Author Topic: Emile Heskey  (Read 83732 times)

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
Emile Heskey
« on: February 7, 2002, 05:48:55 pm »
Yet again the comments on these pages return my thoughts to Emile Heskey. Emile produced one his best performances, as a Liverpool player last weekend, yet still appears to be the subject of mocking comments, from some quarters.

It is now nearly two years since Emile signed as a 21-year striker, with undoubted raw talent, but not a regular goalscorer. He was a regular in the Leicester first team, and had represented his country at numberous of levels, including full international. Houllier had first seen Emile playing in an under-17 tournament for England, against France, and had been so impressed that he continued to monitor his development until he was convinced enough to pay £11 million for him. This was no panic buy, it was the purchase that had been planned for months, if not years, and one which was made for the long haul rather than for immediate glorification.

After a settling-in period, Emile started last season in great form and went on to produce such a consistent level of performance that he became the only forward to start all three cup-finals, as well as producing easily his best return in terms of goals. Many Liverpool fans, myself included, we sceptical, to say the least, of his ability to provide an alternative to Fowler as Owen’s strike partner.

His form lay this theory to rest. Houllier’s confidence in the player was there for all to see and Emile obviously felt at home in his new surroundings “I always knew what I was capable of. Obviously I’m always working on my game and the manager has worked on little things with me. But there isn’t much difference in my game.”
“The main thing now is confidence. With confidence you can perform a lot better.” Explained Heskey.
The relationship between the manager and Emile is patently close, as overwhelmingly illustrated during the managers brief stay at Melwood last week. The manager shares a bond with Heskey, and he knows that the manager has confidence in him. "I think I’m basically the same player who was at Leicester but with the different players around me and the confidence it has all fallen into place. The boss is always taking me to one side and having a quiet word about little things in my game whereas at Leicester Martin (O’Neill) was more of a motivator. They both have similar ideas about the game but Gerard takes me aside for specific one-on-one coaching on certain aspects of my game, which has helped me a lot” Explained Emile.

His form, was such last season, that in December, there was uproar at his omission from the starting line-up, which GH had to defend in press conference "We have five important games in just 15 days and Emile has already played in the first two (against Charlton and Olympiakos). We need to have everybody fit. Are you saying that Michael and Robbie are not Premiership players?"

A far cry, from the response of some fans when he was left out of the game against Birmingham recently, barely twelve months (and five trophies later).

Saturdays opposing manager can certainly see positives in Emile’s play, after Emile’s goal at Ipswich last season earned us a draw Burley pondered:
“He's still young and, as Gerard Houllier has said, he's probably not the finished article yet. But he's got so much quality and great attributes he's strong, quick and can score goals so he's really an exceptional talent.

He's strong and physical, centre-halves know they are playing against him. He's certainly going to have a big future for the England team."

At the end of the season Gerrard reflected over Emile’s performances, attitude and opportunities for improvement:

“"What can Emile do to improve? Well, at times he should probably have more self-belief and more confidence in front of goal," said Houllier. "Maybe in a season he will be able to have that confidence, which all strikers need.

He should be more clinical, like Robbie Fowler. When there is a ball in the box, Robbie scores. Emile isn't there yet. Yes, he has scored 20 goals for us and one for England this season. But he has missed a lot as well it should be more."

He obviously believes that an influx of “self-belief” in Heskey could transform him from a good striker to a world class one.

This season started reasonably enough for Emile, and his form was good enough for not too many people to be interested in his lack of goals. A fine goal in the Super Cup, against the European champions, where he waltzed between two defenders before slotting calmly passed Khan showed the qualities that Emile possesses.

Under Erickson, Emile has established himself as a regular with England. Prior to Germany game Rudi Voller identified Emile as his biggest worry, magnified by his performance and goal against Bayern Munich. John Barnes enthused about Heskey “they will also fear his pace along with his power and aggression.”

As for his partner, on that occasion, and many others for Liverpool  Owen said: "I've no doubt that Emile can cause problems to any player he plays against. When he's playing well, there are not many people who can stop him.

He's got pace and strength, a great combination, and no defence will relish playing against him.

I don't think the Germans will relish facing a few of our strikers but Emile can strike the fear of God into anyone when he is playing well.

Different strikers do have different attributes but I think Germany will be fearful of Emile especially as some of them played against him last week when he showed what he can do.”
It is also obvious that Michael relishes playing alongside Heskey.

That night was probably the start of his barren goal-scoring run at club level, and losing Houllier for so long has clearly had a negative effect on him. He has kept on plugging away and undoubtedly always gives his all. One of the problems that Emile has is that his aerial ability combined with Michael’s pace are too often an easy option for other players, especially if they are under pressure. This has led to an over-reliance on the long ball especially at Anfield, rather than perfecting the counter attacking style we used successfully last season.

Emile has often performed better when the midfield have got forward quicker, and played in more advanced positions leaving Didi to patrol in front of the defence. His performances, both home and away against Man United, drew on his ability to bring the ball down and bring other players into the game, as well as flicking on longer balls. In both of these games he was outstanding, and contributed fully to the victory without hitting the net.

Emile did, however, play an important role in leading us to the top of the table earlier in the season, as well as putting in some impressive performances in Europe, where defenders are regularly in fear of him. He has always worked hard and, unlike some players going through a barren spell, has never hidden.  

I was thrilled with Emile’s performance on Saturday and delighted for him with his two-goal return. Prior to the game Phil Thompson noted  "Emile has had some criticism but to us he has done a great job. When we went to the top of the League he played a major part - and he still wasn't scoring goals then. People should ask why Michael Owen has scored such a lot of goals and look at who is creating the space and taking the weight off Michael."

Afterwards he took a swipe at some knockers, he said: "I keep having to champion his cause. But I shouldn't have to if people knew football a bit better.

He has been outstanding for us. Even when we went top of the league and he wasn't scoring goals he played an exceptional part in our triumphs.

What you get with Emile is that he never hides, but because he hasn't scored many goals he wasn't getting too many mentions.

But his performances have been fantastic for the team and for the club. He deserved his goals today. He worked hard for them."

It is becoming increasingly clear that Phil has as much faith in Emile as the manager does. Heskey is a strong player who has undoubtedly been low on confidence recently. Emile himself has identified the improvement in his form from Leicester to Liverpool as being down to confidence and his relationship with Houlllier- both have been missing recently. Judges as good as Houllier, Thomson, O’Neil and Errickson appear to think that he is both a good footballer and an asset to their football teams. Both Houllier and Errickson also appear to believe that Heskey is the best foil for Michael Owen’s undoubted gifts.  

Many shrewd judges appear to have a belief in Emile’s strengths and abilities, that is lacking in some Liverpool fans. I have an unshakeable belief that Gerrard Houllier will make us the greatest team in Europe again, and central to his plans is the role of Emile Heskey.
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Emile Heskey - Hero or Villian?
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2002, 06:16:12 pm »
Hero.

Interesting to remember Owen being left out of the Worthy Final less than a year ago. People questioned whether he was burnt out, too injury-prone, too reliant on pace alone.

Some even suggested his career was close to an end.

Fowler scored that day, and he was the hero.

Three months on and he won the Cup for us.

He scored a hatrick against Germany, in Germany.

He won European footballer of the Year, the most presitigious personal prize in football.

He has become the most feared striker in Europe, and Liverpool's undisputed number 1.

All within a year.

Houllier knows what he's doing. As you said, our record buy wasnt a whim. Far from it. Heskey's regular partner for England youth teams? Thats right, Michael Owen.

Houllier has had the partnership of Owen and Heskey planned for a long time.

He believes it is the forward line that follows in the natural line of great Liverpool FC partnerships up front.

I feel that Emile and Michael at Liverpool is some kind of destiny. Part of Houllier's master-plan.

"And now with Gerard Houllier,
The glory days are here to stay,
With Heskey and Owen in attack,
The Championship is coming back."

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2002, 06:18:41 pm »
;D

Pheeny

« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2002, 07:17:43 pm »

"And now with Gerard Houllier,
The glory days are here to stay,
With Heskey and Owen in attack,
The Championship is coming back."

;D

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2002, 08:28:12 pm »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;DDamn Right! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Steve C

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2002, 12:57:10 am »
Again.

Owen and Heskey show their high quality.

As a partnership, and individually, they were simply incredible today.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2002, 02:28:23 am »
2 goals each today!  :D  :D
7 goals together in 2 games... things are looking good!  :wave:

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2002, 02:30:45 am »
Cant reasd the full post right now but deffo

[size=20]HERO[/size]

Offline Dan_L

• WANTED: For crimes against Carpets & Curtains
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2002, 02:06:44 pm »
IMENSE yesterday along with the whole of the team.

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
  • The Peoples' Republic Of Liverpool
Emile Heskey
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2001, 03:44:56 pm »
Some c*nt called Turgel has just appeared.

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/Forum3/HTML/017347.html

Spouting shite about Heskey saying he's shit.

I've never realised how shite that forum actually is.
WE ARE THE KOPITES, WE ALL WENT TO ROME...WE ALL WENT TO WEST HAM WHILE THE ROAD END STAYED AT HOME!

Offline Kitch

• Main Stander
Re: Emile Heskey / Official LFC Forum
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2001, 03:56:25 pm »
Another fine example of a complete  :wanker:!! Now I remember why I stopped going to that goddamned page :no:
Far too many cretinous fuckwits that wouldn't know a good footballer if he kicked them squarely in the knackers >:(
That's nice, that's McDermott and that's a goal!!!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2001, 03:57:00 pm »
I've never realised how shite that forum actually is.

Really???

Are you "Sefton207-er"??

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2001, 04:00:16 pm »
The kid,

It's a safe bet he is.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2001, 04:02:35 pm »
God theyre a lot of thugs in Sefton arent they!

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2001, 04:03:04 pm »
Yer I am 'Sefton-207er'

Like the way I advertise this site at the bottom of my posts but the moderator edits it out for some reason.
There wouldn't be a rift between the two sites now would there ?
WE ARE THE KOPITES, WE ALL WENT TO ROME...WE ALL WENT TO WEST HAM WHILE THE ROAD END STAYED AT HOME!

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2001, 04:05:00 pm »
The Kid, are you from Maghull ?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2001, 04:07:47 pm »
:P thats the one  :P

I saw that edit - people can still use it like but just not click it!
How come they do that anyway the nob eds - Liverpool is Liverpool, all sites should be welcome!

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2001, 04:11:01 pm »
Do u live down Rosslyn ?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2001, 04:13:31 pm »
Fuck me ive got a stalker!!!

You know Rosslyn coz of Rachael Devlin right?

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2001, 04:17:34 pm »
Yer the Devlins. She's quite a tasty piece her.
Reminds me of Jordan, big tits, will do anything for you (I mean anything :o)
Think I might have another night with her over the festive period ;)
I'm sittin off in Dodds Lane now bored off me skull.

Do u get vouchers of some feller called Geoff ?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2001, 04:21:06 pm »
She aint to my tastes really, she was with one of me mates for a bit tho.
I dont know any Geoff tho, where does he live?

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2001, 04:22:35 pm »
Go to Chat mate.

Fergal McCarthy

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2001, 06:31:50 pm »
well then, tell me of how great he is then sefton, did u c the fulham match ?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2001, 06:38:06 pm »
I saw the Fulham match and wont have a bad word said against Heskey. Seftom was there i assume too being a season ticket holder!
Where you at the match Fergal?

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2001, 12:12:39 pm »
Last night I told them to stick theyre E-Season Tickets up there arses and said I'd rather have me real one anyday because they got me so angry, one of the wankers started going on about Stpehane Henchoz spells trouble for Sami Hyypia.

Do any of you think Hyypia would be he same player if he had Kvarme or Babb along side him ? I don't. He & Henchoz have such good understanding of each other thats why they are both so good.

Fuckin E-Season Tickets my arse.

Offline Shaky Jake

• Kopite
  • from corners he will score some...
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2001, 02:07:09 pm »
I too have had it with the official site I think...

With you on the H+H partnership...

Now I gotta take a taxi to Helsinki Vantaa Airport... 24 hours time I'll be on Merseyside...

Happy Christmas To All.
Give it to John

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2001, 12:39:27 am »
well then, tell me of how great he is then sefton, did u c the fulham match ?

Sefton i think your adverts on the official site posts have started to bring wankas like this over!

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2001, 05:38:00 am »
Good, we can slag the c*nts off.

treble2001

Emile Heskey Article
« Reply #28 on: June 8, 2002, 02:38:43 pm »
Need a title and any tips to improve it...Cheers

A player that Gérard Houllier, Martin O'Neil and Sven Goran Erikkson would always have in their teams.  A player that has had the beating of the likes of Walter Samuel, Jaap Stam and Jens Nowotny, and has been a consistant performer in our team, whether playing up front, left midfield or even, it seems, at times centre back.

But he's still not good enough for us, is he?

Gerard Houllier very rarely splashes out plus 10 million on players, but after seeing Emile and Michael Owen together in the Toulon U-21s Championship he knew that was the combination he wanted.  It was hardly the best kept secret in football, but Emile Heskey finally became a Red in April 2000.

When he made his debut, his eager attitude and hard working performance, against Sunderland, gave him a great start in front of the home faithful.  With the title of the club's most expensive player on his head, there was always going to be added pressure on Heskey.

He got his first goal at Coventry that year, and scored two at Wimbledon to give him three goals for the Reds.  Over the pre-season, the management worked on him, and he started the 2000-2001 season on fire.  Goals were coming in from all angles, including his first senior hat-trick against Derby.

After Liverpool had lost to Ipswich, the Echo's letter's page was filled with letters along the lines of 'Heskey is the best striker we have, so just play him.  He would have won us that game'.

He finished the season with 22 goals, and joint top goal-scorer with Michael Owen.  The following season he began in equally good fashion, scoring against Bayern in the Super Cup and Bolton Wanderers, after coming on as a sub.  But he went on a run that he didn't want after scoring in Liverpool's, I mean England's 5-1 win in Munich.  Although his performances were still of a high performance, his confidence in front of goal seemed a little faint.  Emile went around three months without a goal.  This drought was ended versus Sunderland.  But he was still contributing brilliantly to the team.  If the team were defending, so was Emile.  

What people forget is that he isn't always playing up-front.  Who else could play up front and also come back and defends, and, when the situation is needed, can play on the wing?  Heskey isn't an out and out striker; he plays so many different roles in a game.  When the team is on the back foot, he can be found in defence and midfield.  When the team is attacking, he can also be found on the wings, trying to create chances for his teammates.

Whoever plays alongside Heskey would tell you just how good he is.  Emile is prepared to do all the worst work, in getting the ball and battling for it.  I mean, when Michael Owen plays alongside any other striker, he finds it harder than if Heskey was alongside him.

Now, after England have just drawn with Everton reserves (Also known as Sweden), who do you blame?  The captain who said he was fit to play, but is putting the team down the ten-men?  How about the centre midfielders who decide to let the world class Linderoth run the show?  Or how about the right footed forward, playing left wing, who had a decent game?

You guessed it!

I mean, how dare Heskey not suddenly become left footed.  How dare Heskey not become a world-class winger overnight.  But Emile's had stick before.  And he's stuck two fingers firmly up to all those critics.  But is it coming to a stage were his critics are the people who are supposed to be behind him all the way, through thick and thin?  The same people who couldn't write in quick enough blaming GH for leaving out Emile, are now blaming GH for buying him.  I mean, we could always get a good striker, who will play anywhere without fuss, will always battle and personifies the team spirit that we have installed at Anfield, couldn't we?

Maybe this is a stupid remark, but does a few fans attitude towards Emile stem from the fact that it was he who disposed the supposed 'indispensable' Robbie Fowler?  I don't want to have a go at Fowler here, but I would much rather Heskey in my team than Fowler.  Maybe Fowler has the natural goal scoring instincts, but could he do what Emile does?

From the player who came to us with two League Cup medals, to the player with International Caps, FA, League and UEFA winners medals, and now worldwide recognition it's amazing how far he's come.  Even when the goals aren't flying in, the performances are always to a very high standard.  14 goals in a season is hardly bad, and the amount of times others have gained from his hard work will double that number.

Let's face it, can we get another Emile Heskey?  Err..no! Mark Piercy
« Last Edit: June 8, 2002, 03:25:27 pm by treble2001 »

Offline Steve C

• Legacy Fan
Re:Emile Heskey Article
« Reply #29 on: June 8, 2002, 10:45:24 pm »
like it, just a couple of small things...

U sure it was the u21 championships him and MO played in? I thought it was u18s or sommat.

He didnt really 'do' nowotny IMHO, but he DID destroy italians super back 3 of nest, cannavaro and maldini in 2000 for ingerlund, scared the shit out of them.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #30 on: June 8, 2002, 10:49:59 pm »
Nice. :)
I'll try and think of a title................???

Are Eriksson,Owen, Shearer, Capello, O'neil and GH all wrong?

Emile Heskey. All the hard work, none of the plaudits?

eeerrrrrrrrrr, Ok, not amazing, I'll think some more....
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

treble2001

« Reply #31 on: June 9, 2002, 12:26:14 pm »

like it, just a couple of small things...

U sure it was the u21 championships him and MO played in? I thought it was u18s or sommat.

He didnt really 'do' nowotny IMHO, but he DID destroy italians super back 3 of nest, cannavaro and maldini in 2000 for ingerlund, scared the shit out of them.

Not sure at all about that, they got in the quarters, am quite sure now that it was U-18s.  

Swap Nowotny for Cannavaro?  

Reeves , I had thought of 'Blame Heksey' but, well, thats shit!

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2002, 07:30:47 pm »
Another Justice4the96 now??!!!!
Jesus this is gonna get confusing!! ???
My mate posts as this on offal.
Mottman now posts as this and now treble2001 does too!! So if I start to talk to you about random stuff which you know nothing about, you'll know why now ;) ;D

Offline Steve C

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2002, 07:44:48 pm »
the knob'ead has swapped names with mottman :wanker ;D

treble2001

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2002, 08:07:34 pm »
That's one person confused  ;D

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2002, 08:17:12 pm »
he now has a custom title to make it easier to identify  ;D

treble2001

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2002, 08:36:27 pm »
hehehe

;D

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2002, 12:03:54 am »
Is that holly valance in that picture Neb?
Such pleasing eye candy should actively be encouraged ;D

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2002, 12:28:57 am »
11 random holly valance pictures :lickin

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2002, 05:09:28 pm »
More of a classic Kylie man myself, but I wouldnt kick young Holly out of bed for farting if yer know what I mean. ;D