I expect Mane to have another belter of a game. City are not going to sit back, their rhythm and patient build up play will be difficult with our pressing game.

I am predicting a 2-1 victory for us and cannot wait for this one. Detest the international break. I am watching this with my little nephew who is very excited about watching the game with his uncle and am looking forward to continue his education of footy banter and debate.

Come on red men !!!!
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 7, 2017, 10:04:54 am »
What the fuck. That's the first I've seen/heard of David Silva's bald head and it caught me way off guard.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 7, 2017, 10:10:09 am »
Looking forward to this.

2 teams with similar strengths and weaknesses.

I suspect we'll sit back and look to counter. Dare I say it but I think it might be a  drab game with internationals and players being rested for Europe. Both managers would be happy with a point.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #8 on: September 7, 2017, 10:12:44 am »
For me, City-Liverpool over the past half-decade has consistently been the most entertaining fixture in the league. Both sides generally play football the 'right' way and there's been some real classics along the way, from the Oh No Skrtel! 2-2 in Rodgers' first game, to the Coutinhooo! 3-2 when it looked like we were going to pip them to the league, to the 1-4 at their place which gave us our first glimpse at just how boss Jurgen was going to be for us. Even the 1-1 last season was more like a 4-4 in nature!

I wouldn't expect this to be too different, though with it being earlier in the season it won't be as definitive as some of those matches and it may be slightly cagier. I'd bite your hands off for a draw to remain level with them as I suspect it'll be a very difficult place to go this season, but really any outcome wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not sure what everyone's fitness is like, but I'd expect to see an unchanged side from the Arsenal game, except with Mignolet coming in for Karius. It would be great to have Coutinho and Oxlade-Chamberlain on the bench, though.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #9 on: September 7, 2017, 10:17:29 am »
Nice Op.

Coutinho or Ox to come off the bench and win it for us in the last 10 mins. Hopefully Coutinho so I can learn to love again.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #10 on: September 7, 2017, 10:19:37 am »
Nice Op.

Coutinho or Ox to come off the bench and win it for us in the last 10 mins. Hopefully Coutinho so I can learn to love again.

This. I'm willing to bet good money coutinhos gonna come off the bench on the 70th and score a free kick on the 85th to win us the game. He always scores against them

It just feels like the universe is aligned for this to happen.

The villain becomes a hero again.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 7, 2017, 10:20:31 am »
For me, City-Liverpool over the past half-decade has consistently been the most entertaining fixture in the league. Both sides generally play football the 'right' way and there's been some real classics along the way, from the Oh No Skrtel! 2-2 in Rodgers' first game, to the Coutinhooo! 3-2 when it looked like we were going to pip them to the league, to the 1-4 at their place which gave us our first glimpse at just how boss Jurgen was going to be for us. Even the 1-1 last season was more like a 4-4 in nature!

I wouldn't expect this to be too different, though with it being earlier in the season it won't be as definitive as some of those matches and it may be slightly cagier. I'd bite your hands off for a draw to remain level with them as I suspect it'll be a very difficult place to go this season, but really any outcome wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not sure what everyone's fitness is like, but I'd expect to see an unchanged side from the Arsenal game, except with Mignolet coming in for Karius. It would be great to have Coutinho and Oxlade-Chamberlain on the bench, though.

If we'd won the league, or if city had won that 3-2 game it would be seen as one of the greatest in the PL era. Instead it gets overshadowed a bit  :(

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 7, 2017, 10:26:18 am »
Tough game.  But City won't be looking forward to facing us and our brand of football.

Mignolet back in goals, as Klopp confirmed after the Arsenal match.

RB & LB - would be happy with either TAA / Gomez or Robertson / Moreno.  All playing well.

CBs, Matip and Lovren will probably continue together after Arsenal.  But I wouldn't be opposed to Klavan starting over Lovren.

I think Klopp will continue with the midfield and front three that demolished Arsenal. 

Ox & Coutinho coming off the bench with 30 minutes to go.  One going in CM, one going in the front three (probably Ox in CM & Coutinho in the front three).

Nice to have lots of options, but I feel it will be the side very close to the one that played against Arsenal.

If there is to be a surprise, maybe Milner will start somewhere, as he'll be fresh after the international break, which is why I think Moreno will get the nod over Robertson.  But really Henderson, Wijnaldum and Can deserve to all start after that Arsenal match.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 7, 2017, 10:28:59 am »
Mane---Firmino---Salah

---Coutinho----Emre----

----------Henderson------

Moreno---Lovren--Matip---J.Gomez.

subs - Karius,Trent, Klavan, Oxlade-Chamberlain,Milner,Sturridge, Gini -> left out - Solanke, Woodburn, Grujic, Robertson, Ejaria. Shows our strength in depth now. Apart from central defence, I feel we have lots of depth now.

This is the side most probably which will be picked. If Coutinho is not picked for whatever reason, then Gini will replace him I feel.

This will be tougher for City than they are anticipating, and they are not anticipating an easy game. But, I feel they will still be surprised.

« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 10:30:31 am by Carra-ton »
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 7, 2017, 10:29:42 am »
Really looking forward to this game, there's likely going to be goals galore considering the attacking prowess and relative defensive weakness on show at both ends of the pitch.

Now that I've said that, it'll probably finish 0-0, which I'd be happy with.

I've no idea how it finished 1-1 at theirs last season, could easily have been 3-3, 4-4.

There was a stat recently where it said in all Klopp's league games against the top 6 we haven't conceded more than 1 goal in a game (I think?). Which is weird given the quality of the opposition and the amount of attacking we do

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 7, 2017, 10:29:52 am »
City have looked a bit ponderous at times so far this season and i think Klopp has the measure of Guardiola. His team's tend to play into our hands and I think we'll counter the shit out of them. 2-1 Liverpool, M&S scoring the goals, following which we'll be talked up as rightful title contenders.

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 7, 2017, 10:32:00 am »
Mane---Firmino---Salah

---Coutinho----Emre----

----------Henderson------

Moreno---Lovren--Matip---J.Gomez.

subs - Karius,Trent, Klavan, Oxlade-Chamberlain,Milner,Sturridge, Gini -> left out - Solanke, Woodburn, Grujic, Robertson, Ejaria. Shows our strength in depth now. Apart from central defence, I feel we have lots of depth now.

This is the side most probably which will be picked. If Coutinho is not picked for whatever reason, then Gini will replace him I feel.

I'd be gobsmacked if Coutihno started, although it would be great to see him on the bench. Think that's also unlikely till at least next weekend

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 7, 2017, 10:36:29 am »
I'd be gobsmacked if Coutihno started, although it would be great to see him on the bench. Think that's also unlikely till at least next weekend

Yep, can't see a world where he starts. Coutinho and Oxlade-Chamberlain on the bench. Add in Solanke and that's three lads who can really come on an influence the game.

Be interesting to see what system they play against us. They've played three at the back and 4-3-3 at times this season, right?

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #18 on: September 7, 2017, 10:38:00 am »
It is a good time to face them after the international break instead of a team in the bottom of the table as they are also full of Internationals who have travelled for World Cup Qualifying games, just like us.

Our away form of late has been quite good against the big clubs and our strength on the counter-attack must be terrifying for most teams.

If we take control of Midfield, both central and wide, we should be able to get something out of this game. Especially with Coutinho & The Ox available to come off the bench.

Bring it on.
Doubters to Believers

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 7, 2017, 10:44:16 am »
Reckon this will be a lot like when Chelsea went there last season. City were generally on top and had a lot of the ball but then got absolutely killed on the counter in the last half an hour. I can see Mane and Salah doing the same here, especially if Otamendi plays as he's a liability.

3-1 to us.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 7, 2017, 10:45:23 am »
Think this will be goals galore. 3-4 to the reds of course.

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 7, 2017, 10:46:23 am »
I've no idea how it finished 1-1 at theirs last season, could easily have been 3-3, 4-4.

There was a stat recently where it said in all Klopp's league games against the top 6 we haven't conceded more than 1 goal in a game (I think?). Which is weird given the quality of the opposition and the amount of attacking we do

Apart from the Arsenal 4-3 I think you're right.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 7, 2017, 10:49:52 am »
Not expecting this to be a good match or for either side to play at a high intensity due to

1. International fixtures
2. early kick off

We also have Champions League in midweek next week, so how Klopp assesses the side and priotirizes, will be interesting to see. In all honesty I would be happy with a point taking those things into consideration.

If coutinho doesn't start I imagine he will against Sevilla.

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: September 7, 2017, 10:54:03 am »
So apparently Kompany has a calf knock/strain and could be out on Saturday. Massive if true.

Offline Koplad83

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: September 7, 2017, 11:00:39 am »
What the fuck. That's the first I've seen/heard of David Silva's bald head and it caught me way off guard.

I thought they had resigned Stephen Ireland when I first saw him!

Online harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #25 on: September 7, 2017, 11:01:34 am »
Expect Pep to go long ball as he usually does against Klopp. Which i always find amusing.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 7, 2017, 11:06:28 am »
I think the front 6 & CBs will remain unchanged for this, barring any injuries/knocks from the international break, though there's an outside chance that Klavan comes in for Lovren. Think this would be harsh though as Lovren had his best games of the season against Arsenal for my money.

It's the full-back positions that are most interesting in terms of selection to me. I think we'll start Gomez again at RB as he had a very good game against Arsenal, is more defensively minded, and probably capable, than Trent. City work those wide areas really well and I think Trent struggled at times against Hoffenheim when they doubled up and worked overloads. This means that trent then comes in for the Sevilla game in midweek - where we face a team we're expected to beat at home. That's how I'd play the right side.

As for the left side, well, Babu showed after the Hoffenheim game how Klopp was willing to gamble with leaving Mane pushed up high against a 3 man defence and trust Moreno to defend the space that will be left. I think we'll see that again in an attempt to make Walker think twice about continuously bombing on. Add to this, he's the quickest FB in the league apparently, so would make sense to play our fastest LB in an attempt to counter this as best as possible. Then Robertson comes in for Sevilla at home, again, a weaker opposition, and one that may sit back deeper. I think the quality of his delivery and 'playmaking' will be a better weapon for us in that fixture than Moreno's pace. You need space to run into, and I think there'll be more for Albie in the City game.

City will come at us. They'll have significant spells of possession and will probe and test our lines. Our concentration, defensive positioning and intelligence will need to be excellent. If we perform well in those aspects, then we'll have a very good chance to take the points in my opinion. City fans would probably argue they owe us one, but we seem to be somewhat of a bogey team for them. Especially at home where I think we're built to counter their approach.

Ultimately, this city team is one that could easily blow any team away on their day, but so are we. There's no real logic to my feeling, but the feeling is that we'll win, and win well, by 2-3 goals.

I'll go 3-1 Liverpool and Coutinho to come off the bench to score the 3rd.

Up the almighty reds.

Offline Jeieli

• Gino Oh Gino Gin-nel-leee
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #27 on: September 7, 2017, 11:06:37 am »
Stephen Ireland back in the fold?

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #28 on: September 7, 2017, 11:07:25 am »
Hopefully we'll get an early goal and then sit tight absorbing the pressure and then we'll get lots of opportunities on the counter.

Solanke, Sturridge, Coutinho, or Ox coming off the bench will win it for us.
#JFT97

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 7, 2017, 11:23:34 am »
I think they might play 2 up front, go direct and look for the strikers to attack the channels between full back and centre backs.

Whatever they do though, I think we will batter them.

Offline greg9r

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #30 on: September 7, 2017, 11:28:27 am »
Hope City go for 3 at the back...

Team:
Migs
TAA Matip Lovren Robertson
Can Henderson Gini
Salah Firmino Mané

Hopefully some good options from the bench in Ox, Coutinho, Sturridge, Milner ... (Wow, we are up for a strong bench, love that!)

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: September 7, 2017, 11:31:27 am »
Expect Pep to go long ball as he usually does against Klopp. Which i always find amusing.

He's got a special weapon in Ederson this time around. He can pinpoint passes to the opposition box with precision.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #32 on: September 7, 2017, 11:33:11 am »
I think City have started a bit sluggishly, but done well to pick up points - when you have their quality, then you can afford to be poor and still win games. I am not sure if they have found their balance yet - especially in midfield. We know they have a glut of attacking players but balancing that up, especially when playing 3 at the back, looks like a struggle for them at the minute. Fernandinho hasn't started the season well, Gundogan hasn't played any competitive minutes this season, Toure the same I think - they look so top heavy in there with Bernardo Silva / De Bruyne / Silva supplementing Fernandinho. I think this is partly why Bournemouth and Everton have given them a real test this season.

It will be interesting to see if he sticks with 3-5-2 - perhaps it depends on Kompany's fitness. He didn't play for Belgium with a leg injury, and there are rumours that he is a doubt. Playing against LFC, 3-5-2 suits the opposition, but for their own attack, and width, they will think that this is potentially a good way to get at Liverpool, as they will see our fullbacks as a weakness - a young inexperienced RB, or a young, primarily a central defender at RB and a new LB or a marauding, all-or-nothing LB in Moreno or inexperience in Robertson. Walker has had a great start to his City career, sending off aside, he looks like a great fit for them. I haven't seen much of Mendy, bar CL, but he seems to be a very good player too, so I don't know what impact moving to a 4 at the back would have for City, perhaps allowing them to play Fernandinho and Toure together? Maybe slows them down a tad but gives more balance. Otherwise, without Kompany, they are left with moving a midfielder into the back 3 or playing Mangala? Or maybe Danilo?

I think our front 6 pick themselves, as long as there are no injuries or knocks from the International break. That midfield 3 of Henderson, Can and Wjinaldum know what they are doing in these type of games. They have the experience now and thankfully, Henderson and Gini have worked themselves into better form.

Mignolet comes back in - that has been confirmed. Matip and Lovren pick themselves but what happens at full back? As with Arsenal, I think Gomez playing there as a centre back at RB, served us quite well. He was solid and whilst wasn't overly tested, I think he would have taken a lot of confidence from that performance, and being given the England U21 captaincy, I would keep him there. He will have Mendy and probably Sane to contend with - I would start him in truth. At LB, I think Moreno will start - he seems to have been given a clean slate and imo, he has taken his chance really well. Robertson had a very good game v Palace but his lack of experience would worry me. I don't think we will see Milner back at LB in a hurry and I wouldn't want him and Gomez starting on opposite flanks - we don't want to get penned in.

Disappointing that the International break occurred for us, we were purring. A lot of travelling, especially for the front 3, isn't helpful but City will have the same problems. They wouldn't have wanted the International break either - you felt that last minute win v Bournemouth could have kick started something for them. Maybe it will prove to be the case.

Pep seems to like the Sterling / Sane / Jesus front line, because they are quick, they press and transition really quickly. Without Sterling, do they move De Bruyne or Silva out? Or maybe get Aguero and Jesus on the pitch? Think their team selection will be really, really interesting. Does he give LFC the respect our front 3 deserve and look to be a bit pragmatic or does he put all his eggs in their attacking basket?

Personally, Coutinho is nowhere near this game for me - not a chance should he start and I wouldn't have him on the bench. I just don't think we need the circus. We need to integrate him asap but with minimum fuss and with discretion. I hope Klopp in his pre-match press conference confirms one way or the other. And if he won't be involved, say when he will be, to kill the speculation. If he is in line v Sevilla, then say so.

No idea which way this will go. We have a great record in these games - we can take so much confidence from that, that Klopp can get us prepared for this type of game and we are capable of winning, whilst Pep's record in these big games are poor and I think City's record in general is. They can beat anyone, as can we. We should expect goals but then we saw twice last season that we cancelled each other out, with us marginally winning the home game.

Confident we will give a very good account of ourselves.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 11:37:54 am by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: September 7, 2017, 11:46:45 am »
Surprised by how many people expect Coutinho to play a part in this game and some even calling for him to start. There's no way I'd be starting him ahead of any of our front 6 in this game.

I'd be amazed if he was anywhere near the squad to be honest. Think Klopp will keep him out for another few weeks yet, he hasn't even had a training session with the first team since his 'back injury' in the first week of August.

Anyway, think it's a good time for us to play them. Expecting an unchanged team from the Arsenal game. Slightly worried about our fullbacks in this game as City have a lot of fast tricky players. Expecting Moreno to start for his pace and Gomez at RB as he was solid against Arsenal.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #34 on: September 7, 2017, 11:47:56 am »
City going 3 at the back would be suicide given our pace on the wings with Salah & Mane, I hope they do it but I'm not sure Pep is that stupid. I think he'll congest the midfield and I wouldn't be surprised to see Gundogan return for this one or Yaya Toure to make up a 5 man midfield behind a lone striker (although doubtful either have the energy these days to double up with the full backs on Mane or Salah all game long). Mendy and Danilo are going to be in a world of shit either way as neither appear to be quick and are going to rely on cover from midfield/whoever plays that anchorman role in front of the back 4. 

I hope the rumours that Kompany is out are true as he makes a massive difference for them defensively, without him they are basically us at the back and lack a real leader/commander.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 7, 2017, 11:51:26 am »
What an opportunity here we have to really make a statement. with the early game against the title favourites.  Before anyone says it, I know we performed against these teams last season and it was the "small" teams that threw us throughout the season, but I don't care. New season. New hopes. Firmino the main man for me in this one.
I wonder who we will see in nets. I would guess Mignolet and we might see Karis more at home games, but who knows. Coutinho to come back in, Ox to play - lots of interesting stories building up. Great the league games are back isn't it, Would absolutely love a win here, but I have a feeling it will be a 2-2 draw

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 7, 2017, 11:59:21 am »
City looked woeful against Bournemouth, and if they played like that again we'd win comfortably. However, I think they'll show up for this game and it'll be a tight affair. I'm thinking 1-1 - but heart is telling me Jurgs will do the business again and get us a win.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #37 on: September 7, 2017, 11:59:59 am »
So are we expecting a 9-7 scoreline here? Come at us, Pep. come at us.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 7, 2017, 12:00:54 pm »
I have a gut feeling that it'll be a Coutinho winner again. Just a gut feeling mind you that could very well turn out to be indigestion.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 7, 2017, 12:04:39 pm »
If everyone's fit and free from from jet lag I don't see why the team against Arsenal can't start.

Phil on the bench. Maybe even Woodburn on the bench purely because his confidence must be sky high
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.