Author Topic: Steve McManaman - Legend or big time charlie????????  (Read 67005 times)

Offline Peeker

• Blames Rafa for fucking up Johnson deal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Simply Magnificent
Re: Steve McManaman - Legend or big time charlie????????
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2007, 04:51:29 pm »
Absolutely fuckin spot on.

Macca was a fantastic player for us in a very barren period for us and the club in general.

Not sure about being a legend, but he was an excellent player and would walk into our team in his 1995-96 form, and we still havent replaced him. The fact that Igor fucking Biscan is held in higher esteem than Steve McManaman says a lot about the intelligence of some fans.

Offline BootleRed

• Kopite
  • Put yerself in my shoes for a change!
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2007, 05:09:17 pm »
The lad was decent for us but i'm afraid the word legend is banded about far too often these days and he certainly is NOT one.
Judging by the general feeling on here there may not be many viewers for the "MACCA SHOW" on setanta 1 at 7pm tonight then  ;D
We're not English -We are Scouse.

Offline Steele_uk

• Anny Roader
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2007, 05:15:01 pm »
No, not from a player that once held the premiership record for consecutive appearnaces. Never missed a league game in nearly 5 seasons.

::)

What has that got to do with giving 100%?

I am not questioning his attendance, and i am not arguing that the man had talent, but he didnt always put in the effort and fight that WOULD have turned him into a 'great' player.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2007, 05:54:58 pm »
A good friend of mine is best buddies with Macca (and Robbie).

What i know of Macca & everything my mate says is all good.

Offline LFC-Dan

• one of the worst here!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2007, 05:57:03 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeMucUA5wRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFc9frXRAHg

Few vids to refresh the memories there.

Certainly not a legend but good back in the day, still don't think we've had anyone with that much pace on the wings since though.
Justice for the 96

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2007, 06:07:43 pm »
great player...

complete knob... talks crap...
We won it 5 times........

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2007, 06:19:06 pm »
never liked the guy even as a footballer!! 
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2007, 06:25:22 pm »
never liked the guy even as a footballer!! 

Oh aye, we were always far better off when Leonhardsen played. Or McAteer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 06:43:53 pm by BIGdavalad »
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2007, 06:46:29 pm »
Loved him as a player, was one of my favourites during my teens.

Legend? No.

Bitter c*nt? Maybe.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2007, 06:49:47 pm »
I didn't think he was fantastic for us.

But you could see his quality when he went to Madrid.

He is however an admitted Everton Twat and should be fucked off from the Legend's team.

He IS NOT a legend.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2007, 07:09:10 pm »
Absolutely fuckin spot on.

Macca was a fantastic player for us in a very barren period for us and the club in general.

Not sure about being a legend, but he was an excellent player and would walk into our team in his 1995-96 form, and we still havent replaced him. The fact that Igor fucking Biscan is held in higher esteem than Steve McManaman says a lot about the intelligence of some fans.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline grifter

• Merderer on the Orient Express. The Brian Sewell of RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2007, 07:15:24 pm »
Redknapp and that annoying whiny cockney voice on every single game is staring to get on my nerves. He's only on because he's a decent looking lad.

Spot on, the bastard is begining to grate on me. Every time the footie is on, fucking he's on stating the obvious.
He has his hands in this position 95% of the time he gases, if he does it again I'm going to boot the fucking telly in.

Maca - great player, but comes across as a cocky twat, not that I know him.

Grayson Perry is a talentless attention seeking gobshite. Wolfgang Tillmans is a bell-end. Cy Twombly is a nob-ead.

Offline sean70

• Boys Pen
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2007, 07:24:42 pm »
Big time Charlie, 1 of the English Prems 1st manufactured footballers, Beckham came after him, limited abilty just flashy moves and the odd goal curtisy of being in a good team and protected by modern whistle happy refs. DONT EVEN MENSION HIM IN THE SAME BREATH AS DALGLISH/BARNES/FOWLER/KEEGAN/GERRARD. The guys a knob simple as!

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2007, 07:32:29 pm »
Owen is definitely NOT a Liverpool legend.
You've decided that in all your wisdom, have you ?
Than you can bring that FA cup to Highbury (mind you, it's called different now), legend !

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2007, 07:48:29 pm »
Michael Owen? Legend?

Bahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa

Sorry I need to go lie down to get over that.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2007, 08:03:03 pm »
Lets ask this simple question. Out of the two, who would you want in our current squad.

Barnes or Macca

Barnes in my opinion is a true legend and in comparing the two it becomes evident that Macca cannot be considered a legend.

Are you an idiot?
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Rome 84

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2007, 08:06:15 pm »
I think you'll find Macca is a legend in Madrid.
Had he been surrounded by top class players at Anfield he might now be seen in the same light on Merseyside.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2007, 08:11:58 pm »
Our best player for about 3 seasons. Robbie on a par.

How many players have actually been man marked by the opposition! Remember "stop macca and stop lfc" ? 352 with him in the hole.

Excellent player.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline campioni1984

• Fancies Paul Ince
  • Legacy Fan
  • 15 April 1989 YNWA
« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2007, 08:28:22 pm »
He got butted by Gary Neville. :lmaoThats all you need to know.Cockend.
THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS

Offline neopulian

• Main Stander
  • veni, vidi, vici
« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2007, 08:36:02 pm »
He was a legend in the days we didn't have much to cheer about. The way he left clouded the judgment of some of the fans, but in his heighdays,  he was no worse than Giggs or Figo.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2007, 10:58:27 pm »
Big time Charlie, 1 of the English Prems 1st manufactured footballers, Beckham came after him, limited abilty just flashy moves and the odd goal curtisy of being in a good team and protected by modern whistle happy refs. DONT EVEN MENSION HIM IN THE SAME BREATH AS DALGLISH/BARNES/FOWLER/KEEGAN/GERRARD. The guys a knob simple as!

He got butted by Gary Neville. :lmaoThats all you need to know.Cockend.

:wanker

Offline A Day 2 Remember

• Legacy Fan
  • At The End Of The Storm - Are we there yet??
« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2007, 11:08:45 pm »
If you look at the whole spice boys era it is very easy to understand why these young, extremely rich, very famous and adoured lads went off the rails on occasion. All of a sudden footballers as young as 19/20 were making CFO money, the media was going crazy with the whole SKY bollox and Liverpool was in the middle of a drug and club craze.

Most people who have the personality of a sports person would have had some issues with the above. If the management had been more strict ala whiskey nose maybe they could have handled the situation. Considering the above I think they all did well to entertain us and provide moments of natural ecstasy.
5th times a charm

I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2007, 11:47:42 pm »
Deffo not a legend imo.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline WillieBob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2007, 11:50:18 pm »

No way a legend, but by the same token no way a Big Time Charlie. However, if I were pressed to put him into one camp or the other it would have to be the BTC camp.
"The Member States shall facilitate the achievement of the Union's tasks and refrain from any measure which could jeopardise the attainment of the Union's objectives."

Offline Curva Nord '77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2007, 12:32:51 am »
Don't like him as a person seems very annoying.

As a player I loved him though bought light to the days of gloom him and Robbie did.

Pain in the arse that walked out on the club.

Gobshite.

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2007, 12:44:22 am »
Not interested in what he's paid to say these days, I judge red's players the only way they should be - on the pitch.  Growing up in 90's, for me he was brilliant.  Can't be arsed with any bitterness, I watch Liverpool for the football.
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2007, 01:27:22 am »
btw..

Macca's Monday Night show is on setanta here in the USA. Tonight was on from 7:45 -8:15 pm eastern.

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline berrno3333

• Taliban Arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Noodles i slipped",
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2007, 01:56:21 am »
The goal at Celtic will always live in my mind.
Never a legend but a scorer of a legendary goal which he repeated but i cant remember who against.
An arsehole of the first order and proud of it.                                                                                   Founder member of the Popular front of Judea

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2007, 01:57:39 am »
Ian Callaghan would get no where near a greatest Liverpool 11, he's a legend.
Same applies to Billy Liddel, most people name Rush, King Kenny, fowler & even Keegan ahead of him, he's still a legend.

Even so, I'm struggling to think of 2 better right wingers than Mcmanaman, IMO he's not far off the greatest Liverpoll 11, as has been pointed out, he's never been replaced.
With a club as great as ours, with the many great players that have played for us, being in the all time 11, shouldn't and isn't a barometer for legendary status.

Cally was Shanklys fave player and a supremely underrated midfielder who had just about everything, been watching a lot of the old stuff of late and Cally really shines i'd almost forgotten just how unbelievably good he was, i think he'd at least get a place on the bench in any Best Liverpool team ever.

As for Macca, good player but never struck me as truly great, couldn't care less about the fall out from his bosman i'm judging him by his performances and too often (particularly against the big sides) he went missing, along with Redknapp he seemed to me to sum up all that was wrong about Evans' sides....all style with very little substance, looked good but the end result was just not good enough.

BTW Anyone questioning Graeme Souness' legend status needs their head checking, simply put he is still the Greatest CM this club has ever had and no amount of crap management and selling stories to the sun is gonna change that.

Offline Kess73

• Main Stander
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2007, 09:01:27 am »
A good player, who sometimes played like a very good player. A legend though? Not even in this era of throwaway titles.

Cannot stand him as a pundit though.
Meet them head on, it's the only way.

http://rollers.mybrute.com

Offline Kess73

• Main Stander
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2007, 09:04:18 am »

BTW Anyone questioning Graeme Souness' legend status needs their head checking, simply put he is still the Greatest CM this club has ever had and no amount of crap management and selling stories to the sun is gonna change that.

Could not agree more. Souness was an awesome midfielder, he had the lot. We have not had a cm of his quality since he left. Stevie can only dream of being as good as Souness was.
Meet them head on, it's the only way.

http://rollers.mybrute.com

Offline Jonno

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • Malaysian Red And White Kopites
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2007, 09:19:05 am »
The goal at Celtic will always live in my mind.
Never a legend but a scorer of a legendary goal which he repeated but i cant remember who against.

Aston Villa, the very next week after the Celtic Goal... Almost a carbon copy of it.  :wave
"Son, every man on the street and in the pub has his own view about who should play where, his own team, so do I. The difference is, my team was put to the test time and again, yours weren't and will never be." Roy Evans to me in Kuala Lumpur.

Offline elrojoyoda

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dream Team
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2007, 10:03:53 am »
I imagine his training regime per hour went something like:

Pointy finger gesture - 30 mins
Hair swipe apologetic aknowledgement - 20 mins
Footy training - 10 mins

Still, in full flight it was a great sight to watch him ghost past players. I don't think he earned the title legend, its too easily bestowed, but he was a big part of a very attractive Liverpool side.

:lmao at the training regime

Agreed with the rest...

Most of our ex players turned pundits who are classed as legends - do my head in, so am not surprised at McManaman being the same... Not yet seen him on Setanta yet! 
Follow me on Twitter @RojoYoda

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2007, 12:25:02 pm »
A legend ? ....no way, thought he was a very frustrating player at times, who didn't score enough goals.

Once he left the club, he was one of those players that I wasn't arsed about what he did or said. That applies to most of our players when they leave, they just don't interest me anymore.

Not really seen much of him as a pundit, most of them talk shite anyway, so I wouldn't worry about his ( or any of the others) opinions.

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline berrno3333

• Taliban Arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Noodles i slipped",
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2007, 03:53:38 pm »
Aston Villa, the very next week after the Celtic Goal... Almost a carbon copy of it.  :wave
Another beauty.Cheers mate
An arsehole of the first order and proud of it.                                                                                   Founder member of the Popular front of Judea

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2007, 05:08:21 pm »
Was nothing short of brilliant for us.  But I think he left a little too early to be given the legend tag and he also left on a free.  That still sticks with me.

Being a local bred lad the club deserved something back from him and he basically buggered off and we got nothing for him.

Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline Craigeth

• Legacy Fan
  • Ninety six Friends, we all shall miss YNWA
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2007, 05:11:06 pm »
He was a great player who i admired a lot until he fucked us over the way he left. Have great memories of him as a player but he will now always be remembered by me for leaving the way he did, a shame really.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2007, 10:00:28 pm »
McManaman was a good player for us but he fucked off and left on a free. He never seems very complimentary when I read anything in the media he's said about us.

Offline wearethepeople

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2007, 10:33:20 pm »
looks like a bloo nose, probably smells like a bloo nose. Pseudo intellectual who thinks he has something worth listening to. He believes he is a legend. He isn't, he is an out and out twat. Football wise, probably above average but he fucked that up by thinking he was one of our 'greats'. No chance the cheeky bloo nose bastard. I proper hate him.

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Unimaginative pisshead!!! +!!
  • Kopite
  • hat, cap, scarf or your banner??
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2007, 10:48:15 pm »
looks like a bloo nose, probably smells like a bloo nose. Pseudo intellectual who thinks he has something worth listening to. He believes he is a legend. He isn't, he is an out and out twat. Football wise, probably above average but he fucked that up by thinking he was one of our 'greats'. No chance the cheeky bloo nose bastard. I proper hate him.

A Blue YES, A smart Arse YES Won us nothing (apart from a few small cups YES Look at his position in the Telegraph Fantasy League Not Very good YES.
I work with a Manchester City fan who despises him after he went to sort out insurance for the players at the ground and he was the snottiest little turd he's ever seen etc etc etc.

Having said that he carried us for a good 2 years when the rest of the team was shite!!!
Keegan to Smith to Keegan and Newcastle were undressed!!!!!
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!