Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1073654 times)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Klopp Template - Are we getting closer?
« Reply #960 on: June 10, 2018, 02:27:06 pm »
Fabinho, Keita and Ox is our best midfield imo - with the best depth we ever had, however we still lack creativity at 8 and have to address it because if we do we'll truly be unplayable and almost too good not to win a big trophy. Here' s hoping we find that player till the end of the window.

It could be long time before Chamberlain gets his recent form back after this injury.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #961 on: June 10, 2018, 02:47:14 pm »
It could be long time before Chamberlain gets his recent form back after this injury.

We still have Milner and Lallana to play there and Keita has played very well in attacking midfield for Leipzig. We have options in that position and lots of them.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #962 on: June 10, 2018, 02:49:39 pm »
Fekir could have played as no.8 no.10 and false 9. Which is a reason we would have wanted him.

Are there any other players who can play these 3 positions who have good defensive stats aswell like, Fekir?

I really don't think there will be.

I'm pretty much spitballing here, but; Bruno Fernandes? Mario Götze? Luis Alberto?

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #963 on: June 10, 2018, 04:09:19 pm »
I'm pretty much spitballing here, but; Bruno Fernandes? Mario Götze? Luis Alberto?

Never seen Fernandez. But Gotze and Alberto? Hell to the fuck no.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #964 on: June 10, 2018, 04:09:22 pm »
Fekir could have played as no.8 no.10 and false 9. Which is a reason we would have wanted him.

Are there any other players who can play these 3 positions who have good defensive stats aswell like, Fekir?

I really don't think there will be.

In some systems, that's the same job :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #965 on: June 10, 2018, 04:09:46 pm »
We still have Milner and Lallana to play there and Keita has played very well in attacking midfield for Leipzig. We have options in that position and lots of them.

True but only Keita is a goal threat.

Need another top player like Fekir imo.  But I can see us actually not getting an alternative to him and sticking with what we have. The fan base will go full meltdown but Klopp has shown so many times he won't buy for sake of it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 04:11:41 pm by clinical »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #966 on: June 10, 2018, 05:39:58 pm »

Need another top player like Fekir imo.  But I can see us actually not getting an alternative to him and sticking with what we have. The fan base will go full meltdown but Klopp has shown so many times he won't buy for sake of it.

So are you saying that if there is no chance of getting the one player we want, we just never sign a player like that ever again? That makes Klopp sound like a child.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: June 10, 2018, 06:10:14 pm »

Lallana scored more goals in his last full season than Keita did in his.

Just sayin...

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #968 on: June 10, 2018, 06:11:48 pm »
The fan base will go full meltdown but Klopp has shown so many times he won't buy for sake of it.

Some might go into meltdown but I think most will trust in what Klopp is doing.

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #969 on: June 11, 2018, 12:33:19 am »

Well look at the chance they took on Mane and Sallah come to that.
Mane had a "disappointing" season,  only scoring  19 goals, Salah ,well we all know what happened there.

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #970 on: June 11, 2018, 12:53:25 am »
                                                                Keita

Fabinho

Henderson

If we need a goal take Henderson off and replace him with Lallana/Ox/New forward.

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #971 on: June 11, 2018, 02:19:54 am »
                                                                Keita

Fabinho

Henderson

If we need a goal take Henderson off and replace him with Lallana/Ox/New forward.
Isn't Fabinho  a defensive midfielder?

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #972 on: June 11, 2018, 02:32:14 am »

Klopp only waited for Van Dijk because he was available for sale - it just took Southampton some time to get over their own need to show themselves as strong to their own fans. On the other hand there is no point waiting for Fekir since his knee means he will never again be a good player to sign. Hence I believe Klopp is moving on to his next target on his list. The question is who?

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #973 on: June 11, 2018, 03:21:33 am »
I see lots of tactical possibilities for Klopp with the new midfield.

For starters, I feel a lot more comfortable putting Fabinho in front of Lukaku and shutting down the long ball flick on. I feel like he'd effectively kill that shiite route 1 long ball that was annoyingly effective against us.

I think between Fabinho and Keita we are going to be much better turning on the ball and working through a press. It wasn't really a big problem for us but these two guys are fantastic at it and will take guys out of the play and give more isolated looks to our front three.

I think Henderson could play RCM and be really effective covering Salah's flank. We know Salah cheats a little by design and having Henderson's running capacity to shield him could be beneficial against some opposition. We've seen Henderson play that role on at LCM protecting Coutinho flank to good effect. No reason he couldn't do that on the right where he can also use that whipping cross. I'd want a bigger goal threat most of the time but against a team that we want to control midfield against, or shut down a danger-man like Zaha or Hazard, it could be useful. It could also be something we do in the last 15 minutes to see out a game.

It's a shame we didn't get Fekir because he could have been a real weapon against the bottom third teams we've struggled against. Last season we did really well against the middle third but the top 3rd and bottom 3rd we struggled to beat. Having a guy like Fekir could have been really useful. I still think Lallana can help us in that regard and I'm kind of hoping we go for more of a wide player than Fekir was with that deal off because between Milner, Lallana, Wijnaldum and Oxlade we can find a solution for that CM position. Maybe not as big a goal threat as Fekir but still a good player.

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: June 11, 2018, 02:33:50 pm »
Klopp only waited for Van Dijk because he was available for sale - it just took Southampton some time to get over their own need to show themselves as strong to their own fans. On the other hand there is no point waiting for Fekir since his knee means he will never again be a good player to sign. Hence I believe Klopp is moving on to his next target on his list. The question is who?

Well looks like it could have been Lanzini who is more Coutinho than Fekir. No where near as good as both and would have been very underwhelming.

I hope we go someone with strength like Fekir has. I mentioned before Klopp likes his attackers who are strong and fast, no surprises we are going for Shaqiri.I hope this Fekir thing doesn't shape our summer after it started so well. 

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #975 on: June 11, 2018, 02:53:22 pm »
                                                                Keita

Fabinho

Henderson

Could definitely see those 3 but Henderson pushed forward and Fabinho further back. People assume we will get Fekir alternative we may wait till Jan/next summer. Wouldn't be a bad midfield either with those 3. Much better than this season.
If Lallana stays he will play a lot, could even try Shqiri in the advanced midfield role. I wouldn't be surprised if Shaqiri was our main attacker signing this window now.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #976 on: July 5, 2018, 11:20:01 am »

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #977 on: July 5, 2018, 02:53:57 pm »
Could definitely see those 3 but Henderson pushed forward and Fabinho further back. People assume we will get Fekir alternative we may wait till Jan/next summer. Wouldn't be a bad midfield either with those 3. Much better than this season.
If Lallana stays he will play a lot, could even try Shqiri in the advanced midfield role. I wouldn't be surprised if Shaqiri was our main attacker signing this window now.

The way I see it we have to improve our primary weaknesses first and make our team as strong as possible before we look at auxiliary positions and squad gaps.

Shaqiri will not be our primary stacking signing this summer, I think Shaqiri is being looked at as a depth option only, his game is too inconsistent to rely on over the course of a season but he is the type who can score a goal out of nothing and for the relatively low transfer fee it’s a low risk signing, but we would never go to Ł40M for Shaqiri, he’s not so important they we would put all of our eggs into the one basket

As it stands the following are weaknesses in our starting 11

Goalkeeper
Attacking midfield like Fekir or another striker like Werner / Insigne
Centre back

If we can’t sign our preferred #10 then let’s switch attention to another striker and drop Firmino in a deeper position

And if we can’t get the perfect keeper let’s sign a brilliant centre back partner for VVD

I can live with 2-3 out of Origi/Solanke/Woodburn/wilson as bench options if we add 2 much better players in our starting side and have a bench option like Shaqiri or Moses at a reasonable fee.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: July 8, 2018, 11:37:52 pm »
Lallana scored more goals in his last full season than Keita did in his.

Just sayin...

It’s the timing and nature of the goals that matters though, there are plenty of players who can score goals but often they don’t score the critical goal, i.e. the one that breaks through against a park the bus side or the one that helps us snatch a draw from a game where we played poorly or win a game we didn’t deserve to, it’s that type of leadership that we are missing in midfield, after Gerrard it was arguably Coutinho who took up that role from a midfield perspective, that is what we are missing- the ability to carve out the chance to win a game or the ability to make something happen from nothing- I don’t really put Keita or Fabinho in that Mould and Lallana has never really done it in terms of being the one who stands up and takes charge of a game-

Online wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #979 on: July 18, 2018, 06:15:29 pm »
I think the opposition will have a lot of difficulty creating and scoring quality chances against a quartet of Alisson, VVD, Lovren, and Fabinho (as well as Matip and Henderson). I expect the full-backs to have a lot more freedom to create width against the low-block sides and on the counter. This season's squad might create a new template for Klopp.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #980 on: July 18, 2018, 07:11:37 pm »
I think the opposition will have a lot of difficulty creating and scoring quality chances against a quartet of Alisson, VVD, Lovren, and Fabinho (as well as Matip and Henderson). I expect the full-backs to have a lot more freedom to create width against the low-block sides and on the counter. This season's squad might create a new template for Klopp.

I think this is a great point, we are taking the Klopp strategy of proactivity into the defence and goalkeeper-

So an active minded defence which neutralised issues and starts the counter rather than dropping back passively

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #981 on: July 19, 2018, 01:49:57 am »
             Alisson            SPUNK
             Karius

TAA     Lovren  VVD       Robertson            SPUNK
Clyne   Matip   Gomez    Moreno
               Klavan

Naby      Fabhino         Henderson              SPUNK
Lallana   Windjammer   Milner
             Woodburn

Salah    Firmino     Mane                            SPUNK

Shaq    Sturridge   Solanke                        Slightly more speculative but with a stroke of luck could very well turn out to be quite SPUNK                           
           Brewster

Mix em up any way you want lads thats a whooo-hoo from me. ohhh ya...and Klopp.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #982 on: July 19, 2018, 06:57:02 am »
This all feels really weird, in the best possible way.

I don't care what anyone says, our squad is fucking magnificent with Alisson coming on board. Yes sure we could always improve in an area or two and get more depth, but realistically, for a team that is well run financially. we're going to have a ridiculously talented first 11 and a very strong bench!

We had a good year last year already with 3 key weaknesses. Our GK situation needed addressing, we lacked depth up front, and our midfield while suited to some games, barring Ox, really go into a shell when pressed.

In comes one of the top 5 GK's in the world, 2 outsanding midfielders with cojones of steel who are brave on the ball and as much as the likes of Hendo and Milner are good players, these 2 boys are different class altogether, and much younger.

Then we sign a reliable and versatile attacking player with pace for peanuts.

Is this real life? ;D

Taking Ox's injury into account, our bench for next season looks :

Karius, Clyne, Matip, Milner, Gini, Shaqiri, Sturridge/Solanke.

We've never had a bench anywhere near that quality (well since around 2002 when I started watching football :D)
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #983 on: July 19, 2018, 08:36:19 am »
We're about to have a proper goalkeeper for the first time since circa 2011. We're second favourites with the bookies for the first time since God knows when. The sky is the limit.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #984 on: July 19, 2018, 10:15:43 am »
It’s the timing and nature of the goals that matters though, there are plenty of players who can score goals but often they don’t score the critical goal, i.e. the one that breaks through against a park the bus side or the one that helps us snatch a draw from a game where we played poorly or win a game we didn’t deserve to, it’s that type of leadership that we are missing in midfield, after Gerrard it was arguably Coutinho who took up that role from a midfield perspective, that is what we are missing- the ability to carve out the chance to win a game or the ability to make something happen from nothing- I don’t really put Keita or Fabinho in that Mould and Lallana has never really done it in terms of being the one who stands up and takes charge of a game-

Coutinho’s best games came from left forward and Salah has already taken up the mantle of ‘big game player’.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #985 on: July 19, 2018, 10:36:31 am »
Not read much in this thread so no idea what Klopps template is. Never followed Dortmund.

But even without the Ox and maybe or maybe not Fekir we're in good shape squad wise.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #986 on: July 19, 2018, 10:38:50 am »
We should be getting closer. In fact, we should be there now if we look at this:

Mane (Firmino) Salah
       Keita (Henderson)
             Fabinho
Robertson VVD (Lovren) TAA
             Alisson

8/11 of that team are players have signed when Klopp has been here. If we were to go with AOC and Matip as well, it's really just Firmino who was signed before Klopp came. And then you add Karius, Shaqiri, Solanke, Wijnaldum and (Clyne/Moreno) to get a match day squad. That makes it 14/18 signed by Klopp. We can alter it a bit, but this squad is his by design. Of course we are closer.

This side now has a keeper, CB, DM, attacking midfielder and a striker of the quality we need. All the key roles are filled. I reckon this is the first time in almost a decade we can say that.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: July 19, 2018, 11:35:43 am »
Our team is complete with a no.10.

Surely can't go from. Ox, Lallana and Coutinho in that position at start of last season to just Lallana. Klopp said it was clear we need more depth. We only have one more outfield player than we did at end of last season.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #988 on: July 19, 2018, 11:36:51 am »
I think he has the first 11 he wants now.
At most 1 or 2 players out, 2 or 3 from the squad.

But its been crafted over the years, many managers in a lot of leagues across Europe dont get a luxury like this (except for the multiple ones in this league we're challenging!)

So yes, the league/cl should definitely be challenged for now.

Silverware is needed for this team. can't expect the above two but facup? league cup? yes please.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #989 on: July 19, 2018, 11:37:04 am »

Surely can't go from. Ox, Lallana and Coutinho in that position at start of last season to just Lallana. Klopp said it was clear we need more depth. We only have one more outfield player than we did at end of last season.

2. If Ox is excluded from the options this season then so is Lallana from last season.

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: July 19, 2018, 11:40:13 am »

Just as important is finding a 10 who can fill in for Firmino too, IMO

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #991 on: July 19, 2018, 11:44:27 am »
2. If Ox is excluded from the options this season then so is Lallana from last season.

Fair enough. So we're still one short.

Just as important is finding a 10 who can fill in for Firmino too, IMO

And that's the bonus with Fekir.

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #992 on: July 19, 2018, 11:55:02 am »
And that's the bonus with Fekir.

Which explains our reluctance to look elsewhere!

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #993 on: July 19, 2018, 12:01:52 pm »
We've got a bloated squad now that needs a cleanse. I could see a dozen guys in total leaving between loans and sales
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #994 on: July 19, 2018, 12:06:04 pm »
I think he has the first 11 he wants now.
At most 1 or 2 players out, 2 or 3 from the squad.

But its been crafted over the years, many managers in a lot of leagues across Europe dont get a luxury like this (except for the multiple ones in this league we're challenging!)

So yes, the league/cl should definitely be challenged for now.

Silverware is needed for this team. can't expect the above two but facup? league cup? yes please.
I'm all down for silverware but, on the off chance we don't win something this season what do we do? Whine on Twitter? Hire a plane with a Klopp Out banner? Hope not, although looking at what some of the journos are saying that's exactly wht they hope will happen and i reckon they're rubbing their hands with glee at he prospect - no better narrative in the football mdia world than "angry fans unhappy with disappointing season."

Think we've got a very good chance, but there are five other teams that could be competitive in this country, two of whom have massively outspent us over the past few seasons. Personally I'm just going to take it as it comes and am loath to set any particular silverware targets myself, but that's just me.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #995 on: July 19, 2018, 02:14:49 pm »
I'm all down for silverware but, on the off chance we don't win something this season what do we do? Whine on Twitter? Hire a plane with a Klopp Out banner? Hope not, although looking at what some of the journos are saying that's exactly wht they hope will happen and i reckon they're rubbing their hands with glee at he prospect - no better narrative in the football mdia world than "angry fans unhappy with disappointing season."

Think we've got a very good chance, but there are five other teams that could be competitive in this country, two of whom have massively outspent us over the past few seasons. Personally I'm just going to take it as it comes and am loath to set any particular silverware targets myself, but that's just me.

Well.
The idiots will hire a plane.
I suspect those like me will be disappointed too, and look to the next season to see how we can rectify....tweak the squad/system, hope for better luck, whatever

We have no divine right to any trophy (putting aside our existing to win trophies mantra and european royalty etc etc)....but if klopp was/is the best we could hope for from all the managers out there and he now has the squad close to what he ideally wants its natural to expect something to show for it.

For me...I am expecting Klopp to win us trophies as of this season going forwards. He's had his eye in. Let's hope we do
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #996 on: July 19, 2018, 02:28:13 pm »
With the two new midfielders, does anyone think Klopp will have two rather than three forwards in certain games? Maybe two from Salah/Firmino/Mane with Keita behind them or something like that?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #997 on: July 19, 2018, 03:33:06 pm »
One single profile we lack now in the squad is a creative no.8 specialist at creating chances for attacking players. The only way we can solve this issue is if Naby fulfills his potential and makes a similar impact on the team Vvd and Salah made. If this happens we'll move on from not having the likes of Phil, Fekir or Ox in our squad this season. If we get the best out of Naby our forwards will get all the space they need to cause damage in the final third .

On the other hand with a new keeper and improved midfield protection we are in a really good spot to compete for the best defensive record in the league which would allow us to win a lot of games without needing to score too many goals.

Offline bam09

• Brexiteer who lives in Canada. Is alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #998 on: July 19, 2018, 04:07:07 pm »
One player who does stand to gain from Ox's misfortune is Adam Lallana. He was far from sharp last season, with injuries never really allowing him to find a rhythm or match fitness. There's a fair argument that he's past his best, but with a full pre-season, I'm hopeful he can manage to be a useful squad player, if not spot-starter for the club. As long as his legs haven't gone, we know he has the intelligence to initiate the press from midfield, and the technical ability to create space for himself in tight pockets. Hoping for a rebound season from him.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #999 on: July 19, 2018, 05:01:12 pm »
I reckon we're ahead of everyone squad wise barring City. We'll need Klopp's tactics well engrained with the players right from the off. We've now got an outstanding first 11 - not one player is weak or average.

I reckon we can finally sustain a good challenge for the title and do well in the cups too.

It'll be some side/team dynamic that pips this City team to the title.

Ederson, Walker, Kompany, Otamendi, Mendy, Fernandinho, De Bruyne, Silva, Sterling, Sane, Aguero.
Bravo, Danilo, Stones, Laporte, Zinchenko, Delph, Gundogan, B. Silva, Mahrez, Jesus

Circa 800 million quid squad. Fucking mental.

Our first 11 is actually comparable but my word that second string. With Klopp's tactics though, I think we can push them close.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?