Author Topic: Jon Flanagan  (Read 49250 times)

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jon Flanagan close to signing new deal.
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2016, 02:09:52 pm »
Flanno is such a good solid fullback, what with Klopp being one of the best managers in the world.. he won't miss that. Coupled with the affinity Jon has with the club, I can see him spending his career with us.

Think we'd all like to see that. Just sometimes tho get the impression that for all his strengths he might go the way Stephen Warnock went. Very hard tackler, fearless but just lacked that little bit extra going forward. Plus obviously injury cost him the chance to really establish himself here.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2016, 02:17:03 pm »
I was a Warnock fan, but Flanagan is a superior player and offers the versatility of playing at either fullback position that Stephen couldn't.
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2016, 02:34:31 pm »
I was a Warnock fan, but Flanagan is a superior player and offers the versatility of playing at either fullback position that Stephen couldn't.

True but both full backs have to have that bit of extra attacking side to their game. Not just a bit, but a lot more to get to the level we want to get to year in year out. Moreno and Clyne don't fully fit the bill either. And Jon would need a sustained run to prove he is good enough to keep his place long term.

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2016, 02:57:58 pm »
Ah good, young Raheemius can look forward to a couple of good lumps next season as well then.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:06:27 pm by poopscoop »

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2016, 04:14:34 pm »
True but both full backs have to have that bit of extra attacking side to their game. Not just a bit, but a lot more to get to the level we want to get to year in year out. Moreno and Clyne don't fully fit the bill either. And Jon would need a sustained run to prove he is good enough to keep his place long term.

Moreno I'll give you because he can be rash but how on Earth does Clyne not fit the bill of what we want from a fullback?

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2016, 08:07:16 pm »
Any chance he plays tomorrow?
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2016, 08:22:27 pm »
Flanagan isn't in the Europa league squad but Randall is .

So would assume if we are rotating Randall will get the chance to gain experience so as to come in if we need in EL

So can't Flanno getting much of chance to be honest

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 5, 2016, 08:45:14 pm »
Loan to Burnley confirmed. Any idea if he has one of those 70% appearance clauses?

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: August 5, 2016, 11:32:07 pm »
Sorry to see the lad go out on loan as the odds of a long term career at Liverpool are now stacked against him. I don't know what it is about the loan system as it rarely pays off as the new club / manager seem to be more keen to invest the time in their own youth / players. Why scupper your own long term prospects so you can play a loanee who can be called by Liverpool in Jan or the following May?. Thought the lad had great promise but that injury set him back and Klopp has only seen the shell of the player he was in 2013/14 ish. Some day I hope the league will force the club's hands and ensure home growth have a better chance of succeeding. The likes of Southampton seem to have a handle on it while we are a decade and more into not bringing through a first teamer.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline North Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #169 on: August 6, 2016, 09:19:58 am »
Good opportunity for the lad to prove himself good enough for Liverpool. He needs to be a regular at Burnley.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: August 6, 2016, 10:50:39 am »
Sorry to see the lad go out on loan as the odds of a long term career at Liverpool are now stacked against him. I don't know what it is about the loan system as it rarely pays off as the new club / manager seem to be more keen to invest the time in their own youth / players. Why scupper your own long term prospects so you can play a loanee who can be called by Liverpool in Jan or the following May?. Thought the lad had great promise but that injury set him back and Klopp has only seen the shell of the player he was in 2013/14 ish. Some day I hope the league will force the club's hands and ensure home growth have a better chance of succeeding. The likes of Southampton seem to have a handle on it while we are a decade and more into not bringing through a first teamer.
If they're noy good enough they're not good enough.No sympathy just because they're from liverpool/came up through the academy.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 6, 2016, 11:01:18 am »
If they're noy good enough they're not good enough.No sympathy just because they're from liverpool/came up through the academy.

Spoken like a true whopper
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 6, 2016, 11:04:43 am »

Doesn't matter if you are home grown or from Mars, if you are good enough you'll play. I'd rather not see us hindered through sentiment, especially by the league forcing you to play players who just are not good enough.

As for Burnley, lad at work is a supporter and said they've not bought anyone, so if Flanno is deemed good enough, he'll play. Daish's priority is staying in the league, he won't care about who is in the team currently, if he has someone better who will keep them up and ultimately keep him in a job, then he'll play him.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 6, 2016, 11:22:31 am »

Doesn't matter if you are home grown or from Mars, if you are good enough you'll play. I'd rather not see us hindered through sentiment, especially by the league forcing you to play players who just are not good enough.

As for Burnley, lad at work is a supporter and said they've not bought anyone, so if Flanno is deemed good enough, he'll play. Daish's priority is staying in the league, he won't care about who is in the team currently, if he has someone better who will keep them up and ultimately keep him in a job, then he'll play him.

With that sort of thinking we never see another Carra come through as to be honest Carragher was no prized student when he first came along. Obviously Flanagan is struggling to regain his previous form and of course there is reasons why a loan might be beneficial but on the other side we are not exactly blessed with world class full backs right now and even less in cover. Personally there is no sympathy involved when you see Flanagan thundering in to a tackle to make the first impression in a game. The lad will bleed for the cause and that spirit is possibly lacking in many of our current squad.

As I said I rarely see the loan system panning out and maybe its a stretch to say Flanagan may not reach higher levels at Burnley due to the fact he is not fighting for his home club. I don't know as he should be professional enough to play at 100% there too but sometimes I like to think you do give that extra 1% or 2% when its YOUR team, when its YOUR fight and that for some players is the difference between 700 plus appearances for a home club or just another local lad who moved away as we no longer have the patience to see a solid player move up the next level.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2016, 09:18:15 pm »
Dropped for Villa reject Matt Lowton, for the game against WBA.

Lowton has been awful, as has Joel Ward at left back. Not looking good for Flanno, bluntly, if those two are keeping him out of the team.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2016, 09:20:08 pm »

Lowton has been awful, as has Joel Ward at left back. Not looking good for Flanno, bluntly, if those two are keeping him out of the team.

No wonder they're losing 3-0 to the biggest anti-football side in the league.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2016, 09:21:52 pm »
No wonder they're losing 3-0 to the biggest anti-football side in the league.

Make that 4-0...
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline acdublin

• Boys Pen
« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2016, 09:26:01 pm »
Honestly, love to see more of him.  Personally think he could do as well if not better than Milner.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2016, 09:29:50 pm »
Honestly, love to see more of him.  Personally think he could do as well if not better than Milner.

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2016, 09:31:33 pm »
In all seriousness, I love Flanno from a 'local lad' perspective and he'll always have a place in our fond memories from the 13/14 season at WHL, but as a defender, if you take pure passion away, you're not left with much else. I feel sorry for him as his injury has really set him back and I think it'll be really hard for him to come back from this.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2016, 09:44:01 pm »
as a defender, if you take pure passion away, you're not left with much else.
I reckon that's too strong, he's a decent player.
Tidy passer and loves a crunching tackle, which takes timing not just grit.
Still hard to see him as a first choice, but could easily do a job in the squad and a good lad to have around.

Right now it's very hard to imagine him forcing his way back into the reckoning, especially with new blood coming through all the time like Trent A-A. But back in August 2013 he couldn't find a club that would take him on loan above League 1 and nobody thought he was ever going to make it, and a few months later he was MOTM in a derby. From that point on he was superb until his injury.
Give him time to find form and fitness at Burnley, and you never know. He's got a great temperament and is not a man to be written off lightly.

Maybe tonight's horror show for Burnley will open the door for him to get a run of games.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2016, 10:17:42 pm »
I reckon that's too strong, he's a decent player.
Tidy passer and loves a crunching tackle, which takes timing not just grit.
Still hard to see him as a first choice, but could easily do a job in the squad and a good lad to have around.

Right now it's very hard to imagine him forcing his way back into the reckoning, especially with new blood coming through all the time like Trent A-A. But back in August 2013 he couldn't find a club that would take him on loan above League 1 and nobody thought he was ever going to make it, and a few months later he was MOTM in a derby. From that point on he was superb until his injury.
Give him time to find form and fitness at Burnley, and you never know. He's got a great temperament and is not a man to be written off lightly.

Maybe tonight's horror show for Burnley will open the door for him to get a run of games.

See, I disagree with this mate. I think because of the wave of that final 5 months, everyone was on a high because of the way we attacked & nobody even worried about our defending. Its only with hindsight we can look at our defensive unit and say that is what let us down. Flanno was a big part of the attacking play that tore teams apart, but he was also part of the defensive unit that conceded more goals than any Liverpool team in the past 40 odd years.

Again, I feel sorry for the lad because an injury like the one he's had would set anyone back but I look at where he is now and how old he is and then I think of where we are, where we are going and look at the young lads coming through and I just think its going to be really difficult for him.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline WidnesJon

• Sworn enemy of RuncornPaul
  • Main Stander
  • Kemlyn Hughes
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2016, 10:34:44 pm »

Jeez, that's one hell of a first post.

Cheers
Jon

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2016, 07:08:08 am »
It's a shame but i think we can stick a fork in his liverpool career

Lets hope that brendan wants him, get some first team football,get some confidence back and then come back down

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2016, 08:20:38 am »
It's a shame but i think we can stick a fork in his liverpool career

Hardly.  Flanno's only 23 and defenders take almost as long as goalies to reach their physical prime at 26, mentally mature, learn to read the flow of the game, etc. 
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2016, 08:34:30 am »
I would gladly have my above line quoted years from now with him being a fulcrum of the liverpool 11. I like him as a player very much

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2016, 09:09:27 am »
It's a shame but i think we can stick a fork in his liverpool career.

Jumping the gun a bit is that, the lad has a lot to offer he just needs the game time to fully develop.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2016, 10:02:45 am »
I hope I am. Truly

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2016, 11:44:22 am »

Definitely isn't looking good for Flanno if a Crystal Palace player is keeping him out of the Burnley team  :o

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2016, 12:04:40 pm »
I love the lad but it's difficult to see what he's going to offer a Klopp team beyond commitment - yes, he's shown that he's a very capable and aggressive defender and that he's perfectly tidy on the ball, but when you look at the kind of runs, overlaps and use of the ball that Milner, Clyne and the can't even get a game at the moment Moreno provide what has Flanagan shown in order to displace any of them? That said, maybe he could be our Phil Neville - that's not meant as a diss at all but as in great cover for both full back positions - and maybe he can make me eat my words, because that's something he's already shown himself capable of.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2016, 02:13:23 pm »
yes if he can get his skills back to provide cover for the 2 FB spots that would be considered a win for him at this point - or so it would seem

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2016, 02:19:57 pm »
Flanno was a big part of the attacking play that tore teams apart, but he was also part of the defensive unit that conceded more goals than any Liverpool team in the past 40 odd years.
Yeah... that's a very fair point, but I still think he did enough to suggest the potential to be a decent squad member.
Whether he can make up for lost time is obviously a pretty big doubt though.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2016, 02:26:33 pm »

Welcome to Rawk, Jon. :D

Offline dogeibbor

• Anny Roader
  • He wants to come
« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2016, 05:05:38 pm »
To me he looks a good defender, strong mentally but never shown enough going forward. A decade or two he would have been an excellent option but in todays game his skillset is too limited to play for a top pl club.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2016, 05:56:30 pm »
I'd be surprised to see him make it here under Klopp almost regardless of ability. He just isn't the style of full back that Klopp likes so he'd have to be outstanding to get Klopp to play him over others. Trent Alexander-Arnold is much more Klopp's type of full back and there's only room for one right back in our squad as he isn't going to displace Clyne. I think Flanagan will probably make a career as a lower half of the prem full back.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2016, 10:04:41 pm »
Definitely isn't looking good for Flanno if a Crystal Palace player is keeping him out of the Burnley team  :o

Talking to a lad who goes all Burnley home and most aways, reckons he wasn't 100% fit last night. Might turn out to be a good one to have missed.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2016, 11:49:12 pm »
Great lad. Not got a prayer of coming back and featuring at Liverpool. Hope he stays fit and has a really good career.

Offline Varun

• Anny Roader
« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2017, 04:46:22 pm »
Where is he these days?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #198 on: December 11, 2017, 04:47:31 pm »

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #199 on: December 11, 2017, 04:56:02 pm »
Regular for U23's this season
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!