Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4129548 times)

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #60800 on: September 5, 2019, 04:20:07 am »
Smith is good but he doesn't sell. Had momentum after the win against Groves and then proceeded to piss it away. Apparently wants PPV money after his WBSS fortune but is no way a PPV fighter in terms of appeal. They were talking about him selling Anfield, he cant even sell Echo. If Iwas Joe, clean up domestically to increase appeal and for big money and then go for the belts

WBA have ordered the John Ryder mandatory and that at the Echo will be a tough sell. As for Anfield, they’ll never get Canelo over here, would be surprised if they got GGG too so the only big fight left that’d do good numbers would be a unification v BJS.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60801 on: September 5, 2019, 09:40:52 am »
;D

With Kell Brook rapping in Big Fordy.  :o

:lmao :lmao too funny

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60802 on: September 5, 2019, 09:43:49 am »
Call me when he want's to promote Fordy vs The Rest of RAWK.  I want in on that.  ;D

You don't want a bit of me I have:

Defence like Mayweather
Attack like Tyson.

;D

Just out of interest to all rawk boxing fans. If you could be a mix of 2 boxers ever which boxers would pick?

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #60803 on: September 5, 2019, 10:19:16 am »

Defence like Mayweather
Attack like Tyson.

;D

Just out of interest to all rawk boxing fans. If you could be a mix of 2 boxers ever which boxers would pick?

Duran and Leonard. Which reminds me...it's #TBT day...

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60804 on: September 5, 2019, 10:55:28 am »
Throwback Thursday

Manny 'Pacman' Pacquiao vs Eric 'El Terrible' Morales

This week is a look back at the trilogy between two of the best to ever lace them up, god bless the little guys. Whilst this wasn't necessarily the best trilogy of all time, they were intrinsically linked for two years, fighting early in 2005 before finally having a rubber match at the end of 2006. No drama, just a desire to see who was the better man at Super Feather Weight. An amazing period of boxing.

These two will feature a few more times to reflect back on other foes during the period such as Juan Manuel Marquez and the baby faced assassin himself, Marco Antonio Barerra.

By the time Pacman and Morales fought, Manny was already a 3 weight world champion going on an absolute tear at the lower weights and having already beaten Barerra and drawing with Juan Manuel Marquez. Morales had already completed his own trilogy with Barerra but was considered to be the underdog in their first fight.

Pacquiao, unbelievably started fighting at Flyweight in 1995 and still an active fighter today having just beat Keith Thurman at Welterweight. He is an 8 division champion, the only one in history and has a current fight record of 62-2-7 (39 KO's). Eric Morales also held titles in 4 weight classes being the first Mexican to do so. He finished his career with a record of 52-0-9 (36KO's) and fought some of the best guys of any generation of boxing.

If you haven't seen these fights, congratulations, you're in for a massive fucking treat!

Fight 1
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/SbOMFS-Wfn0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/SbOMFS-Wfn0</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbOMFS-Wfn0

Fight 2
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/CGknwOjzPTM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/CGknwOjzPTM</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGknwOjzPTM

Fight 3
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/avVawmQUmQQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/avVawmQUmQQ</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avVawmQUmQQ

Eric Morales - Greatest Hits will do a bit more on Manny in the next few weeks
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/gCwYCK_99hQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/gCwYCK_99hQ</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCwYCK_99hQ

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60805 on: September 9, 2019, 02:37:42 pm »
I preferred the Morales v Barrera trilogy personally.  :D

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #60806 on: September 9, 2019, 06:25:47 pm »

Defence like Mayweather
Attack like Tyson.

;D

The excitement of Hughie Fury and the punch power of Paulie Malignaggi.

Or you could just go with Sugar Ray Robinson and save yourself the trouble  :)

Or defense like Whitaker and attack like Archie Moore.

I noticed Roy Jones Junior in the first video. I'm not sure if modern casuals realise just how fucking amazing he was at his peak. One of the very best ever IMO.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60807 on: September 9, 2019, 08:14:55 pm »
Chisora has been at it again at the press conference if anyone saw it. He does have a point though, got no idea who Taylor and Progais are or why on earth they're headlining a card with Chisora v Parker on it

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #60808 on: September 9, 2019, 10:08:01 pm »
Chisora has been at it again at the press conference if anyone saw it. He does have a point though, got no idea who Taylor and Progais are or why on earth they're headlining a card with Chisora v Parker on it

Come off it, Joseph Parker could put a glass eye to sleep & Chisora has lost 9 out of 11 fifty/fifty fights in his career.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60809 on: September 10, 2019, 01:08:19 am »

No one gives a fuck about Chisora or Parker  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #60810 on: September 10, 2019, 07:36:02 am »

number 1 & 2 ranked at 140, both world champions in a unification fight...

or Parker vs Chisora in a nothing fight to reel in the matchroom fanboys

I know which i'd rather

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60811 on: September 10, 2019, 09:11:42 am »
I preferred the Morales v Barrera trilogy personally.  :D

Hold your horses you!

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60812 on: September 10, 2019, 09:46:05 am »
True Chisora and Parker are both journeymen but I do like a good heavyweight scrap.

That TBT takes me back to a great period in boxing with top talent like Cotto, Mosley, Martinez, Calzaghe, De La Hoya, prime Mayweather/Pacquiao,  etc.

Canelo v Kovalev close to being made for Nov 2nd. Same night as UFC 244 so guess I'll be giving it a miss. Can't imagine Kovalev will pull off any kind of upset here.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60813 on: September 10, 2019, 10:58:38 am »
Heavyweight Boxer Tyson Fury | Hotboxin' with Mike Tyson | Ep 47 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4NCtBSX-Z0

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60814 on: September 10, 2019, 12:47:58 pm »
True Chisora and Parker are both journeymen but I do like a good heavyweight scrap.

That TBT takes me back to a great period in boxing with top talent like Cotto, Mosley, Martinez, Calzaghe, De La Hoya, prime Mayweather/Pacquiao,  etc.

Canelo v Kovalev close to being made for Nov 2nd. Same night as UFC 244 so guess I'll be giving it a miss. Can't imagine Kovalev will pull off any kind of upset here.

No having Parker as a journeyman at all. Hugely unlucky against Whyte who benefited with the clash of heads (ridiculously called a KD by IJL) and hung on for dear life at the end. A proper ref and he probably wins that

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60815 on: September 10, 2019, 08:48:58 pm »
Parker , former world champ who gave AJ and Whyte a fight and defeated Andy Ruiz. If he's a journeyman then so are they.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60816 on: September 10, 2019, 10:06:22 pm »
He's.... a bit shit though isn't he lads?

You can make a case that Hughie Fury and Ruiz both beat him. He had the piss taken out of him for 12 rounds by Razvan Cojanu. His most recent win is against a fella who'd won 2 in 6 and drives a DHL truck from Monday to Friday.

I think he's just a bit too nice for a heavyweight, no real killer instinct. He let Whyte bully him, wanted to touch gloves after Whyte kicked him in the balls at one point.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60817 on: September 10, 2019, 10:47:57 pm »
He's.... a bit shit though isn't he lads?

You can make a case that Hughie Fury and Ruiz both beat him. He had the piss taken out of him for 12 rounds by Razvan Cojanu. His most recent win is against a fella who'd won 2 in 6 and drives a DHL truck from Monday to Friday.

I think he's just a bit too nice for a heavyweight, no real killer instinct. He let Whyte bully him, wanted to touch gloves after Whyte kicked him in the balls at one point.
God no! Fury did fuck all in that fight. Parker was muck, true, but was a comfortable winner I think. He is a solid HW in an era with no really good ones. Wouldn't be a world champion in many other eras (perhaps immediately post Tyson when Damiani was a champ FFS). Then again, I don't believe Charles Martin would be a champ in any other era; even Primo Carnera was better than him!  ;D

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60818 on: September 10, 2019, 11:35:20 pm »
Parker can only knockout Samoan bouncers and 50 year olds like Frans Botha.

All his knockouts came against those opponents.

Those 3 fights he had with Takem Cojanu and Ruiz almost put me to sleep.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60819 on: September 11, 2019, 12:16:46 am »
Parker's not an entertaining fighter. Granted he was unlucky with referee's against Joshua who wouldn't let him box on the inside and against Whyte who got away with roughing him up. If his camp have any sense they'll ask for an Overseas one against Chisora.

Really enjoyed watching Michael Buffer on Hotboxin with Mike Tyson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPRXnzOjggA&t=2595s

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60820 on: September 11, 2019, 09:19:41 am »
God no! Fury did fuck all in that fight. Parker was muck, true, but was a comfortable winner I think. He is a solid HW in an era with no really good ones. Wouldn't be a world champion in many other eras (perhaps immediately post Tyson when Damiani was a champ FFS). Then again, I don't believe Charles Martin would be a champ in any other era; even Primo Carnera was better than him!  ;D

I might have nodded off to be fair...  Ruiz was a lot closer though, although that result has been put in perspective a bit.

Charles Martin is a good benchmark.  He only became champ because Glazkov fell over ;D

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #60821 on: September 13, 2019, 09:46:30 pm »

Really enjoyed watching Michael Buffer on Hotboxin with Mike Tyson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPRXnzOjggA&t=2595s
How good does buffer look for 74 .. also his & tyson's knowledge about boxing.. great watch.
several other good ones too.. Steve O, Tyson fury.. best bits for me is Mike when he gets the giggles  ;D  .. just great to see him in a good place.. & being Mike... not just Tyson  8)
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60822 on: September 13, 2019, 10:08:45 pm »
How good does buffer look for 74 .. also his & tyson's knowledge about boxing.. great watch.
several other good ones too.. Steve O, Tyson fury.. best bits for me is Mike when he gets the giggles  ;D  .. just great to see him in a good place.. & being Mike... not just Tyson  8)
:o Refuse to believe Buffer is 74. Had him down as 62 at most. He's lived a fairly comfortable life I guess, getting paid an insane amount for travelling the world and doing what he loves.

Fury v Wallin tomorrow night. Yet another bum he'll probably take out inside 4 rounds.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #60823 on: September 13, 2019, 10:09:32 pm »
:o Refuse to believe Buffer is 74. Had him down as 62 at most. He's lived a fairly comfortable life I guess, getting paid an insane amount for travelling the world and doing what he loves.

Fury v Wallin tomorrow night. Yet another bum he'll probably take out inside 4 rounds.

Even more impressive considering he's fought throat cancer

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60824 on: September 13, 2019, 11:21:03 pm »
Canelo v Kovalev confirmed for 02/11

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/13/canelo-alvarez-sergey-kovalev-fight-november

Kovalev is 7/2 with a few of the UK bookies at the moment which seems worth a punt.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:42:00 pm by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60825 on: September 13, 2019, 11:46:28 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/13/canelo-alvarez-sergey-kovalev-fight-november

Kovalev is 7/2 with a few of the UK bookies at the moment which seems worth a punt.

A good big man always beat a good smaller man. It's just a case of how much Kovalev has left in the tank but his last 2 fights suggest he has learned from previous mistakes.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60826 on: September 14, 2019, 12:13:30 am »

I think it might be a bridge too far for Canelo that.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60827 on: September 14, 2019, 12:26:59 am »
Just for perspective going off boxrec. Canelo started his career aged 15/16 at c140. The last couple of years in his late 20s he's been fighting around 160. Kovalev fights at the LHW limit of 175. So Canelo is essentially cramming in c10-15 years of previous weight gain into 6 months.

Even taking into account his previous ability to hit weight and come into the ring looking massive that is a big ask. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 12:44:57 am by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60828 on: September 14, 2019, 07:58:21 am »
Kovalev is on the slide and Canelo has been smart in picking his time. Comfortable win on points

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60829 on: September 14, 2019, 08:12:42 am »
Just for perspective going off boxrec. Canelo started his career aged 15/16 at c140. The last couple of years in his late 20s he's been fighting around 160. Kovalev fights at the LHW limit of 175. So Canelo is essentially cramming in c10-15 years of previous weight gain into 6 months.

Even taking into account his previous ability to hit weight and come into the ring looking massive that is a big ask. 

Putting on weight quickly is easy for Canelo. Just needs plenty of that special Mexican beef...

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60830 on: September 14, 2019, 11:51:36 am »
Kovalev is on the slide and Canelo has been smart in picking his time. Comfortable Dubious as fuck win on points
Fixed for accuracy.

Offline Lee-87

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60831 on: September 15, 2019, 12:39:02 am »
Honestly think Canelo KO's him in the mid-late rounds. Few years ago i would've thrown a wedge of money at Kovalev but his recent fights i've seen, his gas tank seems gone. If Yarde had a better engine or paced himself a bit i think he would've gotten him outta there eventually.

Canelo has great stamina, a high work rate and is precise and technical, even with the size difference, i think we see Kovalev start to tire in the 5th and the ref steps in not long after. Canelo for a stoppage win rounds 6-9 for me.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #60832 on: September 15, 2019, 04:26:44 am »
Some streams for Fury: https://sportsurge.net/#/streamlist/412

I'm on the first, seems ok so far.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #60833 on: September 15, 2019, 04:33:19 am »
Some streams for Fury: https://sportsurge.net/#/streamlist/412

I'm on the first, seems ok so far.
Ta...  :thumbup
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60834 on: September 15, 2019, 06:01:18 am »
Mad fight. Fury wants to punish him for that cut. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #60835 on: September 15, 2019, 06:10:36 am »
Cutsman deserves a rise keeping him in the ring with both of those. Should be a clear 6 or 7 rounds though.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60836 on: September 15, 2019, 10:34:32 am »
Honestly think Canelo KO's him in the mid-late rounds. Few years ago i would've thrown a wedge of money at Kovalev but his recent fights i've seen, his gas tank seems gone. If Yarde had a better engine or paced himself a bit i think he would've gotten him outta there eventually.

Canelo has great stamina PEDS, a high work rate and is precise and technical, even with the size difference, i think we see Kovalev start to tire in the 5th and the ref steps in not long after. Canelo for a stoppage win rounds 6-9 for me.

Fixed that for you.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60837 on: September 15, 2019, 11:10:31 am »
Just watched the fight, terrible cut, a lot of refs would've stopped that.  Credit to Wallin, he's a lot better than anyone thought and he should get some decent paydays now.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60838 on: September 15, 2019, 02:36:23 pm »
Good thing for Fury the fight wasn't in the UK. It was a war of attrition just dealing with that cut but the rounds won't do him any harm. I can't see any other tune up fights before the Wilder rematch as any problems with the cut again could scupper it.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60839 on: September 15, 2019, 03:55:27 pm »
Good thing for Fury the fight wasn't in the UK. It was a war of attrition just dealing with that cut but the rounds won't do him any harm. I can't see any other tune up fights before the Wilder rematch as any problems with the cut again could scupper it.

I reckon the fight gets stopped if is Wallin suffering that cut, UK or USA and that Fury gets reprieved in UK with that cut. Reminded me of Hatton's against Thaxton back in the day